Too Many Lrms?

432 replies to this topic

Poll: Too many LRM boats? (502 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many LRMs present in typical games?

1. Yes (183 votes [36.45%])

Percentage of vote: 36.45%

2. No (242 votes [48.21%])

Percentage of vote: 48.21%

3. Yes, but only during challenges. (77 votes [15.34%])

Percentage of vote: 15.34%

Which way do you consider best to handle LRM over-usage?

1. Nerf LRMs (decrease speed/damage, or increase heat) (55 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

2. Usage dependent on line-of-sight (130 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

3. AMS rewards (to attract more players to use it) (256 votes [29.26%])

Percentage of vote: 29.26%

4. Reduce BAP range (harder to counter ECM) (81 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. Improve AMS (group damage, lower hp per missile, etc.) (131 votes [14.97%])

Percentage of vote: 14.97%

6. Adjust LRM flight trajectory (147 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

7. Increase minimum range (17 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

8. Further active countermeasures (PPC hit lock disruption, new modules/equipment besides ECM) (58 votes [6.63%])

Percentage of vote: 6.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#341 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 December 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Make kills worth more in a challenge and watch the LRMs go back to normal levels in them. Its merely players gaming the obvious to get better scores to win swag. B)
No, that has the unintended consequence of morons jumping in front of you trying to steal your kill.

Kill and assist values are fine where they are at, EXCEPT now that I'm thinking about it maybe what you intended to mean was that a "KILL" should only be counted >>IF<< you've scored a SOLO kill (done the most damage), otherwise it should only count as an assist.

That "might" do it... But you probably will still have some level of dipshittery going on where morons jump in front of your guns to try and steal that kill.

I think the best, most fair, adjustment is the in the (enemy damage-team damage)/15, portion of the calc. Either subtract a portion of the LRM damage, or award additional damage when an enemy is taking LRM damage from someone utilizing your UAV, NARC, TAG, target lock.

I think it's easier to just subtract some from the score when it's LRM damage... But the BEST solution is to add to everyone's score when it comes to LRM damage, I just don't see it being anywhere near 'easy' to do that though...

Edited by Dimento Graven, 02 December 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#342 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostMercules, on 02 December 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

So again we are back to the conclusion that LRMs work in PuGs because there are a LOT of bad players running around in PuGs being targets making taking LRMs worth bothering with. We don't need to nerf LRMs, we need to educate bad players.

So much of this, it's not even funny.

#343 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 December 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

No, that has the unintended consequence of morons jumping in front of you trying to steal your kill.

Kill and assist values are fine where they are at, EXCEPT now that I'm thinking about it maybe what you intended to mean was that a "KILL" should only be counted >>IF<< you've scored a SOLO kill (done the most damage), otherwise it should only count as an assist.

That "might" do it... But you probably will still have some level of dipshittery going on where morons jump in front of your guns to try and steal that kill.

I think the best, most fair, adjustment is the in the (enemy damage-team damage)/15, portion of the calc. Either subtract a portion of the LRM damage, or award additional damage when an enemy is taking LRM damage from someone utilizing your UAV, NARC, TAG, target lock.

I think it's easier to just subtract some from the score when it's LRM damage... But the BEST solution is to add to everyone's score when it comes to LRM damage, I just don't see it being anywhere near 'easy' to do that though...

I have no problem with them doing Dumb! They wanna jump in front of my 90 point alpha let em die. But with assists being worth more you will have more Missiles. so which evil do you wanna support more?

#344 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 December 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

[Stuff about Challenge Calcs]

Honestly, I think the best thing PGI could do would be to hide the formula for the challenges. If they didn't tell people how the scores were being figured out people wouldn't make it their mission to game the system to get the best pay out.

The challenges should have people trying their best, helping their teams, and attempting to win the match - while playing the game normally.

#345 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

People still complaining about lrms? releasing the hellbringer and nerfing the bap on the same day has made lrms irrelevant.... let it go.

Stil t hink those challenges should be based around the "flanking" "brawling" "lance formation" bonsues etc thou.

Edited by zortesh, 02 December 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#346 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

From a pilot who uses LRM's.

LRM's are just fine as they are. Some people enjoy using LRM's, others do not. Everyone has an opinion. I actually feel sorry for the Mods and the people who are trying to make this game when they only hear complaints. We should be appreciative in the fact that we have this game at all!

