So How About Them Firestarter-A's And K's?

134 replies to this topic

#61 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:43 AM

IMO, the main problem is the Firestarter's ability to literally rear-one-shot any XL-running Medium mech, and heavily cripple non-XL Mediums. Also, the ability to run and fly as fast and as nimble as a Spider, but with twice the firepower. There's no role counterplay in the "light anti-light" field, it is literally the be-all end-all of both light scouting and combat.
Literally.

Edited by The Boz, 02 December 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#62 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

the worst 'offender' of the firestarters is the A, which has a 32 point alpha (assuming you run 8xSpla, and I mean why wouldn't you); you are not gonna truly one-shot anything but a rear-CT light that way. Two shot, if they stand still and don't twist or anything.

I mean, the counter role is 'anything with longer range than 200m.'

(also I don't see what's so great about the H; a pair of MGs are nothing to be afraid of really)

#63 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 02 December 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

I mean, the counter role is 'anything with longer range than 200m.'

Because consistently hitting something as small as a Firestarter, with the hitboxes the way they are now, going 150kph, at over 200 meters away, is totally viable counter.

#64 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:37 AM

FS9-A seems a little too strong at the moment. It goes as far as to that i start smiling at the beginning of a match when i see 2 FS9-A on my team's roaster. Unfortunately it's the only version i don't own myself.

Haven't noticed any issues with the K variant.

#65 ForkTheSpoonWrecker

• PipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 November 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

I imagine the FS9-K is similar to the FS9-A, but a bit more challenging with the lower damage and slower burn.

I just Use the -A build on the -K. I actually like it better since you have more precise aim.

#66 DasSibby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

I actually prefer the S.

Why? Dual AMS. You'd be surprised what denying the enemy LRM damage does to matches. (Basically... You win. Seriously. I rarely lose a match in my Firestarter S.)

#67 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 14 November 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

I've seen small pulse and small lasers do some crazy damage since quirks. That's all I'm gonna say...

With an Alpha of 32 and moving at +140kph, it is interesting that ALL Heavy Mechs have exactly 64 Leg armor per, when max'd. Coincidence... ;)

#68 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 02 December 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Because consistently hitting something as small as a Firestarter, with the hitboxes the way they are now, going 150kph, at over 200 meters away, is totally viable counter.

I'm not sure why everybody thinks FS9 hitboxes are such an issue. There's some hitreg issues that happen because they move fast, especially when one mech has higher latency. Other than that they're fine

#69 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 02 December 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Um... yes?

#70 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

just think, if the Firestarter was an omnimech you could have 10 small pulse lasers.

#71 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 02 December 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

I'm not sure why everybody thinks FS9 hitboxes are such an issue. There's some hitreg issues that happen because they move fast, especially when one mech has higher latency. Other than that they're fine

People by and large don't understand the armor model. They expect something like a single AC20 to be 'crippling' when it isn't to anything but a Locust.

#72 TheGallows

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 02 December 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Kay. If i see you in a pug came and a small laser firestarter is sneaking up behind you and ct coring you before you even notice I can sum that up to your being bad right? Or ill just let you solo it. Cause U that guud.

I'm not being an elitist, I make plenty of mistakes that get me killed. The difference is that I accept responsibility for my bad choices in game. Getting cored out from the rear means that the enemy player outmaneuvered me, I screwed up and didn't get my back up against cover and I damn well deserve to die.

Why do you think you should survive if you foul up and let the enemy shoot you multiple times in the back?

#73 TheGallows

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostSarlic, on 02 December 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

I can't wait to see this chassis gets nerfed into oblivion.

You should see the amount of players running the SMPL build. It's insane nowdays. Too many copies.

Oh, and their ego's.... big ego's...

It must take amazing cognitive dissonance on your part to see the numbers on the light queue and think that firestarters are somehow incredibly popular.

#74 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 02 December 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

(also I don't see what's so great about the H; a pair of MGs are nothing to be afraid of really)

lol

Who uses the H with MGs? It's quirked for MLs, so the 6 x ML build is the natural optimized build. It can poke from a fair distance and not have to go all kamikaze unlike the A or K and can alpha off 6 mls for 30 dmg for as long as it wants thanks to the heat reductions.

Edited by Macster16, 02 December 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#75 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Firestarters in general are a death sentence if one notices you when you are driving any other light. I've been trying to level Locusts, (I know they are not brawlers, hell they are barely more than half the weight) and you can't even run away effectively. What exactly is the point of the locust if the firestarter can do it's job of fast scout harasser better? What even is the point of bringing in the panther if the firestarter does light weapon platform better?

Edited by Gryphorim, 02 December 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#76 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

I actually rebuilt my K to mimic my Mist Lynx which correcting the Mist Lynx's deficiency, the lack of a torso mounted back up weapon.

I run my K with 1 x ER LL in the right arm, 3 x ML in the left arm and a single ML in the CT. Love that build on my Mist Lynx, love it even more on my Firestarter considering it has alot more armor and is faster plus having a CT weapons for when the arms get blow off is golden.

#77 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostMacster16, on 02 December 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

lol

Who uses the H with MGs? It's quirked for MLs, so the 6 x ML build is the natural optimized build. It can poke from a fair distance and not have to go all kamikaze unlike the A or K and can alpha off 6 mls for 30 dmg for as long as it wants thanks to the heat reductions.

okay, but if you're just gonna run a 6xmla fit I'd rather do it in a jenner F

#78 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yup I see MPL, downgrade engine, half the AMS and ammo. MOAR HEATSINKS and that would be a stellar bird.

#79 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 02 December 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

okay, but if you're just gonna run a 6xmla fit I'd rather do it in a jenner F

The JR7-F is still a very strong light and there are many situations where it will outdo the FS9-H thanks to the arm mounts, but overall, the FS9-H does the 6 ML build better. More range and less heat thanks to quirks along with the far better durability due to the hitboxes (every JR7 pilot can attest to having those games where you die in a flash cause all that dmg from that single alpha went into your CT which is something that simply doesn't happen with FS9s) have made the FS9-H the better ML build.

The JR7-F used to be my goto light, but since quirks it's now the FS9-H as it simply outperforms the JR7.

#80 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 02 December 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Firestarters in general are a death sentence if one notices you when you are driving any other light. I've been trying to level Locusts, (I know they are not brawlers, hell they are barely more than half the weight) and you can't even run away effectively. What exactly is the point of the locust if the firestarter can do it's job of fast scout harasser better? What even is the point of bringing in the panther if the firestarter does light weapon platform better?

I'd take a Locust any day over a Firestarter in Conquest, which is my go to mode for making Cbills. I don't want to oversell it, because the Firestarter can be a real asset if a Conquest game just becomes yet another Skirmish match with collecting points as an afterthought, but if you're looking to maximize money, zipping along at just shy of 170 to capture points for bonuses is fantastic. The Locust can hit full speed in almost instantly, and it's small enough to avoid notice, while Firestarters draw eyes like a topless supermodel. The Pirate's Bane is the Inner Sphere ninja.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users