373 replies to this topic

#1 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

TL;DR: Nerf arty and air strikes to 15-20 damage per shot and significantly increase cost per module. these are designed to soften up targets, not kill them.

so. arty and air strikes are obviously quite overpowered. they can kill a fully armored mech, and, when your team drops 2 consecutively, can kill your whole team. this consumable shouldnt have that kind of power. i was in a match where there was 11 of us left and 3 enemies left. they dropped 3 artys consecutively while we were grouped up and killed all 11 of us. these consumables need to be nerfed to either 15 points, 20 MAX per round and tripled in price. people shouldnt have the ability to kill a whole team with 3 of these modules nor should they need to rely on them to win. its a support item. its supposed to soften up mechs, not kill them. now i can understand if a mech is stripped of armor and gets destroyed by one, but when im in a fully armored atlas and get hit in the head by 2 of the shots and i get killed, that is unnacceptable.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

They're as strong as they are because they're a money sink, because PGI wants to continue the Paulconomy™.

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

View Postgrievoussmaug, on 05 November 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

TL;DR: Nerf arty and air strikes to 15-20 damage per shot and significantly increase cost per module. these are designed to soften up targets, not kill them.

so. arty and air strikes are obviously quite overpowered. they can kill a fully armored mech, and, when your team drops 2 consecutively, can kill your whole team. this consumable shouldnt have that kind of power. i was in a match where there was 11 of us left and 3 enemies left. they dropped 3 artys consecutively while we were grouped up and killed all 11 of us. these consumables need to be nerfed to either 15 points, 20 MAX per round and tripled in price. people shouldnt have the ability to kill a whole team with 3 of these modules nor should they need to rely on them to win. its a support item. its supposed to soften up mechs, not kill them. now i can understand if a mech is stripped of armor and gets destroyed by one, but when im in a fully armored atlas and get hit in the head by 2 of the shots and i get killed, that is unnacceptable.

They are no where near as powerful as you make them out to be. I can't take this seriously.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for the laughs.

<Do we really need another of these threads? Because I will just reply as I did.>

Edited by Mystere, 05 November 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

20 shells, 20 damage

#6 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

they dropped 3 artys consecutively while we were grouped up and killed all 11 of us.

while we were grouped

while we were grouped

while we were grouped

Hated to repeat that 3 times, but like those arties you might not have seen the problem the first time.

#7 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Sometimes because of the random nature of the damage, they can really ruin your day.

The first match I played my brand new CN9-AH in, a strke landed and ripped off my right arm, and my aut-coannon with it!

Not much I could do with what I had left, the CN9-AH is not the zombie the other Centurions are.

Edited by Golden Vulf, 05 November 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#8 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 05 November 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

while we were grouped
while we were grouped
while we were grouped

while we were grouped
while we were grouped
while we were grouped

while we were grouped
while we were grouped
while we were grouped

Just to hammer that nail....

Seriously this over qouted qoute is an understatement. I have to make one addition though;

We were grouped AND im guess *not moving*.

Edited by White Bear 84, 05 November 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#9 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 05 November 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Just to hammer that nail....

Seriously this over qouted qoute is an understatement. I have to make one addition though;

We were grouped AND im guess *not moving*.

Ah, got it, so the team should be spread out and moving while on a cap point? And because spreading out is such a great idea in MWO?

I mean, even trying to basecap in assault is a terrible idea. Every single team that tries just gets 3-4 strikes rained on them, ggclothes.

It's also a super awful system for lights and mediums. In fact, I just alt-f4'd out of a match because I was moving around the back of my team at 90kph, not clustered, moving quickly, and a random shell from the line of an airstrike drops down and takes off one arm and puts both legs into deep orange. Game over, no warning, done. I left because that's not fun, that's awful gameplay.

#10 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Arty and air strike should not be in the game. They should not exist. It is ridiculous that there is a 0 ton no drawback item that is so incredibly powerful. If you are in an IS assault 95% of the time you cant get away from the arty no matter what you do!

