ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 October 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Oh? Kind of nerd rage - ;) but thats nice - that means i can save the money for buying Double Heatsinks :ph34r:

However - I don't give much about the old Record Sheets - the LB 10-X, the ER-Large Laser and the Gauss are a perfect example how borked FASA nomics were at this time.
I always thought that the missiles for the thunderbolt have to sit at the oposite shoulder.

Although they repeat that mistake even with the Reseens. :blink:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbolt
9 NAIS and 10SE versions

that is because the stance FASA took, when trying to clean up most of their bad editor work of the early 90s, was that the Record Sheet was always canon over the art, because the record sheet is what people had played tournaments off of. So, the reseen art followed the direction of the record sheet, and even on the reseen images for the 5S and it´s direct progeny, swapped the visual image of the cockpit and the missiles.

What it doesn't really cover, their retconning, is the fluff in TRO: PP, where it specifically describes the Phoenix version as swapping the side the cockpit was on.

Then again, sloppy adherence to their own fluff IS truly in line with classic FASA battltetech, so we can just blame that on Comstar.. cough... Word of Blake intentionally trying to obscure the truth.

#5462 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Then again, sloppy adherence to their own fluff IS truly in line with classic FASA battltetech, so we can just blame that on Comstar.. cough... Word of Blake intentionally trying to obscure the truth.

Corrected that for you?
If word of blake would have tried to hide something they wouldn't have failed.

#5463 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

actually, the reference was to the point that it was always the Word of Blake element within ComStar, that was behind these things, even through the Jihad and Dark Age, WoB managed to keep a cabal nestled within ComStar. And let´s be honest, from the Toyama Primacy to the justifiable execution assassination of Waterly, Comstar WAS the Word of Blake, just not directly by name.

#5464 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't know about you, but for me the BT lore ends in 3060.
The rest of the history I simply prefer to ignore.

#5465 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostOdanan, on 15 October 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Agree 100%. The Dark Ages intrigued me but the execution was craptastic at best......

#5466 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Basically this.

It's not that everything after 3060 was bad...but it went downhill so fast.

#5467 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

eh; I sorta start having memory lapses after about 3048. Fiction was good until 3067, gameplay, not so much. Must say, the Jihad COULD provide some awesome fiction though, shame Dark Age largely fell flat with that.

#5468 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

eh; I sorta start having memory lapses after about 3048. Fiction was good until 3067, gameplay, not so much. Must say, the Jihad COULD provide some awesome fiction though, shame Dark Age largely fell flat with that.

The newer ages simply lack the novels and writers to sell you on them.

Yes, you have those amazing new toys, new conflicts, endless new possibilities, new possibly interesting characters and new twists to the old ones... but you need a good book to sell you on it.

Imagine if Clan Invasion didn't have all those novels about Clan culture and IS heroic struggles against them. It would all come down to filler X bad guys owns all your bases and there is Y state that does something against it, yadda, yadda and OP Clan toys. It was already bad enough from the game design perspective, but it was fun to play as the super awesome warriors or be the one doing everything in his power to win over a superior foe (we Cappies and the IS guys who didn't desert for them shiny C toys aren't that different, after all...). Try to recreate all the great encounters you've read about. Create RPG characters that were a part of it one way or the other, et cetera.

#5469 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Would have been nice to have more backstory leading up to the Dark Age.

#5470 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

I like the Dark Age the best. The characters and storylines are simply more...intriguing along with the general lack of Mary Sues that plagued earlier BT literature. The literature isn't as action oriented as the pre Jihad period, but the best you can call it is Star Wars Episode 1 meets Game of Thrones, full of assasination, conspiracy and mystery. It's definitely darker in tone like Caleb Davion's **** of Danai Centrella Liao. The Paladins, Knights and Ghost Knights of the Republic of the Sphere are just awesome, and the RoTS is the most defined society in the Battletech universe after the Clans. The strange disappearance of Devlin Stone was never solved as well as who took down the Comstar network.

Edited by Anjian, 15 October 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#5471 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

I'm really having fun in the BattleMaster!

#5472 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

I am loving the Thunderbolt TDR-5S. I have been running a semi-stock design and getting some of my highest damage numbers. Tops my CAT-C1 although I miss the JJs. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8f968fa05e14a8c for those who want to try it. ;)

#5473 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostAnjian, on 15 October 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I like the Dark Age the best. The characters and storylines are simply more...intriguing along with the general lack of Mary Sues that plagued earlier BT literature. The literature isn't as action oriented as the pre Jihad period, but the best you can call it is Star Wars Episode 1 meets Game of Thrones, full of assasination, conspiracy and mystery. It's definitely darker in tone like Caleb Davion's **** of Danai Centrella Liao. The Paladins, Knights and Ghost Knights of the Republic of the Sphere are just awesome, and the RoTS is the most defined society in the Battletech universe after the Clans. The strange disappearance of Devlin Stone was never solved as well as who took down the Comstar network.

Not to mention we got back Chesterton Commonality from the FedRATS and lots of cool toys to play with! *FM3145 spoilers*

WE may have it good for now but next few years would be interesting when the fortress comes down...

#5474 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 15 October 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

I am loving the Thunderbolt TDR-5S. I have been running a semi-stock design and getting some of my highest damage numbers. Tops my CAT-C1 although I miss the JJs. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8f968fa05e14a8c for those who want to try it. B)

Yep. The Thunderbolt is wonderful. Running it semi-stock myself. Just added AMS, switched the SRM-2 for a Streak SRM 2 and then gave it Endo Steel and Double Sinks. Otherwise it's a basic 'Bolt, and I love it!

#5475 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 15 October 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I'm really having fun in the BattleMaster!

True B) it´s a real beast!

although it would be nice if they took that sexy cockpit and build a ZEUS around it and my life would be complete :wacko:

#5476 Lucifer Sunsoar

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

Tweaked the battlemaster and finding it a really nice ride! Double heat sinks made a heck of a difference! Anyone have some interesting builds? Swapped my ppc for erppc, maxed the armor, endo steel and it's a lot of fun.

#5477 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostAnjian, on 15 October 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

The strange disappearance of Devlin Stone was never solved...

Actually, it was. He did as he said, he froze himself and told the guys they can awaken him once the Republic needs him.

#5478 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostAdridos, on 16 October 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

Actually, it was. He did as he said, he froze himself and told the guys they can awaken him once the Republic needs him.

and he is currently again leading the RotS

#5479 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostAdridos, on 16 October 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

#5480 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

So....ATTENTION Battletech-Lore-Pros:

i´m in need of some clarification :D
someday, someone made a topic somewhere and pointed out which mech ( currently in game ) is used by which house or even exclusively by which house.

to be short:
is it true, that there is still no house-exclusive mech in game for Steiner?? but every other house is served well? ( kind of )

that would frustrate me even more, since the Zeus is yet to be seen on the battlefield :ph34r:

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook