876 replies to this topic

#161 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

I think the 10v12 decision they made, while saddening that they don't want to / can't afford to put in the necessary effort, is acceptable; they are running a business with limited resources, after all. Plenty of good reasons have been given why 10v12 might not be so great for the community. I'll add another:

As a huge Battletech nerd, I've come to favor the role of the mercenary. Mercenaries, among other things, rely on salvage far more than House militaries and the Clans. I intend to use Clan tech, but want to fight as a freebirth mercenary who happened to be lucky enough to receive Clan mechs by the way of salvage. If I had to fight with a bunch of filthy Clanners against my Inner Sphere brethren, I'd feel obligated to commit seppuku.

Edited by Syncline, 05 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#162 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostSyncline, on 05 September 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

I think the 10v12 decision they made, while saddening that they don't want to / can't afford to put in the necessary effort, is acceptable; they are running a business with limited resources, after all. Plenty of good reasons have been given why 10v12 might not be so great for the community. I'll add another:

As a huge Battletech nerd, I've come to favor the role of the mercenary. Mercenaries, among other things, rely on salvage far more than House militaries and the Clans. I intend to use Clan tech, but want to fight as a freebirth mercenary who happened to be lucky enough to receive Clan mechs by the way of salvage. If I had to fight with a bunch of filthy Clanners against my Inner Sphere brethren, I'd be inclined to commit seppuku.

Not in CW you won't. IS use IS tech, clans use clan tech. No mixed tech.
If you are using clan tech you will be fighting for the clans.

#163 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostWolfways, on 05 September 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

Not in CW you won't. IS use IS tech, clans use clan tech. No mixed tech.
If you are using clan tech you will be fighting for the clans.

I guess I'll just have to invest in a nice, keen tanto, then.

#164 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

I hate that almost every time there is a new update, I feel more and more dissapointed in Mechwarrior online. 10 VS 12 is essential to Community Warfare. Clan Stars have 5 mechs, not 4.

On top of that, continually increasing heat on weapons and further underpowering them makes the game less and less enjoyable. There have been such an abundance of nerfs lately and when they all add up, it just robs the game of enjoyment. I want to be able to shoot things more than 2 or 3 times before my mech shuts down and damages itself. What good is having weapons in a computer game if you can use them so rarely that they aren't fun anymore? Or if the punishment for using them far outweighs any enjoyment gained?

Please reconsider your current policy of continual nerfing in the effort of balance to one of BUFFING instead. Clan lasers too powerful? Buff IS lasers. It's simple. If time to kill is too low, increase the armor on all mechs instead.

Please consider your current approach to balance and how dissatisfied it's leaving your customers and please consider changing that approach, because deep down we're all passionate about having big stompy robots and blowing the crap out of things. Can't that bring us together?

#165 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Well my honest feedback is that at least these nerfs look a whole lot more like thought out tweaks.

Which is far better than the nerfhammer we got right after testing. And I am also glad to hear about IS quirks and XL side torso damage reaction for clans. I believe if you take your time and do this well it will add a very much needed depth to the game.
And add much more immersion to battle like we read in the books.

#166 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostSandpit, on 05 September 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

you guys all need to pay more attention, Russ has stated specifically that ranged combat (well over 600m) is not what he, and his "few competitive players" he talks to, want. So get used to long range weapons continuing down the nerf path. PGI started nerfing PPCs and long range weapons shortly after that so I don't see any reason to think this would stop

That's actually not what he said. He said that the majority of combat was taking place within 600m, which he thought was a good thing. That is not the same as "No weapon can go over 600m". I mean, imagine dropping into a match where not a single shot happened under 1km? Would that be fun, yes or no? If you said yes, then that's a VERY different game from what most people here want. If you said no, then ranged weapons can't be the best weapons bar none.

Not to mention, while I'm sorry that your PPC's aren't as good as they used to be, look beyond that to some of the other weapons in the game. I run mostly IS Mediums, so guess what the range on most of the weapons I field is? 540 meters max. So those 600m engagements? Yeah, I can't even engage at that range most of the time, let alone do significant damage. For brawling, which is just as valid a playstyle as sniping, to be viable we needed some nerfs to the range game. I can't brawl if my RT on my Hunchback gets shot off from 800m away the moment I try to move up to the next piece of cover.

#167 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

**** the lore. Cater to Comp players. Get paid.

Thanks for turning the first Mechwarrior title we got in 10 years into "Generic Robot Shooter Online."

