876 replies to this topic

#141 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostSlambert, on 05 September 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Back in the day RnR was introduced and removed.

Perhaps that was a mistake. Certainly I feel balancing IS v Clan in plain 1v1 mech strength might be more difficult.

Accept Clan mechs are stronger. Reintroduce repair cost scaling with mech cost. Clan mechs Would be far harder to maintain and turn a profit. Less cbill for consumables on Clan mechs as well...

I think this is the only right way to balance. Don't break the lore pls.

#142 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

View PostGyrok, on 05 September 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

Wooptie doo...you own one mech...

You have no concept...what so ever...THAT game you described is what a larger portion of the playerbase than you will ever realize actually wants...

THAT would be BattleTech.

Welcome to generic FPS with big stompy robots online...err...I meant...MW:O...Mechwarrior in name only...

You keep telling yourself that while you bury your hand deeper and deeper into the sand.

Nobody wants a "pure" battletech game. Run around shooting once every ten seconds? You're kidding yourself and flat out lying if you're telling me that's what you want in a game. Once you tweak that 10 second rule you have to start tweaking everything else because at that point the whole "balance" goes right out the window.

#143 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

View PostEarlGrey83, on 05 September 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Basically, you´re going with the easy solution instead of doing it right. :(

As usual.

#144 JT Black

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 230 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUK

Russ,
Allow Clans and IS to have their identity and different traits.
Give us the character and identity of what both stand for.

Consider this requests and find common ground, please dont increase the chasm created which keeps increasing with these re designed features.

Allow these people to enjoy a true Battletech feeling.

Regards

#145 Groundpound Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Already said short version on twitter, but I am going to post it here as well. The more eyes that see it... well the more peope will respond with reason. At least that is the plan.

Russ and PGI Staff,

I would like you to rethink. I seriously doubt that any fan of this game, be them new to universe or veteran, Purist or mixtech philosophy, or simply a FPS player that is confused and thinks thats what this is... wants Clan to be Balanced with Innersphere in a 12 v 12 format. We want different. Not just a different feel... but DIFFERENT. If everything is balanced to 12 v 12, sure it may come in a different box, but it is still the same stale ass cereal.

My mom always (just today in fact) reminded me of this saying. "If you are going to take the time to do something, you take enough time to do it right the first time". Let me translate for an MWO specific subject. Real fans, those paying money to support the business, want it dont right. We do not want massed vomit thrown at us quickly and then "fixed" slowly over the course of months. Take the time to do it right.

We want you to take a few more months, and make it so 9 or 10 VS 12 works. We want IS and Clan to be entirely different. We would rather wait and have you take the time to do this right. You say you don't want this to be like every other MW game. The solution is simple. TAKE THE TIME. Take more time, take it and make it right. You guys have shown the passion, you have shown the ability to take ideas and mix them up. Now take the time and the ideas and put them together into the right solution.

We can be pacified quite easily. A couple more Modes, mixed in with a few more maps... maybe even remove the Premium time to Private lobbies, so everyone can play how they want when they want. With this bought time, you will continue to get influx of income AND possibly even have it increased. This will then allow you to TAKE THE TIME.

Please, please take the time to do it right. Make IS and Clan different, make 9 v 12 work... the basic structure for this to work is already in the universe of Battletech. Just take the time.

P.S. Never use Elo and an excuse for something to not work. This is unacceptable because ELO is already broken and always has/will be. Thank you.

#146 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 05 September 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

It's not an edge case. Against an Assault in my HBK I likely have greater speed and torso twist to spread damage and return fire as I retreat. This is exactly the case when I turn the corner into an Atlas. Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't, but it's balanced.

With the Nova I am talking about something else entirely. We have the same armor, same tonnage, same speed, same engine. For all intents and purposes it should be the same as walking around a corner into another HBK, except that under 10v12 I will lose EVERY TIME because it's weapons have to be flat out superior to mine in every single in order to make up for the 2 mech difference. That's not an "edge case" because it applies to every mech in the game. Any time you would have a 1v1 between mechs of the same tonnage the Clan mech would win EVERY TIME, otherwise 10v12 won't work.

That is an edge case...if your group of 12 moves as a unit and uses cover, and the other group, of 10, moves as a unit and uses cover...teamwork will win.

End of discussion.

Your example is only an edge case scenario, that applies to 12 vs 12 the same as 10 vs 10. The proper response to your scenario is learn to play, but I am trying not to be that rude.

#147 Ahja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

*SIGH!* I must be Nostrodomas as I saw this one from the start. So Ill say this. WHY field the Clan at this point if the plan was to gimp them in month two? I did not by the Clan pack for this very reason. This makes PGI look bad? Very bad? I may have seen this coming but I have no idea what your thinking PGI? You should change the name of this game to endless chaos. The long time fans of this franchise deserve better that this.

#148 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 05 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

You keep telling yourself that while you bury your hand deeper and deeper into the sand.

Nobody wants a "pure" battletech game. Run around shooting once every ten seconds? You're kidding yourself and flat out lying if you're telling me that's what you want in a game. Once you tweak that 10 second rule you have to start tweaking everything else because at that point the whole "balance" goes right out the window.

Really, this thread is full of those "nobodies"...in fact, the people who do not want a battletech game appear to be in the minority. You might be spamming this thread with posts to make it look like there are more of you, but you are definitely far fewer in number.

#149 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostJTBlack, on 05 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

Russ,
Allow Clans and IS to have their identity and different traits.
Give us the character and identity of what both stand for.

Consider this requests and find common ground, please dont increase the chasm created which keeps increasing with these re designed features.

Allow these people to enjoy a true Battletech feeling.

