57 replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

So, since all the formatting in my last thread broke this is try number two.

The build thread.
Or, why you have those Mechs collecting dust.

Many new players often post or ask questions about their Mech builds. I've also seen many players who are far from new, but when trying out a new class of Mech absolutely hate whatever they bought. This is the thread that will give you advice on the appropriate way to run each class of weight, and style of Mech.

This is probably a thread where meta-builds will be created. But I came up with all of these builds before they became meta (I checked).

READ THIS: Feedback and advice to new players are welcome. Please do not re-post a build where you move the ammo from the torso to the feet, or swap one weapon or ditch a few tons. Original builds and tips to new players and text posts on tips about builds (specific to one build or otherwise) are more than welcome though!

In this thread, we will review all of the weight classes. We will also have clan builds for every role, and at least one Clan Mech from every weight class.

We will also review the following roles each Mech can play: Brawler, Sniper, Boat, Backliner, Frontliner, Assault, and Support Units.

Terminology:
Spoiler

Roles:
Spoiler

The following builds are to give new players ideas on how to make their own units. Not every unit in this thread will work for everyone. If you're a new player and you liked these builds, please post that! Or, if you would like to comment on the formatting of this thread, that is also welcome!

Credits:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 February 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#2 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:10 AM

Light Mech units:

Brawler:
Spoiler

Sniper:
Spoiler

Boat:
Spoiler

Backliner:
Spoiler

Frontliner:
Spoiler

Assault:
Spoiler

Support Unit:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 February 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

Medium Mech units:

Brawler:
Spoiler

Sniper:
Spoiler

Boat:
Spoiler

Backliner:
Spoiler

Frontliner:
Spoiler

Assault:
Spoiler

Support Unit:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 February 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#4 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Heavy Mech units:

Brawler:
Spoiler

Sniper:
Spoiler

Boat:
Spoiler

Backliner:
Spoiler

Frontliner:
Spoiler

Assault:
Spoiler

Support:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 September 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#5 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

Assault Mech units:

Brawler:
Spoiler

Sniper:
Spoiler

Boat:
Spoiler

Backliner:
Spoiler

Frontliner:
Spoiler

Assault:
Spoiler

Support:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 20 October 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

Clan Mechs:

Brawlers:
Spoiler

Sniper:
Spoiler

Boat:
Spoiler

Backliner:
Spoiler

Frontliner:
Spoiler

Assault:
Spoiler

Support:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 09 October 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#7 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 September 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Feel free to delete this post if it gets in the way of editing (contact a moderator, and you have my permission to delete it), but you are forgetting the role of Skirmisher. Backliner is kind of like it, but there are differences since skirmishers cna operate away from the main group, and rely on long range weapons to harass the enemy from multiple angles.

Also, this is more in the semantics part, but usually boat is not only to LRMs, we have energy boats, ballistic boats, SRM boats ... etc. Fire Support Units, or Artillery would be the exclusive LRM only roles. (FSUs can include LRMishers in this case, or medium LRM boats, while artillery is mostly assault LRM boats, and some havy LRM boats (specifically CPLTs and Orion V, and VA variants)

Please delete that post after I answer your questions/concerns.

Note that in the Roles area I said that in this case it refers to LRMs.

Most Backliners can operate away from the group and are designed for medium/long range. It is up to the player on how to customize the builds to fit their needs.

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Please delete that post after I answer your questions/concerns.

Note that in the Roles area I said that in this case it refers to LRMs.

Most Backliners can operate away from the group and are designed for medium/long range. It is up to the player on how to customize the builds to fit their needs.

Already done.

For future reference. I know it can be annoying, but using the Horizontal Rule
[hr]

Plus spoilers
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

can spare you the pain of posts interrupting your formatting. You can keep everything in one post, and be safe.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 11 September 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#9 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 September 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

Already done.

For future reference. I know it can be annoying, but using the Horizontal Rule
[hr]

Plus spoilers
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

can spare you the pain of posts interrupting your formatting. You can keep everything in one post, and be safe.

Actually, all my URLs became plain text after one point in my first version of this thread. I think there is a limit to URLs per thread.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#10 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostAppogee, on 11 September 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Oookay. Leave you to it then, I guess.

You extracted the text you needed to prove a point, missing everything else I said. That, frankly, only further proves that you think to highly of yourself and less of others.

I said I didn't want feedback because it is up to the player to decide how to customize the build how they want it and because these are to inspire ideas. When you include everything I said it really changes things doesn't it?