Right now we have new Mechs coming out, a few new maps, and an entire potential for new items. If this game is to survive and become one of the best games there is to play, we need options as well as to expand our player base.

What new features on maps would you like to see (leave the old maps pretty much intact as they are)?
What new cockpit items would you like to see?
Where and how can this game expand?

We can make this into the best game that ever was...!!!

#347 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 02 December 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

From a pilot who uses LRM's.

LRM's are just fine as they are. Some people enjoy using LRM's, others do not. Everyone has an opinion. I actually feel sorry for the Mods and the people who are trying to make this game when they only hear complaints. We should be appreciative in the fact that we have this game at all!

Right now we have new Mechs coming out, a few new maps, and an entire potential for new items. If this game is to survive and become one of the best games there is to play, we need options as well as to expand our player base.

What new features on maps would you like to see (leave the old maps pretty much intact as they are)?
What new cockpit items would you like to see?
Where and how can this game expand?

We can make this into the best game that ever was...!!!
Ask these questions in their own separate thread and be happy to participate!

Edited by Dimento Graven, 02 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#348 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

I do kind of okay in my LRM boats. Not super awesome, but it's... okay.

Do you know when I play them? When my Radar Derp module is trapped in dead mech and I want to use my Target Decay module instead. That's really the only time.

#349 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

View Postzortesh, on 02 December 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

People still complaining about lrms? releasing the hellbringer and nerfing the bap on the same day has made lrms irrelevant.... let it go.
No where near the truth and a bald face exaggeration.

Stil t hink those challenges should be based around the "flanking" "brawling" "lance formation" bonsues etc thou.
This is an interesting thought and one I'd like to try out once or twice...

#350 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostFut, on 02 December 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Honestly, I think the best thing PGI could do would be to hide the formula for the challenges. If they didn't tell people how the scores were being figured out people wouldn't make it their mission to game the system to get the best pay out.

The challenges should have people trying their best, helping their teams, and attempting to win the match - while playing the game normally.
I hear what you're saying on this, though you have to admit it wouldn't take people that long to figure in general what style of play is garnering them the most points and walah we're back to square one.

When all it takes is a maximum 15 minutes after a match to figure out if you got the point or not, and all you have to do is take a screen shot at the end of each match... There's less difficult things to figure out...

#351 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

There should be an option to lower cockpit shake too.

Personally I think the whole LRM system needs to be rethought. It is both too easy and not much fun to use (except for trolling), and its awful to have a great brawl ruined by a Mech out of sight raining death on you. I would remove the "heat seeking" part, make them faster, and give you a mechanic that lets you shot a specific part of the ground (mouse wheel in and out an icon on the ground), allowing over hill attacks without locks. There could also be an option to Guide the missiles yourself, flying one in First Person leading the rest of the pack, leaving your mech open to be attacked. Damage and what not would need to be completely changed, but I think it would be worth it to make it a fun, and skill required weapon to use.

In the meantime I shall run my LRM Troll mech, to show the unbelievers the pain that LRMs can inflict and spread the hate of LRMs to all :P

#352 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostClint Steel, on 02 December 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

There should be an option to lower cockpit shake too.
Well now that you mention that I do know there is a IMPROVED GYROS module you could equip.

Probably for contests and challenges, it might be worth losing a mech slot to...

Personally I think the whole LRM system needs to be rethought. It is both too easy and not much fun to use (except for trolling), and its awful to have a great brawl ruined by a Mech out of sight raining death on you. I would remove the "heat seeking" part, make them faster, and give you a mechanic that lets you shot a specific part of the ground (mouse wheel in and out an icon on the ground), allowing over hill attacks without locks. There could also be an option to Guide the missiles yourself, flying one in First Person leading the rest of the pack, leaving your mech open to be attacked. Damage and what not would need to be completely changed, but I think it would be worth it to make it a fun, and skill required weapon to use.
I disagree that LRMs need to be changed, and the only reason I reply to this is because you're about to be flamed due to your supposition of "heat seeking" when clearly you meant "target tracking", but there are folks in this thread who are willing to jump on ANY misstatement as they believe it scores them a 'point'...

In the meantime I shall run my LRM Troll mech, to show the unbelievers the pain that LRMs can inflict and spread the hate of LRMs to all :P
Have fun!

#353 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 December 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying on this, though you have to admit it wouldn't take people that long to figure in general what style of play is garnering them the most points and walah we're back to square one.

When all it takes is a maximum 15 minutes after a match to figure out if you got the point or not, and all you have to do is take a screen shot at the end of each match... There's less difficult things to figure out...

Which is why I said about 10 pages ago that the challenges are a joke and taking them seriously is laughable. Sign up for them, participate, but don't worry about who or who is not getting an advantage in completing them.

#354 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 December 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

No where near the truth and a bald face exaggeration.

This is an interesting thought and one I'd like to try out once or twice...

I don't feel its an exaggeration, I've had the incoming missile warning in one game so far since hellbrigner came out... out of about 30 or so games.... ... and I've been playing a direwhale.. so i am the primary lrm magnet.

Edited by zortesh, 02 December 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#355 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostMercules, on 02 December 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Which is why I said about 10 pages ago that the challenges are a joke and taking them seriously is laughable. Sign up for them, participate, but don't worry about who or who is not getting an advantage in completing them.
I realize how what I'm about to post is going to sound, trust me I do.

I am mostly unapologetic about it, so take it at face value:

Sorry, but I'm not of the 'participation award' generation, if there's a winner or loser I give a crap as to the out come. My sense of 'fair play' doesn't include giving an award just because someone "shows up".

I'm sure at some far point in the future, they'll look back on this part of world history and one of the primary reasons for the current decline of world culture will be listed as, "A lack of caring about winning or losing, as evidenced by 'participation awards' and a fear of making anyone 'feel bad' for doing badly."

I am competitive, I care about actual honest scores and 'fair play.'

As the competitions are scored on an individual basis, I care about how I do as compared to my teammates.

It may be an archaic and anachronistic concept to some, but, it seemed to provide an impetus towards exceptionalism for nearly the last two thousand years of our culture that dragged us up from a purely subsistence existence to a society capable of intelligently arguing the merits of scores from a "game" that has no actual physical reality.

Quite remarkable, really, if you look at from an appropriate perspective.

So, let's continue the push towards excellence, not just ourselves but each other as well.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 02 December 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#356 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Postzortesh, on 02 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I don't feel its an exaggeration, I've had the incoming missile warning in one game so far since hellbrigner came out... out of about 30 or so games.... ... and I've been playing a direwhale.. so i am the primary lrm magnet.
As the last few days since the Hellbringer have been non-contest/non-challenge days, my experience with LRMs has been the standard experience. A typical match will generally drop with two to three LRM users/boats per side and play has continued as it normally does.

The Hellbringer is a rather limited ECM carrier considering, and the changes to BAP (reducing the radius of ECM cancellation) have neither increased nor decreased the effectiveness of BAP.

My experience so far shows there's been little to no effect...

Now... Let's see what happens when we get our next challenge that still uses the same ol', same ol' scoring formula, maybe what you say will be the general experience at that point. I kind of doubt it though...

#357 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Didnt say there werent missileboats, im saying only once had incoming missiles in 1 of 30 games in a direwolf....

Im expecting it to return to normal when people get bored of hellbringers or finish mastering them... but most matches i've played had 3-4 ecm mechs on each side, thankfully i've been playing direct fire so it didnt really matter, aside from lack of commmunication among those not on comms.

Edited by zortesh, 02 December 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#358 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 December 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Sorry, but I'm not of the 'participation award' generation, if there's a winner or loser I give a crap as to the out come. My sense of 'fair play' doesn't include giving an award just because someone "shows up".
I don't like giving awards for showing up either. On the other hand I don't think competition means squat. Nor do I think winning does. Here is the fact. If you have a tournament with 16 participants that means there are 15 who are not the top winner. 13 who are not even in the top three.

In order for someone to win someone has to lose. So 13 of the 16 didn't place which means when I join such a thing there is a good chance I won't place and that I'll run into someone more skilled or for who the stars aligned. So I have 0 issues with losing. Why do I join in such things then, like Warhammer tournaments? Well, to play. I'll bring my best game, but I won't whine about how I think someone else had it easier.

I'm sure at some far point in the future, they'll look back on this part of world history and one of the primary reasons for the current decline of world culture will be listed as, "A lack of caring about winning or losing, as evidenced by 'participation awards' and a fear of making anyone 'feel bad' for doing badly."

Bull... First off there would have to be a decline of world culture. Secondly you put way to much importance on Little League and Jr. Varsity to think it means anything. American culture might be in decline but that would be because of socioeconomic reasons which I won't go into on a forum about video games.

