#17241 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 August 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

I'd expect the Blood Asp to be quite a bit later, like after the Piranha and then another IS mech, THEN the Blood Asp... but I'm secretly hoping for the Turkina before the Blood Asp just because though.

It might be the Black Lanner in replacement of the Blood Asp due to the over saturation of Clan assaults. But yeah, talk about a Clan medium mech that I could care less about.

#17242 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

I just checked: it looks like that, by December 2018, we will have approximately 100 different chassis and 600+ different variants in this game!

People might complain about the Freemium model, but only that way Battletech fans could see so many mechs translated into (gorgeous) playable 3d models. You have all my respect, PGI.

PS: I love mechs. Keep them coming!

#17243 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 07 August 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

It might be the Black Lanner in replacement of the Blood Asp due to the over saturation of Clan assaults. But yeah, talk about a Clan medium mech that I could care less about.

I was against the Black Lanner at first - the low firepower potential hurts.

After having spent enough time in my Linebacker, Locust, and other (relatively) speedy mechs though...

The Black Lanner is climbing up my wishlist ladder fairly quickly.
Piranha is at the top though, and has been since I started playing MWO. Posted Image

#17244 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

If nothing else, the Black Lanner would be utterly hilarious because it has the same stock speed as a Mist Lynx. With MASC, it's actually faster. Despite being more than twice the mass. PGI would also give it crazy high base agility like the Linebacker and Summoner got, since their formula is based on stock engines (big stock engine usually equals high base agility).

It would basically be one of those "fat light" type of mediums. In this case, the fattest light ever.

The biggest red flag for it is a dependency on arm hardpoints (really wish there were head and RT energy slots). The low space can kinda sorta be dealt with using laser vomit, although the nerfs to the ERSL and SPL will make its CQB ability not as effective as it would've been in an earlier meta.

#17245 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 07 August 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

There are many mechs in MWO that you never piloted in a video game, like: Cataphract, Spider, Highlander, Blackjack, Kintaro, Thunderbolt, Griffin, Wolverine, Firestarter, Banshee, Mist Lynx, Enforcer, Grasshopper, King Crab, Hunchback IIC, Orion IIC, Highlander IIC, Archer, Viper and so on...

Blackjack, Enforcer and Spider were in MPBT 3025.

#17246 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 07 August 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

After having spent enough time in my Linebacker, Locust, and other (relatively) speedy mechs though...

Piranha is at the top though, and has been since I started playing MWO. Posted Image

With the imbalance of multiple weapons hitting the same spot the only real issue is hardpoint starfing - nobody would run that build with erppc and 2 mpl but would rather look after several lighter weapons

#17247 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Good clan mechs in the medium department are few and far in between. Most of the viable, decent clan medium mechs are already in the game. The only thing that the Black Lanner has going for it, is it's significance during the battle of tukayyid, nostalgia, and maybe it's MASC.

Other than that, the mech is going to have some pretty bad hit boxes (unless PGI's modelers decide to be merciful to it for some reason), okay speed, average load outs, and I'm not a very big fan of it's design. It looks like a giant bloated metallic turkey, or a Raven that got fed up with the inner sphere houses and decided to inject itself with harjel steroids and weight train with the big bad clan boys.

#17248 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 07 August 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Blackjack, Enforcer and Spider were in MPBT 3025.

Stalker too, I guess. (and maybe others?)

I wish I played that game...

#17249 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

It would basically be one of those "fat light" type of mediums. In this case, the fattest light ever.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Not necessarily efficient, but fun. And with the HLL providing high firepower for low tonnage, it might not end up being a joke in the field. Actually I believe I could make this work.

There would be better choices, though. And here it is again: the problem of popularity vs performance. The Clans have a few interesting mediums, but none of them could be called popular. Most notable from a performance point of view is perhaps the Vapor Eagle. Though I have to tell you, as a closet fan of the Blood Spirits and fan of mediums I personally would love to see the Crimson Langur.

