#17201 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 August 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Yea, I have heard the stories on what they can and have done.....

I just see the better looking radar...dish? On them

Like I said, I had a front row seat to what they can do... it's not pretty..

Personally I really don't mind the AWACS style RADAR dome on the Rifleman IIC.... if it does get implemented it'd be a nice touch to have it spinning slowly.

#17202 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 04 August 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Personally I really don't mind the AWACS style RADAR dome on the Rifleman IIC.... if it does get implemented it'd be a nice touch to have it spinning slowly.

That hit box though....really wish why they had 3rd party hit boxes for that stuff and like missile racks well outside the mechs normal geometry....Timberwolf, Thunderbold, Griffin looking at your guys!

#17203 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 August 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

That hit box though....really wish why they had 3rd party hit boxes for that stuff and like missile racks well outside the mechs normal geometry....Timberwolf, Thunderbold, Griffin looking at your guys!

Just give that dish the Kodiak claw treatment, it's not a hit box.

#17204 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

So, is there doubt that this is the next IS heavy mech?
Posted Image

#17205 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

I'd rather get this:

Posted Image

#17206 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

So would Harmony Gold, and that's the problem.

#17207 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 04 August 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

So would Harmony Gold, and that's the problem.

I want them to see it and I want them to lose. I'm sick and tired of Macross being held hostage in the west because of those worthless skid marks that pass for humans. All HG actually owns are their version of the Macross story with their versions of the characters. They do not own the mech designs in any way shape or form, about time they got a hard lesson in that.

#17208 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 August 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

This.

It looks like we both will have to wait just a little more for the Rifleman IIC, mister.

Until September of 2018 and for the rest of the unseen unfortunately. That's a long time from now. Unless PGI wanted to do something as a big F U to Harmony Gold and pre-release them before the court hearing. Like I said, I want to hear Russ's official word on this whole fiasco since that will be my determining factor to buy anything in MW:O until then.

View PostCK16, on 04 August 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Eh Rifleman IIC and Glass Spidea as well should loose the stupid radar dome....it's really just horrid...

Should take inspiration from the Soviet/Russian Tunguska and Shilka

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh god no, that would look horrendous on the Rifleman IIC. Also, how dare you make fun of it's epic radar hat. It keeps the elementals dry from the rain that want to hitch a ride on it. Posted Image

View PostMetus regem, on 04 August 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yeah it would be pretty cool. I think it's the internal disc inside of the dome frame that spins if I recall correctly.

#17209 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 04 August 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

I'd rather get this:
*snip*

I don't want THAT. I want a reimaged classic, done by Alex Iglesias that uses unique artwork that doesn't belong to anyone else yet can pull some inspiration from the original incarnations. You know, like what's already been done with the Warhammer, Marauder (IIC), and Archer. Also, it's the whole reason HG can and should get a legal back-handing into the stone-age for their frivolous lawsuit.

However, while I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice, posting images of the old RT designs and saying you want mechs "just like" (they're not even remotely "just like") the RT designs is just giving HG fuel for the fire . . . that they can and WILL use to say "see, even the players of the game think they're the same thing". In fact the threads on these and HBS forums have already appeared in several articles talking about the lawsuit (even if they're horribly referenced).

Don't do it . . . just don't.

#17210 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 August 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

So, is there doubt that this is the next IS heavy mech?
Posted Image

How about the Anvil instead to expand the 60t slot?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anvil

#17211 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostSereglach, on 05 August 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I don't want THAT. I want a reimaged classic, done by Alex Iglesias that uses unique artwork that doesn't belong to anyone else yet can pull some inspiration from the original incarnations. You know, like what's already been done with the Warhammer, Marauder (IIC), and Archer. Also, it's the whole reason HG can and should get a legal back-handing into the stone-age for their frivolous lawsuit.

However, while I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice, posting images of the old RT designs and saying you want mechs "just like" (they're not even remotely "just like") the RT designs is just giving HG fuel for the fire . . . that they can and WILL use to say "see, even the players of the game think they're the same thing". In fact the threads on these and HBS forums have already appeared in several articles talking about the lawsuit (even if they're horribly referenced).

Don't do it . . . just don't.

I'm not a lawyer either and wouldn't know where to begin giving out legal advice for a court case like this, but keep in mind that Harmony Gold does not own the rights to Victor Musical Industries. The reason why so many of the IIC's are listed as 'unseen' was because FASA did not want to take any chances with the overseas artwork from Japan. So we can blame FASA for the long hiatus of the clan 'unseen' IIC mechs, and part of the reason why I believe PGI went with the reseen project phoenix artwork for the MAD-IIC.