This game isn't worth paying for anymore, to me.

#168 Bmetranger

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

PGI and IGP, Hasbro has said you are no longer allowed to NERF anything as their weapons are copyrighted.

Also either your code has gotten really crappy are alot more hacks are being run.

#169 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

As far as 10v12

I participated in the test for this. It just doesn't work. The only way it could work is to make major adjustments and limitations and specific force compositions. 2/2/2/2 doesn't cut it against 3/3/3/3. It just didn't work well. The matches weren't very balanced, the force compositions weren't ever what I'd call "balanced" and we tried several different variations to the force comp as well.

It's nice in theory but it just doesn't work with the way the MM is set up. For this to be feasible, they'd have to completely change the MM as a whole

#170 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

I hate you XXXXXXX PGI
You ruined my favourite build :(

Edited by DrSlamastika, 05 September 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#171 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostDrSlamastika, on 05 September 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

I hate you XXXXXXX PGI
You ruined my favourite build :(

yea? now you know how most of us felt when they slipped ghost heat in without telling anyone.

All of you guys upset, you're just getting s small taste of why many are so cynical now after 2 years going on 3

#172 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

I agree with moving away from 10 v 12. Yeah, it is canon, but so is random hit location. But nobody wants that. Canon is great to a point, but beyond that point it becomes nonviable for a real-time online game/simulation/whatever you call it.

As has been said other places in this thread, I wish PGI had addressed the Clan ST issue before the the weapons issue. That being said, how about this for a starting point:

When a Clan mech loses a side torso, it loses all of the mech skill tree bonuses. Heat handling declines, torso twist slows down, acceleration and braking get sluggish, speed tweak goes away, etc. The mech is not 'unplayable,' but is definitely less effective in combat. You could even view this as an 'emergency back-up system' coming on line, but the back-up system is set to base factory settings.

Just a thought. Not an outrageous nerf, but a solid drop in performance. This should also not be that hard to implement on the coding side (I think).

Edited by bar10jim, 05 September 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#173 Bmetranger

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

On Another Note: Been playing with my Clan tonight and we are all going to have to switch to our IS mechs as our Clan Mechs overheat way to fast and are almost unplayable.

#174 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

I don't get why it is always nerfs that happen and never buffs...

#175 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

View Postbar10jim, on 05 September 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

I agree with moving away from 10 v 12. Yeah, it is canon, but so is random hit location. But nobody wants that. Canon is great to a point, but beyond that point it becomes nonviable for a real-time online game/simulation/whatever you call it.

As has been said other places in this thread, I wish PGI had addressed the Clan ST issue before the the weapons issue. That being said, how about this for a starting point:

When a Clan mech loses a side torso, it loses all of the mech skill tree bonuses. Heat handling declines, torso twist slows down, acceleration and braking get sluggish, speed tweak goes away, etc. The mech is not 'unplayable,' but is definitely less effective in combat. You could even view this as an 'emergency back-up system' coming on line, but the back-up system is set to base factory settings.

Just a thought. Not an outrageous nerf, but a solid drop in performance. This should also not be that hard to implement on the coding side (I think).

losing an ST for a clan mech should just create additional heat output
of course if they had an actual heat scale system with penalties that would also lead to slower speeds and targeting issues as the heat climbed as well but they don't because ghost heat and PGI's heat scale is much better.

#176 Bmetranger

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

I agree on Giving the IS mechs, Lights are scout only let the have Small laser and MG with Narc and Tag.

#177 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostLyskTrevise, on 05 September 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

First of all, its very humble to admit "Hey, we don't have all the answers, but we're trying." I applaud you for this bit of honesty.

Well, it is very much easier than admitting "We actually did not have any plan.", which I am starting to lean on.

#178 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

honestly all in all it looks like a good start like its bean said the clans came in close to the IS
any way meaning you guys thought it through
and on the heat / speed penalty if clan lt/rt destroyed make shure the penalty isnt to big beater to under nerf some thing and need to bump it up then over nerf it an need to try to bring it back

#179 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostDark Jackal, on 05 September 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Uneven teams is simply not an option on a FPS platform regardless of whatever universe you set it in.

Because you seem to be operating from an eSport mindset and not a BattleTech one.

#180 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostMystere, on 05 September 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Well, it is very much easier than admitting "We actually did not have any plan.", which I am starting to lean on.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but imo the "plan" was always to have 12v12, but it's easier to string along the BT fans for longer if you don't tell them that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users