#17281 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:59 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 09 August 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

I was not sure about the Stooping Hawk. In TT it is a fine Mech and fairly mobile thanks to ok speed and great JJs (8 iJJ on the -F!). But would the average MWO Clanner (most of whom don't even know the Blood Spirits) be exited by an Omni with STD-engine?

But other than the STD engine, the Mech might be fairly potent in MWO if given some quirks.

well the Stooping Hawk need to be compared with the Huntsman - Stormcrow and Nova differ to much.
The Huntsman is (imho) the best medium Mech and it doesn't have quirks anymore (as said quirks are bad because you can not build you Mech on quirks - keep with the "fixed" stats)

I did run two builds on the Huntsman non of them are "super" but they do what they should do and i can perform good enough (for me) - those build is the LB10X in combination with ERPPC or dual ERPPC with AMS support for both variants.
The Stooping Hawk can have the same build but would lack the heatsinks.
The LB10X-ERPPC might be the better option for the Stooping Hawk - anyhow the Huntsman is superior so it seems obviously that the Stooping Hawk would need quirks (the falancy of the quirk metric however is - if the Stooping Hawk is super successful they tend to remove quirks (like they did with the Huntsman lately) - the problem when you remove quirks the Huntsman is again the better Mech for 5t less....

but this is a global problem (and people at PGI need to think about - combining equipment with quirks) or at least they should have thought about it in the first instance, the ship has sailed the harbor a while ago

#17282 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

The Stooping Hawk loses 7.5 tons just for using that Std. Engine instead of XL. Compared to the Stormcrow, it's slower, has less hardpoints and podspace - it only excels in the fact it has jumpjets. Also, it's cockpit is badly placed and it would probably have worse hitboxes. I wouldn't say it will never come to MWO, but who would take that instead of the Vapor Eagle, for instance?

PS: and yes, quirks can save it. Quirks can save any mech.

#17283 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

Posted ImageOdanan, on 09 August 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

It sound similar but the meaning is different - I accuse the missing BV (similar just scan the forums for good ideas) and the different paradigms of the game modes for this, mixed with the 1:2/3 copy of tt construction rules and stats

You have tonnage relevance in FP -> so 80t > 75t correct?
You also have tonnage in Group QP - because 2 guys can have 200t and 12 guys can have 600t to overcome their communication advantage correct?
But you have no tonnage based MM in Solo QP - correct? there is the idea that each Mech has equal worth.

So what is it?

You need quirks for both - you need massive quirks to make each Mech perform like another - or have other game mechanics that help winning (info warfare, game modes) that can be achieved by some Mechs more effective

You need quirks when you consider 75t<80t either.... but the tonnage based balance is already screwed because 4 IS ER-M-Laser > 1 L-Laser....
so in the end the more Mechs we want to have and the more Mechs we want to be viable the more the missing base balancing concept became obvious.

That on the other hand makes it very clear which Mechs will be the next - and the Black Lanner has 200% better chances over Crimson Langur or Stooping Hawk - same for Hellspwan over Cobra or Chimera & Daimyo or Templar & Legacy, Blood Asp before Scylla.... the next mechs are only those with good chances to generate income and PGI will play it safe with MW4 Mechs

#17284 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:28 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 August 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

The Stooping Hawk loses 7.5 tons just for using that Std. Engine instead of XL. Compared to the Stormcrow, it's slower, has less hardpoints and podspace - it only excels in the fact it has jumpjets. Also, it's cockpit is badly placed and it would probably have worse hitboxes. I wouldn't say it will never come to MWO, but who would take that instead of the Vapor Eagle, for instance?

Would I prefer it to the Vapor Eagle or the Crimson Langur? No, certainly not.
Would I prefer it to the Uziel? Any day. Posted Image

Again it is not a good choice, but there is no reason - absolutely none - to exaggerate the weakness of a design. You should, for example, first look at the alternate configurations before you pass any judgement on the hardpoint count. The Stooping Hawk is littered with HP. And the cockpit is on the place it is on the Huntsman, and that's hardly an issue. Perhaps a tad lower, but I don't see a problem. Hitboxes are ok, nothing spectacular, but again nothing bad.

What makes the Mech look bad is the STD, nothing more nothing less. There might be some niche builds requiring lots of crit-space, like heavy lasers with lots of DHS. Overall it will be worse than the Stormcrow...
... and of course it will. Compared to the Stormcrow pretty much every other medium will look bad, because the Stormcrow is meant to be the best medium.

Again, I have no interest in the Mech as I prefer Vapor Eagle and Crimson Langur (or even Black Lanner), but we need to be fair. You must not start being overly critical towards a solid if outclassed design. Again, compared to the PoS that is the Uziel, the Stooping Hawk is a marvel of engineering.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 09 August 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

the next mechs are only those with good chances to generate income and PGI will play it safe with MW4 Mechs

I don't think Night Gyr or Huntsman sold badly, and I would not think the Nightstar sells badly. And the best seller so far was the (IS) Marauder.

Also I really don't know how the supposedly popular Uziel did financially since its population died within a week.

#17285 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 09 August 2017 - 05:28 AM, said:

Also I really don't know how the supposedly popular Uziel did financially since its population died within a week.

