Stock Voip, Why Not ?

General

225 replies to this topic

#61 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

So disable it.. great. No reason to not have it.
The way you post it sounds like you'd be part of the problem you're referring to.

#62 Haxburch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 206 posts
  • LocationGermany / Düsseldorf

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 06 November 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Yeah and my example would be to disable it. Don't have to worry about mouth breathers, no PTT boobs, screamers, children,etc. I play solo all the time, I understand what a PUG is like. I read their moronic chat, I don't need to hear it in my ears. Won't take a lot of experience with those boobs for people to turn it off and defeat the purpose and waste the effort. Again like I've said, been hearing this since CB and nothing so I'm not worried. You can keep trying but PGI has already back burnered it. Just make a command rose and easy peasy. Don't need to worry about language barriers, listening to idiots. Provides more than enough coordination for the people who play in PUGs. If you want real coordination, join a group. Don't expect a PUG to play like a group even if you give them the same tools.
THIS and all what we need is some basic com system . Like WoT or WT. Play this games look at the com copy from both the best , working with hotkeys and make it better . Profit and anybody would use THIS !Voice com i turn of on the same day it comes but i am not against. All i say it is waste of time.

Edited by Haxburch, 06 November 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#63 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

I disable Built in VOIP in any game i play, I run mumble on my laptop and don't even have a mix hooked up to my tower. When i drop with my friends i use mumble.

While i world like a easier way to chat i don't care for built in VOIP.

#64 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 06 November 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

So disable it.. great. No reason to not have it.
The way you post it sounds like you'd be part of the problem you're referring to.

kind of defeat the purpose of having VoIP then do it not, lets say that 50% of the mech gamers turn it instantly off.
then it lost already it's goal what it was suppose to do.

#65 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

If 50% of players want to turn it off while the other 50% are using it happily then that's not exactly a bad turnout. Maybe those with it turned off will turn it on later once they start getting left behind/killed because they don't know what everyone else is doing and find out that nearly the shrieking monkey-pit they imagined it to be and that it's actually filled players who actually want to co-ordinate.

#66 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

First lets put VOIP back in context as in what it was used for in MechWarrior games and what it would be used for in MWO.

In PC MechWarrior comms like Teamspeak and Ventrilo we used 99% by teams for league play it is the most effective way to manage a battle from a commanders view point.

VOIP would not be used much in MWO for PUG/Casual/SOLO MM game play.But if PGI would pull there heads out of there assssses and build a live-chat-lobby-launcher system like the old MSN gamming zone or like MWOlobby.com and bring back the community's ability to form teams and remake the MechWarrior leagues VOIP would be indispensable to game play.

#67 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 06 November 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

First lets put VOIP back in context as in what it was used for in MechWarrior games and what it would be used for in MWO.

In PC MechWarrior comms like Teamspeak and Ventrilo we used 99% by teams for league play it is the most effective way to manage a battle from a commanders view point.

VOIP would not be used much in MWO for PUG/Casual/SOLO MM game play.But if PGI would pull there heads out of there assssses and build a live-chat-lobby-launcher system like the old MSN gamming zone or like MWOlobby.com and bring back the community's ability to form teams and remake the MechWarrior leagues VOIP would be indispensable to game play.

Yep that puts it right. Put a global chat into the front end with easy means of forming groups and all of a sudden built in VOIP starts to make a lot of sense.

#68 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 06 November 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

nehebkau(For this type of thing, VOIP is not only a can of worms, but flesh-eating radioactive worms. )

This is total BS coms programs have been used in MechWarrior since 1996 so your information is false and you are naïve .

comms used in MechWarrior games

Roger wilco
Team speak
Ventrilo
a few more etc.

All of which are third party opt in systems where you choose who has entry.

However, thanks for proving his point due to your insults.

That's exactly why people don't want systems like this foisted on them.

