Mechwarrior; Dark Age / Age of Destruction

177 replies to this topic

#81 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ah, Clix. I loved this, and still badger the heck out of everyone trying to get them to play a game or two.
Unfotunately, I got started right as WizKids went bankrupt, so I never did find anyone to play with. Still a goal of mine to go to Gencon Indy someday, though.

#82 Elite130

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

Rumor has it I played a little.

I might have been good at it ;-)

#83 Hal Aglin

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostElite130, on 29 July 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Rumor has it I played a little.

I might have been good at it ;-)

Ha! Right.

#84 Argon3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

I played Republic Pure factions mostly
I had a few LE's but mostly just the stuff from boxes
I collected alot but never Ebayed stuff away
I played for fun

I did win a complete set at a con that I sold to a buddy

I guess the old house rule we had was you played one army the whole day
Never posted but I think we listed our armies for points check to begin

I kept them in case I ever find a TT game in DFW

I also played the magic clixs
I forgot what it was called
I kept the Skeltons and stuff like that for DnD mini's

Edited by Argon3, 30 July 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#85 Plymouth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I love Dark Age. Still have many. Didn't get much into the Age of Destruction. I enjoyed the storyline and (most) the mech redesigns. However, I think the game got lost in an arms race and some of hte game aspects weren't balanced adequately later on. However, the addition of pilots and gear was a great idea, but still needed balanced in some fashion.

Still, great memories. I still play on occasion.

#86 TIDY CAT

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

When I go back into TT last year but the starter set was still sold out, I bought a few lots of DA/AoD minis off Ebay for cheap. I use them primarily for playing CBT on a 2" hex mat. The mech bases just fit on the hex and the DA/AoD minis give me a good mix of mechs, vehicles and infantry. N scale railroad terrain is the perfect size and looks great on the mat. I have to do a lot of proxies, but that doesn't bother me or my opponent (usually my daughter.) Plus, I can always play the clix game as well so I get two games out of the same investment.

#87 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

I have a lot of game pieces though I never actually played the game...

#88 Mythrider

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I loved that game so much, one of my fondest memories was taking out one of the titan mechs out with just artillery and infantry.

#89 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

An Ares you mean? That probably would have been impressive to watch. For me, when playing against an Ares, it's the primary objective to kill. When I have it, I'm guaranteed to run into a critical heat cascade. Never fails.

Last two games I played I got really owned though - my opponent spammed DFAs and only missed twice - once per match. That really hurt when they were running the Blitz Jade Hawk hot, so they had all the damage pluses.
On my side, I made only a total of three hits, killing nothing either game. My dice hate me so much... I'd miss the initial engagement attacks, then I'd receive so much damage from their paired DFAs (Blitz and a Mortis) that my fate was sealed from then on.

Edited by Alicorn, 11 August 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#90 Blazeddd

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, US

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have hundreds (if not into the thousands) of pieces and no one to play with in Oklahoma! D:

I loved this game SOO much. I have tons of Steel Wolves, Jade Falcon, and Spirit Cats pieces and in Tool boxes, no less.

#91 Balkhan

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

I still have mostly Clan Jade Falcon, Swordsworn, and merc pieces. I won quite a few LEs at tournaments. Some I still have - the Kurita mech is the only mech (iirc) with artillery...

Posted Image

#92 GreyTemplar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

t.t I do miss this game. I had all of the LE's up to the Liao release. Had to unfortunatly stop playing with the Chicken release due to military obligations.

#93 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

I have to say that with all this talk of Age of Destruction and other board versions of the game, I am starting to think I missed out only having played the PC games from Mechwarrior 2 onwards.

#94 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostAlicorn, on 11 August 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

An Ares you mean? That probably would have been impressive to watch. For me, when playing against an Ares, it's the primary objective to kill. When I have it, I'm guaranteed to run into a critical heat cascade. Never fails.

Last two games I played I got really owned though - my opponent spammed DFAs and only missed twice - once per match. That really hurt when they were running the Blitz Jade Hawk hot, so they had all the damage pluses.
On my side, I made only a total of three hits, killing nothing either game. My dice hate me so much... I'd miss the initial engagement attacks, then I'd receive so much damage from their paired DFAs (Blitz and a Mortis) that my fate was sealed from then on.

Titan II

Description

The Titan II is a BattleMech produced by Kressly WarWorks on Epsilon Eridani for the Word of Blake's Protectorate Militia. First identified by the Successor States in 3071, the Titan II owes its existence to the Titan, a prototype that dates to 2765. That design was unearthed by the Federated Suns in 3023 and led to the Grand Titan. That design deviated significantly from the original, while the Titan II is more of an upgrade using new weaponry.[2]
Like the original, the Titan II has a top speed of 54 km/h and nineteen tons of standard armor. Since the 'Mech is produced for Blakists garrison forces, it makes no use of expensive, weight-saving technologies. It also lacks the advanced electronics that have become the hallmark of Word military forces.[2]
[edit] Armament

While the Titan II is effective at all ranges, it is still reminiscent on its antecedent's role as a brawler. Its main long-range fire comes from a Blankenburg "Divine Wrath" Heavy PPC. This is supplemented by a pair of Helga MML-9s, though they are more effective up close. In addition to those missiles, when it closes with an enemy, the Titan II can cut loose with a ZT Triple Fire Streak SRM-6, four Diplan M3-XR ER Medium Lasers and a single Kressly Premiere Optics ER Small Laser.[2] Eighteen double heat sinks are usually up to the task of keeping the 'Mech cool.[1]
[edit] Variants
  • TI-1A - The original Titan never reached full-scale production, though rumors abound that the Federated Suns produced prototypes, some with upgraded technology. The 1A called for two PPCs, six Medium Lasers, four SRM-4s, and an SRM-6. It only had twenty-two heat sinks and a different armor configuration.[2] BV (2.0) = 1,959[3]

#95 Taleros

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanton IL USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I loved this game still have all my stuff.

#96 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I still play pretty much every Sunday with three other people, usually, at a game store for fun. If anyone is in the general Tacoma, Washington area and is looking for people to play, let me know. It would be nice to have a few more people!

#97 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

I still have all my stuff. now i wanna bust them out but i lost the rules book and forgot somethings since its been awhile. mostly spirit cats/ ghost bear/ and nova cats with other stuff here and there.

#98 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostHans Davion, on 12 August 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Titan II

Oh, no no no... I know quite well about the Titan/II/Grand Titan, but there is no "Titan" in Dark Age/Age of Destruction. Battletech, yes, but it never appeared in plastic.
If you look in Sarna there, there should actually be a "Category:Dark Age Mechs" that covers all the mechs on Sarna that appeared in MW. (I actually helped compile some of that page back when it was just getting started. Good times.)

In other news, I did play another game last week, which came out overwhelmingly in my favor this time. It was a short 450-point game on a mostly empty table, and I managed to dominate at range. The star of the show was the Nova Cat Phoenix Hawk I - a sixteen inch TSEMP is nothing to scoff at when the opponent has built their team mostly around a single assault mech.
I proceeded to shut them down with TSEMP and then mopped the floor.
Posted Image

Edited by Alicorn, 19 August 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#99 Stable Manager William

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I used to be a BattleMaster for WizKids and run events at my local FLGS. It was fun for awhile. I even went to GenCon ten years ago and ran events there, including a few huge kill and keeps.

Like someone said earlier, packrat gamer, still have my collection, though every so often I chop one up for bits for 40k. I sadly broke my Dropship, and while it was hard, I threw it away.

#100 Magdalen

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Excellent to see there's still interest. If anyone's in North Georgia I'm willing to host games. I've been a hardcore collector and casual player since the game was new and it is one of the games I miss from back in the day. Here's my shrine, um, i mean gameroom, for mechwarrior. Please ignore the monpoc, it was an accident and I didn't really mean it :D

www.gyrefalcon.net/mw.htm

I look forward to seeing you all (in my cross-hairs) in Beta. :P

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users