But again, would you forgo a good Mech and lobby for a bad Mech simply because the bad Mech is more popular? (Nostalgia perhaps is not the adequate term, since I am sure every single Mech has some BattleTech fans who feel nostalgia for them; whereas popularity is really just about how many people like a Mech). ... that is: popular at present. I am sure the Mad Cat MKII was not any popular before MW:4 dropped, neither was the Nightstar before TheArisen started his campaign, neither was the Night Gyr before it came to MWO, etc. This is a highly volatile and manipulable criterion.

I need to stress again I am a BattleTech-fan first. It is as a BT-fan that I resent popularity votes like the Uziel, for it has almost nothing to do with the Civil War; the fact that it is a mediocre Mech at best and does little good in MWO is a secondary concern, but it is a concern. Denying it does not help anyone.

#17250 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Posted Image

If nothing else, the Black Lanner would be utterly hilarious because it has the same stock speed as a Mist Lynx. With MASC, it's actually faster. Despite being more than twice the mass. PGI would also give it crazy high base agility like the Linebacker and Summoner got, since their formula is based on stock engines (big stock engine usually equals high base agility).

The biggest red flag for it is a dependency on arm hardpoints (really wish there were head and RT energy slots). The low space can kinda sorta be dealt with using laser vomit, although the nerfs to the ERSL and SPL will make its CQB ability not as effective as it would've been in an earlier meta.

10 lasers, 2 SRMs and ECM in a very fast mech? Oh, that would be fun!

#17251 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

4 SSRMs in a mech that fast... (or 10 micro pulse lasers + 2SRM4s)

It looks like the Black Lanner will be the greatest terror for light mechs in the game.

#17252 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 07 August 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Good clan mechs in the medium department are few and far in between. Most of the viable, decent clan medium mechs are already in the game. The only thing that the Black Lanner has going for it, is it's significance during the battle of tukayyid, nostalgia, and maybe it's MASC.

Other than that, the mech is going to have some pretty bad hit boxes (unless PGI's modelers decide to be merciful to it for some reason), okay speed, average load outs, and I'm not a very big fan of it's design. It looks like a giant bloated metallic turkey, or a Raven that got fed up with the inner sphere houses and decided to inject itself with harjel steroids and weight train with the big bad clan boys.

You kidding? The mech looks amazing!
(I felt in love with it the first time I opened that Battletech TCG Arsenal booster)
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
About the pod space, I usually go for the heaviest engine in light and medium mechs, anyway...

Edited by Odanan, 08 August 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#17253 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 08 August 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Not necessarily efficient, but fun. And with the HLL providing high firepower for low tonnage, it might not end up being a joke in the field. Actually I believe I could make this work.

There would be better choices, though. And here it is again: the problem of popularity vs performance. The Clans have a few interesting mediums, but none of them could be called popular. Most notable from a performance point of view is perhaps the Vapor Eagle. Though I have to tell you, as a closet fan of the Blood Spirits and fan of mediums I personally would love to see the Crimson Langur.

But again, would you forgo a good Mech and lobby for a bad Mech simply because the bad Mech is more popular? (Nostalgia perhaps is not the adequate term, since I am sure every single Mech has some BattleTech fans who feel nostalgia for them; whereas popularity is really just about how many people like a Mech). ... that is: popular at present. I am sure the Mad Cat MKII was not any popular before MW:4 dropped, neither was the Nightstar before TheArisen started his campaign, neither was the Night Gyr before it came to MWO, etc. This is a highly volatile and manipulable criterion.

I need to stress again I am a BattleTech-fan first. It is as a BT-fan that I resent popularity votes like the Uziel, for it has almost nothing to do with the Civil War; the fact that it is a mediocre Mech at best and does little good in MWO is a secondary concern, but it is a concern. Denying it does not help anyone.

I know the Crimson have even a superb painted miniature in a glasbox in my posession but never looked at the stats.... didn't know that the Crimson was that fast.

When I ignore my hate for Jade Parrots for one moment, i admit i would like to have both. Because the Lanner looks gorgeous, but the Crimson Langur looks good either... and i do hat Parrots....so I will shoot down any "pro Black Lanner" voice.

View PostOdanan, on 08 August 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

you are right - those are beautys.... but arn't they called Harasser?

View PostOdanan, on 08 August 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

10 lasers, 2 SRMs and ECM in a very fast mech? Oh, that would be fun!

the reason why number of hardpoints > weapon load.

in this case the Crimson Langur would not look that good - to few hardpoints.

And even when you dare to ignore my voice....
LEGACY just as a reminder

Edit: have forgotten the Daikyu

Edited by Karl Streiger, 08 August 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#17254 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 August 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

in this case the Crimson Langur would not look that good - to few hardpoints.

Take a look at the other configurations. Posted Image
The -C has 8 energy HP and 1 ballistic; the -E has 9 energy and 2 missile. More than enough.

#17255 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostOdanan, on 08 August 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

You kidding? The mech looks amazing!
(I felt in love with it the first time I opened that Battletech TCG Arsenal booster)
Those are all later art though.
And that looks fine.
The core of it though, its roots is this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17256 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 08 August 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

I wouldn't say the Crimson Langur is a better choice, but it is an alternative, yes. I would take a mech the Black Lanner over the Langur any day.

Posted Image

Besides, Crimson Langur look is too common, is a humanoid (worse face-on damage distribution) and has fewer hardpoints (but good high-mounted ST hardpoints)

Vapor Eagle is a Battlemech, and we know how powerful those are in this game. And it has a very unique design.

View PostOvion, on 08 August 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Those are all later art though.
And that looks fine.
The core of it though, its roots is this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey, don't post here "before the fame" photos.

#17257 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostOvion, on 08 August 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

Zwerg Nase? aka Little Longnose

View PostFLG 01, on 08 August 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Take a look at the other configurations. Posted Image
The -C has 8 energy HP and 1 ballistic; the -E has 9 energy and 2 missile. More than enough.

? as said not common with the Crimson Langur (up to date I had the idea that it is 45t)
Indeed the C would have 2x2 E-Slots in the high mounts above the cockpit...when you combine this with D arms....10 energy 4 missile + ok you won't have JJs in this case (omni jump jets -thats how jump jets should be done from day one)

View PostOdanan, on 08 August 2017 - 06:09 AM, said:

the damage is done

Edited by Karl Streiger, 08 August 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#17258 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 August 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

? as said not common with the Crimson Langur (up to date I had the idea that it is 45t)
Indeed the C would have 2x2 E-Slots in the high mounts above the cockpit...when you combine this with D arms....10 energy 4 missile + ok you won't have JJs in this case (omni jump jets -thats how jump jets should be done from day one)

Yep, I take away my comment about "too few hardpoints". 45 tons? Why did I always thought if was 50 tons. I take away the common remark too.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 August 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

the damage is done

It is.
But not as much as this.

#17259 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

No, Crimson Langur is 50t. Unfortunately that is probably the only medium weight slot in which the Clans are well represented. It's the biggest thing speaking against it. But if you compare the Crimson Langur to the Black Lanner... it has the same speed, minus MASC though, but more pod space. The humanoid geometry comes with advantages and as well disadvantages, but the hardpoint locations are definitely good.

To be honest what I like most are looks and lore. It would not be the best choice for a Clan medium - I still think that's the Vapor Eagle - but it would be good enough.

Edited by FLG 01, 08 August 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#17260 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

So, updating my wishlist. (I lost the source file of my signature, so it won't be updated anymore, I guess)
  • IS light: Wasp, Raptor
  • IS medium: Chimera, Hellspawn, Men Shen
  • IS heavy: Crusader, Excalibur
  • IS assault: Fafnir, Charger, Longbow
  • Clan light: Firemoth (replaceable by Piranha), Fire Falcon, Hellion
  • Clan medium: Black Lanner, Hellhound (MW4 version), Coyotl, Vapor Eagle, Crimson Langur
  • Clan heavy: Rifleman IIC, Black Python
  • Clan assault: Blood Asp, Bane, Warhammer IIC, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Stone Rhino

Edited by Odanan, 08 August 2017 - 06:33 AM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook