177 replies to this topic

#61 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I still play on an almost weekly basis around here. We are currently trying to adjust some of the rules/special equipment to be better or feel better. One of the things we have done is allow for vehicles and infantry to assault, and changed the way formation firing works. Overall it seems to have brought some of the older/under powered units back into the fold. I'd actually love to get some other people to try out the changes and provide some feed back. Keep in mid though that we haven't played on a standard 3' x 3' area since tournaments went under and now just play on a bigger table with two or three people to a side.

#62 Valerin

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWatkins,CO

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Anyone remember this ole boy?? Love this mech.

Posted Image

Just in case my pic doesnt show up... I am talking about Mason Dunne. One on the best mechs ever in my opionion.

Edited by Valerin, 13 June 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#63 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

A few of my friends and I have finally started up a campaign with our old pieces. We're still hashing out some of the story line, but we are using some story elements from the battletech wiki that we've been researching through. At some point we may buy a Battletech book for a more stable resource, but so far its turning out really interesting.

At first we're starting out with all low level pieces (mechs from range 80 - 130) just to demonstrate the lack of technology and so no one uses thier best pieces right off the bat. Still haven't decided on point values of the infantry and vechiles just yet. As missions progress and years pass we gain the ability to slowly use pieces with higher point values to show the progression of the technology.

We're thinking of the idea of a set game master to set the playing field and do a before mission briefing. I can't wait to do a PowerPoint presentation to do a briefing! ;) And then play out like a typical Role Playing game goes with certain objectives and a progressing storyline.

When the ball gets rolling I'll post more and maybe some pics.

#64 Kithmar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I haven't played in a long time, until recently. Friend of mine suddenly asked if I still had all my units and if I'd like to play a game. So we've played a few since then and I find myself getting back into it. I quit playing just before Falcon's Prey launched so I've bought some boosters from later expansions. It's amazing how there is still a stock of brand new units out there, never been opened.

By the way, does anyone have a list of the Faction Abilities?

Edited by Kithmar, 14 June 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#65 Kal Raddick

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostLarsh, on 14 June 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

A few of my friends and I have finally started up a campaign with our old pieces. We're still hashing out some of the story line, but we are using some story elements from the battletech wiki that we've been researching through. At some point we may buy a Battletech book for a more stable resource, but so far its turning out really interesting.

At first we're starting out with all low level pieces (mechs from range 80 - 130) just to demonstrate the lack of technology and so no one uses thier best pieces right off the bat. Still haven't decided on point values of the infantry and vechiles just yet. As missions progress and years pass we gain the ability to slowly use pieces with higher point values to show the progression of the technology.

We're thinking of the idea of a set game master to set the playing field and do a before mission briefing. I can't wait to do a PowerPoint presentation to do a briefing! :( And then play out like a typical Role Playing game goes with certain objectives and a progressing storyline.

When the ball gets rolling I'll post more and maybe some pics.

larsh - if you are looking for battletech novels, ive got an e-book. just give me your email. the whole compilation i think it around 60mb. ill send you a staggerd compilation about 25mb each. just post a reply here.

please let me know guys if anyone you know is willing to let go their steel wolves lot. thank you.

Edited by Kal Raddick, 14 June 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#66 SoZettaSlowpoke

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I still play this game whenever I can con one of my friends into doing so. One of the cooler MechWarrior timelines, IMO. The amount of money I put into this game is ungodly. I still can't resist buying up any packs I see at comic shops and similar places.

Good times. I was sad when they discontinued the game.

#67 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Memories? Yes. Some of them fond. Most of them not. Still have my Clan Jade Falcon, Rasalhague Dominion, and a handful of Steel Wolf minis. I also picked up the Wolf Spider lance set a couple years ago.

I liked that the rules were much simpler than BT. I liked the clicky-tech. Loved the scale.

But overall, I strongly disliked the rules. Frankly, I think the minis plus Quick Strike would be an awesome combination. I still need to pick up an RD Anubis, Savage Wolf, and Marauder IIC, though. Maybe an RD Mad Dog IV if I can find one....

Edited by Haakon Valravn, 23 June 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#68 Bariman

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I played it from the beginning of Dark Age to partway through the Age of Destruction line, the Annihilation set I believe. I still have a large collection in storage, but I don't at all remember what I have. I was going to index them at some point, possible to sell them on eBay, but I haven't had the time yet.

