Russ Said "we Said" There Was To Much Brawling

170 replies to this topic

#41 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Russ is on an island, but since we evacuated from there already, I think he's getting his info from the monkeys.

#42 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 19 November 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Idk where this pic came from, but it seems to fit.

Posted Image

For some reason, the blackest of black metal started playing in my head the instant I saw this.

#43 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

Battlemaster...Banshee....Atlas...Optimus (P)?

;)

Edited by Ghost Badger, 19 November 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#44 SteelKiller

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

Check the similarities...even the poses.

Posted Image

#45 Sachimon

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostZetrein, on 19 November 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

You obviously weren't here last year, during the poptart sniper days I referenced.

LRMs are the new poptart, due mainly because of how overused they are. What I said there, about snipers being hated because the tactic didn't allow the mech under fire to fight back? Same deal with LRMs, with a bit more focus-firing. Taking LRM fire from one mech isn't bad, taking fire from a mech you can see isn't a problem. The problem comes in that all they need is one mech to see you, then you're hiding behind a rock from about two hundred missiles, because it's the only way to avoid watching your mech melt around you.

JJ's are nerfed so now there will be only snipetarts without "pop"-thing. LRMs are just bad in random but due upcomming CW that "light out of a blue" thing can not be nerfed. Only mistake done is ECM nerf.
The thing is we still need snipers cause they are more harmless than LURMboats... just step-off direct fire line.

#46 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

again fixing lrms is easy....

1) slow down the rate of fire on lrms and lower the screenshake on lrms. but increase the damage per missile on lrms to keep the dps the same.

2) severely nerf spread and tracking on indirect fired lrms

3) buff artemis so its actually worth using and so direct lrms can compete better with other direct fire weapons

#47 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

More brawling isn't anywhere near a bad thing.

#48 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostKhobai, on 19 November 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

again fixing lrms is easy....

1) slow down the rate of fire on lrms and lower the screenshake on lrms. but increase the damage per missile on lrms to keep the dps the same.

2) severely nerf spread and tracking on indirect fired lrms

3) buff artemis so its actually worth using and so direct lrms can compete better with other direct fire weapons

Slow RoF, lessen trajectory unless fired at a NARC/TAG. Let Artemis improve tracking power of direct fire missiles.

#49 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 19 November 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Battlemaster...Banshee....Atlas...Optimus (P)?

;)

Battlemaster, Banshee, Atlas, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Grand_Titan

#50 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

They're using short ranges weapons because PGI has spent the last year nerfing ranged weapons in the name of "We asked some competitive players and they want brawling to be more viable and the optimal range of combat is 600 meters"

#51 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I rarely see brawling, it's mostly just LRMs and ranged fighting. All the brawlers have to hide the majority of the match, even in swamp when it starts raining. Seriously even on that map LRMs hit like trucks and most all fights I see are 800+ on that map.

I'm probably the only one that thinks this probably... no one ever has anything similar to what I see apparently.

#52 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'd like to know who is feeding Russ these lines about there being too much brawling. The important thing to note about short range vs longer range weapons is that almost all long range weapons are just as strong at short range as they are at long. An ER Large Laser will be just as deadly at 270 meters as it is at 675 meters. Brawling weapons on the other hand are literally useless past their maximum range. I can't do anything with my SRMs if a Raven 3L is at 800 meters with nothing but open ground between us. This is why you have to balance brawling weapons so they can out damage/dps long range weapons. Otherwise why the hell would you ever equip anything but sniper weapons?

So again I would like to know who is telling Russ this and what their argument is.

Edited by Jman5, 19 November 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#53 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have seen some people complain about "face-hugging *******" when I'm SRM brawling. It was actually a reason for wanting mechs so explode and cause damage when they are killed.

