For Crying Out Loud, Delete Terra Therma From Rotation.

131 replies to this topic

#41 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

Therma is a litmus test for munchkins.

Everyone who hates it, hates it because their mechs run hot and they cant blast away willy nilly like COD.

We need MORE hot maps, not less. rofl...delete it from rotation. DELETE YOU from rotation.

Its like having the Baycity Rollers on the Jukebox in your bar.

Profiling purposes.

#42 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Therma hate thread again?

Allright might as well leave my cent here.

I agree that the map(s) is bad. But if any map i want removed it would be Forest Colony. But we cant just remove bad maps. Then we wont have any maps left. I hope theyll just improve on the maps with their new knowlage and addapt older 8v8 maps to 12v12.

or.. we could have one huge map.. just saying.

Edited by Turist0AT, 30 September 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#43 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

before deciding you hate this map try to understand it.

If you do not like fighting in the centre on Terra Therma then spend a little time on testing grounds in a light, explore the map, find a place that looks good for a fight then at the start of the match type something along the lines of please do not go centre instead lets go to Z26 (replace with grid location you found in testing grounds) in team chat, in my experiance when someone politely suggests a plan (rather than ordering, swearing at and insulting the team) pugs will generally be willing to try it.

In assault you could suggest for example go to extreme right (or left) then push up (or down) along the side then along the top (or bottom) in a group to attack the enemy base . if this starts happening regularly player behaviour will change to counter it, and the game will become more interesting. If the above starts happening frequently then work out good ways to defend the base

In conquest if you try to hold the centre you are at a huge disadvantage as the enemy will cap a win on points.

There is no problem with the map, it is the strategies (or lack thereof) used that is a problem.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 September 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#44 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

So this post is a guy saying something, and they like, three pages of people disagreeing with him?

Beside, without Terra Therma we wouldn't have that ohcraptheyalreadyhavethemiddlemyassaultmechisgoingtojumpintothevolcano moments that I enjoy.

#45 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Why delete it, did you overheat and die? That is not a valid reason.

Edited by M0rpHeu5, 30 September 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#46 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostEns, on 30 September 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

River City first...or back to 8vs8

thx

What?

Why would you want that? To both you and the OP....so less is more?

Terrible Therma (even though i crash on it the first time i play ti EVERY NIGHT) is fine and adds some flavor to the game.

Also why would you want 8v8? i dont understand? Not enough fingers to count to 12? (jk :P )

#47 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

We should all stop responding to this post.

It is an obvious Troll post.

I have seen no responses from the original poster (OP), so I am guessing he had no real interest in a response, only to vent.

#48 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 September 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

Wasn't it only 1 poll? I'll bet if the poll was about reducing the chance Terra Therma appears in rotation, it will get a resounding YES.

Sumone should make such a poll.

I remember at least five, with this thread, though not with a poll, but essentially working like, one it would be six. Various forms of questioning, everytime the same result against the proposal.

I'm to lazy to search for them, but I'm sure you can find them with a little effort.

#49 ColonelMetus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

Boycott Terra Therma

#50 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

I hate the map with a passion. Shouldn't be removed though.

#51 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

We need more maps, not less.

#52 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostDaZur, on 30 September 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

I don't so much mind when my team goes pug-zapper... when they actually push through and gain foothold.

It's when they stack like saltine crackers in the entrances and spend more time shooting their teammates in the back than they do the opposing forces I cringe with despair.

Sometimes I daydream of dropping arty on them just to put them out of their misery... :ph34r:

:P

Pretty much whats wrong with pugs, I think they're all vampires waiting for permission to step into someones house.
People race to get there first then as soon as a bit of return fire hits them they turn chicken and run.

The really dumb thing is most teams that go to the pug zapper have the stones to go in and claim the opposite sides, usually win.

#53 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

When I first started playing this game I hated Terra Therma, but the morre experience I got at heat management and the better I got at building a mech, the less I disliked this map.

It's a pain, but once you learn how to manage your heat and build mechs with something other than numerous big, hot weapons then the better it seems.

The only maps I groan at seeing nowadays is Frozan City (day) due to the weather effects and River City when playing Assault (the starting positions are too near the bases and it becomes a citadel hump all too often).

#54 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

I don't mind Terra. My least favorite map is River City, which is mainly because of the changed starting positions and the turrets in Assault mode. I really miss the upper city brawls.

#55 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

No maps should ever be deleted. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one else does.

#56 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

It just needs more recognizable landmarks. Examples: storage tanks, some unused machinery, abandoned base/hangar, downed dropship. It needs destinations that can be easily communicated to pug teams other than just coordinates, and possibly something that can be viewed as a defensible position if necessary. Currently all people know is the volcano, so you either go into it or go around it in a circle. It's pretty boring.

Some effects would be nice too. Occasional eruptions (with plenty of shaking/buildup) would make it much more interesting, as in it would act as a deterrent to those who just prefer to camp the center and force the other team to just poke through the entrances.

Inferno was similarly hated by many in MWLL. It's just the nature of a hot map with few landmarks. I think they did a better job in MWLL though with the exception of some of the unforgivable geometry.

#57 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostFoxwalker, on 30 September 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

We should all stop responding to this post.

It is an obvious Troll post.

I have seen no responses from the original poster (OP), so I am guessing he had no real interest in a response, only to vent.

like this one?

#58 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 30 September 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

One of the most pathetic, terrible maps ever.

And that is a fact, ladies and gentlemen!

:rolleyes:
/thread.

(No seriously, close it please.)

#59 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Its the most balanced maps. Everyone is pulled towards the middle. Holding the middle gets you the advantage of being able to have multiple mechs fire on a single opening. but you have no cover so if they come in from another angle they can rip you apart.
Its not even the hottest map, the desert map is 2 degrees hotter. Its also the only map with environmental hazards.

#60 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

A thread like this is
  • Toxic, in that it offers no suggestion as to how the map can be improved, only that you think it should be removed from the game because of reasons unknown.
  • Insulting to the map designers, who also make the maps you DO like.
  • Taking up space in the forums, when there are multiple similar threads.

That being said, here are my thoughts on Terra Therma.
  • You aren't 'special' on Terra Therma. The same climate is applied universally to all players. Oh, you're running hot in your Nova? Guess what, that Nova on the enemy team is running hot too.
  • You should know how to manage your heat. The weapon groups or lack-of-chainfire you use on other maps might not work here. You might only be able to fire 3 MLs at a time on Terra Therma instead of 6 at a time on Frozen City. Overheating in the middle of a firefight because you got greedy when you targeted the enemy with a cherry-red torso isn't 'the map's fault'
  • The pug zapper: either all go in, or none at all. Don't poke in and out at the entrance. You might be getting great shots off at the enemy while popping in and out, but I guarantee you're either in the process of being heavily damaged for the rest of the match, left behind while your team flanks, or blocking the rest of the team from entering.
  • The map IS a bit too large IMO. It could do with having the outer pathways shaved off. That would make it a decently sized map

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users