I liked the pilot and gear cards for AoD, I thought it added some neat customization to the game. And the quad-mechs looked pretty cool as well.

I can only vaguely recall a fun moment, when I placed highly enough in a match to win a booster pack, which contained a super-rare Crimson Hawk mech. I'm pretty sure it was AoD-line so it came with a pilot and gear card, but I can't remember any more details about it. It's probably in my collection somewhere.

#69 Kooky Carter

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I started during the Dark Age expansion and played up until, I think Annihilation. I remember playing in the tournaments at my local hobby shop for years; I was primarily Swordsworn until Clan Jade Falcon came out and then I switched to them for competitive play. The Age of Destruction expansion with the pilots and gear was cool but it made it have too much depth for casual "blow-stuff-up" games. It was a fun game at the time but I prefer the complexity of BattleTech since I have learned to play it...now I just need to convince people I know to play.

#70 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGnomeregan, Dun Morogh

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I dove fairly hard into MW:DA, and at one point I came very close to buying buying entire booster cases with parts of my paycheck. I loved the rules, how quick the games went, the strategy involved with cobbling together your units, and the tactics involved in small army matches.

I ran a number of games at a local gaming store and offered to become that stores battlemaster, but the owner declined. I think he was making too much money on Magic the Gathering and Yugioh to set aside any store space for that game. It was the pits, everyone who came to play loved the work I did, especially when I'd bring my boombox and play the Mechwarrior 2 soundtracks for ambiance. Won a couple of booster prizes and I think I've got one or two LE's, but real life took over and I stopped playing around the end of the first expansion. This probably shielded me from the neckbearded power gamers that tend to ruin everything.

I've got my minis stored somewhere, I should get them out one day and play. ;)

#71 Darksoul719

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Here some of my collection much smaller than what it used to be

Posted Image

Mechs:
Top Row:
Ares "Poseidon" (still in case)
"Solitude" Atlas
Kodiak
Nova Cat x2
Loki
Agro mech Mk II x2

Bottom Row:
Thunder Fox
Spider
Raptor II (LE)
"Big Bertha" Rifleman (damaged sadly T_T)
"Bolt" Arbalest
Mining Mech Mk mod II

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Solitude" Atlas (republic of the sphere)my favorite mech in my collection, would be awesome if this was introduced into MWO

Edited by Darksoul719, 29 June 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#72 Tooninki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFinland/FRR

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostValerin, on 13 June 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Anyone remember this ole boy?? Love this mech.

Posted Image

Just in case my pic doesnt show up... I am talking about Mason Dunne. One on the best mechs ever in my opionion.

Damn!
Never got Mason Dunne, even from eBay, GIMME!

#73 mechsae

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ah so many fond memories of this game, after Age of Destruction came out.

I got disinterested when Death From Above came out... had a friend who cherry picked rares from places and just had this massive collection. He'd always run Caden Senn against me... freaking ryoken 2 with freaking -2 damage armor >.< Augh.... just was a pain to even try to hit... didn't help I lost my squad of clan nova cat Battle armor that would of helped take it down.

AoD ... wow, I got back into it hard core and started to help get others in to the game. Even used it to stepping stone a few folks in to Battletech. Had a blast there, and while i did run the occasional "oh god, that's cheap" army, I'd balance things out with something that was solid and not a bunch of cheese with pieces and cards.

Also painted this up for the battlemaster of our store as a birthday gift
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

I also got into doing some basic mods
Yen-lo-wang
Ostscout
Commando

A Dark Age Centurion gave up it's arms to fix Yen-lo-wang... They put an axe and shield on it... -shudder-
The game did have it's problems with pure junk pieces and sometimes just waisted potential. I have to agree that wizkids didn't know how to produce proper sets.

#74 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

I only ever bought a few of these, mostly trying to get specific mechs, but I was never willing to pay through the nose of a piece of plastic manufactured in china, so I never got anywhere near the mechs I really wanted. My damned Vulture lost an arm when it was shipped to me as well. :/

#75 phelan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Casually and for fun with good friends, it was a great quick way to get some thematic Battletech games in. As a competitive format, where the LE prizes lead into a vicious cycle of winning more LE prizes... It was horrible. Not well enough balanced for most of it's history if you were really trying to be cutthroat about it.

BUT, that said, I had some great times playing with my younger brother on a board I built us in my parents basement. Still have all my pieces stored in the closet too.

#76 Foolproof

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

I played from the start to the jade falcon expansion. I was lucky enough to live in a town with three supported organized play leagues running. I played for mini prizes every other day for years, i guess. Lots of corruption among the stores and judges but it was fun to have an us vs. them attitude among the players.

I atill have so much matterial from this game. Weekly mission sheets, the metal pins from wiz kids, terrian print outs, organized play prize boxes, all of it. Best figures would have to be the clan wars special event prize (steel wolf warhammer, i think) and hitoshi sato (the best infiltrator transport).

I expect MWO will inspire the same deadication in me. I'll be glad to be seeing more of all of you.

Foolproof

#77 Glendel

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I bought this stuff by the booster case! Loved it to death. Sometimes I would get a couple booster cases but rarely as time went on because there were so many into the game that the one case would get me nearly a full set and I could trade off extras for the rest of the set. Played 2-4 tournaments a week from Olympia up to Seattle, did I say I loved this game??? I guess I was a "power player" though I don't really feel that that is an accurate tag for this game. My typical competative army was only 6 pieces, never lost and could be easily traded for by anyone that wanted to. Won regionals with it, won nationals with it. (if there was not a draft in Worlds I would have won there as well dangit) When it wasnt a ranked game I would get more creative with my armies and still RARELY lost a game.

And that is what I like about the game, if you REALLY had a strong sense for tactics and cause and effect view of the game there is not much min max to it. People would always try and build these LE armies and "themed" armies around the latest and greatest can't lose internet craze, and generally they were just...... I don't know...... meh? People were just too one or two turn minded in the game and seemed like they felt LEs or the latest 'fad' would make them win. But I think I am soap boxing here....

The game was awesome. When the cards came out I hoped for more greatness but I feel it took what was supposed to be a QUICK game and turned it into way too much. Most people I encountered loved the game for the simple fact of, 'here is my container of pieces', poof 3 minutes later here is my army lets do this.

Miss this game a lot. Sets and sets of pieces just sitting in display cabinets not getting used anymore. Sad.

Glendel

#78 Heatfreeze

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

I absolutely love this game. Played up till the Jade Falcon expansion. I can say I have about 1000 - 1500 pieces.

I keep an eye on ebay from time to time to try and pick up pieces from Age of Destruction an on, but I keep getting sniped at the last moment. Its hard to find any pieces or cases on any website nowadays. I am always on the lookout for people selling or giving their collection away, as I want to collect as many pieces as I can so when my kids are of age they will be able to play too!

#79 Ducks Guts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.A.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

I still play MW Dark Ages n Age o Destruction. Every two weeks I have what we have dubbed "NerdNite". Six of us get together in my garage (nicely converted into a gameroom) and play for hours. Sometimes teams or sometimes free-for-all. Um, heh, my collection: close to 300 mechs, 200 tanks n VTOLs, uh infantry in the thousands? lol. Some house rules have been set due to rule changes. Built my own game table and create all the false, down-scaled scenery n terrain (land bridges, hills n mountains, waterscapes, trees etc..). My kids love it and have bought decent collections of teams off the internet ( with my creditcard of course!). Yes, like most of you, I had an intermission just after AOD, about a short decade lol. Still love it and thank god for EBay.

View PostHeatfreeze, on 10 July 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I absolutely love this game. Played up till the Jade Falcon expansion. I can say I have about 1000 - 1500 pieces.

I keep an eye on ebay from time to time to try and pick up pieces from Age of Destruction an on, but I keep getting sniped at the last moment. Its hard to find any pieces or cases on any website nowadays. I am always on the lookout for people selling or giving their collection away, as I want to collect as many pieces as I can so when my kids are of age they will be able to play too!

Have you tried miniature market or thewarstore minis?

#80 Colin Pryde

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

I played Dark Age a bit. Minis were horribly expensive here (Brazil) but after the game passed its prime I was able to snap up some bargains on ebay. It's all stored up right now but my plan is to start a multiplayer story-driven campaign, with 4 or 5 factions fighting over a group of 2-3 neighboring worlds.

All I need is players.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users