I am competitive, I care about actual honest scores and 'fair play.'

LOL! No you don't, as evidenced by the fact you want to nerf the WORST weapon system in the game. (ignoring flamers)

As the competitions are scored on an individual basis, I care about how I do as compared to my teammates.

Why? It's a video game. What you do here vanishes into the ether in about 4-5 years. It means absolutely nothing. It's entertainment. The road to where you get is going to be more important than the end results of "I completed a challenge." because that won't be what you remember. What you will remember is "There were three of them left and I'd lost my arm with my AC in it. All of them were smoking and in pretty bad shape so I made them think I went to the right and circled back around them. That let me pick of the guy with the LRMs, then the light came racing back not waiting for the Atlas and I was able to leg him. I then took off and got a shot on the Atlas as he turned around. Once he was dead I was able to wander back and shoot the light from beyond his range. It was a great match."

It's not, "...and then we got to Boston in 5 hours." it's, "So the alternator is dead and we are MILES from a town with no cell service. So we walked up the road to this diner and spent the night chatting with the waitress..."

So, let's continue the push towards excellence, not just ourselves but each other as well.

Which is actually what I am trying to do. See, you seem to think being so driven that you call a bunch of people sharing your hobby parasites and disrespecting them. You seem to think that thinking of yourself as so much better than everyone else that they don't deserve the same rewards you do as being "excellent".

You have basically said over and over, "You don't deserve this. I am better than you." which makes you a Massengill, and you have put videos out where you say things that would back me up on that assessment. So what if for 3 days someone uses a weapon system you personally don't like to accomplish a challenge? Did it really impact your chances of accomplishing said challenge?

Your argument is, "They are getting what I get but I think they are getting it too easy." That is the very definition of you thinking you deserve a participation award you just complained about. Someone else was smarter than you and figured out how to game the system. Now you think you deserve more than them because it was harder for you in your opinion. Heres your little trophy, "Ya did good too son."

#359 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostMercules, on 02 December 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

I don't like giving awards for showing up either. On the other hand I don't think competition means squat. Nor do I think winning does. Here is the fact. If you have a tournament with 16 participants that means there are 15 who are not the top winner. 13 who are not even in the top three.

In order for someone to win someone has to lose. So 13 of the 16 didn't place which means when I join such a thing there is a good chance I won't place and that I'll run into someone more skilled or for who the stars aligned. So I have 0 issues with losing. Why do I join in such things then, like Warhammer tournaments? Well, to play. I'll bring my best game, but I won't whine about how I think someone else had it easier.
If you don't care what's the point of putting forth the effort?

If you don't care you have no motivation to really even try.

Bull... First off there would have to be a decline of world culture. Secondly you put way to much importance on Little League and Jr. Varsity to think it means anything. American culture might be in decline but that would be because of socioeconomic reasons which I won't go into on a forum about video games.
Really not even moot as neither of us will live long enough to see the proof of it in the future.

LOL! No you don't, as evidenced by the fact you want to nerf the WORST weapon system in the game. (ignoring flamers)
See? There you go again, THERE YOU GO AGAIN!

I have repeatedly, over and over and over stated that I think the weapon system is fine and needs no nerfing.

The ONLY thing I want to change is how the weapon is scored in contests and challenges, and the ONLY reason I want to do that is because I think it would be too difficult for PGI to change the calc to actually award EVERYONE ELSE on the team who is making that weapon system work as well as it does.

NOTHING, NOT ONE DAMN THING I have proposed changes the rate of fire, reload time, damage per missile, hits per launch, trajectories, speed of travel, etc. etc. etc. Nothing I've ever written here would EVER result in a weapon nerf.

As a matter of fact I think if the calcs were changed the hard core missile users would enjoy MORE spotting, MORE target locks, and in general MORE assistance from their team mates during challenges and contests.

Which is actually what I am trying to do. See, you seem to think being so driven that you call a bunch of people sharing your hobby parasites and disrespecting them. You seem to think that thinking of yourself as so much better than everyone else that they don't deserve the same rewards you do as being "excellent".

You have basically said over and over, "You don't deserve this. I am better than you." which makes you a Massengill, and you have put videos out where you say things that would back me up on that assessment. So what if for 3 days someone uses a weapon system you personally don't like to accomplish a challenge? Did it really impact your chances of accomplishing said challenge?

Your argument is, "They are getting what I get but I think they are getting it too easy." That is the very definition of you thinking you deserve a participation award you just complained about. Someone else was smarter than you and figured out how to game the system. Now you think you deserve more than them because it was harder for you in your opinion. Heres your little trophy, "Ya did good too son."
Actually what I have said is, "You don't deserve everything you are getting. Much of your reward is based on the efforts of others and if they can't be rewarded for their efforts fully, you shouldn't be rewarded full value either."

I totally admit to and still hold to that it is EASIER to do well with LRMs then various other weapon systems, primarily because you can take advantage of other people's efforts. Those who are insecure about their own skills will make up all sorts of bullshit about how, "No no no! It's the hardest weapon system to use EVAR!" Claiming that making a decision based on target lock predictions, or what the target is near, or the maybe the phases of the moons of Jupiter will increase their chances of destroying an enemy, whatever, the actual point is with LRMs and its indirect fire capabilities it is easier to survive and do well for anyone including new players. Not as easy as "spray and praying" laser and ballistics fire, but more survivable. Certainly easier to learn than gauss use (as evidenced by how long it takes the average NEW player to get around to using gauss)...

I do acknowledge that there is SOME means of making the weapon system perform better and MOST OF THOSE require appropriately utilizing the targeting information provided by other team members, OR, investing additional modules and equipment to increase to hit and decrease target acquisition time.

However, let us NOT EVER think that because the OTHER team members did well, and junior was able to sit back and put a small circle in a big square, wait for a big circle and pull a trigger that his efforts and skill utilization matched anywhere near everyone else's.

It's why, yes, at the end of the season the whole Superbowl winning team receives a ring, however, when it comes to contract negotiations, quarterbacks and receivers typically receive higher salaries than kickers. Each definitely requires some skill to their job, but the value of the skills is reflected in the pay.

In the case of MWO and challenge/contest scoring calcs, not so much...

Let's fix that.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 03 December 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#360 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 01 December 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

GREAT IDEA - PAY ATTENTION

1). LRMs can only ever use indirect fire if supported by TAG or NARC... aside from that they are a direct fire weapon that can arc over terrain.

2). LRMs get a solid buff to damage and cockpit shake(NOT SPEED) .

3). LRMs are better for those who like them AND those who do not. Role warfare for scouts/scout lances becomes a thing... using LRMs in mixed loadouts becomes viable for IS mechs. LRMs are now a better weapons system...

4).(optional) Ammo explosions from stored missile ammo become more destructive.

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 01 December 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Nope. They dont need a nerf. I pug drop with LRMS. it is the most frustrating experience I have ever had to deal with.
...I spot tag/narc and lrm my own dam targets because I cannot rely on pug teams to hold locks long enough for my missiles to hit.

EXACTLY! I'm talking about making LRMs BETTER for players like you and far worse for disengaged pizza-munchers. I run my founders cat with twin ARLM15, 3 MedLas, TAG, max JJ and enough speed/ammo to provide close support to my team and benefit from friendly AMS/ECM... my 'LRM boat' is often involved in brawls as a second line mech... I HATE seeing LRM boats(looking at you Stalkers) sitting away in the backfield waiting to be swarmed because they cannot see if their missiles are impacting efficiently.

Removing 'e-z-mode' spotting would make this possible... it would also make getting NARCed a total terror experience... and make hunting NARC scouts a tactical decision and... follow this train of thought to greater tactical movement.

It may be an archaic and anachronistic concept to some, but, it seemed to provide an impetus towards exceptionalism for nearly the last two thousand years of our culture that dragged us up from a purely subsistence existence to a society capable of intelligently arguing the merits of scores from a "game" that has no actual physical reality.

2000 years is quite a stretch... the Renaissance period is really the watershed moment(historically speaking) if you're looking for intelligent argument and assigning value to insubstantial concepts(more so considering that ideas we now think of as metaphysical wishy-thinking... like religion... were a real and present force before the age of rationalism dawned).

I would characterize the notion of achieving value and self worth through an intangible success in what is universally acknowledged as a game more as a sign of our collective conscious accepting that fact that humans are on some primal level necessarily violent and that exorcising that violence in what was(even 30 years ago) a 'children's pass time' is more culturally evolved then getting drunk and staring a fight at a local bar.

Of course you want to win, you just want to do it humanely

Edited by Sam Slade, 05 December 2014 - 01:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users