We've all had plenty of past experience of obnoxious, depressing or plain irritating people on comms. If you haven't... you don't use FPS comms, you're lying or you are that irritating person. I'm as guilty as anyone in that my language can get very strong/impassioned around people I know. That's not everyone's taste but then that's why we play on private comms.

#69 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

is it just me or do the VOIP objectors not understand the concept of mute? Heck, put an option in the settings screen to mute by default if you like. They already do that for the chat. At least that way some of the team would be on the same page and maybe you non-teamplaying anti-VOIPers would follow the herd. But FFS don't keep it out of the hands of those of us that understand the way the mute button works. I know, I know, there are plenty of idiots that would use it as a griefing tool. That's why there has always been a mute system on every integrated VOIP I have ever seen.

#70 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

As much as I don't want PGI to waste resources on implementing VOIP there are some good and bad examples out there you can study.

Planetside 2 VOIP is good and works well. Clarity is decent for a VOIP but worse than a third party solution. It also illustrates one of the problems. Most of the time you can't understand what anyone is saying as they're speaking in totally different languages and cross talking in combat is pointless as it disrupts everyone. I can't count the number of times I've joined a platoon to find everyone talking excitedly in some Eastern European language during an assault... or German, Swedish, French, Russian, etc etc. Its just a fact of life in any international based FPS game.

Everquest 2 had an awful voip system 3 years back when I stopped playing. Terrible sound quality.

Eve Online actually did have a VOIP system. Was a total disaster and shelved for systems with integrated security to prevent spies... Sound quality was also awful.

Anyone that has played on a console as probably had experience of voip in one form or another (and realised how terrible it is there due to the number of apparent teenagers with serious problems....).

In fact the last item there is probably what puts most people off a non gate keeper style comms to the extent that they miss good experiences like the Planetside 2 version.

View PostGumbyC2C, on 06 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

is it just me or do the VOIP objectors not understand the concept of mute? Heck, put an option in the settings screen to mute by default if you like. They already do that for the chat. At least that way some of the team would be on the same page and maybe you non-teamplaying anti-VOIPers would follow the herd. But FFS don't keep it out of the hands of those of us that understand the way the mute button works. I know, I know, there are plenty of idiots that would use it as a griefing tool. That's why there has always been a mute system on every integrated VOIP I have ever seen.

Another classic example of a personality illustrating why people don't want to talk to them.

Try politely and thoughtfully explaining your case instead of insulting people.

#71 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 06 November 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

nehebkau(For this type of thing, VOIP is not only a can of worms, but flesh-eating radioactive worms. )

This is total BS coms programs have been used in MechWarrior since 1996 so your information is false and you are naïve .

comms used in MechWarrior games

Roger wilco
Team speak
Ventrilo
a few more etc.

* <---- the point ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- you ---> *

Let me make the point clear for you. PGI is not responsible for 3rd party coms. They are not responsible for what is said and they are not liable for them. This is NOT a technical issue but it is an issue of policing an environment and being responsible for the content you serve. IF PGI offers VOIP then it becomes responsible for the CONTENT of that VOIP. Canadian law is a little grey in this area but they DO have a responsibility under law to regulate and control hate-speech including the crap that people would spew on their VOIP system. Again, can of radio-active flesh-eating worms.

Heck half of the people on these forums can barely keep it together.

Edited by nehebkau, 06 November 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#72 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 06 November 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

I think it's laughable that people who play in PUGS are going to suddenly coordinate because of voice. If so then why does virtually no one even bother with simple chat. Ask for a plan in chat and watch all the responses along the lines of win.

Because the typing is unwieldy and broken on top of that. Start a conversation during the countdown with your teammates and it jumps from 50 to 9-8-7... as the last person gets logged in and then stomps on what you typed in. So your best time to type in questions and responses is when you are moving and it's SLOW. By the time you hash out a plan through the text system the enemy team is in position and ready to push on you and you haven't moved yet. Voice would be fast enough you could do it as you are moving.
"What's the plan?"
"I like the D3 area."
"Okay, but all our assaults are over in the F-G area they'll never get here in time."
"oh... Good point so head for F5 and work from there?"
is a lot faster in voice than typing. Also, no plan survives contact with the enemy and since you can't rapidly type while shooting and moving you can't quickly alter the main plan in text so now you might have people following a plan that is suddenly the worst thing you can do. Something like, "Alpha lance will push under and through the HPG while the other two sweep around the right side." Alpha runs into all 12 mechs and can't cry for help quickly enough or alter the other two lances circling in time to prevent a rather nasty surprise.

So what they do is show who has Coms on in the list. Then you know who might respond and hear you. Simple easy mute button in list. Those who want some co-ordination can use it and risk the players who are annoying on voice. Those who don't won't have to and we know they are not listening so won't count on them hearing it when we tell them they are NARC'd or not to go over that hill.

#73 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostRemarius, on 06 November 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

Another classic example of a personality illustrating why people don't want to talk to them.

Try politely and thoughtfully explaining your case instead of insulting people.

What are you talking about? There is no insult in my post.

#74 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

What most adherents seem to miss is that we don't want to be fiddling with comms trying to work out who we need to mute and then muting them while trying to fight. That's almost certain to get you killed. Same with languages - who gets to decide the language as you REALLY only want one language on shared comms?

Not many people would argue that Voice comms when its good is a really useful tool. What they don't want is idiots ruining their enjoyment (its a game in case you missed that).

#75 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 November 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Canadian law is a little grey in this area but they DO have a responsibility under law to regulate and control hate-speech including the crap that people would spew on their VOIP system. Again, can of radio-active flesh-eating worms.

Solved in the same way others have done it, by simply recording VOIP communications for each game and holding them for a period of time. Player reports "So and so was spewing hate speech during match." they go in and listen to recording, if it's true they save it to the ticket for the incident and ban the player. If there are no reports made of any recordings then they are purged after 3 days.

See, if you let people know that you record them and they will be banned for being jerks, they tend to speak a bit nicer.

#76 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 06 November 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

What are you talking about? There is no insult in my post.

Lol funky quote system included the wrong post.....

#77 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostRemarius, on 06 November 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

What most adherents seem to miss is that we don't want to be fiddling with comms trying to work out who we need to mute and then muting them while trying to fight. That's almost certain to get you killed. Same with languages - who gets to decide the language as you REALLY only want one language on shared comms?

Not many people would argue that Voice comms when its good is a really useful tool. What they don't want is idiots ruining their enjoyment (its a game in case you missed that).

which is why you need an opt-out in the settings, just like chat has now. And yes, an easy to use mute system for individual players is a must, as is a block list so that you can mute specific problem players forever. And violating the CoC is violating the CoC whether it's spoken or typed so feel free to report those types too

#78 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostRemarius, on 06 November 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

So instead of dealing with the occasional frustration of "whiny kid", "Stoner Dude", and "Frothing Hate Spewer"; we would rather deal with the constant frustration of not being able to get the most basic concepts/plans/information across to our team in a timely manner?

I mean I can't type in: "8 guys from E4" fast enough to save the mech about to be ambushed.

#79 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostMercules, on 06 November 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Solved in the same way others have done it, by simply recording VOIP communications for each game and holding them for a period of time. Player reports "So and so was spewing hate speech during match." they go in and listen to recording, if it's true they save it to the ticket for the incident and ban the player. If there are no reports made of any recordings then they are purged after 3 days.

See, if you let people know that you record them and they will be banned for being jerks, they tend to speak a bit nicer.

Your solution is that I should record maybe 100 matches every week and store them for posterity?

Coincidentally I don't care your intention but in many countries recording without permission is a crime. You need to explicitly tell them you're going to do it before you start and can't do it if they refuse permission.

I get where you're coming from and I leave chat logging on in MMO games I play but thats a totally different thing.

#80 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

+1 for in-game VOIP.
Please add PGI.

All arguments against it are rendered moot with an on/off option.

Edited by Axeface, 06 November 2014 - 09:51 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users