100 replies to this topic

#21 Tboxer

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 October 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

[/size]

Afaik, Ego has stated that Disconnecting/Suiciding (ad Nauseam) just because you don't like the match or game type is a bannable offense.

Well we should def ban people for not playing a game they dont wanna play... makes perfect sense to me. Ban me... It'll be very difficult for me to spend money on this game when I'm banned.

#22 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Then perhaps they shouldn't force us to play game modes we have NO desire to play. Just saying....

#23 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

For anyone that doesn't like the new match preference vs. hard choice change, and can't comprehend why PGI changed it. Please refer to this thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...-match-quality/

TL;DR = The community wanted it, and we got it. If you didn't make your vote known, you should have, and if you did, and still were on the losing side of the poll, you have to deal with it. Not trying to be curt, but those are the facts. Unless there's enough whining about it to warrant them going back to the old system, I seriously doubt Russ would change it back (and even then, I sure wouldn't revert, not with those vote results I posted above)

View PostTboxer, on 07 October 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Well we should def ban people for not playing a game they dont wanna play... makes perfect sense to me. Ban me... It'll be very difficult for me to spend money on this game when I'm banned.

Not commenting on the policy, just stating it.

If you [in the general sense of the word] don't like players who quit because they don't like the game mode and thus leave the team hanging, report them.

Edited by xeromynd, 07 October 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#24 Tboxer

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Or simply allow two game modes... competitive or casual. Competitive doesn't give you a choice and randomizes. Casual is what you choose.
It's not rocket science, it's laziness. Like everything else we get promised and pay for and don't get.

#25 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

[/size]

Afaik, Ego has stated that Disconnecting/Suiciding (ad Nauseam) just because you don't like the match or game type is a bannable offense.

It is certainly against the rules of conduct but what's to keep those people from simply running to their doom as fast as they can and claim simple "mistake" when challenged about it ?
Forcing people to play modes they don't like will not make those people suddenly like those modes OR make them more rule-compliant. They will look for loopholes and possibly damage the gaming-experience of others while doing so.

#26 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 October 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

For anyone that doesn't like the new match preference vs. hard choice change, and can't comprehend why PGI changed it. Please refer to this thread:

TL;DR = The community wanted it, and we got it. If you didn't make your vote known, you should have, and if you did, and still were on the losing side of the poll, you have to deal with it. Not trying to be curt, but those are the facts. Unless there's enough whining about it to warrant them going back to the old system, I seriously doubt Russ would change it back (and even then, I sure wouldn't revert, not with those vote results I posted above)

Some of us weren't even aware that such a vote was being taken.

#27 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostRandom Wanderer, on 07 October 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Some of us weren't even aware that such a vote was being taken.

I did think of that just now, Didn't occur to me, as I do check the forums a bit, but I actually have to agree with you that the poll wasn't advertised as well as it could (should) have been. That being said, I was in favor of the new change myself, but still...

#28 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Correction... It's not me saying this! I'm only pointing out what was written before and should be knwon to all forum users!

It's the rules laid out in this thread, in a sub-forum at the very top of these boards named rules and guidelines, which is almost two years old. Ignorance of the rules will probably not be a good excuse and most others will not hold up long before game logs and repeated reports.

#29 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 October 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

Not commenting on the policy, just stating it.

If you [in the general sense of the word] don't like players who quit because they don't like the game mode and thus leave the team hanging, report them.

First post in the thread "Re: Poll - Needs an I don't know/undecided option, because, I don't know."
My bet is most of the "Yes" votes were "I don't care" votes. As this is what I see in game. People who hate conquests and people who "did not care and will not care" about game modes. Not even once did someone say: "great new feature, we should have had it a long time ago."

#30 MountainCopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationUU, Ankh-Morpork

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I understand this change possible is tied to the outcome of the poll asking about a maybe "better match-making by overriding game mode preferences".

But the point is this: After having 6 matches and getting nothing but Skirmish, which I hate, I will not play too many more Skirmish matches.
There is a reason, I have deselected this game mode... This dumbed-down version of Assault, where the team which has fortified itself in the more favorable defensive position will win most times.
And I'm unlikely to play these for much longer, knowing that the majority of matches played are in this game mode.

I already have been threatened to be reported should I leave matches. Concerning this dialogue, just two little points...
  • If you do, please include somewhere in your message "left games repeatedly because he/she was forced into Skirmish matches, a game mode the player really doesn't want to play".
  • For the meaning of my nickname, steer a bit more towards ancient Greece instead of what you would find on urbandictionary.

#31 subso

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

If I check conquest, I dont want to Play 95% other game modes

STOP THIS!!!

#32 Racersky

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Apparently there were not enough players playing CONQUEST...NOW PGI is forcing players to play conquest...please remove the conquest from the matchmaker UNLESS the box is checked! Thanks in advanced!

This can be said for the other game modes that were NOT check. IT was way better when the player had a CHOICE to select their game mode

Edited by Racersky, 07 October 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#33 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

Posted this elsewhere already and just posting it again in hopes it get's read:

First off I was all for the change. Yes I prefer Assault over the other two modes, but I can live with playing conquest or skirmish if I get more exciting matches for trade.

