#auniversetoexplore - Part Deux

215 replies to this topic

#61 rusticatedcharm

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Who is going to be publishing the new game?
Where did the funding for the new game development come from?
What is the current status of PGI's business relations with IGP?
Will PGI continue to work with IGP on the new game?

#62 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Bryan, Shouldn't you first complete MW:O to see if you can successfully produce a game? We are well into our 3rd year of production of MW:O and we are barely beyond a Beta level for MW:O.

You seem to be rushing things.

#63 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

1. How did you guys come up with the glorious idea to make a Space Sim?

I mean, c'mon another Space Sim is exactly what the market needs right now! For sure you will have some competitors, but nothing you can't handle.

2. A Space Sim, I'm sure it will be based on Aerotech?

I mean, c'mon, you already got the Battletech IP, so why not? BattleTech + AeroTech + CW = profit, right?

Anyways, somehow I regret buying these clan-packs.

#64 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

(Just a sidenote: It is good to know, that Superman have some Canadian friends, but I really thought, he is for recycling, and not for the pollution of space...)

- Will the new game available just on french language? (I ask it, because those DEUX thing...)

- Will the PR and the marketing of the new the game, the same old "Hide everything, players don't deserve any infos!" PGI-style, or more open, like those few newish trys, like the "What happen in this month" (August update an roll out) was, in the last time here? (Of course, I'm for the open variant..)

#65 Ristle

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

I asked in the last thread, but will MC possibly be a universal PGI shop currency for games, or is it just going to be restricted to MWO?

Will AUTE be connected in any way with MWO?

What engine will it be using on?

And just because it seems popular to do in the modern age, will this new game be on consoles as well? Or how about Steam?

#66 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Dear PGI

Previously as Jarhead games one would claim you had mediocre success in the industry and were relatively an unknown, you have since re-branded but at the core your still the same, your limited work on DNF wouldn't exactly be called a success.

Mechwarrior Online has a chequered history, of ups and downs, your content delivery and balancing and bug fixing is quite possibly the slowest of any online game around, and some of your methods would be deemed questionable.
A large portion of this community would be right in thinking even after 3 years, what we have in MWO is just past a beta stage development.

Given that your still struggling to recruit people you need, and nobody can really call MWO a success at this point, how can your studio manage two separate games?
The development pace will slow to a crawl, leading to one or both games utter failure, we still don't have SLI/Crossfire support in MWO, we still don't have stable servers, we still don't have community warfare, and we still don't have more than a handful of mechs and maps.

Mechwarrior Online was designed to be released as a MVP with continuing content updates, but your announcement to move onto another project side by side makes it seem more that MWO was designed as a cash cow which fits with the release profile of things to purchase as opposed to actual content balance and bug fixes.

How do you plan to ensure that updates to MWO not only continue, but the pace of those updates increases as they should do now you are 3 years in and should have all the tools you need to make content and map additions much much simpler.

and finally an important question
Where have you found the funding for the new game given IGP's reported money troubles, im sure the community would hope it is not from MWO sales.

Edited by DV McKenna, 06 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#67 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Are the rumors that you are working with activision true?

#68 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

View Postzaepp, on 06 September 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

1. How did you guys come up with the glorious idea to make a Space Sim?

I mean, c'mon another Space Sim is exactly what the market needs right now! For sure you will have some competitors, but nothing you can't handle.

2. A Space Sim, I'm sure it will be based on Aerotech?

I mean, c'mon, you already got the Battletech IP, so why not? BattleTech + AeroTech + CW = profit, right?

Anyways, somehow I regret buying these clan-packs.
i WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS!

#69 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

So are there resources being shared? There seems to be a lot of people that are concerned that money they thought was going to support MWO and MWO alone was going to another project, or that PGI will be forced to take devs off of MWO/not expand the team for the sake of the new project.

I think given our limited information about the game these concerns have some justification, especially now that you guys are tackling both the clans and Community Warfare in MWO, which are both pretty big tasks.

Having something to assure people that the new game will not negatively effect MWO beyond "Don't worry it won't" would go a long way to ease a lot of peoples' concerns.

Edited by Haydin, 06 September 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#70 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Why would you throw your hat into the Space Sim Online space knowing that Star Citizen is right around the corner? What are you bringing to the table that is unique that Chris Roberts isn't already doing?

Second, how will this impact further MWO Development? Since the game is already behind schedule how will stretching the focus of your management staff and development staff healthy for the future of MWO?

#71 Diellur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, UK

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

How are you going to convince people to 1) continue to pay for MCs etc in MWO and 2) provide funding for this new venture, given the existing track record of changing deadlines and unfulfilled promises?

Also, what market research have you conducted that demonstrates developing yet another space-sim is a wise venture? E:D and SC are from the two pillars of the space-sim genre; how are you going to convince backers that your game is worth waiting for/investing in, especially in light of the chequered development track record of MWO?

#72 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm all for a new game. In fact I personally actually play more than one game at any given time. I don't have to uninstall an old one to put in a new one. The more games in any genre the better; it promotes growth. I own most the space sims out right now, plenty of people do. The idea that there's this finite 'room' for new ideas is, well, a bad idea. Any business needs to be working on new ideas in addition to growing existing ones or they're going to stagnate. PGI is ready to bring in new stuff. That's good news. This isn't a case of mommy is pregnant so mommy and daddy don't love you anymore.

Anyway. Questions!

1. While I'd love an Aerotech game this clearly isn't one. Are you starting a new IP or at least taking one up that you've got room to play with? MW:O has been plagued in many ways by the depth of lore it brought with it. How is that going to be avoided in the new game?

