It Should Not Be My Problem That Large Groups Can't Find Matches. Force Teams To Have An Equal # Of Groups.

Metagame

87 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

...With no release valve. If they are so hardcore, they can arrange private matches. Or they can form smaller groups and sync drop and try their luck.

I am tired of being meat for the grinder; my enjoyment sacrificed for the enjoyment of others. This is not sustainable.

This specific reason is why I have not purchased a Clan Wave II package. I have no faith the game will be made enjoyable to play with friends again.

#2 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

What is the line between large and small?

#3 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

On the same line.....
It should not be my problem small groups get crushed, they should try harder, or get in bigger groups.

Or is it only fair to say that from your end?

#4 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

With stock mech monday's you're always playing with friends. :)

#5 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

I agree, when I have new friends start playing and we drop as a 2 man it isnt a fun or good learning expierience for my friend.

#6 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostSqually160, on 13 October 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

On the same line.....
It should not be my problem small groups get crushed, they should try harder, or get in bigger groups.

Or is it only fair to say that from your end?

Trying harder will never match that level of coordination. And if we all got into large groups, none of us would be able to play.

This way, everyone would be able to. A small group with a big group, a medium group with a medium group. Even groups of 12, so long as there is at least one other group of 12 playing.

So what's the real reason you're against it?

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostSqually160, on 13 October 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

On the same line.....

I doubt you enjoy playing as a large group versus smalls one. You play with large group because you want a more organized type of gameplay against greater challenges, not because you want an illusion of achievement playing easy mode.

Everybody wins.

#8 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

From my perspective anything beyond the pug queue is great. I have had just as many drops where a group of 2-4 mans takes out a 10/12 man as I have had the reverse, but either way there is tactics involved and the opportunity to play a TEAM game.

The pug queue is just pure pain and suffering regardless of ELO imbalance. It's just a mess.

#9 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostDock Steward, on 13 October 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

What is the line between large and small?

Anything larger than the group he's dropping in I assume.

View PostDAYLEET, on 13 October 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I doubt you enjoy playing as a large group versus smalls one. You play with large group because you want a more organized type of gameplay against greater challenges, not because you want an illusion of achievement playing easy mode.

Everybody wins.

No, I play in large groups because we have a lot of really cool guys in our unit who are a lot of fun to drop with.

#10 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

I'm all for making people happy, but what's the solution here?

2 man only queue - you see the problem there
Put 2 man teams in the solo queue - you see the problem there
Have the MM balance teams by sizes - guess the problem there

#11 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

It does seem to make sense to have separate queues for different group sizes. We have 2 now right? Solo and Group? Is the problem that the community isn't large enough to support a third grouping and queue times would be too long?

I thought it would be fun to queue up with pre-made 4man lances; or even a straight 4v4 or 8v8 mode would be cool. Hopefully the community will grow enough to support more game modes like this, if that's the problem.

#12 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostFelio, on 13 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

This specific reason is why I have not purchased a Clan Wave II package.

Promote the game, expand the playerbase. The game was niche as it is, and the, shall we say streamlined development pipeline of PGI has left out some things and that made the game a bit stale. So there aren't a lot of groups for the matchmaker to choose from.

But that can be changed!

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 13 October 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#13 DasaDevil

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Even an organized 6 man can throw an entire game off. You'd not have a chance regardless.

#14 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostFelio, on 13 October 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Trying harder will never match that level of coordination. And if we all got into large groups, none of us would be able to play.

This way, everyone would be able to. A small group with a big group, a medium group with a medium group. Even groups of 12, so long as there is at least one other group of 12 playing.

So what's the real reason you're against it?

Youre whole statement is basically "I dont want to play against them, so who cares how long their wait times are"

No, I do not want to play agaisnt a bunch of unorganized players. But I still want to PLAY.

Waiting in q* (typoooo) for a half hour isnt playing.

Protip: Back in the day, it was 12 man or nothing in the group q, guess how many groups were playing then? barely any. You could wait all night and not get a match.

Now you want to push us back into that because you feel like you need special treatment?

Edited by Squally160, 13 October 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#15 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostFragnot, on 13 October 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

It does seem to make sense to have separate queues for different group sizes. We have 2 now right? Solo and Group? Is the problem that the community isn't large enough to support a third grouping and queue times would be too long?

I thought it would be fun to queue up with pre-made 4man lances; or even a straight 4v4 or 8v8 mode would be cool. Hopefully the community will grow enough to support more game modes like this, if that's the problem.

I'm pretty sure it's this.

#16 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostFelio, on 13 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

...With no release valve. If they are so hardcore, they can arrange private matches. Or they can form smaller groups and sync drop and try their luck.

I am tired of being meat for the grinder; my enjoyment sacrificed for the enjoyment of others. This is not sustainable.

This specific reason is why I have not purchased a Clan Wave II package. I have no faith the game will be made enjoyable to play with friends again.

Whilst some of your reasons for displeasure are true I think your solution is faulty.
I can think of a few rounds where I've seen a small group utterly stamp a 12 man into oblivion.

The key to making the game more enjoyable to play with friends is to improve just that, teamwork and how accessible it is to everyone.
If my group of friends and your group of friends can play together better on the battlefield then the quality of games will be higher and more consistent.

#17 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

just a quick suggestion....necro one of the old solo-vs-premade threads...way quicker, same arguments, same result :D

#18 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostWhiteRabbit, on 13 October 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

just a quick suggestion....necro one of the old solo-vs-premade threads...way quicker, same arguments, same result :D

QFT.

This has been hashed out so many times.
It boils down to:
Not enough people play this game for everyone to be happy, so we both get not so ideal games, to be able to play at all.

#19 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

what this game needs is "if" me and 3 friends want to get on and play, we should have an option to jump into a 12 man que where we are teamed up with 8 others and need to work as a team against 12 others... OR we should have an option to jump into a match where we can play JUST 4 vs 4. I guarantee you that if we had options to play 4 vs 4, 8 vs 8 and 12 vs 12, more games would be played and more people would have fun.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 13 October 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#20 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

Simple fix would be for the queue manager to randomize the lances across the teams, for the PLAY NOW queue only. Come as a 12 man if you want but its always going to be 4/8 split, hope you can deal with shooting your buddy. Private matches and CW should still allow for 12-man teams, ofc.

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 13 October 2014 - 03:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users