Medium Mech Jocks: What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Rides, And Why?

BattleMechs

166 replies to this topic

#121 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 27 August 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Great Bishop :)
This is esactly the striker AA1 I was planning to built next week.
But with 2 JJ less, and more speed (xl 295)

oops...supposed to be this

GRF-1N

but glad the 1AA was useful too

Yeah, I have a 295 right now, and TBH, I don't see the 6 kph difference as a big deal.

#122 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Generally speaking, I like the Blackjack because you can see both barrels of your guns blasting away at your opponent. Then the Centurion, because of versatility.

#123 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

oops...supposed to be this

GRF-1N

but glad the 1AA was useful too

Yeah, I have a 295 right now, and TBH, I don't see the 6 kph difference as a big deal.

Yea, I know, only to say we had the same idea.

I would like this built to have the cicada cap engines :)

#124 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

View Postxengk, on 26 August 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

More than half the server is piloting medium?!
Such a glorious sight.

I have to switch to my AWS 8Q to able to get in a match.

Posted Image

One word: "NOVA"

#125 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

My favorite mediums are Treb 7K (gauss + erppc or AC20 + 2 medium lasers),Centurion 9AL (2 LPL,2 mediums,XL275) and Treb 3C (380 XL + 1 LPL + 3 medium lasers)

#126 Madadh

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I am very dedicated to my love as a faster skirmisher type. As such my love of the Stormcrow ever since MW2 has continued. Currently my primary configuration is a UAC-10, ER PPC, and ER MLas.

Special mention goes to my Dragon 1C. In the land of Clan mediums and such it might technically be a heavy... but it's slower and has less firepower than my Stormcrows. I still love it, though. Poor Dragon.

Edited by Madadh, 27 August 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#127 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 27 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

One word: "NOVA"

No Va. In Spanish: "No Go".

#128 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

No Va. In Spanish: "No Go".

As in "No go anywhere near that damn thing unless you want your face melted off with lazers!" :)

#129 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

View Postcdlord, on 27 August 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

As in "No go anywhere near that damn thing unless you want your face melted off with lazers!" :)

as in No, go ahead and buy that..... I'll enjoy popping your arms off easier that potting a Catapults CT!

#130 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Nova nova nova. OMG. This is what I always wanted my Jenner to be but had to settle for being really fast instead.

#131 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

1) GRID-IRON - Basically the same as my standard 4G loadout, although that one trades the extra heat sink for extra ammo. The 4G was my third mech and has been my go-to workhorse almost since I started playing. I love this thing...

2) HBK-4SP - Since the fixing of SRMs, this has been one of my new favorite mechs. I had switched to a build running a STD275 with 2xSRM6 due to the terrible hit reg, but the fix has allowed me to go back to this bad boy that has ASRMs and more ammo.

3) HBK-4H - Little cousin of the 4G/Grid Iron workhorse. The AC/10 gives me room for an extra ML as well as reloads faster and carries more ammo than the AC/20. I still prefer my AC/20, but this can be a fun one to run, especially since the extra range on the AC/10 gives more flexibility in terms of engagement range.

4) HBK-4J - I didn't own a 4J for a LONG time, because it just seemed like something I couldn't make a build for where another HBK could perform better. Then there was the day when they updated the assets on the Hunchbacks and the Hunchless Hunchback became possible. Now this things gets run as a surprisingly fast and heat efficient laser boat with no magnet hunch to get blown off half way through a fight.

5) HBK-4P - Second mech I ever owned. This is a modified Party Back with 2xML's in the arms for some extra range capabilities beyond 100m. It doesn't always work, but when it does, this is a FUN mech to ride in.

Edit: And yes, all my favorite Mediums are Hunchbacks. I own Cents, BJ's, Kintaros, Griffons and Wolverines as well...but I always keep coming back to the old, reliable Hunchback.

Edited by Doctor Proctor, 27 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#132 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostVaskadar, on 27 August 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

Blackjack 1X - 6 medium lasers and other forms of firepower to back it up. You will be hitting for 30 damage each time you fire off those 6 ML. Going 110 KPH with an XL 280 engine is no joke if you want to ruin someone's torso.

What do you need an XL in there for? You can fit the six medium lasers with two smalls, a Standard 280, and five extra heatsinks. All you have to sacrifice is two points of armor off of the head.

Try it; it's much more durable and the difference in cooling is negligible in application.

#133 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 August 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

What do you need an XL in there for? You can fit the six medium lasers with two smalls, a Standard 280, and five extra heatsinks. All you have to sacrifice is two points of armor off of the head.

Try it; it's much more durable and the difference in cooling is negligible in application.

eh, for me, it's cuz I need tonnage...so I can give my BJ-1X moar Wub.