2. I have no issue with 'sharing resources'. I'd hugely prefer it in fact - it makes for a vastly healthier environment and boosts productivity. MW:O has certainly had its fair share of missteps and high notes. What steps are being taken to leverage that for the new game? At what management level and development level are they interacting? Will they be based out of a different location or will the employees all be in the same location so they can share ideas?

3. With Cryengine development going ****-up how is this impacting engine design or development? Will you continue on with what you've already got or are you taking it another direction i.e. Unreal?

4. Since we know for sure Marketing is going to be shared, can we get some 'lessons learned' for how the new game will bypass the pitfalls of MW:O? Like if new content will be largely in streaming media (twitter for example) and reddit, can we make that integrated into the games community forum? I get the value that sort of content has but if it's going to be a core tool for interacting with customers can we integrate it into a community hub so we don't feel like coming to the official game website is the last place to look for info? If we're starting with a clean slate I just want to know if we're starting with 'things we wish we'd done differently' right out front.

#73 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

So are questions in this thread being answered anywhere else? Because I'm not seeing much in the way of answers to the important questions here :(

You have been making a lot of improvements in the last 3-5 months, PGI, be careful not to throw it away.

#74 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostLogan Hawke, on 06 September 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

So are questions in this thread being answered anywhere else? Because I'm not seeing much in the way of answers to the important questions here :(

You have been making a lot of improvements in the last 3-5 months, PGI, be careful not to throw it away.

Read OP. Monday ;)

#75 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostDystar, on 06 September 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Wow that was quick. I just noticed this about 10 minutes ago and already the entire 12 page post got removed as I was reading it? Now, if only CW part 2 could come out as fast as this post moderation, we'd all be very happy campers :)

On a side note, this is the first time I"ve ever had a 'first' on a thread like this. However do the fact it is a 'redo' and what it's about, I"m not even thrilled enough to scream 'first'.

Fairly annoyed to see that the entire conversation from last night has been deleted myself.

#76 Brothergrimm

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

As a legendary founder, my current personal opinion of MWO design and implementation is somewhere between disappointed and openly offended. In the annoucement page for this project, you say (and I quote):

MechWarrior Online's incredibly successful Founder's Program proved that we can work directly with our backers to help build a game for the community.

In what way does the fact that many founders, myself included, funded the initial vision and promise of a Mechwarrior game prove that PGI can, has, or will ever build a game for a community?

As a founder in this situation, for what reasons should I be interested in your new project?

#77 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Are you going to strive to make community interaction a higher priority on this new game, or even in MWO from here on out.

It seems so many things have been promised in MWO, yet simply haven't been implemented..or worse, removed.

Official use of the Forums also seems somewhat poor, when compared to Twitter. Any chance this will be changed?

#78 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

You want to be serious? How can i take you serious when your just going to say what people wants to hear. There is no way you could have hired a new team when other positions were open for months at the time being. Also the numbers does not match up at all. It's highly disturbing that a developer made today more posts then just over 4 months. I could be wrong, but it feels like it.

That being said, it's very hard (trust me, i am not the only one) of being polite when i found out this morning that you are currently putting efforts in *another* spacegame. While this game is obviously in need of more attention. Original Founders, Overlord & Phoenix and lastly The Invasion have the right to complain. With this kind of attitude you have hit alot of Mechwarrior fans. They feel cheated or perhaps scammed over.

Looking at the slow and painfull progress over the last three years and the recent development i can conclude that this game is getting near his end. Your litterally abandoning the ship already. You, and others repsonsible for this franchise have killed it for me today. I bet today it was the final straw for alot of our beloved BT & Mechwarrior fans.

This game has been proven to be a full cashflow to fund other products. From the start. That's how i feel, Bryan.

I, and alot of people are sick of your minimum viable product. I am sick if your no-ending problems, poor patch quality and bug fixes with the game and the excuses and specifically your mismanagement. No more MC mechs.

If you have changed your attitude, actually listened to the community, made visual and transparency roadmaps and had a proper management that would have been a great start.

But no, instead of that: You just insulted me, and the whole community again. I certainly hope this is another eye-opener (for the third time!) for the people who are wanting to shell out any money.

In the end you wanted to be serious. So here i am. I am deadly serious. Now it's up to you to be serious.

My questions, and i don't expect you to be honest about but i will fire them anyways:

1. What did exactly happened to all funds? Starting from Founders - Overlord (&Phoenix) and lastly The Invasion. Give me full details on what amount of funds is spend on. Give me a chart. Name the projects. You are the one starting a new project, we, the community have the right to know from what funds it's coming.
2. Who is going to be the Publisher of that new game? Name it. And how is it exactly going to publish and raise funds?
3. How will that development cycle going to look like? Because you and i know how "well" MWO is doing.
4. How is your paymodel going to look like?
5. How are you going to find a new community? Bad words are spreading faster then you know..
6. Shared resources. We all knew that resources were fully spend on The Invasion. What resources are going to share with the new game? Name it. Give me numbers of each division.
7. How are you going to regain my trust?

I am looking forward for your serious reply on Monday and i certainly hope you understand my position and many others.

Edited by Sarlic, 06 September 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#79 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 06 September 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Read OP. Monday ;)

Ah, sorry, few ciders in so I think I drifted over that part.

#80 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

A few other replies already said it, but I cant help but wonder if this is related to Mechwarrior in some way.

Either way it looks cyber punk which is where at least a couple upcoming games are going.

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 September 2014 - 11:29 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users