Mechwarrior; Dark Age / Age of Destruction

177 replies to this topic

#101 Darkravenkin

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

I used to love playing this game. Im actually waiting on a case of DA boosters to come in the mail ;) I stopped playing after DFA and sold my collection off to a friend. I know it'll be tough trying to get some of LE's but Im going to try my best.
Bannson's Raiders we're my faction i played often. My fav mech was the legionnaire. I used to charge him into close combat and in two years of playing never once was he killed. Players started calling that one piece Bubba. i even had a friend mod him. Took the gun oun out and he replaced it with a spinning chain gun. Also made its hands open and close and put a sledgehammer in there. Ah the good old days :P

#102 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostHal Aglin, on 06 May 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Oh, you know... I played a little bit. :P

well hello mr. The Awesome

I just want to say that I'm a huge fan of the Flavio Challenge!

View PostElite130, on 29 July 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Rumor has it I played a little.

I might have been good at it ;-)

good is an understatement! haha

-------------

hey Brinxter, cheers man. guess what? me and a about 12 other guys still play the game at my office every other Sunday since 2004. guess my old Battlemaster duties are hard to quit.

nowadays we have a few house rules and play 1500 points for the old-timers, and 600 points for the new guys. yeah, new guys.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers,

Oliver

friend of TW1Kell and those mad bunch of Clan Wolf /Steel Wolf guys who managed an awesome "on roleplay" thread that knocked heads with the other mech heads from 2004 to 2008.

Edited by Colonel Jaime Wolf, 01 October 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#103 rainwalkers

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

I am sorry to say that I sold all MY DA stuff :P

Regret it.
I did play very much, but love to collect them. Now I am looking for a few deals on Ebay every now and then.

So what did I learn from this..... Don't sell your stuff

#104 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

First I would say MW Darkage is not classic Battletech, period.
It was a very poor try to convert a realy good game to a greedy money grabbing "I sell you tiny minatures produced for a cent per piece for ten dollars a piece".
Back here in good old Germany the real classic Battletech was never as popular as BT was in the 90s in US. But it never died that way.

#105 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

@The Basilisk

I play and love both CBT and MW: Age of Destruction. and there were and are really great communities that come from the two systems. so what if the business model was flawed?

and in defense of MW:AOD, I believe the sheer number of players, thousands around the world from Peru, Singapore, Belgium, Germany, the Philippines, and the USA, etc., who played monthly tournaments done between 2004-2009 did far more actual games than many who strictly play the classic TT rules.

with AOD, I could have whole companies fight each other to secure various victory conditions w/ in an hour of meaningful play (1500 points, 10 orders). not just "wipe the other side out". I'll still be fresh enough to have another game. we could have a tournament in a matter of 4 hours that consisted of 3 rounds. everybody would hang out and spend as much time talking about their matches and tactics.

look, I still actually PLAY Battletech on a monthly basis. more often than a lot of "purist" battletech guys, but only if I have a laptop that is running MEGAMEK on it to do the die rolling and record keeping for us.

bashing the either gaming system is pointless dude. MW: Dark Age or Age of Destruction and Classic battletech are both Battletech

Dammit, I'm old enough to remember when Battletech was our "geek's game" that we used to do in our friend's garage in '89 aside from D&D. we even hid the stuff when the older cool kids showed up!

so this hostility between the "purist" cbt guys on the MW guys to me is quite silly. aren't ya'll happy just to see this game finally hitting mainstream gaming again?!

again, I'm too old for nerd faction wars. my wife thinks so too. hahaha

lets all have a beer and blast stuff when the game comes out.

cheers,

CJW

Edited by Colonel Jaime Wolf, 01 October 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#106 KeeperVS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

I remember it fondly actually. i thought it was a great game but my gaming group at the time never really got into it beyond a few basic sets. I thought it was a perfect way to introduce a new generation to Battletech without scaring the crap out of them with all the rules of classic Battletech.

I just bought a lot of Battletech stuff recently to try and get into some tabletop gaming, but I'm having a hard time of it. This coming from a guy who had absolutely no problem playing D&D, Epic 40K, Warmaster, Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, and tons more during his early teens.

I'd play the game again if they reintroduced it with better balancing. What my real dream is, is to see pre-painted miniatures released for the real tabletop game. I consider myself part of the "D6 Generation" but I know many people who are scared off from tabletop gaming because they have to paint their miniatures for them to even look decent and to be honest I don't have loads of time to be bothered with it as much anymore.