More than likely (but unfortunately) the unreleased remainder of the IIC's are going to get the reseen treatment. I would really like it if Alex did a throwback to the classic art, with a mix of unique legal MWO renditions for the remainder of unreleased clan IIC's. See Rick Harris's artwork for the battle of Tukayyid pack as examples. What would even be cooler is if PGI won this court case, they would release a classic IIC reskin pack for the current clan IIC's in the game. I would really pay really good money for that.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 05 August 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#17212 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Re: Argus

The Argus is a Davion-build Dragon, just look at it. Same engine rating, same layout of the armament (big gun and missile launcher plus medium laser back-up). Since the AFFS loves mobility and dakka a Mech like this makes sense for them. It has some interesting variants, like -5D with the MASC and the -6F with the AC/20 in the arm. It is also relatively common in the armies of the FCCW, especially the AFFS...

... which is perhaps something to consider: of the last three IS Mechs, two are decidely FedCom units (and even the Annihilator has a stronger ties to Steiner than to any other house). Not that I personally mind it but the other factions had some interesting developments, too.

Returning to the Argus, it would largly play like a Dragon in MWO, too. It's a better missile boat for sure and it might be a better energy boat, depending on hardpoint inflation. It may be different enough from the Dragon to warrant its inclusion if you deviate enough from the concept of the Argus.

I am not sure though if the 60t IS Mech slot desperately needs to be filled, as this weight is not the best choice. At this point every weight slot in the heavy class is well represented, and there are only two ways to meaningful add to them: either push the envelope by chosing high-performance Mechs like the Dragon Fire, or introduce Mechs with a massive engine (Thanatos actually did that for the 75t Mechs).

... or IS Omnis.

#17213 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

Still waiting/hoping for the Cerberus. Posted Image

#17214 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 August 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

How about the Anvil instead to expand the 60t slot?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anvil
I'd prefer the Argus myself, just for aesthetics.

There's a shortage of decent looking chicken walkers imo, and the Argus is almost a big daddy locust.

#17215 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostOvion, on 06 August 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

I'd prefer the Argus myself, just for aesthetics.

There's a shortage of decent looking chicken walkers imo, and the Argus is almost a big daddy locust.

Oh yeah, Argus is one of the best looking mechs around.
Probably my favorite biped outside of 3025

#17216 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

With the Thanatos preorder up, I have updated these charts:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17217 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

Assuming the next annoucement will be a Clan Mech for December (my money is on the Piranha), the Mech after that will likely an IS Mech and it will be released in 2018. Perhaps that is the year of the IS OmniMech. PGI said IS Omnis are likely to come, just not in 2017.

Although IS Omnis may not be the Mechs-to-end-all-Mechs in terms of meta, they present a genuinely fresh element. And it is not like all are as bad as the Strider or the Avatar. Some are workable (Hauptmann, Templar), some might be good (Black Hawk-KU, Raptor), and some are downright meta (Men Shen).

If it is not an IS Omni, the 85t slot seems to be the best choice, since it has not been updated for ages. (Unfortunately, light Mechs don't seem to sell well, otherwise 20 and 25 tons deserved an update). I wish for the Gunslinger, but I'd guess PGI goes with the more popular Longbow. We really need more LRM assaults, right?

#17218 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

Longbowl and HG better to go Viking - or the Legacy has a great LRM variant as well--- talking about the Legacy - this baern is the best Mech outside omni tech you can get for MWO....3 variants each with a different play style - heavy ballistic, heavy missile, heavy energy - everything in high mounts (would be a premier for IS)

Of course the Daikyu while a heavy would add some more cavalry mechs into the game.

about the stuff below 50tons - yeah Omni Mechs would be great - because I would not buy a IS Omni outside the Celestials and I would not buy a light anymore.

the Pavian would be much better compared to the Piranha

#17219 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostOvion, on 06 August 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

Clans really need that 20 tonner...

BTW, Chimera and Hellspawn are very good bets for IS mediums and Raptor would not only be a great 25 tonner, but a great first IS omnimech.

#17220 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostOdanan, on 07 August 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Clans really need that 20 tonner...

BTW, Chimera and Hellspawn are very good bets for IS mediums and Raptor would not only be a great 25 tonner, but a great first IS omnimech.

Strike Chimera and Hellspawn and go Daimyo, Snake, Huron Warrior, Cobra, BloodHound.... there are dozens of designs when you don't stick to ever again MW4 or 3025s - although 3025 - has some very great 40t Mechs asside from the Assassin (that was imho the worst)

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook