20517 replies to this topic

#17861 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Alex Iglesias nailed the design! This mech will be terrifying in the field.

Can't speak for others, but I am not exactly trembling in fear. It combines the speed and firepower of a light Mech with the size of a 55t Mech. Thus it will be fun to play, I am sure, but "terrifying"... I doubt it.

Edited by FLG 01, 01 November 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#17862 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Alex Iglesias nailed the design!

I actually really dislike this mechs appearance. The source Black Lanner was kind of fascinatingly ugly. This thing is just... there. It looks better, but in a completely boring way.

#17863 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Can't get excited for a 55 ton mech with 11.5 tons of pod space once you correct the armor. Sorry.

Even worse that it cannot be used in scouting mode because of the Clan limitations that are needlessly imposed on us.

It could have been the Savage Coyote. It could have been the Vapor Eagle. It could have been the Stooping Hawk. All of those would have been mechs of value to add. This, however, just doesn't have a niche to fill.

#17864 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

I'm in love with this mech since I opened a Battletech CCG booster, around 1997. Jade Falcon had the greatest artists (Sam Wood and Franz Vohwinkel).

View PostFLG 01, on 01 November 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Can't speak for others, but I am not exactly trembling in fear. It combines the speed and firepower of a light Mech with the size of a 55t Mech. Thus it will be fun to play, I am sure, but "terrifying"... I doubt it.

Imagine you are a light or medium mech (or even some very slow large mech).

#17865 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

I'm in love with this mech since I opened a Battletech CCG booster, around 1997. Jade Falcon had the greatest artists (Sam Wood and Franz Vohwinkel).

Even so.... You're a smaller target, against a larger one. Your firepower is about equal, and it is going to be a lot easier for you to hit the 55 ton target than vice versa. Meh.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 November 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#17866 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

I am happy for you, really. We all have our favourite Mechs, but why the need to exaggerate? I mean the Vapor Eagle - that one is truly "terrifying". The Black Lanner might become a good harasser, I'd agree to such a statement. But I am not afraid of it.

Please take into account that I like to sport the People's Hero tag because I really enjoy playing medium Mechs. I am fully prepared to meet the Lanner in a medium. ...Perhaps I am afraid when piloting an Uziel, but in that case I am afraid of every Mech that can shoot. Posted Image

Again, I am not saying it will be useless. It's not the Uziel (sorry, last joke at its expense). In the right hands it will be an asset to the team. It's just not terrifying.

Edited by FLG 01, 01 November 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#17867 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 01 November 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

I am happy for you, really. We all have our favourite Mechs, but why the need to exaggerate? I mean the Vapor Eagle - that one is truly "terrifying". The Black Lanner might become a good harasser, I'd agree to such a statement. But I am not afraid of it.

Please take into account that I like to sport the People's Hero tag because I really enjoy playing medium Mechs. I am fully prepared to meet the Lanner in a medium. ...Perhaps I am afraid when piloting an Uziel, but in that case I am afraid of every Mech that can shoot. Posted Image

Again, I am not saying it will be useless. It's not the Uziel (sorry, last joke at its expense). In the right hands it will be an asset to the team. It's just not terrifying.

It could be worse. Could be a Viper.

In fact, I wonder. In a fight between a Viper and a Uziel, is there a winner? Or does reality fold upon itself at the impossibility that one might actually succeed?

#17868 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

https://mwomercs.com...um-competition/

Ok, where is my free mech now?

Posted Image

I feel bad for Jay for running this contest, since the answer was so obvious to begin with. Lol.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 01 November 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#17869 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 01 November 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...um-competition/

Ok, where is my free mech now?

Posted Image

I feel bad for Jay for running this contest, since the answer was so obvious to begin with. Lol.

Is he going to give the prize to all people who guessed right or just to the first one? (for his financial health, I hope just for the first one)

And yeah, it was pretty obvious.

#17870 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

I'm extremely surprised that PGI decided to mix things up and have one high arm and one low (ish) arm rather than both high or both low. That high right arm is really gonna help the mech.

#17871 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 November 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

I'm extremely surprised that PGI decided to mix things up and have one high arm and one low (ish) arm rather than both high or both low. That high right arm is really gonna help the mech.

Those arms are pretty recurrent in the Black Lanner illustrations:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17872 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

Those arms are pretty recurrent in the Black Lanner illustrations:

I know, I'm just referring to MWO's tradition of handling things like the Victor or Dragon, which in some renditions have a high right arm but low left arm (MWO makes both low).

#17873 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

Is he going to give the prize to all people who guessed right or just to the first one? (for his financial health, I hope just for the first one)

And yeah, it was pretty obvious.

I think it will have to be a random number generated for the people who voted for it. So, good luck to anyone who voted on it.

#17874 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Whelp, I'm pleased to see it is the Black Lanner. I'm also pleased to see it got C, D and E variants.

All up, it will be able to run 10 energy + 2 missile with ECM. So... 10x ER Small + 2x SRM6 with Artemis anyone?

#17875 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 November 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I know, I'm just referring to MWO's tradition of handling things like the Victor or Dragon, which in some renditions have a high right arm but low left arm (MWO makes both low).

only victor that had a high arm was the LiuBei Whatever with the Long Tom and some fan art, IIRC. Dragon I'll grant though it's whether it had an elbow in the original illustration or not only Loose can answer. Not like there hasn't been a long history of people screwing up Loose's designs (Assassin, Dervish, etc) or FASA jsut not able to keep the fact checks and editing straight (King Crab)

*shrugs*

Dislike the the CT/Cockpit geometry, but otherwise doesn't look too bad. Should have decent hitboxes, and great speed. Not my first choice, and a pity it won't be able to Scout, but should be interesting.

#17876 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostZergling, on 01 November 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Whelp, I'm pleased to see it is the Black Lanner. I'm also pleased to see it got C, D and E variants.

All up, it will be able to run 10 energy + 2 missile with ECM. So... 10x ER Small + 2x SRM6 with Artemis anyone?

With 11.5t of podspace will you be able to have ammo & cool that build?

#17877 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 November 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

With 11.5t of podspace will you be able to have ammo & cool that build?

who bothers with cooling anymore? Isn't it all about maximum alpha, then run and cool off?

#17878 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

who bothers with cooling anymore? Isn't it all about maximum alpha, then run and cool off?

More cooling means you get to alpha a lot faster though. :D

#17879 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

only victor that had a high arm was the LiuBei Whatever with the Long Tom and some fan art, IIRC. Dragon I'll grant though it's whether it had an elbow in the original illustration or not only Loose can answer. Not like there hasn't been a long history of people screwing up Loose's designs (Assassin, Dervish, etc) or FASA jsut not able to keep the fact checks and editing straight (King Crab)

*shrugs*

Dislike the the CT/Cockpit geometry, but otherwise doesn't look too bad. Should have decent hitboxes, and great speed. Not my first choice, and a pity it won't be able to Scout, but should be interesting.

Well, I know the Grand Dragon is depicted with an elbow, so maybe thats what PGI was going for?

#17880 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 01 November 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Well, I know the Grand Dragon is depicted with an elbow, so maybe thats what PGI was going for?

Dragon at different times has been depicted both ways and tbh, while the TRO 3025 version 99% likely had no elbow, with Loose art, I can't call it 100%. But if that was what PGI was going for that makes it's doubly aggravating that PGI seems dead set against actually introducing the Grand Dragon.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users