*hint* All the complaining I saw was from lurm lobbers, just sayin'

#54 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSleipnir Cameron

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostZetrein, on 19 November 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Snipers aren't hated because they're deadly (though that is also a reason), they're hated because you're dead without a chance to fight back. This is also the reason for some of the LRM hate.

so you are blaming: poorly limited weapons loadout and the opponents choice of ranged combat, and mech positioning/movement.

wow...just wow... "sniping" allows you the strategic or tactical advantage for the battle, choosing to not utilize it is your own damned fault. complain more please.

#55 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostDeltron Zero, on 19 November 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

There can never be too much brawling.

Ahh yes, the least intelligent most vulgar form of combat, the brawl.

The Brawl
No need to target as the enemy fills your entire screen.

The Brawl
No real need to aim as the target fills your whole screen.

The Brawl,
Where every fight is Mano a mano, May the biggest dumbshit win.

The Brawl
Where you never have to ask, "is there a plan?"

The Brawl
Where every map is treated the same, rush in straightest possible line to center of map so that the BRAWL may occur.

The Brawl
Where their is no need for thought

The Brawl
MWO version of tic tac toe

I don't want to play tic tac toe, I want Chess or better level of play.

#56 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

If there is too much brawling matches would end in like 2-5 minutes. I'm still seeing a lot of LRM/Sniping at the start of matches. The only reasonable snipers are ECM mechs that can move fast or mechs with high mounted hardpoints that can move fast.

I'm not really sure what they define as a sniper or long-range mech. A mech that fires beyond ideal range? The longest range weapon in the game is 1k meters. Anything beyond 450m is long range combat and is not considered brawling as defined by the Brawler rewards. I see a lot of fighting beyond 450m.

What I do see is that unless you are plinking at 1300-1400 meters with ERs or doing the same at closer ranges with a fast ECM mech, there is no other way to be a 'sniper' in this game unless the enemy team just decides to ignore you.

#57 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

The Brawl,
Where every fight is Mano a mano, May the biggest dumbshit win.

LOL

#58 Zetrein

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostSoHxPaladin, on 19 November 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

so you are blaming: poorly limited weapons loadout and the opponents choice of ranged combat, and mech positioning/movement.

wow...just wow... "sniping" allows you the strategic or tactical advantage for the battle, choosing to not utilize it is your own damned fault. complain more please.

I'd suggest you consider what I deemed a "sniper" build, in that very post you quoted. Let me just copy/paste that here: "...having a torso blown out by three to five PPCs at 900, with the mechs firing at you hidden in an ECM bubble, as they poptart from behind a hill."

Does that sound like something that's been a problem this year? The poptart builds were nerfed last year, by various means. The tactic might still show up from time to time, but it's not the instant mech-killer it was. PPC travel time has increased, and gauss cannons have a spin-up time that prevents them from being abused like that. It has made a mild comeback with the Dire Wolf, but high-alpha builds are just something assualts do. Aside from that? The other common sniper build is a Raven or Spider with ECM and a couple ER lasers. With ERLL as the weapon of choice these days (on anything that can't mount more than one gauss cannon, anyway), snipers just aren't the threat they used to be.

The point I was making in that post wasn't that something was not a valid tactic, but was comparing the current LRM-spree to the poptarting of old. They're hated by those who can't counter them, because it makes players frustrated, because they spend their matches hiding behind a rock instead of fighting other players. The devs are aware of this, at least one has personally felt it based on what I've heard around here.

They've realized this is a problem, because it is something that will drive away players. Especially new ones.

Edited by Zetrein, 19 November 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#59 Sovery_Simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 19 November 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

There can never be to much brawling.

There can never be too much brawling.

#60 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostAbivard, on 19 November 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Ahh yes, the least intelligent most vulgar form of combat, the brawl.

To facesmash an enemy is easy. To brawl takes practice. To brawl well takes intelligence and strategy. More so than laser sniping or Lurming at very least.

Running into enemy mechs with guns blazing is not the same as brawling.

Of course this is just my 2 cents though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users