Regards

True words! Damn, how are you right ?! Let us enjoy Battletech

#150 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Can you allow people who bought clan mechs or any mech with real money to sell them for 50% mc? At this point I would like to sell all my clan mechs .

#151 Dark Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Don't people know they're playing 'Mech of Duty Online ?

It was obvious the 'Mechs were going to be brought to perform within similar expectations with each other regardless of the tech base they are in. If anyone played this game for two years, even on and off, would know this from the days when the Jenner Lazorz, Guass-Cat, Splat-Cat, Highlander-in-a-box, to whatever the latest "meta" someone wants to run around with. On top that, all the technology tweaks like LRMS and the ECM Cloak of wretchedness and despair just to add into a never ending lottery list of other things could see that this would happen to Clan Tech.

Edited by Dark Jackal, 05 September 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#152 Tarzilman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well, I don't know, what to say.
Just have a look what's going on here an listen to your community.
Oh wait... that's not what you guys usually do. Hm, too bad.

#153 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 05 September 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

You know what?

I'm totally 100% good with all that. The decision to balance lasers with range decrease, damage decrease and heat increase instead of beam duration increases is one I can agree with 100%.

uhm
so then why are you ok with the fact that they increased beam duration? They just reduced it from the original 2.0

#154 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

For those who say that clan players that want 10v12 just want to be more powerful i just want to say that not all of us do.
I can only speak for myself, but i do want 10v12. Even if the clans and IS were perfectly balanced I'd still want 10v12. It's BattleTech.
Every time PGI throw away a bit of lore it makes me want to play the game less. Knowing that there will be only 12v12 has put me off the game so much that i don't even care about CW anymore.

#155 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

You want to know what I think?

How about:

Investing time, and a substantial amount of money to fund something that I thought had SOME promise, was a poor investment on my part. I honestly wish I could go back and retrieve all my time and money that I wasted on you idiots.

I don't care if it'll take a few more months to balance out 10vs12. That's EXACTLY how the game should work. If it was always going to be such a pain in the ass to implement 10vs12, why the hell did you morons even bring it up as a possible solution?!

Clan mechs are SUPPOSED to be superior, at least in the current time frame. There has yet to be a definitive test between Clan and I.S. tech that isn't skewed by the players themselves. Better players with higher performance computers, and good server links will ALWAYS be better. Try a control group of people who've only been playing for a month, with similar ELO. Give half Clan tech, and half I.S. I can all but guarantee that you'll find the tech to be pretty even.

But hey, if your as lazy I we all KNOW you are now, you'll just break **** instead of actually fixing anything. That's the only solution you know!

It's so sad to see people who claim to have a passion for something they create, just turn around and take a massive steamer on everything.

#156 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostNuclearPanda, on 05 September 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

This game is moving further and further away from being an actual Mechwarrior title into being Generic Robot Shooter XXVIV.

You are not the one who defines what an "actual Mechwarrior title" is. What you were asking for is understandable, but impractical.

Maybe someday.

#157 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

Lack of 10v12 I feel really detracts from the feel of MWO. Clans have always been described as fielding in units of 5, and the overall technological improvements should have added together to make a war machine with 20% more mech per mech. That's why they cost more! That's why they are a big deal!

Perhaps these dreams can be preserved if you opt to make a "Lore-Simulation" mode, somewhat like WarThunder's Realism or Simulation modes. A Clan vs IS mode focussing on a 10v12 balance, and icorporation elements and mechanics that are geared to the more committed players, and preserving what we have now as "Arcade" or "Quick Battle" mode.

#158 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

We have come to the conclusion that, for the foreseeable future, this is NOT a viable option for MWO, here are some of the reasons why:
  • UI redesign of the pre-game, scoreboard and end of round screen.
  • New rules for tie breakers surrounding the uneven team sizes
  • Significant re-factoring of the match maker to develop team sizes that don’t match.
  • 'Mech chassis tonnage balancing will no longer work.
  • Elo will no longer work with 10 vs 12 team calculations.
So in other words, it would be "too much work." How in the freaking heck are those (relatively minor btw) problems unable to be addressed? Like, it absolutely baffles me, how you've had 2+ years to work on this game, are making MILLIONS of dollars from purchases, yet you can't do the normal tasks that a freelance team could code in a few weeks.

I am just absolutely livid at this point. If all these things like: recoding the matchmaker, making a map, tweaking the UI, etc. are such complicated tasks, then do the entire IP a favor and just back away. There is absolutely no reason that a GAME STUDIO that's being PAID can seriously be this incompetent at their own freaking JOB!

You change numbers in a spreadsheet. Anything above and beyond that takes months (or years) to accomplish. I recall it was even ADMITTED in the past that issues would always try to be resolved within the framework of what's already been designed. That's cute. Except when those issues CAN'T be resolved by the framework, in which case, it's called doing the job of being a GAME COMPANY to design the way to fix those issues.

I'm freaking done here. I am absolutely not paying 1 cent more for any item in this game, no matter how much I want it. Hopefully some day a competent game company that can actually write code and do their own freaking jobs will take this IP out from under you. I only hope there's something left once you're done with it.

#159 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

This game is getting less and less fun.

If you're going to continue nerfing the fun out of the game, you should think about least getting the engine limitation so we can fully customize clan mechs.

How about standard clan PPC's so we're not stuck with the heat of ER-PPC that are largely useless at range? Or better yet just fix them! How about standard clan engines while you're at it since we're now penalized for losing a torso? Give us something other than more nerfs this is getting sickening!

#160 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 05 September 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

largely useless at range?

you guys all need to pay more attention, Russ has stated specifically that ranged combat (well over 600m) is not what he, and his "few competitive players" he talks to, want. So get used to long range weapons continuing down the nerf path. PGI started nerfing PPCs and long range weapons shortly after that so I don't see any reason to think this would stop

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users