But If I WAS going the 6 Medium route, I would say 57% cooling BJ-1X beats the pants off of 36% BJ-1X?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 August 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#134 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

On paper, sure. In practice, you won't survive long enough in a situation where that dissipation might matter because A.) you have 45-tonner armor levels and B.) you are using an XL. The BJ-1X is a quick striker; you get in, dump damage, then lead the enemy on a merry chase back to your friends or else he lets you go so you can repeat the procedure. Alternatively, you're firing from cover. Because of all that, you don't need the dissipation and the dissipation you get from 15 DHS is more than sufficient to sustain six Medium Lasers in combat. It's enough to remove a Dire Wolf/Atlas side-torso from the front without overheating and still have some capacity left over to shoot something else.

As for wubz...that's an interesting take on it. You can improve it by dropping down to an XL280 and adding one more heatsink. Still, I think I prefer this if I'm going for wubbage, though.

#135 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

I can´t name five anymore :unsure:

Right now i can only do magic in this one:

GRF-1N
we´re really getting friends, with plenty of dmg in most matches.

i tried Shadowhawks....but i seem to just can´t handle them... i don´t even know why, since it´s a good chassis and you tend to see many good builds and pilots with it.

i used to do magic with my YLW back then, with ~350 games only in this one...but somehow i suck with it now :)

same goes for my once beloved hunchies

but my GRF really is a keeper now :)

#136 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

As a more medium based pilot now... somehow I got sick of the heavies, I rarely play assaults (since both of those are in demand in any group) I've fallen back into the medium bracket.

1) Loup de Guerre... best Trebuchet of all time, was an ok poptart and mini Panther until the SRM fix, now it's a brawler best, rolls damage so well and can go toe-to-toe with any IS heavy and many a Clan medium.

2) Shadowhawk's - Most versatile medium mech I can have in my line up... regret Overlord but don't regret the Shadowhawk, from poptart, brawlers to LRM boating, it's been the one stop shop.

3) Cicada 3M - What's to say, ECM, ballisitic hardpoint for UAC5 or LBX builds... speed and surprise factor. It freaks the light's!

4) Griffins - Still in the leveling stage but just the combination of JJ and SRM punch give them that edge from the Centurion that I rode in early CB. Still doesn't top my Loup but they get the job done I must say.

5) Blackjack's - Until they broke the guass with their recharge mechanic... that's when I shelved mine since I couldn't long range snipe efficently anymore, and the AC20 really wasn't my style at the time. The speed demon and PPC boat were good friends... sadly better mediums to run around in, particularly in a group.

#137 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

In no specific order (actually ordered by tonnage / armor & ammo config may not be accurate):

CDA-2A
After the X-5 i though i'll hate the Cicadas, but this one is actually really great striker/assassin. Only reason i bought it, was so i can elite the 3M, but i loved it right from my first match, which was on Terra Therma actually.

CDA-3M
One of my favourite mechs for the group-queue, when there are no ECM lights in the team. I really can't handle PPCs so i went for the Lasers.

YEN-LO-WANG
I loved it about half a year ago. Used it for grinding, and it was just fun back than. Haven't played it since the invasion, might be too fragile against clans with the XL, but i really need my mechs to be fast to enjoy them.

SHD-5M
My favourite mech after the Phoenix package release. Haven't played it for quite some time. Build might not be up to paar anymore.

SHD-2K
Took me a while to figure out what to do with this one, and this loadout looks weak, but turned out to be quite strong for me. Not sure if i really ended up with 5t of SRM ammo though... May be i use more JJ or AMS instead, not sure.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 28 August 2014 - 04:21 AM.

#138 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 27 August 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

3) HBK-4H - Little cousin of the 4G/Grid Iron workhorse. The AC/10 gives me room for an extra ML as well as reloads faster and carries more ammo than the AC/20. I still prefer my AC/20, but this can be a fun one to run, especially since the extra range on the AC/10 gives more flexibility in terms of engagement range.

I somehow hate the AC10. It's such a fragile weapon. It gets destroyed exactly the moment, you loose your armour. The AC20 is much more durable, it simply has more "hp/crit".

Reading this thread has surprised me a lot. I never thought, that I run relatively hot mechs. On most builds that are posted, I'd get rid of heatsink for more weapons/bigger engine.

#139 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

But the AC/10 has that awesome crackly firing sound!

#140 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

eh, for me, it's cuz I need tonnage...so I can give my BJ-1X moar Wub.

But If I WAS going the 6 Medium route, I would say 57% cooling BJ-1X beats the pants off of 36% BJ-1X?

For maximum Wub, this is the build that I use: BJ-1X

It has a few points less on it's alpha, but the ML's have longer range than either the SPL's or the MPL's, making it so that I don't have to get quite as close to unleash maximum damage. Mainly though, I just like this build because it has a 45% cooling efficiency versus 32%. Since I'm mainly using the MPL's the extra cooling allows me to fire longer, eventually switching to chain fire mode when I run really hot.

While yes, a BJ can't stand toe to toe with larger mechs and works better as a strike mech, this extra cooling capacity really comes in handy later in a match when enemies are more distracted and there are open locations that the MPL's can just slice off. It's also surprisingly good at dealing with Light mechs due to the more pinpoint nature of the MPL's. I basically just keep pace and hold down chain fire to continually pump damge into them while either running them off or eventually legging them to leave them open for an alpha.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users