#11 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 November 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

20 shells, 20 damage

This. My main issue with them is their ability to kill you in one hit by landing on your head. More shells with less damage should reduce the incidence of arty headshots.

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

I like what artillery/airstrike add to the game, but there are some visual improvements that I wish PGI would do. The Smoke needs to be more visible in thermal/night vision. You simply can't use those vision modes in a game where you expect a decent amount of strikes. You wont see the bright red smoke because it's barely visible in thermal/night vision.

Either the smoke or the canister should be bright in thermal (it's emitting hot smoke isn't it?).

#13 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

View Postaniviron, on 05 November 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Ah, got it, so the team should be spread out and moving while on a cap point? And because spreading out is such a great idea in MWO?

Obviously yes it is situational - thinking of all those times the team forms up a deathball behind one piece of cover, trying to play peek-a-boo all the while as enemy mechs drop arty..

You dont need to spread out all over the map, but you don't need to stand right on top of your team mates either; its a 50m raduis, not that big..

Not to mention, chances are with a little bit of difference you can notice the arty smoke and avoid it... I mean really, if you are on cap, you should be able to see the smoke and avoid it - its either going on flat ground or on the drill thing..

At most only thing I would personally change is to make the recharge time slightly longer..

Edited by White Bear 84, 05 November 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#14 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostTwentyOne, on 05 November 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Arty and air strike should not be in the game. They should not exist. It is ridiculous that there is a 0 ton no drawback item that is so incredibly powerful. If you are in an IS assault 95% of the time you cant get away from the arty no matter what you do!

Even an un-Elited Direwolf has time to walk out of the radius of an arty strike, if he was moving to begin with.

#15 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

The only time I get hit with Arty strikes lately is if someone sees me at range and basically says "OOH A TARGET" with no consideration that I'm poking around a corner by myself.

If I get hit and I made the lazy mistake to deathball, that's fine. But getting strike'd because you're lazy/trigger happy/etc just pisses me off.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 05 November 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#16 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostDavers, on 05 November 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Even an un-Elited Direwolf has time to walk out of the radius of an arty strike, if he was moving to begin with.

In pug queue when it is dropped behind you, no you don't.
Honestly though in Teamspeak I do much better, as people call airstrike out and I can move instantly, but otherwise in a pug game in an assault, you will be hit by an airstrike pretty much guaranteed

#17 The Strange

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 238 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

I find it amusing that his team stood still not only while artillery rained down on them, but through the cooldown period as well, then did it again, and again... There is a cooldown that prevents them from being dropped one after another, so they obviously didn't learn from the first strike... or the second...

It's only a lucky random chance that you hit someone in the head with an arty strike. They are generally easily avoided unless you dont see them.

As to Arty strikes not being designed to kill a target, that is EXACTLY what artillery is designed for.

From Wikipedia:

Artillery is arguably the most lethal form of land-based armament currently employed and has been since at least the early industrial revolution. The vast majority of combat deaths in the Napoleonic Wars, World War I and World War II were caused by artillery.[1] In 1944, Joseph Stalin said in a speech that artillery was "the God of War".

#18 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostTwentyOne, on 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

In pug queue when it is dropped behind you, no you don't.
Honestly though in Teamspeak I do much better, as people call airstrike out and I can move instantly, but otherwise in a pug game in an assault, you will be hit by an airstrike pretty much guaranteed

Then you weren't moving. There is enough time for a Dire Wolf to walk through the entire radius of the arty strike before it lands, if you were moving to begin with.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

I personally am fine with the Arty/Air Strike damage lowered to 20-30.

#20 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostDavers, on 05 November 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Then you weren't moving. There is enough time for a Dire Wolf to walk through the entire radius of the arty strike before it lands, if you were moving to begin with.

You willing to back that up with proof?
If someone calls an arty at your feet you are stationary, you will be hit by at least some of the shells in an un basiced dire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users