What I am worried about is the way it all went down. On September 22nd Russ opened the thread "Better Match Quality" which contained a poll that asked if people were willing to trade the ability to get a guarantee for their prefered game modes for better ELO matching.

Which in itself was a great effort to involve the community in the decision making. In his original thread it also comes across that this is seen as a test on live population and in no sense the way things will stay forever ever.

My worries have to do with the thread being closed after just 2 days and 1500 votes. Yes I remember enough from my university maths classes to know that this is enough votes to have a representative result. But together with the introduction of the proposed change just 2 weeks after the vote and 3 days after an in depth explanation of the new system, we know what the usual suspects will do with this. Especially since (as the feedback thread for the explanation and the patch feedback show) a lot of people obviously missed Russ' original thread (maybe because he locked it after just 2 days and named it semi optimal for the purpose?) and only just learned about all this practically after the fact.

What I ask is some clarification about the following question:

Is this indeed just a test case on the live population and will it be reverted again, should it not yield the expected outcome?

And to conclude my post I would just like to advise that if you go out and ask the community you at least give everyone enough time to see it and be heard. At least a full week. Two days really was way too little.

Edited by Jason Parker, 07 October 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#34 jackal404

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostEgomane, on 07 October 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Correction... It's not me saying this! I'm only pointing out what was written before and should be knwon to all forum users!

It's the rules laid out in this thread, in a sub-forum at the very top of these boards named rules and guidelines, which is almost two years old. Ignorance of the rules will probably not be a good excuse and most others will not hold up long before game logs and repeated reports.

I'm curious - will PGI really ban players who have chosen to not participate/suicide/disconnect from a game mode they do not wish to play?

This just seems like a circular reasoning problem to me - why has the player base shrunken so badly? Well, we had to ban a lot of players because they didn't like being forced to play a game mode they don't like.

I'm not a fan of this change as written, but I haven't played yet because my group doesn't play til later in the evening. Would you prefer we just don't drop (e.g play a different game) if we don't like the game modes we end up in? We only enjoy skirmish, I can't see us playing the others more than once or twice.

#35 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

View Postjackal404, on 07 October 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'm curious - will PGI really ban players who have chosen to not participate/suicide/disconnect from a game mode they do not wish to play?

This just seems like a circular reasoning problem to me - why has the player base shrunken so badly? Well, we had to ban a lot of players because they didn't like being forced to play a game mode they don't like.

I'm not a fan of this change as written, but I haven't played yet because my group doesn't play til later in the evening. Would you prefer we just don't drop (e.g play a different game) if we don't like the game modes we end up in? We only enjoy skirmish, I can't see us playing the others more than once or twice.

If you don't like the new system you have several ways of making that known, without breaking the rules.

1. Make your frustration known!
Create a post about it on the forums. Preferable in an already existing thread if there is one.

2. Stop buying!
If you are buying MC or mech packages or whatever, stop doing so. You can combine that with 1.

3. Stop playing!
If you can't get yourself to play in an unliked gamemode, no matter what, then stop playing MWO completly until this is changed. You can combine this with 1. and 2.

What is not an acceptable solution, is to try to force your will, by griefing other players.

#36 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostEgomane, on 07 October 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

If you don't like the new system you have several ways of making that known, without breaking the rules.

1. Make your frustration known!
Create a post about it on the forums. Preferable in an already existing thread if there is one.

2. Stop buying!
If you are buying MC or mech packages or whatever, stop doing so. You can combine that with 1.

3. Stop playing!
If you can't get yourself to play in an unliked gamemode, no matter what, then stop playing MWO completly until this is changed. You can combine this with 1. and 2.

What is not an acceptable solution, is to try to force your will, by griefing other players.

Currently doing 1 right now. Currently doing 2. 3 might happen.

Is there a better place to do #1 so that PGI is more likely to notice?

#37 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostRandom Wanderer, on 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Currently doing 1 right now. Currently doing 2. 3 might happen.

Is there a better place to do #1 so that PGI is more likely to notice?

Russ himself has actually been pretty good about answering queries via. Twitter or Private Forum Messages. Although I suggest you add something other than just stating your displeasure with the feature, maybe a suggestion as to how it could be better or something.

Or save your question/suggestions/comments for the next town hall meeting.

#38 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

few rounds I just got in were all much better than before altough I did end up in conquest in all of them.

play the game and have fun...

I bet you'd still all have fun if you just got over yourselves.

Edited by Bigbacon, 07 October 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#39 Groundpound Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

I want to pick the mode I go into so I can plan accordingly. I can't stand this random crap. I don't care for Assault anymore got burned out on it. But I need to know if I am going Conquest or Skirmish so I can make sure I am wearing the right shoes. Conquest is running shoes Skirmish are cleats so I can dig in and slug it out.

#40 Tsuki Ookami vas Mugunghwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostGroundpound, on 07 October 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

I want to pick the mode I go into so I can plan accordingly. I can't stand this random crap. I don't care for Assault anymore got burned out on it. But I need to know if I am going Conquest or Skirmish so I can make sure I am wearing the right shoes. Conquest is running shoes Skirmish are cleats so I can dig in and slug it out.

this so much. it's bad enough not to know which map we end up with. (landing on frozen city or terror therma makes a gigantic difference) and now we can't even decide which game mode.

what's next? we get random mechs?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users