Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#17121 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

That's the most graphic Miltank fighting I've ever seen.

Spoiler

#17122 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 01 August 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

And why are we spoiling farm animal nipples again? lol

some people might have issues with cows or pigs

#17123 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 August 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

some people might have issues with cows or pigs

Yes, because farm animals are so offensive now in days.

Anyways back on topic. Here are my predictions for the remainder of 2017 in terms of mechpacks. This is assuming worst case scenario that they return to a mech a month type of deal, and best case scenario that they listened to the 2 mechs a month:

August : Piranha / Flea

September : Rifleman IIC / Thanatos

October : Black Lanner / Hellspawn

November : Solitaire / Hollander (this might be a flop so idk)

December : Blood Asp / Fafnir

This is going by Gas' poll and what won the most popular categories. Also keep in mind, that Tina did take these results and presented it to PGI during one of their meetings. Crossing my fingers that my pet mech doesn't get swept under the rug this year.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 02 August 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#17124 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 02 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Yes, because farm animals are so offensive now in days.

Anyways back on topic. Here are my predictions for the remainder of 2017 in terms of mechpacks. This is assuming worst case scenario that they return to a mech a month type of deal, and best case scenario that they listened to the 2 mechs a month:

August : Piranha / Flea

September : Rifleman IIC / Thanatos

October : Black Lanner / Hellspawn

November : Solitaire / Hollander (this might be a flop so idk)

December : Blood Asp / Fafnir

This is going by Gas' poll and what won the most popular categories. Also keep in mind, that Tina did take these results and presented it to PGI during one of their meetings. Crossing my fingers that my pet mech doesn't get swept under the rug this year.

Seriously if the Hollander winds up being picked, this meme best enplanes my response.

Posted Image

#17125 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Seriously if the Hollander winds up being picked, this meme best enplanes my response.

Posted Image

Yeah, it will be pretty lackluster. It might be a better choice to include the Hollander II and throw in an extra amount of weapons to supplement it's Gauss rifle. Something like what MW:LL did with their Hollander II mechs.

#17126 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

I will be pretty happy if the Flea gets finally included. Due to volumetric scaling, I think it will be similar in scaling size to the Locust AND the Piranha if that one gets added too, might be just as small. As shown.

#17127 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 02 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Solitaire

Interesting, seems like a bit of a Clan Commando. I wonder why this Mech is not any more popular here, since CDS fans are a vocal group here.

View PostMetus regem, on 02 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Lights are my second most played class, and I'd be furious if they chose Mech that adds absolutely nothing to this class. But then, they released a civil war pack without Mechs that actually had a notable role in the civil war - so who knows?

The irony is that people who voted for the Hollander don't want to play it. I know this for a fact since I have never seen a Hollander-build, even though it is easily possible in MWO.

Fortunately, there are Javelin and Osiris which hopefully filled the slots for IS light Mechs for a while. They are the least popular weight class and PGI probably makes more money by selling heavier Mechs.

#17128 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 August 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Lights are my second most played class, and I'd be furious if they chose Mech that adds absolutely nothing to this class. But then, they released a civil war pack without Mechs that actually had a notable role in the civil war - so who knows?

The irony is that people who voted for the Hollander don't want to play it. I know this for a fact since I have never seen a Hollander-build, even though it is easily possible in MWO.

Fortunately, there are Javelin and Osiris which hopefully filled the slots for IS light Mechs for a while. They are the least popular weight class and PGI probably makes more money by selling heavier Mechs.

Lights and Mediums are my go to in MWO, as I can honestly say the Hollander is counter-intuitive to the way lights and mediums work in MWO...

Not to mention it will be ammo starved and easy pickings for anything else... I mean it's a 5/8, that means it is an easy meal for any clan medium or heavy in the game right now... Ontop of the fact that it is built aroound the "One big Gun" idea that doesn't work as well as many small guns do in MWO...

View PostArnold The Governator, on 02 August 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Yeah, it will be pretty lackluster. It might be a better choice to include the Hollander II and throw in an extra amount of weapons to supplement it's Gauss rifle. Something like what MW:LL did with their Hollander II mechs.

Yes I know that the BZK-F5 (Hollander II) does have a couple of back up weapons, a medium laser and SRM/2, but that's not a lot of up-gunning for gaining 10t over the BZK-F3.... Really there is nothing redeeming about this mech.... But people thought the Uziel was going to be the best medium in the game when it got added.... not like I was one of the people saying it would be average at best and a death trap at worst...

