#18661 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 26 January 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I don't want to redirect the conversation too drastically but I was looking at the Fafnir now and saw just how many ECM assault mechs IS has available. The clan could use a few options like that but the only examples I can think of are the Gargoyle Conal and the Timber Wolf Bounty Hunter (I know it's not an assault, but the IS has an ECM cataphract). The unfortunate issue here is that it would leave those mechs behind a paywall and would require PGI to offer some sort of comparable alternate for those chassis. Does anyone know of any other options to give the clans a comparable option?

The Turkina Alt. Zeta has the Nova CEWS (Combined Electronic Warfare System)... as well as being armed with 4x iATM/12's

Thing is the Clans in TT really looked down on ECM, they saw it as cowardly, so you are going to be hard pressed to find Clan battlemechs / omnis packing it in lore...

#18662 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

I don't want to redirect the conversation too drastically but I was looking at the Fafnir now and saw just how many ECM assault mechs IS has available. The clan could use a few options like that but the only examples I can think of are the Gargoyle Conal and the Timber Wolf Bounty Hunter (I know it's not an assault, but the IS has an ECM cataphract). The unfortunate issue here is that it would leave those mechs behind a paywall and would require PGI to offer some sort of comparable alternate for those chassis. Does anyone know of any other options to give the clans a comparable option?

There are 2 variants of the Blood Asp Posted Image

The Phoenix Hawk IIC has a variant with ECM, but it uses an XXL engine.

The Warhammer IIC has 2 variants with ECM, but both also use an XXL engine.

There's the Pulverizer with the EERPPC I want added, though no other variants exist.

There's the Tomahawk, although I'm not too sure if it's supposed to be available yet.

Those are just the ones I have bookmarked as "WANT!" so there are more. I know there are variants of existing Clan Assault 'mechs with ECM variants, including the Dire Wolf DWF-C.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 26 January 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#18663 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 26 January 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

There's the Tomahawk, although I'm not too sure if it's supposed to be available yet.

It is. It was kind of retroactively added, first mentioned in an FCCW-short story in 2005 (i.e. after the FCCW sourcebooks and TRO:3067). However, retcon or not, it is 3065 Mech, albeit a rare one.
I also reviewed the record sheets, which were published only recently (2013), and it works in MWO without problem. In fact, it looks quite scary.

#18664 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 January 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

The Turkina Alt. Zeta has the Nova CEWS (Combined Electronic Warfare System)... as well as being armed with 4x iATM/12's

Thing is the Clans in TT really looked down on ECM, they saw it as cowardly, so you are going to be hard pressed to find Clan battlemechs / omnis packing it in lore...

Well there is the Black Python which is basically a Battlemech Twolf. Honestly this thing is as scary as anything the Clans could get.
400 engine cap, ECM, JJ and good hardpoints.
http://www.sarna.net...k_Python_(Viper)

#18665 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 January 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Well there is the Black Python which is basically a Battlemech Twolf. Honestly this thing is as scary as anything the Clans could get.
400 engine cap, ECM, JJ and good hardpoints.
http://www.sarna.net...k_Python_(Viper)

I've said it many, many times... the irony of the Second line Battlemechs often being bleeding edge optimised in TT is something that has never been lost on me. That being said, from a logistical stand point, I can understand why they were not the main line units, rather than having to keep parts on hand to repair a few dozen unique units the Clan could keep less parts on hand as they could more easily salvage damaged units to repair others with the omni system.

#18666 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

As an old logistics man (air force) I can only say: true! Ironically it does make a lot of sense that the second line Mech are actually better in MWO than the front line Mechs.

The front line Mechs were designed to be used in important campaigns with logistic concerns in mind. That's the whole point of the OmniMechs. However they are not necessarily better in pure Mech to Mech combat.
The second line Mechs on the other hand were designed to defend rear targets, which did not happen very often, and to allow the warrior a noble death (i.e. taking an enemy with her/him). Therefore they could be optimized for Mech to Mech combat, and logistics could be ignored. Those Mechs were literary designed to make as much damage as possible in a single engagement, and that's it. See the Hunchback IIc...

It even makes sense on a strategic level: if your front line units runs into a defending second line unit which has only one goal, i.e. making as much damage as possible in this one battle and only that one battle, you think twice about hitting this seemingly weak target. You know the damage to your front line unit might be too great compared to the gain of a victory. And you want to avoid attrition.
(Even more ironic, this kind of thinking plays directly into the Clan approach to warfare but makes it vulnerable to IS warfare. IS generals don't care how many of their front line units they have to bleed white; war of attrition is their daily business).

