• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Why for the SAKE OF BLAKE WHY?

Really the Thanatos?

Will you ever learn? The guys that played MW4 as childs don't remember anything else but their MW4 toys.
But I only need to look a little bit to the left...the other game with Mech in the title and a 2 instead of a 4 - and I see a IS Heavy that would have been a worthwhile addition for this game.
Yep the Lao Hu.
At least you only need to modify 3 out of 5 Cannon Versions not modify 3 of 4 cannon versions, ignore the 4th and bring 3 own designs - and one of them is obviously breaking the characteristik - to put Gauss Rifles in the torso is a nice move for the game (maybe) although the mount look like its in height with the arms - and there the LGR would have to be fitted.
Why is there nor 6S derivate? Because 6 Improved JumpJets take the same weight and space as 12 STD JumpJets - without XL Gyro you only had to drop it to 10 or 11 (because of C3S)

Please who ever do those variants stop it, who ever decides wich Mechs to come stop it

I fear for the the next two announcements - I bet its the Blood Asp and the Hollander..... considering all those releases in the past there are only a couple that showed some guts.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 04 August 2017 - 12:06 AM.

#17182 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

The Thanatos is a trend of MW4 designs, which co-incidentally get recognized easily and can't be sued away by Harmony Gold. While good, we likely won't see many TRO-only designs for a while until they chew through the Argus, Chimera, and so on.

#17183 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

The joke about MW4 Mechs is - when they were playable in MW4 i thought wow great Mech - makes fun.
Finally i got my hands on the TRO 3067 with all those fancy designs - and they sucked

Really my first idea I had about the Thanatos was - were are the weapons? Same for Argus (although the Rotary was the rescue because would not have been possible with 2 UAC5s and 1 LRM10s)

Same for all the other fancy MW4 Mechs people are asking for (with exception of NovaCat and Blood Asp) - most of those Mechs suck when brought back on the TT level

Ok - maybe with the MWO Mechlab you could have the MW4 level (for non omnis)

The 4T for example might work with a 325 XL + AC20+MRM20+3MPL+4JJs+ECM+4t ammo + ES

hm might become a hobby.... the Hollander II of MW4 MekTek is armed with 1 Gauss and 3 MLAS and 3 Small Laser and have ECM.... its speed makes it equal to a 260-265XL .... okay you need to drop armor and have almost no ammunition

anything else on the list?

Edited by Karl Streiger, 04 August 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#17184 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:16 AM

I guess people have fond memories of the Thanatos because it was the only viable choice for IS heavies in MW4 planetary leagues, at least until the Black Knight addon was released.

#17185 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

Once PGI started adding MW4 mechs, it was obvious the Thanatos would come sooner or later.

Argus will probably come next time PGI wants to add an IS heavy, but I'm not sure about the Chimera and Hellspawn; they were pretty meh and entirely forgettable mechs.

#17186 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:44 AM

I see potential in the Thanatos, kind of reminds me of how the Bushwacker was speculated about, but is a decent performer and has come into its own in some roles for the IS. Plus it's a mech woth large engine cap, ECM, and good ammount of JJ's. As far as weapons placement? The do not seem to be to low slung and are rather online with each other and just barely below cockpit level.

Anyway, I think it's a good addition! Plus now with this and Bushwacker we can finally recreate the MW4 mercs training course xD

#17187 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

View PostZergling, on 04 August 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

Once PGI started adding MW4 mechs, it was obvious the Thanatos would come sooner or later.

Argus will probably come next time PGI wants to add an IS heavy, but I'm not sure about the Chimera and Hellspawn; they were pretty meh and entirely forgettable mechs.

Thanatos was a surprise because of (the lack of) C3.

In light of the recent legal events, I suppose Wasp, Crusader, Longbow, Stone Rhino, Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC and the other Unseen IIC will have to wait a little more.

So it's time for all them MW4 mechs. Argus, Fafnir, Blood Asp, Chimera and Hellspawn (fast, jumpjets and ECM, what's bad about it?) will be added next for sure. And the Piranha (because Clans can't have the Fire Moth).

#17188 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

It is a cavalry Mech, was used by the LAAF, and fits the civil war setting. A good choice from my point of view.

Unfortunately only one variant and the hero have that wonderful engine cap. I don't get it. That does not make sense. All the canon variants of the Thanatos have the 375XL engine. I can see why they'd reduce it on some variants, but on almost all of them? I am also aware most people will go below 375, especially since XL engines are dangerous with that geometry, but what is wrong with having the option? (Not to mention that a number of 375XL engines makes a nice amount of C-bills if one needs it).

Whether or not a Mech comes from MW:4 does not matter to me in the least. I played that game 17 years ago too, big deal, and now I want to play MWO, not MW:4-reloaded. Thus I judge a Mech on its own merits, not where it comes from.
The Thanatos objectively does add something to the game (fast, jumpy, stealthy 75t Mech), so it is alright. On the other hand, there are better Mechs. And I don't think it is sensible to ignore a Mech simply because it was not part of that 17 year old game. Arguably one of the best, if not the best heavy Mech in game was previously TRO-only, the Night Gyr. And the Nightstar will do alright, too, I guess. There is nothing wrong with exploring the world of BattleTech and expanding the horizons.

#17189 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 August 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

In light of the recent legal events, I suppose Wasp, Crusader, Longbow, Stone Rhino, Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC and the other Unseen IIC will have to wait a little more.