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

These builds are to give new players ideas on how to make their own units. Not every unit in this thread will work for everyone.

Just because something does (or doesn't) work for you doesn't mean it does (or doesn't) work for someone else.

#11 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 September 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

One thought for the Assault sniper though - a lot of people seem to like Stalkers for that, due to the high E mounts in the arms.
Stick PPC or (ER)LL in them, and they hill hump good, I am told (haven't really tried it yet)

Point made and taken (since you were rational about it). However, I repeat myself:

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Just because something does (or doesn't) work for you doesn't mean it does (or doesn't) work for someone else.

...and...

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

These builds are to give new players ideas on how to make their own units. Not every unit in this thread will work for everyone.

I swear I'm gonna have to copy those quotes since I keep having to use them...

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Point made and taken (since you were rational about it). However, I repeat myself:

Appologies again. -_-

#13 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostAppogee, on 11 September 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

His MechCommander 2 thread (link in his signature) is however a Very Good Thread in which we are permitted to freely contribute.
  • It is designed for contributions. This one isn't.
  • I never claimed it was the best thread ever. I linked it because it is where most of my content gets posted (whenever I get to post it).

View PostAppogee, on 11 September 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Dude, you said it three times. I find it highly bemusing that you're posting builds to help new players and inspire them but not letting anyone else offer potential advice about them. It seems frankly very odd.

You can offer advice. I said you couldn't correct and re-post modifications to the builds. Perhaps I should clarify that.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 September 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#14 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm sorry, I actually don't mean to give you a hard time, and I appreciate all the work you put into your build and threads. It just seems weird to me to post builds and ask experienced players not to comment on how they could potentially be improved.

I should have clarified. It isn't your fault.

I just didn't want the thread cluttered with minor mods to the same old builds. Now it is cluttered with a miniature flame war though...

It just seems weird to me to post builds and ask experienced players not to comment on how they could potentially be improved.

You can always offer new ideas instead of modifications of my old build. That would be awesome if y'all did that. But I don't want correction on the old builds because people have different styles of building Mechs (i.e ammo in feet or torso?) and this isn't a style thread. It is a concept thread. Giving examples of how to use a chassis or weapon in conjunction with other weapons or chassis.

Shar Wolf said:

Technically wasn't improving his build, but offering a second one in the same category, as last time I looked, Banshee and Stalker were two very different machines. :blush:

If Shar Wolf wanted to post his Stalker build as a sniper that'd be great. But if he just changed around my Banshee and reposted it that'd be (IMO) clutter.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 September 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#15 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

I appreciate the obvious thought and effort you put into the thread, as I'm sure new players also will.

I particularly like your MC2 thread, which was the only reason why I mentioned it.

I removed my earlier posts from this thread (in order to de-clutter your thread).

Edited by Appogee, 11 September 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#16 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

I personally find the assault Raven rather humorous, although I do think it could work. Anyone have any builds they found strangely appealing (i.e the TDR-5SS[ "Photon Storm II")?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 September 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Haven't actually looked at most of them, as the current trouble Smurfy is having is also clashing with the PCs I have access to.

Did find the CN9 build intriguingly.... familiar though. ^_^
Spoiler

Edited by Shar Wolf, 11 September 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#18 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostAppogee, on 11 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I removed my earlier posts from this thread (in order to de-clutter your thread).

I appreciate that. Any builds you'd like to share with the new players?

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

This is not exactly a new build so much as a piece of advice for when you {You here is the general "you" aimed at everyone, but especially new designers} are building mechs. (I personally spend more time on Smurfy, than I do playing the game, or on any other activity out there. Mech design is what I love, so I enjoy threads like this one, and seeing people come up with crazy builds.)

Push the envelope. Try something crazy. If it looks silly, give it a shot before dismissing it. I scoffed at the CN9-AL BeamWang build when I first saw it. Everyone always recommended slapping an STD 200 or so in the Centy and go zombie. I gave it a shot, and it was the most fun I had with a centurion. It also brought some serious damage numbers too.

So experiment. Don't just go for optimal builds, try something new and different whenever you can. Ever seen a locust running flamers? Sounds hilarious and useless. My DWF-Prime died to a locust with a Flamer, and a couple of small lasers. Yeah, it's funny, and cute, until it chews off your face.

TL;DR: experiment and go crazy, don't dismiss designs without giving them a shot.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 11 September 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#20 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

More bloody Mechs to make builds for... thanks PGI!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users