This is what I think happend:

Posted Image

There was nothing aside from MW4 nostalgia saying that the Uziel would be anything other than bad at worst to average at best. If people chose to look at it as it was in MW4 where you could mount clan spec gear on it and have immortal XL ST's, rather than looking at all other sources that screamed it was "average" and "unloved/unwanted"... well about time they took a hit to the rose coloured glasses...

Me though, I got lucky with my Bushwacker, she has surpassed my expectations of her. That being said, I went in expecting it to be average at best, what I got was a solid platform that works for my style of battle, Water Warrior.

To take from WH40K, this is by no means a comprehensive and easily transferable set of ideas, just a general idea.

Spoiler

#17286 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 August 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

Nice analysis... I see I'm more an "Earth" mechwarrior.

#17287 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 August 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Nice analysis... I see I'm more an "Earth" mechwarrior.

While thank you for the praise, I am undeserving of it, as I am not the author of that analysis, that belongs to Silent Requiem, from Bolter and Chainsword. His entire work can be found here:

http://www.bolterand...-water-warrior/

#17288 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 August 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Not to mention it's TRO art that Alex uses as his inspiration.... As all other sources are non cannon, so I wouldn't get too attached to the look from other sources aside from the TRO's....

If this is considered original TRO artwork:

Spoiler

But instead we got this in MW:O :

Spoiler

Then I am 1000% ok with them using a completely new designs with inspirations from the older. I never was a fan of the TRO anime robots, and the reseens are something left to be desired. I've always felt that the TRO artwork never did the mech justice of how armored it was supposed to appear. Like most of it's 11 ton of visible armor went to it's lower half. Why? Lol.

#17289 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 09 August 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is the best, in my opinion.

#17290 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 August 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

While thank you for the praise, I am undeserving of it, as I am not the author of that analysis, that belongs to Silent Requiem, from Bolter and Chainsword. His entire work can be found here:

http://www.bolterand...-water-warrior/

Fire here - first in line... first to die

When i was drop leading 5 years ago i was however more the water guy.

#17291 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

I made a Stooping Hawk spreadsheet because boredom. Or, as I like to call it, the "Stoopid Hawk."

Posted Image

The main concern is the awkward hardpoint layout.

#17292 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

2 er large laser zombi detected....

#17293 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostFupDup, on 09 August 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

I made a Stooping Hawk spreadsheet because boredom. Or, as I like to call it, the "Stoopid Hawk."

Posted Image

The main concern is the awkward hardpoint layout.

10E hardpoints? Not bad...

Still, the Stormcrow has 13E, better speed and more free tons...

#17294 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 August 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

10E hardpoints? Not bad...

Still, the Stormcrow has 13E, better speed and more free tons...

There comes a point when you have too many energy hardpoints to make effective use of, due to Ghost Heat, regular heat, and trying to spend your excess of free tonnage on DHS but running out of slots quickly even with smaller Clan dubs.

In particular, the Crow will definitely run out of those more free tons quickly if you're trying to megaboat Micro/Small/Medium type lasers. I think the Stoopid Hawk would actually be a little bit better for that kind of job for this reason. Laser boats need slots way more than tons.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just remembered the altered JJ hardwiring rules. You can't use the torso E hardpoints without using JJs, so that sucks away 5 of your critslots if you want all 3E. Light and Medium JJs are very inefficient when it comes to their "tons-per-slot density" ratio. Still, the point about having too many lasers remains in effect.

Edited by FupDup, 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#17295 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Hey Fupdup if you got sometime today? Can you make hardpoint spreads for the list of IS mechs here?

https://mwomercs.com...n-is-omni-pack/

If not it's all good!

#17296 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostCK16, on 10 August 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Fupdup if you got sometime today? Can you make hardpoint spreads for the list of IS mechs here?

https://mwomercs.com...n-is-omni-pack/

If not it's all good!

I already have some of them...but I'll update them for my newest formatting type. Expect it in a few hours or so.

#17297 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Thanks man!

#17298 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

Here are the three requested IS heavy Omnis.

Posted Image

The only real worthwhile variants are Prime and E. The rest are just filler.

Posted Image

Many variants are invalidated because of having C3, unfortunately. Also has a bit of a hardpoint famine.

Posted Image

A lot of hardpoint moving had to be done, with the moving of ammo to compensate. This gundam runs out of slots fairly quick. On a side note, the leg-mounted ECM is pretty unique.

Edited by FupDup, 10 August 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#17299 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

The lights are finished.

Posted Image

This is arguably (if not objectively) the most worthwhile one. Has hardpoints up the wazoo (imagine 10 SL + 1 ERLL) and high mounts.

Posted Image

It's...unremarkable. Not horrible, but not inspiring by any means. Runs out of critslots a little too fast for my liking.

Posted Image

The nicest way I can put this is that it's a dumpster fire. Having to use SHS is by itself a gigantic flashing red flag. Having low space is fairly undesirable by itself. When you combine both at the same time...you get a dumpster fire. A very sexy looking dumpster fire, but a dumpster fire nevertheless.

#17300 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, the Owens is honestly DOA because of it's locked SHS, courtesy of being an early-era Kurita Omni design. At best, it's going to end up some undergunned nightmare that desperately wishes for more ballistic hardpoints so it can at least spam MG fire, but it only gets two, and that on the -A alone. Not worth adding, as it combines the worst in 3025-era tech with an expensive trash build.

Edited by Brain Cancer, 10 August 2017 - 12:29 PM.

37 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users