946 replies to this topic

#781 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostbobF, on 01 September 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

I blame society, where the modern social engineering of the american male has generally turned most of you into weak simpletons. The aggressive sociopaths left are inducted into the security forces. Reducing the scope of that statement to the context of gaming in general, then this game specifically, the upshot is that most of you should shake the sugar out of your panties. You're like the whiny kids that worry about being ganked in pvp, even if that person is only marginally more powerful. Your like the carebears that demand pvp lakes and massive restrictions/boundaries on combat so their mat farming pve isnt interrupted. You're like the qq'er that sheds rivers over perceived imbalance, and demands a dev fix the problem instead of stepping up. Finally, you're like the mouthbreather that derives self-worth from pointless and ephemeral online gaming.

Sync dropping is not an epidemic. It's more than likely a once-in-a-hundred game annoyance if there's a group out there truly trying to "farm" using this method. It's the same thing when running into an aimbotter in a punkbuster/VAC protected game. It happens. If it bugs you, leave the game and re-queue/join another server. No big deal, BECAUSE ITS A FRAKIN VIDEO GAME. This is the prime reason why if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you. If it does bother you, please refer to the first paragraph of this post.

I hope that clears things up.

Well this reply has managed to lump the synch droppers in with the aim botters, something I agree with, because both are cheating. While looking like he was defending both. Well done. :)

#782 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

While pugging I've actually had players advertize their units while they were sync dropping. I guess it's back in fashion.

#783 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Of course. Why should units ever STOP advertising themselves? Not all Lone Wolves want to remain lone wolves. IN fact, most new players who are lone wolves learn that to truly enjoy the game, you NEED to join a group.

#784 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

I think Lockwood was pointing out the irony of advertising for your unit while doing something like sync dropping, which tends to make your unit look bad.

#785 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostRoland, on 01 September 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

I think Lockwood was pointing out the irony of advertising for your unit while doing something like sync dropping, which tends to make your unit look bad.

Totally agree, very bad form.

#786 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Okay... I'm out. The people who need to know why, do.

#787 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

To all involved in this conversation, greetings from the Seraphim Regiment.

I have had a good and fruitful conversation privately with Roland and I appreciate the wisdom of his words.

As the commander of the Seraphim, I state publicly here and now that the Seraphim Regiment is formally ceasing and desisting from all Scramble activities that take place in single player queues.

I want to publicly apologize to anyone that I have offended for not noticing this issue earlier and addressing it. I promise you, there will be no more sync drops in the single player server. It does not matter who else does it or how long the practice has continued, it does not make it right.

In the Seraphim, we try to always do what is right. In this regard, we have failed our community and, for that, I apologize.

With that being said, our Scrambles will resume Friday night in the group queues.

Peace to you and yours,

Col. Alex Reed

#788 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

I personally think there are bigger issues to grip about.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 01 September 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#789 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 01 September 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

Well this reply has managed to lump the synch droppers in with the aim botters, something I agree with, because both are cheating. While looking like he was defending both. Well done. :)

You missed the part where I lump everyone who whines about pvp adversity (and cries to the devs about it) have small shriveled testes, self-esteem issues, and room temperature iq. I also thought it was well done.

edit: the public apology was priceless. [REDACTED]

Edited by Mal, 01 September 2014 - 09:31 PM.
Removed inappropriate Content

#790 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostRoland, on 01 September 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Firstly, the problem with that statement was that it equated the fact that someone was part of a Unit with the assumption that that person was sync dropping.

Secondly, I don't see the point of advertising my unit in the group queue since people there are already highly likely to be in Units. If I'm looking for recruits, I'd drop in the solo queue and advertise there. Then again, I'm prepared to help train up new pilots so maybe that's the difference?

#791 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

Like I was trying to say, the apology above was priceless, reminding me of this archived news story, published by a major news entity on their official site, conforming to federal decency laws, and in no way inappropriate:

[REDACTED]

Edited by Mal, 01 September 2014 - 09:43 PM.
Removed link

#792 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

I blame society, where the modern social engineering of the american male has generally turned most of you into weak simpletons. The aggressive sociopaths left are inducted into the security forces.

Oh, isn't that precious, he thinks he's a sociologist now! :rolleyes:

#793 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

<mod hat on>

It's a game folks. I get that people are passionate about it, but.. let's leave the comparison to certain real world crimes out. It's inappropriate, and doesn't help ANYONE make their argument.

If people can't post, while keeping the code of conduct in mind, the thread will be closed.

Posted Image

<mod hat off>

#794 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostAlex Reed, on 01 September 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

I have had a good and fruitful conversation privately with Roland and I appreciate the wisdom of his words.

As the commander of the Seraphim, I state publicly here and now that the Seraphim Regiment is formally ceasing and desisting from all Scramble activities that take place in single player queues.

I want to publicly apologize to anyone that I have offended for not noticing this issue earlier and addressing it. I promise you, there will be no more sync drops in the single player server. It does not matter who else does it or how long the practice has continued, it does not make it right.

In the Seraphim, we try to always do what is right. In this regard, we have failed our community and, for that, I apologize.

With that being said, our Scrambles will resume Friday night in the group queues.

Peace to you and yours,

Col. Alex Reed

My respect and admiration sir.

#795 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

I blame society, where the modern social engineering of the american male has generally turned most of you into weak simpletons. The aggressive sociopaths left are inducted into the security forces. Reducing the scope of that statement to the context of gaming in general, then this game specifically, the upshot is that most of you should shake the sugar out of your panties. You're like the whiny kids that worry about being ganked in pvp, even if that person is only marginally more powerful. Your like the carebears that demand pvp lakes and massive restrictions/boundaries on combat so their mat farming pve isnt interrupted. You're like the qq'er that sheds rivers over perceived imbalance, and demands a dev fix the problem instead of stepping up. Finally, you're like the mouthbreather that derives self-worth from pointless and ephemeral online gaming.

Sync dropping is not an epidemic. It's more than likely a once-in-a-hundred game annoyance if there's a group out there truly trying to "farm" using this method. It's the same thing when running into an aimbotter in a punkbuster/VAC protected game. It happens. If it bugs you, leave the game and re-queue/join another server. No big deal, BECAUSE ITS A FRAKIN VIDEO GAME. This is the prime reason why if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you. If it does bother you, please refer to the first paragraph of this post.

I hope that clears things up.

Okay, so the answer is you feel slighted by smart people and believe that anyone who doesn't feel like you do about anything is just fundamentally wrong and an inability to grasp the underlying intent of building a civilization (the imposition of human social elements like 'justice', 'right/wrong' and other moral constructs and such on an inherently unjust and uncaring environment, the cumulative benefits inherent in raising opportunity for everyone to elevate the collective average, etc) and where that reaches into everything we do from games to making war. The assumption that you're somehow 'above all that' is a pretty good indicator of being dead weight. That's cool though, society packs that dead weight along anyway because in the long run the potential that such people might even accidentally provide something of true collective worth can offset the minimal energy in dragging them along.

In any game from chess to MW:O there are rules because they are what define the game. That is, in fact, what makes it a 'game' and not people just sitting around making **** up. When the rules fail or someone exploits a flaw you fix the flaw, you don't ignore it. If you simply ignore the flaw you're failing to make a good game.

Also.... ad freaking hominem bobF. You don't have to do that every single post. An actual legitimate argument, an argument that has value, argues the point in question and not the person behind it. When you base your argument off of sweeping assumptions about the people involved as a way to imply their arguments don't have value because you (erroneously) assume you know what sort of people they are and 'people like that don't have good arguments' isn't just bad it's so bad that a whole branch of logical fallacies had to be named and defined to cover them.

When your argument every time is a logical fallacy, a textbook style logical fallacy, maybe it's worth stopping to look at your argument again. Currently you don't really have one outside of 'It don't bother me so if it bothers anyone else they're just worthless and weak'. That's not an argument it's an ignorant opinion.

Hey though, as you said, if that's the case then back to paragraph one - the bit about having to carry dead weight. It's cool, I got you. Shine on you crazy diamond.

View PostKjudoon, on 01 September 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Of course. Why should units ever STOP advertising themselves? Not all Lone Wolves want to remain lone wolves. IN fact, most new players who are lone wolves learn that to truly enjoy the game, you NEED to join a group.

Side note - I have absolutely no issue with groups who advertise in game in the pug queue. Especially if the person in question plays well and uses chat, etc. There is no better advert for a group than being a good team player in the pug queue, win or lose.

View PostAlex Reed, on 01 September 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Peace to you and yours,

Col. Alex Reed

Cool apology and I appreciate where that came from. Due props for stepping into this thread, of all places, to say it too.

Also this may be the first time anyone actually followed a suggestion Roland made. Let us all know how that works out for you.

:P

#796 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

View PostRoland, on 01 September 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I can't believe that people are so bad they need to sync drop in the solo queue to avoid fighting other groups.

To bad for groups, not good enough for solo.

Advertising your group in the soloqueue is no problem,
there is the place where you can recruit new members.

Edited by Galenit, 02 September 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#797 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 01 September 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

While pugging I've actually had players advertize their units while they were sync dropping. I guess it's back in fashion.

Why shouldn't it be? Personally I am not the advertising type, but Solo players may not be solo by choice. And the real game is getting....
closer.

Also, 40 pages of waa cycle (meaning both sides), and nothing official either way in 10 days! I would chalk this up to being a non issue to the DEVs PoV.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 02 September 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#798 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 September 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

stuff

Oh you. Who's feeling slighted here, the guy playing a video game and enjoying the temporary leisure, or the OP and his supporters demanding something be done by these terrible, terrible sync droppers? As for the underlying intent on building a civilization, since you brought it up, has never had anything to do with moral constructs, or elevating the collective average. Just look at this game. It's entire purpose is monetization. "No problem Mischief, et al, we'll get on that sync dropping problem right away. Have you heard about today's mech sale?"

Go ahead and make all the assumptions about me you want, use some choice terms you remember from HS debate class, and proclaim that not addressing the "flaw" of sync dropping makes MWO a bad game. It's already a bad game, sync dropping is really the least of your worries, but your crusade for the solo qer has borne at least some fruit. It feels swell having your imagined moral superiority confirmed by offering a gracious acceptance of apology, amirite?

These posts are so typical, different iterations of the same arguments over and over. "Dear forum and devs. I am outraged at perceived shortcomings of your game. It's well known I have mad skills/been here since beta/have contributed over 9000 dollars/ worked in the gaming industry, and am generally regarded as a genius prodigy among my peers. Fix this issue now. Signed, the standard online gamer." You're telling me you don't see the same thing, and we should logically and elaborately argue what, that sync dropping is evil? If it's an exploit or not? If it's "allowed?" If the people doing it are just baddies trying to farm and grief? Please.

The alarmist OP already had people trying the reasonable argument route. Devs were quoted and now you guys want to deconstruct that too. You don't want honest debate or you would've acknowledge at least one (1) point from someone else, who did try to reasonably present things. You're absolutely certain of your position, despite the lucid observations of others. Therefore, neckbeardism. And when we reach neckbeardism, we get a 40 page thread that Blood Wolf would be jealous of. So OF COURSE it's time to start questioning the human behind the idiocy. Since we can observe patterns of idiocy over and over again in any forum ever, like metadata of human behavior, we can start making educated guesses.

That being said, really, what's more likely:

Someone brought up a genuine issue, that can be confirmed with metrics, affecting the vast majority of the solo q, and should be seriously addressed

or

someone needs their diaper changed.

Really now.

#799 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostMal, on 01 September 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

<mod hat on>

It's a game folks. I get that people are passionate about it, but.. let's leave the comparison to certain real world crimes out. It's inappropriate, and doesn't help ANYONE make their argument.

If people can't post, while keeping the code of conduct in mind, the thread will be closed.

Posted Image

<mod hat off>

I thought this was the Handheld games should be held at a safe distance for eye safety placard!?!

#800 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

So I took a bit of time off of this thread, and had decided to pull a few links for the advertised events. Events that have been going on for almost 2 years at this point. And then send in a petition with those links and ask for some sort of official statement. Low and behold look what I found. I don't believe I could say it better myself, Thanks.

MischiefSC
Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think I saw you guys last night. Tons of Marik tags in the screen, a lot more chatter than normal. It was fun.

It's a social game. It's not single-player. There is a world of difference between organized teams of players trying to drop together in order to have a 'tactical edge' and a big group of people wanting to play in big stompy robots together.

This is a good example of what WMO should be in a casual sense, I'm all for it and it sounds like a great idea. TS or not players communicating with players makes the game more enjoyable. Joking, playing in chat, god forbid organizing in your own team a bit even, it's all good stuff.

Good on you House Marik. Organizing players to have fun together is more than team training, all due props for focusing on fun for a night. The whole game is better for that kind of thing.

**Forum Hero** GL HF FMP
Bishop Steiner: "It's a whole barrel full of monkeys. drunken, sexually deviant monkeys smoking ganja and planning to take the world away from humanity."[/color]

Edit: looks a bit bad no matter how I try to format it better so here is the link.

http://mwomercs.com/...ar/page__st__20

[/color]

Edited by QuackAttack, 02 September 2014 - 12:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users