#17129 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

Re: Thanatos

... I just had the realization that PGI could do what they did with the Arctic Wolf and release a mixed BattleMech/OmniMech pack. I know the Thanatos Omni is only a prototype in canon (if that), but let's be real: there will be non-canon variants in MWO since the Thanatos only has three variants (and even they have to be changed). So the reinforcement pack could easily be two OmniMech variants.
The Thanatos might not be the best Mech to run a fixed XL engine, but it presents the opportunity of a mixed pack. Same with the Argus.

#17130 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 August 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Re: Thanatos

... I just had the realization that PGI could do what they did with the Arctic Wolf and release a mixed BattleMech/OmniMech pack. I know the Thanatos Omni is only a prototype in canon (if that), but let's be real: there will be non-canon variants in MWO since the Thanatos only has three variants (and even they have to be changed). So the reinforcement pack could easily be two OmniMech variants.
The Thanatos might not be the best Mech to run a fixed XL engine, but it presents the opportunity of a mixed pack. Same with the Argus.

I like this idea, perhaps give the omni version a distinct advantage of good ST structure / armour quirks to offset the isXL engine.

Edit:

This would also be a good way for them to test the waters for is Omni's as well.

Edited by Metus regem, 02 August 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#17131 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

The Hollander could be an acceptable gundam if it had strong ballistic cooldown and velocity quirks, allowing it to use something like an AC/10 or something similar to good effect while keeping pace with the Puma/Uller. Also armor quirks on the side torso for obvious reasons...

Problem is that it's another quirk-dependent gundam. I don't like to rely purely on quirks because PGI can take them away at any time...or simply never give them in the first place.

#17132 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Anytime now?
Posted Image

#17133 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

The irony is that people who voted for the Hollander don't want to play it.

I want to play it, but I am also very much aware of my status of...

On an island

For a lot of stuff like that

View PostOdanan, on 02 August 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Anytime now?
Posted Image

Been hoping for that one since the clans were announced.
Wasn't expecting it till the tech upgrade.

Now?
My body is ready.

#17134 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 August 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Anytime now?
Posted Image

You think the Piranha is next? I know he mentioned it was coming soon, or would be in the next 4 mech pack, but if we go back to singles it could be something else. Technically we have gotten one Clan light and 2 IS lights since the last IS heavy... so I dunnoooo...

#17135 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

I also would play it.

I'd buy at least the standard package too.

#17136 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 02 August 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

You think the Piranha is next? I know he mentioned it was coming soon, or would be in the next 4 mech pack, but if we go back to singles it could be something else. Technically we have gotten one Clan light and 2 IS lights since the last IS heavy... so I dunnoooo...

It's all speculation at best. It would make the most logical sense since there was so much outcry for the clans getting their 20 ton light. Personally I'm not going to buy the Piranha, but I will consider getting it for c-bills since slapping all those machine guns and micro pulse lasers on it will be fun (assuming that it isn't nerfed into the ground by that time). I just hope everyone pushing for the mech will realize that PGI will either nerf the mech itself with it's alpha capabilities (thus losing what made the mech fun to begin with), or just downright nerf the weapons that it can boat thus ruining more mechs that depend on those weapons in the process.

#17137 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostOvion, on 02 August 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

I also would play it.

"Would"? You do know that you can do it? Right now. Posted Image
Get a FS9-H and you can build a Hollander; you can literally build the very same Mech and see how well that goes.

#17138 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

"Would"? You do know that you can do it? Right now. Posted Image
Get a FS9-H and you can build a Hollander; you can literally build the very same Mech and see how well that goes.

Except that on the FS9 you get the same hip-level hardpoints you get on the AS7.

I am not saying that the Hollander will be good.
But it will be better at that job than the Firestarter.

#17139 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Well that's true, but come on... that is not much of an issue for a light Mech, at least it is not as big of a deal to justify blocking a valueable Mech release slot.

"Oh yeah, we could have given you [insert Mech], but instead we give you what is essentially a phallic Firestarter variant with a higher hardpoint... and less hardpoints overall, plus lower engine cap."

#17140 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

WHIIIIIINE

When I started playing, that exact same argument was made about Assaults.
A few months later I heard it about heavies.

EVERY weight class has advantages in that situation.

As I said, it will probably not be a good mech.
But better at a job is better, and at this point we really have very little that a new mech will actually add to the game.
Especially by your standard, judging by your open dislike for the Hollander being added.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users