So it's time for all them MW4 mechs. Argus, Fafnir, Blood Asp, Chimera and Hellspawn (fast, jumpjets and ECM, what's bad about it?) will be added next for sure. And the Piranha (because Clans can't have the Fire Moth).

why Piranha - why should it be always vanilla for Clans since the Ebon - time for more Clan Lemons. (Because Clan Lemon Driver loves Mr Gargle)

ok at 20tons and with Circus statement and the HG issue there is only the Howler but hey lemon is lemon - of course we can have the LCT-IIC 5t more for twice the size Posted Image

#17190 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 04 August 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

of course we can have the LCT-IIC 5t more for twice the size Posted Image

Locust is one of the mechs is that legal battle, so PGI might want to avoid it too.

#17191 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

Nah Locust a original Phoenix from 2013 its safe

If it is not safe so shouldn't be the Jenner IIC

And to make it even more complicated the IICs (exception of WHM; RFL & MAD) should be safe either.

#17192 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 04 August 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Nah Locust a original Phoenix from 2013 its safe

If it is not safe so shouldn't be the Jenner IIC

And to make it even more complicated the IICs (exception of WHM; RFL & MAD) should be safe either.
And yet, Harmony Gold has included it.
As well as the Atlas.

#17193 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 August 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

It is a cavalry Mech, was used by the LAAF, and fits the civil war setting. A good choice from my point of view.

Unfortunately only one variant and the hero have that wonderful engine cap. I don't get it. That does not make sense. All the canon variants of the Thanatos have the 375XL engine. I can see why they'd reduce it on some variants, but on almost all of them? I am also aware most people will go below 375, especially since XL engines are dangerous with that geometry, but what is wrong with having the option? (Not to mention that a number of 375XL engines makes a nice amount of C-bills if one needs it).

Whether or not a Mech comes from MW:4 does not matter to me in the least. I played that game 17 years ago too, big deal, and now I want to play MWO, not MW:4-reloaded. Thus I judge a Mech on its own merits, not where it comes from.
The Thanatos objectively does add something to the game (fast, jumpy, stealthy 75t Mech), so it is alright. On the other hand, there are better Mechs. And I don't think it is sensible to ignore a Mech simply because it was not part of that 17 year old game. Arguably one of the best, if not the best heavy Mech in game was previously TRO-only, the Night Gyr. And the Nightstar will do alright, too, I guess. There is nothing wrong with exploring the world of BattleTech and expanding the horizons.

Want to see something funny, use the combat trial setting in the mech factory app and send a Thanatos THS-4S against a Hammerhands HMN-5D.... Hammerhands usually kills the Thanatos.

#17194 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 August 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

On the popularity scale from Gas's polls, the Crusader is now the most popular IS heavy while the Rifleman IIC is the most popular clan heavy now. Imo, the Victor Musical Industry designs should be safe as long as Alex goes out of his way with perhaps the assistance of a lawyer to design such mechs. Like you said earlier on a thread, what difference does it make now if they add some of the safer designs like the RFL-IIC vs the ones that are much more comparable to the Macross franchise? The other mechs that are dipping into the unseen territory are now becoming the most wanted for the game.

I fear that the rest of the mechs of this year are going to be all MW4 exclusive, and that PGI is playing it "safe" until after 2018 when this court hearing might get dragged out further. I might go out and raise awareness about this BS on other forums since it will only be more ammo for the future of the Battletech franchise.

I think we need a town hall from PGI on the topic of this matter, and what they have planned for the rest of 2017.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 04 August 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#17195 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 04 August 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

On the popularity scale from Gas's polls, the Crusader is now the most popular IS heavy while the Rifleman IIC is the most popular clan heavy now. Imo, the Victor Musical Industry designs should be safe as long as Alex goes out of his way with perhaps the assistance of a lawyer to design such mechs. Like you said earlier on a thread, what difference does it make now if they add some of the safer designs like the RFL-IIC vs the ones that are much more comparable to the Macross franchise? The other mechs that are dipping into the unseen territory are now becoming the most wanted for the game.

I fear that the rest of the mechs of this year are going to be all MW4 exclusive, and that PGI is playing it "safe" until after 2018 when this court hearing might get dragged out further. I might go out and raise awareness about this BS on other forums since it will only be more ammo for the future of the Battletech franchise.

I think we need a town hall from PGI on the topic of this matter, and what they have planned for the rest of 2017.

This.

It looks like we both will have to wait just a little more for the Rifleman IIC, mister.

Edited by Odanan, 04 August 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#17196 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

Eh Rifleman IIC and Glass Spidea as well should loose the stupid radar dome....it's really just horrid...

Should take inspiration from the Soviet/Russian Tunguska and Shilka

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by CK16, 04 August 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#17197 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 August 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Eh Rifleman IIC and Glass Spidea as well should loose the stupid radar dome....it's really just horrid...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hate those things.... That and I've got a healthy respect for what they can do... been on the receiving end of them...

#17198 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 August 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But the radar dome is the most interesting feature in the Rifleman IIC... besides, it looks like a Vietcong hat - and that's freaking cool.

#17199 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 04 August 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I really hate those things.... That and I've got a healthy respect for what they can do... been on the receiving end of them...

Yea, I have heard the stories on what they can and have done.....

I just see the better looking radar...dish? On them

#17200 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

But the radar dome is the most interesting feature in the Rifleman IIC... besides, it looks like a Vietcong hat - and that's freaking cool.

Still would be horrid for gameplay, plus just imo looks to rediclous. A good real war area to look to is those Russian AAA vehicles. Another would be cold war era Soviet ships masts, always have had a unique mast style.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook