BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#901 CodeNameValtus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I still would like to see the Rifleman announced:

Pros: One of the most versatile long-range support mechs in the game. Definitely timeline appropriate and common in IS.
Cons: Was specifically designed for anti-aircraft, as such, it's long-range direct fire support against mechs is quite heat positive (As it needs the time that aircraft loop around for another pass to cool itself).

Ultimately, I would most like to see a Kodiak announced for the clan invasion. It would be my most favorite all time mech. As a long time Clan Ghost Bear player in the TT. I've definitely put some Kodiak's through the ringer. Something about a massive mech making use of armor/speed (for a 100 tonner), and a UAC/20 to blast holes in someone. And having a large array of other options for fighting at nearly any range. This mech is an absolute beast in close. If one makes it up to your lines fairly fresh, it can take out multiple mechs with ease. As it simply is built to withstand punishment and completely outclass anything up close with it's arsenal. It does suffer from being a 'slow' assault mech, taking a while to get itself into position, but once it's there...it brawls better than anyone!

#902 yaay

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

rifleman. An anti-air mech in a game with no current plans to add any aircraft whatsoever, that is also unseen. So, all in all, we have a comparatively useless second line mech that is also a legal liability, whose support role will probably be adopted by the similarly designed jagermech anyway.

Really.

Edited by yaay, 09 November 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#903 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm betting Orion for the next mech.

It would have plenty of variants along with a hero mech:

See it here.

#904 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 09 November 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

I'm betting Orion for the next mech.

It would have plenty of variants along with a hero mech:

See it here.

I wonder if the Kerensky Orion is a custom mech... Wait, it is.

Cool!

(But Snub-Nose PPC? We will have this tech back only in 3067)

Kerensky's Orion for Hero Mech! (I would buy it for sure)

#905 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 November 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

I wonder if the Kerensky Orion is a custom mech... Wait, it is.

Cool!

(But Snub-Nose PPC? We will have this tech back only in 3067)

Kerensky's Orion for Hero Mech! (I would buy it for sure)

I would definately buy the Kerensky Orion Hero Mech!

Here is some cool artwork of the Orion...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 09 November 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#906 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 09 November 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

That's a nice image! And it could be the Kerensky's Orion (look the Star League insignia).

To one in the bottom is cool too, well, except for the "ant" antenna and the deformed hand.

#907 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

The B&W image kind of makes the Orion look like an Alien (from the movie Alien).

#908 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostBelorion, on 11 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

The B&W image kind of makes the Orion look like an Alien (from the movie Alien).

It's the head.

This one looks like an Alien too. (an extremely bad-*** alien, BTW)

Posted Image

And one more art for the Pillager (this one is by Alex Iglesias himself).

Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 11 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#909 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

the pillager would actually be an interesting assault mech to add because unlike every assault mech which PGI has announced for now, it has no missile variants. only ballistics and energy.

#910 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostVincent Lynch, on 11 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

the pillager would actually be an interesting assault mech to add because unlike every assault mech which PGI has announced for now, it has no missile variants. only ballistics and energy.

But only 2 usable variants, not the required 3.

;)

#911 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Except for the Highlander, I'm very happy with the mech roster in MWO*.

I suppose the Assault class will be:

- Awesome (80 tons)
- Zeus (80 tons)
- Stalker (85 tons)
- Highlander (90 tons)
- Atlas (100 tons)

What I would choose:

- Awesome (80 tons)
- Victor (80 tons)
- Stalker (85 tons)
- Cyclops (90 tons)
- Atlas (100 tons)

Forgetting the fantastic art, the Highlander is very uncommon, with variants too similar (and only one variant really time-wise) and has similar weapons, same speed and same role of the Atlas (though more agile, thanks to the jump and hardpoint disposition). It's simply not the best addition at this stage of the game. The Cyclops, on the other hand, is much more common, faster, and with a wide range of variants (including the delicious dual gauss CP-11-B ).

*well, I'm not happy with the Spider either, but I suppose the devs will give it some hardpoint love (and there aren't actually many other light options, besides the Firestarter - which is the same tonnage of the Jenner and Raven).

Edited by Odanan, 16 November 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#912 Cole Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Friends,

I really do not care what mech comes next (well a little maybe)...

...what I want is that they have a meaning and that it actually makes sense in GETTING THEM.

Example: Awesome in todays game. Exept a handfull diehards, no one is playing the Awesome anymore. And thanks a lot for that, each time you have one in team...he is being mirrored by an Atlas. Yes...we can discuss if an Awesome against an Atlas is doable...it is, but not for most players and even then, they need a little luck.

So, before putting in new Mechs...PLEASE...make it so that an assault has a chance against another assault. The only difference now is the price in the Lab, but once you have an own Atlas...and got time to tweek it...NO OTHER ASSAULT stands a fair chance, exept another atlas.

So...if actualy an Atlasplayer says "ohh ohhhh" when he sees an Awesome coming his way, and that Awesomeplayer says "ohh ohhh" when spotting the Atlas...then yes, give us more mechs.

Right now, you have only 1 saying "ohh ohhhhh" -> the awesome pilot.

#913 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostCole Allard, on 16 November 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Friends,

...what I want is that they have a meaning and that it actually makes sense in GETTING THEM.

Example: Awesome in todays game. Exept a handfull diehards, no one is playing the Awesome anymore. And thanks a lot for that, each time you have one in team...he is being mirrored by an Atlas. Yes...we can discuss if an Awesome against an Atlas is doable...it is, but not for most players and even then, they need a little luck.

So, before putting in new Mechs...PLEASE...make it so that an assault has a chance against another assault. The only difference now is the price in the Lab, but once you have an own Atlas...and got time to tweek it...NO OTHER ASSAULT stands a fair chance, exept another atlas.

So...if actualy an Atlasplayer says "ohh ohhhh" when he sees an Awesome coming his way, and that Awesomeplayer says "ohh ohhh" when spotting the Atlas...then yes, give us more mechs.

The effectiveness of a mech can be fixed by minor tunning in the stats: hit boxes (specially the head), turning speed, torso mobility, etc. Personally, I think the Awesome has much more firepower than the Atlas - it's just easier to kill.

#914 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostCole Allard, on 16 November 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Friends,

When we get more assault mechs Awesomes will become more common. Think about it, when it was just the Jenner and the Commando all you saw were Jenners. Now with the Raven I see a nice mix. It's the same thing with Mediums and it will be the same with Heavies.

Jenner or Commando? Jenner wins.
Jenner, Commando and Raven? Toss up.

Hunchback or Centurion? Hunchback wins.
Hunchback, Centurion and Cicada? Toss up.

Catapult or Dragon? Catapult wins.
Catapult, Dragon or Cataphract? Toss up.

Atlas or Awesome? Atlas wins.
Atlas, Awesome or Stalker? Toss up.

Now some are clearly more regular then others. Part of this is due to the general popularity of the chassis (Atlas, Catapult, Hunchback, Jenner). But as they add more mech and people get a chance to use them we will see less and less stockpiling one chassis. I expect when we get the 4th mechs (Spider, Trebuchet, Jagermech and Highlander) it will be exceedingly rare to have a team comprised of the first most popular 4.

#915 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostButane9000, on 17 November 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

When we get more assault mechs Awesomes will become more common. Think about it, when it was just the Jenner and the Commando all you saw were Jenners. Now with the Raven I see a nice mix. It's the same thing with Mediums and it will be the same with Heavies.

Jenner or Commando? Jenner wins.
Jenner, Commando and Raven? Toss up.

Hunchback, Centurion and Cicada? Toss up.

Catapult, Dragon or Cataphract? Toss up.

Atlas or Awesome? Atlas wins.
Atlas, Awesome or Stalker? Toss up.

Now some are clearly more regular then others. Part of this is due to the general popularity of the chassis (Atlas, Catapult, Hunchback, Jenner). But as they add more mech and people get a chance to use them we will see less and less stockpiling one chassis. I expect when we get the 4th mechs (Spider, Trebuchet, Jagermech and Highlander) it will be exceedingly rare to have a team comprised of the first most popular 4.

There are still the founder's mechs. Atlas, Jenner, Hunchback and Jenner will be the most played mechs for a long time (at least until new hero mechs appear).

#916 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm hoping the Banshee eventually makes an appearance. Common given the time frame with a bunch of variants.

#917 Kai Lae

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

It's not like I get a vote, but these are the next mech's I'd like to see. I'm very much hoping that when factional warfare hits that mechs are regional and not available everywhere, so as to add faction flavor.

Orion - no self respecting member of the FWLM would not be seen in one at one time or another. Plus, it's just a very good overall mech. Please add solid shot for the LBX while your are at it.

Vindicator - This is the standard capellan medium. As the cataphract is to heavy mechs for the capellans, the vindi is the same thing for them for mediums. Plus it's not that bad either.

Zeus - You can't have a steiner scout lance without zeuses. Enough said.

Also, gentelmen, it's come to my attention that many aren't aware of a quite valuable internet resource - www.solaris7.com. Sarna is great for general information, but solaris has EVERY TRO online. Which means not only can you see what the mech variants are armed with, you can see exactly where the weapons are placed, how much armor they come with - everything. Which of course is because it's right out of the TRO. I encourage you all to have a look at it.

Oh, and psst. Whomever asked for the rifleman - you are aware that the vindi has as much armor as a rifleman? Just saying.

#918 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostButane9000, on 17 November 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yea, this isn't exactly true. For us, it comes down to available hardpoints (and base engine speed,) but we've got more Centurions then Hunchbacks, and as many Dragons as Catapults. They're just as good, people just like going for the "OMG CHEESE" or see what everyone else is doing on the forums and just goes with that.

You're right though, as more 'mechs are released you'll see more designs being fielded. However, it's good to point out that generally the heaviest 'mech of a weight category is seen as superior because of it being the heaviest you can get before tipping over into the next weight class. You're going to see a TON of Cataphracts come tuesday (and I'm no exception, but it's a good as I'm going to get without an Orion being in game,) but it doesn't invalidate the Catapult or Dragon being just as good....it's just the "new" 'mech and it'll level off over the weeks like the others did.

Orion needs to be in cause it's my favorite Battlemech and you can have a hero 'mech added to it later.

#919 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 09 November 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is a nice drawing. The Orion would be my ride in the heavy class. A useful and solid mech with good loadouts, but a Black Knight would be nice, too. Let's hope, that we see one of these mechs.

Posted Image

#920 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostKai Lae, on 17 November 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

It's not like I get a vote, but these are the next mech's I'd like to see. I'm very much hoping that when factional warfare hits that mechs are regional and not available everywhere, so as to add faction flavor. Orion - no self respecting member of the FWLM would not be seen in one at one time or another. Plus, it's just a very good overall mech. Please add solid shot for the LBX while your are at it. Vindicator - This is the standard capellan medium. As the cataphract is to heavy mechs for the capellans, the vindi is the same thing for them for mediums. Plus it's not that bad either. Zeus - You can't have a steiner scout lance without zeuses. Enough said. Also, gentelmen, it's come to my attention that many aren't aware of a quite valuable internet resource - www.solaris7.com. Sarna is great for general information, but solaris has EVERY TRO online. Which means not only can you see what the mech variants are armed with, you can see exactly where the weapons are placed, how much armor they come with - everything. Which of course is because it's right out of the TRO. I encourage you all to have a look at it. Oh, and psst. Whomever asked for the rifleman - you are aware that the vindi has as much armor as a rifleman? Just saying.

I like this site too. It's very complete and easy to navigate.

View PostThe Birdeater, on 18 November 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

This is a nice drawing. The Orion would be my ride in the heavy class. A useful and solid mech with good loadouts, but a Black Knight would be nice, too. Let's hope, that we see one of these mechs. Posted Image

While a Black Knight by Alex Iglesias would look fantastic, it's no good for MWO. All (few) variants have the same energy hardpoints and if you like energy boats (PGI doesn't), use the Awesome (only 5 tons heavier).

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users