But as MWO ignores logistics too, guess what kind of Mech works better in MWO... Vapor Eagle, Black Python and so on are really dangerous Mechs in the environment of MWO.

#18667 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 January 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

I've said it many, many times... the irony of the Second line Battlemechs often being bleeding edge optimised in TT is something that has never been lost on me. That being said, from a logistical stand point, I can understand why they were not the main line units, rather than having to keep parts on hand to repair a few dozen unique units the Clan could keep less parts on hand as they could more easily salvage damaged units to repair others with the omni system.

That explains why some people get so bent out of shape when certain second line mechs are mentioned on this site.

View PostFLG 01, on 26 January 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

As an old logistics man (air force) I can only say: true! Ironically it does make a lot of sense that the second line Mech are actually better in MWO than the front line Mechs.

The front line Mechs were designed to be used in important campaigns with logistic concerns in mind. That's the whole point of the OmniMechs. However they are not necessarily better in pure Mech to Mech combat.
The second line Mechs on the other hand were designed to defend rear targets, which did not happen very often, and to allow the warrior a noble death (i.e. taking an enemy with her/him). Therefore they could be optimized for Mech to Mech combat, and logistics could be ignored. Those Mechs were literary designed to make as much damage as possible in a single engagement, and that's it. See the Hunchback IIc...

It even makes sense on a strategic level: if your front line units runs into a defending second line unit which has only one goal, i.e. making as much damage as possible in this one battle and only that one battle, you think twice about hitting this seemingly weak target. You know the damage to your front line unit might be too great compared to the gain of a victory. And you want to avoid attrition.
(Even more ironic, this kind of thinking plays directly into the Clan approach to warfare but makes it vulnerable to IS warfare. IS generals don't care how many of their front line units they have to bleed white; war of attrition is their daily business).

But as MWO ignores logistics too, guess what kind of Mech works better in MWO... Vapor Eagle, Black Python and so on are really dangerous Mechs in the environment of MWO.

I think of Clan Omnimechs as a sort of mech swiss army knife. They can be outfitted and swapped with modular parts to fill any combat role required by the Khans (as you already stated).

However, I'm not entirely sure about your statement about all second line mechs that were intentionally designed to defend rear targets is entirely true. While I can see mechs like the Bane and Rifleman IIC exceeding as second line garrison units (for anti-air and long range firepower support/combat), how does one explain the purpose of mechs such as the Stone Rhino and Warhammer IIC? I think more or less that these mechs were designed to be 'the clean up crew' after the front line Clan Omnimechs dished out as much damage possible against the enemy.

I believe that mechs like the Hunchback IIC and Firemoth were designed for an old/disabled mechwarrior for the glory of combat in the service of his/her clan, but what confuses me is when you have second line battlemechs like the Mad Cat Mk.2 that costs nearly the same amount of c-bills of a clan assault Omnimech.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 26 January 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#18668 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 26 January 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

I believe that mechs like the Hunchback IIC and Firemoth were designed for an old/disabled mechwarrior for the glory of combat in the service of his/her clan, but what confuses me is when you have second line battlemechs like the Mad Cat Mk.2 that costs nearly the same amount of c-bills of a clan assault Omnimech.

Hunchback IIC, yes. Firemoth, no. Firemoth is a recon Omni that was originally designed to be a glorified Elemental taxi. As for the overpriced Clan Battlemechs, they are usually Totem Mechs(Like the Kodiak and Kodiak II) or were products of Clan Moneygrab.

Edited by Requiemking, 26 January 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#18669 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 26 January 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

Hunchback IIC, yes. Firemoth, no. Firemoth is a recon Omni that was originally designed to be a glorified Elemental taxi. As for the overpriced Clan Battlemechs, they are usually Totem Mechs(Like the Kodiak and Kodiak II) or were products of Clan Moneygrab.

I remember reading out there somewhere that Firemoths were given to Mechwarriors that were often viewed as disposable (batsh*t insane pilots, older mechwarriors, non-blood named solahma pilots, etc.).

#18670 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 26 January 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

That explains why some people get so bent out of shape when certain second line mechs are mentioned on this site.

I think of Clan Omnimechs as a sort of mech swiss army knife. They can be outfitted and swapped with modular parts to fill any combat role required by the Khans (as you already stated).

However, I'm not entirely sure about your statement about all second line mechs that were intentionally designed to defend rear targets is entirely true. While I can see mechs like the Bane and Rifleman IIC exceeding as second line garrison units (for anti-air and long range firepower support/combat), how does one explain the purpose of mechs such as the Stone Rhino and Warhammer IIC? I think more or less that these mechs were designed to be 'the clean up crew' after the front line Clan Omnimechs dished out as much damage possible against the enemy.

In the case of the Warhammer IIC, it is able to kill or cripple anything larger, just like the IS counter part. It is a serious threat to anything, it's more or less heat neutral and packs an almost absurd amount of fire power in a fast and cheap package.

In the case of the Stone Rhino, well it is an example of taking something flawed like the Matar and fixing it.

As for the Mad Cat Mk. II, it should've been an 85t omni, rather than a 90t inefficient battle mech.... did you know at 85t it would actually have 1t free for equipment/armour over the 90t version...

#18671 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 26 January 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

I remember reading out there somewhere that Firemoths were given to Mechwarriors that were often viewed as disposable (batsh*t insane pilots, older mechwarriors, non-blood named solahma pilots, etc.).

Well, according to Sarna, due to the nature of the Firemoth's intended mission, it was often assigned to older, non-bloodnamed pilots before they reached Solahma units. Also, that H config is, to put it simply, terrifying. 9 Heavy Smalls on a 20 ton Omni running at 162 KPH? Thats gonna hurt, no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Requiemking, 26 January 2018 - 10:58 PM.

#18672 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:42 AM

Why no Stingers or Wasps?

#18673 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:53 AM

Your point stands, I just wanted to add that the ECM Cataphract is oh so bad...at least with me at the controls.

#18674 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:11 AM

View PostSamial, on 27 January 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Why no Stingers or Wasps?

Legal issues currently.... on top of Lights not selling well.

#18675 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

In 4 days...
Posted Image

#18676 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

Rather see any of the following:

Stinger
Wasp
Valkyrie
Crusader
Charger
Longbow
Axeman
Hatchet man
Berzerker
Penateator
Pilliger
Gunslinger
Cerberus
Hamato family
No datchi
Enfield
Champion
Clint
Witworth
Merlin
Mercury
Flee
Coyotl
Lupus
Woodsmen
Kingfisher

#18677 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Well, as a Steiner-loyalist (though not necessarily a Katherine-loyalist... but not for Victor either... oh, that's complicated...)... anyway, my personal wishlist is very much filled with IS units.

But that's just my personal taste. And I think it makes sense to seperate the IS and Clan wishlists since they don't seem to compete with each other. PGU seems to have a list for the Clans and a list for the IS, and they make sure the Mechs for both are released on a roughly equal basis.

Looking at the Clan Mechs only, I don't think the Blood Asp is what they need the most. The Clan assault selection is fine, with the exception of a good 80t Mech (Warhammer IIC!).
But then, PGI is obviously not very concerned about needs other than their own financial needs - which is ok, they need to make money. Also, the Blood Asp is Russ's favourite iirc, a fan favourite, and should sell well. I am however, very much indifferent.

Edited by FLG 01, 28 January 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#18678 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

In terms of what the Clans need, I think they need a lot more non-Omni units in the light, medium, and heavy classes. Assaults are meanwhile stupidly bloated with Battlemechs relative to the other Clan weight classes.

#18679 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostFupDup, on 28 January 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

In terms of what the Clans need, I think they need a lot more non-Omni units in the light, medium, and heavy classes. Assaults are meanwhile stupidly bloated with Battlemechs relative to the other Clan weight classes.

Of course, we're about to get a terribly overengined 55-tonner with the Black Lanner. On the other hand, the Stormcrow is once again in it's Scouting place, and we also just got the incredibly roleplay-oriented Piranha as well.

I'd still like to see some more traditional Battlemechs like you do, though. My best successes have been with robots like the Orion IIC or Supernova, and Clan assault Battlemechs have often been resounding successes compared to the Omnis...so more in the lower weight classes is good to me. The Rifleman IIC looks deadly.

#18680 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Well, considering that this is their resource to determine the next mech and Matt pretty much already unveiled it will be an iconic clan mech...

We won't get another light or medium as we just got the Piranha and will get the BLanner next month. The heavy bracket is so dominated by the Rifleman IIC and yet we can't have it due to friggin HG being all jerky about it.

Assaults is pretty much guaranteed to be the Blood Asp. It is an iconic mech, it's THE iconic mech for heavy lasers, it's a MC2 mech and fits the timeline perfectly. Warhammer IIC has the same legal issues as the Rifleman IIC. Stone Rhino... meh... could be, but I would be seriously disappointed... would be another glorified translation of a bad mech in TT (I mean, just look at the negative quirks on that thing... oversized, poor performance, weak head armor).

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook