20517 replies to this topic

#5321 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostShazarad, on 02 October 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Panther goes extremely slow for a light. It would be a larger Commando-1D.

But screw comparing mechs to other mechs to see if theyre "worthy" of being in the game. Just put them in! I will play them and many others will too, because it not always about trying to make mechs better than the last best mech.

He has a good point. Alot of people simply want to play with 'Mechs they remember from the good old days of BattleTech.

#5322 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostRick Bassman, on 02 October 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I find it interesting Bishop, that you have such a strong argument against the Wolfy and not the Panther (you could pretty much make the same argument as you did with the Wolfy but compare it to a heavier Commando) or the King Crab (exclusive to ComStar right now in the lore) or the Zeus (which is comparable to the Victor but more focused on range). Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of love for the Firestarter. Take out the flamers and load her up with mls and you have yourself a mech murdering monster. The Wolfy should have a couple variants available, if they could give us the rear firing ml an in the future i.e. next summer, they could release the Phelan Kell hero variant, Grinner. But you're correct, it would be a little early to put the Wolfy into the game. As much as I'd love to see the Urbie, I'm pretty sure dashboard bobble is the best we could see of it in this game given the current meta for lights to be fast and maneuverable.

View PostRick Bassman, on 02 October 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I find it interesting Bishop, that you have such a strong argument against the Wolfy and not the Panther (you could pretty much make the same argument as you did with the Wolfy but compare it to a heavier Commando) or the King Crab (exclusive to ComStar right now in the lore) or the Zeus (which is comparable to the Victor but more focused on range). Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of love for the Firestarter. Take out the flamers and load her up with mls and you have yourself a mech murdering monster. The Wolfy should have a couple variants available, if they could give us the rear firing ml an in the future i.e. next summer, they could release the Phelan Kell hero variant, Grinner. But you're correct, it would be a little early to put the Wolfy into the game. As much as I'd love to see the Urbie, I'm pretty sure dashboard bobble is the best we could see of it in this game given the current meta for lights to be fast and maneuverable.

Well firstly, none of those were specifically mentioned (well, the Zeus. Didn't feel like attacking EVERY Mech on the list.)
Second there will never be rear facing weapons in this game, Cryengine simply cannot handle it (at least without MASSIVE recoding and resource hogging). And Grinner was bone stock, until it was Clan updated.

I certainly can't argue FOR a Panther in the current implementation. With sized Hardpoints, I think it could work. In the current open customization, the Panther is woefully outclassed too, as is my beloved Urbie. The thing is, there are a number of mechs I would LOVE to see ingame. But with the current game design, simply would not work. Panther. Vindicator. The Enforcer. Hatchetman.

All iconic faction mechs. None of which are particularly good for the game, sadly. The Zeus actuallyvhas potential, but it would simply be a Non jumping Victor, aka, a big Orion. So my arguments aren't about what I want in game, but what actually has a chance to be worth a darn, instead.

#5323 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 October 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

The thing is, there are a number of mechs I would LOVE to see ingame. But with the current game design, simply would not work. Panther. Vindicator. The Enforcer. Hatchetman.

Uh the Enforcer most certainly would work. A fully articulated ballistic jumper is not possible on any other medium chassis(The Wolverine-6R only has one arm with weapon hardpoints). It would simply be a mini-Victor in the manner the Blackjack is a mini-Jager. The lack of the third variant is holding back the Enforcer not the hardpoints. The three variants would obviously be the 4R, 5D and 6M(3062).

Edited by Spheroid, 02 October 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#5324 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Here is the first look at the Locust which was tweeted by Russ...

https://twitter.com/...6614144/photo/1
Posted Image

#5325 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

#5326 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 October 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

and that is why amateurs should not paint minis. ;)
Hey now there watch it!

I see that funky arm and I see all the spare parts I had lying around when I was a mini enthusiast. Put a hatchet on that other arm!

I see that bad paint and I remember that I used spray paint for my camo. I used Jackson Pollack camo.

Bring on the fugly mini pics!!!

#5327 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

Banshee,Posted ImagePosted Image

#5328 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 October 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Here is the first look at the Locust which was tweeted by Russ...

https://twitter.com/...6614144/photo/1
Posted Image

Betcha those thick legs will be the first thing to give

#5329 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostB3RZ3RK3R, on 03 October 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Specially with the small size of the entire torso.

#5330 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostB3RZ3RK3R, on 03 October 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

wuts rong wit mah legs?
Posted Image
don't u think ah'm sexy?

#5331 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

:D

#5332 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 October 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Well firstly, none of those were specifically mentioned (well, the Zeus. Didn't feel like attacking EVERY Mech on the list.)
Second there will never be rear facing weapons in this game, Cryengine simply cannot handle it (at least without MASSIVE recoding and resource hogging). And Grinner was bone stock, until it was Clan updated.

I certainly can't argue FOR a Panther in the current implementation. With sized Hardpoints, I think it could work. In the current open customization, the Panther is woefully outclassed too, as is my beloved Urbie. The thing is, there are a number of mechs I would LOVE to see ingame. But with the current game design, simply would not work. Panther. Vindicator. The Enforcer. Hatchetman.

All iconic faction mechs. None of which are particularly good for the game, sadly. The Zeus actuallyvhas potential, but it would simply be a Non jumping Victor, aka, a big Orion. So my arguments aren't about what I want in game, but what actually has a chance to be worth a darn, instead.

Yeah sadly what you say is true. Would like iconic mechs, but they wouldnt add much to gameplay and would confuse people not familiar with fluff. They'd ask, why is this mech even here? To some, an Enforcer looks really bland and boring.

#5333 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

are there any mechs which add anything new to gameplay AND are part of the current timeline?

i can guess the answer :D

#5334 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostEns, on 04 October 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

are there any mechs which add anything new to gameplay AND are part of the current timeline?

i can guess the answer :D

The addition of the COM-1C Commando variant would add another Light 'Mech with ballistic hardpoints.

The addition of the Javelin (with its JVN-10N variant, JVN-10F ("Fire Javelin") variant, and JVN-10P variant) would add a Light 'Mech where the majority of its variants are pure missile boats (that is, without energy or ballistic hardpoints).

The restoration of the CN9-AH Centurion variant would add a Medium 'Mech that is completely without energy weapons.

The addition of the VTR-9A1 Victor variant would add an Assault 'Mech that can mount up to three of any ballistic weapon (including triple-Gauss and triple-AC/20), while also retaining the ability to jump.
The related VTR-9A Victor variant can only mount two of any ballistic weapon (including dual-Gauss and dual-AC/20), and also retain its jump capability.

The addition of the Banshee would add the only 3+ variant, timeline-appropriate 95-tonner produced in the Inner Sphere, and has a number of variants that would have... interesting... hardpoint layouts/restrictions.

The addition of the King Crab (with its KGC-000 variant, KGC-010 variant, and KGC-0000 variant) could add the only other three-variant, timeline-appropriate 100-tonner produced in the Inner Sphere that isn't the Marauder II (Macross-based Unseen) or the Annihilator (may/should be faction-exclusive to the Wolf's Dragoons).

Pretty much everything else is either unique because of notable would-be Hero 'Mechs (such as the HTM-27T (Daniel) for the Hatamoto-Chi; the "Daniel" variant (belonging to Daniel Sorenson, the CO of Sorenson's Sabres) mounts twin LB 10-Xs and twon SRM-4 launchers), or is desirable because "it is iconic" (as with the Zeus), or is desirable due to aesthetics (as with the Hussar, versus the Spider).

#5335 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

like i thought.....nothing new :D
just expanded possibilities.
so it's time to bring more iconic mechs to the battlefield!

#5336 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 October 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

The addition of the COM-1C Commando variant would add another Light 'Mech with ballistic hardpoints.

The restoration of the CN9-AH Centurion variant would add a Medium 'Mech that is completely without energy weapons.

The addition of the VTR-9A1 Victor variant would add an Assault 'Mech that can mount up to three of any ballistic weapon (including triple-Gauss and triple-AC/20), while also retaining the ability to jump.
The related VTR-9A Victor variant can only mount two of any ballistic weapon (including dual-Gauss and dual-AC/20), and also retain its jump capability.

The addition of the Banshee would add the only 3+ variant, timeline-appropriate 95-tonner produced in the Inner Sphere, and has a number of variants that would have... interesting... hardpoint layouts/restrictions.

This, this, this and this.

Those variants are essential and I would mention this missing ones:
- the Hunchback HBK-4N, a variant with ballistics (1), energy (5) and missiles (2);
- the original Grand Dragon, DRG-1G (which was the most successful Dragon variant);
- the Atlas AS7-S, a monster with two extra SSRM2s (could have 1 less ballistics and 1 less module for balance).

Other most-have unique mechs:
- Lancelot - super fast heavy mech, with one jumping and one dual ballistics variant;
- Firestarter - an extremely common (and forgotten by the video games) light mech with lots of weapons and variants;
- Banshee - (yes, I will put it here again) a very important mech for the Lyrans, the unique 95 tonner, very viable with hardpoint inflation (even the BNC-3Q would be a beast with 6 ballistics in a torso) and with a fearsome variant (BNC-3S) that could brawl the Atlas.

#5337 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

BNC-3S Posted Image

#5338 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

#5339 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

The addition of the Javelin (with its JVN-10N variant, JVN-10F ("Fire Javelin") variant, and JVN-10P variant) would add a Light 'Mech where the majority of its variants are pure missile boats (that is, without energy or ballistic hardpoints).

The addition of the King Crab (with its KGC-000 variant, KGC-010 variant, and KGC-0000 variant) could add the only other three-variant, timeline-appropriate 100-tonner produced in the Inner Sphere that isn't the Marauder II (Macross-based Unseen) or the Annihilator (may/should be faction-exclusive to the Wolf's Dragoons).

Pretty much everything else is either unique because of notable would-be Hero 'Mechs (such as the HTM-27T (Daniel) for the Hatamoto-Chi; the "Daniel" variant (belonging to Daniel Sorenson, the CO of Sorenson's Sabres) mounts twin LB 10-Xs and twon SRM-4 launchers), or is desirable because "it is iconic" (as with the Zeus), or is desirable due to aesthetics (as with the Hussar, versus the Spider).

View PostOdanan, on 04 October 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

This, this, this and this.

Those variants are essential and I would mention this missing ones:
- the Hunchback HBK-4N, a variant with ballistics (1), energy (5) and missiles (2);
- the original Grand Dragon, DRG-1G (which was the most successful Dragon variant);
- the Atlas AS7-S, a monster with two extra SSRM2s (could have 1 less ballistics and 1 less module for balance).

Other most-have unique mechs:
- Lancelot - super fast heavy mech, with one jumping and one dual ballistics variant;
- Firestarter - an extremely common (and forgotten by the video games) light mech with lots of weapons and variants;
- Banshee - (yes, I will put it here again) a very important mech for the Lyrans, the unique 95 tonner, very viable with hardpoint inflation (even the BNC-3Q would be a beast with 6 ballistics in a torso) and with a fearsome variant (BNC-3S) that could brawl the Atlas.

I think I know what my next Ask the Devs question is.

#5340 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostButane9000, on 04 October 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I think I know what my next Ask the Devs question is.

Mine is...

Why delay the announcement of the Cyclops any longer? :(

Posted Image

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users