Edited by KeeperVS, 01 October 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#107 Darkravenkin

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

I was wondering if some knows of any where else besides ebay where I could find some limited editions for sale?

#108 Ulric Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 October 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

First I would say MW Darkage is not classic Battletech, period.
It was a very poor try to convert a realy good game to a greedy money grabbing "I sell you tiny minatures produced for a cent per piece for ten dollars a piece".
Back here in good old Germany the real classic Battletech was never as popular as BT was in the 90s in US. But it never died that way.

This is your opinion. As someone who's run both CBT and DA/AoD games they are both good games that are what you make them. DA/AoD becomes better by several improvements with heat/turn management. It's not CBT, but it is a good game when you elevate it using custom rules.

#109 Piotr

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 30 September 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

well hello mr. The Awesome

I just want to say that I'm a huge fan of the Flavio Challenge!

good is an understatement! haha

-------------

hey Brinxter, cheers man. guess what? me and a about 12 other guys still play the game at my office every other Sunday since 2004. guess my old Battlemaster duties are hard to quit.

nowadays we have a few house rules and play 1500 points for the old-timers, and 600 points for the new guys. yeah, new guys.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers,

Oliver

friend of TW1Kell and those mad bunch of Clan Wolf /Steel Wolf guys who managed an awesome "on roleplay" thread that knocked heads with the other mech heads from 2004 to 2008.

Just awesome all i have to say, wish it was still popular and going on. Noone here has the time or patience to play this around chicagoland.

#110 New001

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

This seems like something me and a few friends would definently enjoy. I've been looking all over the place, and I can't find a dealer around here in Edmonton, Canada. Does anyone know any Canadian online stores where I might be able to purches these? I've found a few places that originate from the states, but the delivery prices are more than the actual cost of the product.

#111 Ulric Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostNew001, on 03 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

This seems like something me and a few friends would definently enjoy. I've been looking all over the place, and I can't find a dealer around here in Edmonton, Canada. Does anyone know any Canadian online stores where I might be able to purches these? I've found a few places that originate from the states, but the delivery prices are more than the actual cost of the product.

So this isn't actually made anymore so buying it at a regular store/brick and mortar isn't really possible. Your best bet is to go on Ebay and look for lots.

#112 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

our next game is the Sunday after this one. I guess I'm just lucky to have a bunch of like-minded 'mech nerds all living close by

#113 Piotr

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostNew001, on 03 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Unfortunatly as mentioned by someone else, these are no longer made, and people make more money shipping them then the actual product. I been getting all mine on ebay primarily, but yes i been paying a lot for shipping.

This right here is a great deal just not sure what shipping to you would cost, age of destruction fixed a lot of issues that the beginnings of the game had, new rule set and all. I would reocmmend when buying to get age of destruction and up since they all use the newer rules. Some of the cool pieces are in the older sets though so its something you can get into later.

http://www.dacardwor...e-48-ct-wzk2206

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 03 October 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

our next game is the Sunday after this one. I guess I'm just lucky to have a bunch of like-minded 'mech nerds all living close by

Heck yeah the game is a ton of fun, I only was able to learn the basic gameplay and was having fun while I had people to play with. Was just learning the advanced rules before everyone stopped playing.

Edited by Piotr, 04 October 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#114 New001

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I know, they aren't produced anymore. I was just mostly trying to figure out where I can buy them from. Piotr thanks for the link, but I don't think I'll be buying 48 booster packs. Was just looking to get a starter set so me and a few friends can play in our down time.

#115 Piotr

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostNew001, on 04 October 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I know, they aren't produced anymore. I was just mostly trying to figure out where I can buy them from. Piotr thanks for the link, but I don't think I'll be buying 48 booster packs. Was just looking to get a starter set so me and a few friends can play in our down time.

As cheap as it gets

http://www.ebay.com/...74335%26ps%3D54

http://www.ebay.com/...74335%26ps%3D54

All you need to play, and decide if you like it. Plus the two included mechs are really good mechs too.

#116 RiffWrath

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

I played MWDA from the outset until a couple of years after it went out of production. We were lucky to have 3 and sometimes 4 local venues hosting tournaments. I was a battlemaster. My faction was Davion/Sword Sworn and my group mostly played faction pure. I got the drop ship and every other unique I wanted except Rusty Cooper, the SS long tom with the 4" dinner-plate-of-death target pog.

We made a few changes to the rules (for house games) including allowing gear and pilots on DA mechs (DA uniqes could get only one gear since the pilot was built in).

We created campaigns which produced HUGE games with multiple players and combined armies totalling over 20,000 pts on 6x8 tables. Those were really long games.

One (almost) local venue still hosts a 'world championship' tourney every year. This year we had 24 players, I think, representing at least 5 states.

Yeah, good times.

But venues dried up when there was no way for them to make money on the game, and our club lost it's lease so those days are gone but I still have a lot of my units, and we still talk about getting a regular game going again.

These days we have moved on the something completely different in TT gaming: Flames of War.

#117 Nickel Eye

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have a force of Steel Wolves and a large Spirit Cat / Nova Cat force. I've been trying to find others who play it in my area, but it seems like everyone is back east. I noticed one person looking for Steel Wolves stuff and I might be interested in a trade if the conditions are right, PM me if you're interested.

So does anyone here play this game and live in the Inland Empire area?

#118 Malis A Novacat

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationat optimum range and getting closer

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I played WK Clickytech from start to finish. You might notice my login name matches a Spirit Cat unique mech. Yep my favorite Faction even without the extended range energy weapons. Best mech in the Dark Age and it's expansions, was the Non-Unique Blackhawk that played just like the CBT Nove Prime omnimech. Alpha Strike and Shut Down with a long wait to cool. But if you hit the target, then your infantry jumps in to capture what ever is left.

Well, infantry jumps in anyway to distract opponents until the sleeping mech recharges it's lasers, but I almost never missed.

After AoD, base-break and formation range attacks became less common, and the tiny P-Hawks with TSEMP, geared with Pulse became my new Scary Mech. Where the B-hawk was alone and supporting a bunch of CBAs, the P-hawks usually ran in groups of three and the single infantry unit (if there were any at all) was left to guard the deployment zone.

GC

#119 GriffonX

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the InnerSphere

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

I started playing around the time Liao Incursion came out and I played all the way up to the end. I absolutely LOVED it and it got me into playing BattleTech. Went to GenCon Indy in 07 and played in the S7 Chamionships and lost to someone with the same exact setup ( roll to see who wins err I mean goes first). As far as tourny play went I was pretty dang good I found a 600 point Liao and Steiner army that were both incredibly hard to take out. 24 attack with IT and Armor piercing love =D for Steiner and an incredible piece of gear that let you use both primary and secondary weapons (if both were in range) at 14" for my Liao. I recall rolling 6 crits in a row one game and having the BM test my dice to make sure they weren't loaded despite them being clear red. Told the opponent he could use my dice per the rules and he did .... rolling a crit miss!! Sadly he never returned to that venue =( . Ahhhh the great memories I have of this game. Alas I don't live anywhere close enough to a place where I can play anymore and not enough people around to host at the house so the memories are all I have left. Well that and those dice =D

#120 yarddog

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostDarkravenkin, on 01 October 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

I was wondering if some knows of any where else besides ebay where I could find some limited editions for sale?

What are you looking for? I have more DA/AoD than I can even believe. I look back and think, "Where did I get the $ for all this stuff?" Buying a few boxes a week for years adds up, I guess. I also won a few uniques at the tournaments they used to do.

This was a great game. When it was first announced I had mixed feelings about jumping into the future the way they did, and the RotS, but I loved the incorporation of the utility mechs powered by I.C.E.'s. The game mechanics were new to me, and quite unique; and they worked well, I thought.

My girlfriend used to paint my BT minis in the DA color schemes and they looked bad a**. Picture this: a vet Dragon's Fury team comprising of a Strider, a Slayer from Aerotech, some Elementals, a clanner Ares tank, and a clan Ishtar fire support vehicle. I still have it displayed on a shelf. She would also paint DA mechs in schemes of factions that never got them. For instance, she painted a Bannson Raider Catapult in the Liao scheme, and a Targe in the Highlander scheme. I found it odd that in the historical background wizkids made for it, if I remember right, the Targe was made on Northwind, the first mech produced by the Highlanders, where before they'd always been jealous of the Kell Hounds/Wolf's Dragoons facilities to make their own mechs; but wizkids never made a Targe for the Highlander faction. So my girlfriend made one for me, and she paints them so good, they are indistinguishable from factory mechs.

Sorry for getting so wordy, but y'all got me excited about DA

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users