BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#5361 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Won't get another 'mech announcement until April. Unless it's a Clan Pack announcement, the Phoenix 'mechs are it.

October 'Mech: Locust
November 'Mech: Shadow Hawk
December 'Mech: Thunderbolt
January 'Mech: Battlemaster
February 'Mech: Wolverine
March 'Mech: Griffin
April 'Mech: Cylon er Cyclops, Mercury, or Mongoose!

This is the release timeline for those who aren't Phoenix pack owners.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 October 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#5362 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have a feeling too that they are going to release all the past design hero mechs over the next few months. Spider, Jenner, Raven, Blackjack, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Quickdraw, and Catapult. It is a little more than we have months but I bet that we see heroes for them.

Edit: I wonder what the Hunchback and Catapults models will be; should be interesting especially for the Cat.

Edited by FireSlade, 07 October 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#5363 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostOdanan, on 07 October 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

It beats the alternatives, but really needs content (more maps and game modes). The new map is very good, but not enough to make me resume playing.

PS: MW2:M is the best in the MW series. If it was possible to remake it with the MWO graphics, hardpoint and combat systems,it would be the best game ever.

And that is the point. WITH the MWO Graphic, mechanics, hardpoints, etc. While not always done in a way seemingly logical (or even sane), it does, finally, after a lot of migraines have one of the best back-sides since J-Lo.

Does it need more tweaking? Yeah, but minor stuff.

MGs are actually pretty good, despite their goofy mechanic, I "get" what they were trying for, which was to give each weapon group a distinct feel. A little higher Internal DPS, and I think they would be perfect.

NARC is actually VERY useful for situational team builds. I have been the harbinger of LRMageddon 2.0 thanks to my NARC'd X5. Plant it in the kidneys of an opposing mech and scoot. Half the time they don't even know what is happening. And then for 30 seconds, let the rest of your lance just rain. I dropped NARCS like candy on Tourmaline, and had the 3 LRM60s in the lance bring the pain. 3 glorious waves of 180 LRMs in before the NARC got destroyed (dude finally turned around to run. Before, the Narc was on his back, the LRMs hitting his front), That said, I think, buff the hit points, and increase beacon by 15 seconds. That said, don't want it too good, because yes, being able to "TAG" without maintaining LoS is pretty dang handy.

IMO, Flamers and LPLasers are the only two that are in BAD need of fixes still. Thing is, IS LPLasers were {Scrap} in TT. Their pathetic range was never worth the heat and weight. Clan Lpl were great. IS? {Scrap}.

And yes, beyond that, playable content needs massive buffs, as well as an overall story arc to give it sometype of body.

#5364 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostOdanan, on 07 October 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Since these factors, I can't say I'm a MWO's fan:

- The Cooland Flush scandal;
- Consumables (I don't care about a module usable only once per battle, but paying for it over and over is offensive);
- ECM: the most OP piece of 1.5 tons (yes, it is still too good for the weight);
- The stubborn reluctance (or incapacity) of balancing some weapons (MGs, Flamers, LBX too bad; NARC useless; etc.) and chassis (Awesome and others);
- Ghost Heat;
- 3rd Person View: which WE NEVER WANTED;
- PR disaster after the 3PV fiasco;
- Gauss WTF?
- the prospect of "fixing" the Clans.

I'm still a fan of the art department (specially Alex Iglesias art) but this game is completely spinning out of control.

EDIT:

In short, I'm very disappointed with the PGI's inability to hear feedback and their recent defensive position (we, the core players, became the enemy).

MWO's for me is like that cheating hot ex-girlfriend. You might take a "ride" for the good old days, but you are looking to marry someone else.

MWO has come along way since closed beta. The great thing about this game is free-to-play, which means content will be continually added to make this game bigger and better. Imagine what this game will look like 2 years from now.

#5365 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

After listening to Bryan talk about Wolf Dragoons in the recent Community Warfare reveal, I was thinking how epic it would be if PGI launched a new project when they add the Wolf Dragoon mercenary unit to the game...

Project Wolf Dragoons
New Hero BattleMechs: Flea, Hoplite, Imp, Annihilator

Posted Image

#5366 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Unfortunately with how ballistics are at the moment imagine 4 AC10s or 3 or more AC20s. I imagine that the Annihilator will be very OP.

#5367 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 07 October 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

MWO has come along way since closed beta. The great thing about this game is free-to-play, which means content will be continually added to make this game bigger and better. Imagine what this game will look like 2 years from now.

The only problem is that, in 2 years I'll already be entrenched in Star Citizen or another game.

Not trying to bring the thread down but, just like Odanan, MW:O's lost a lot of it's luster for me.

I still want to see awesome 'mech concept arts though!

View PostMaverick01, on 07 October 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

After listening to Bryan talk about Wolf Dragoons in the recent Community Warfare reveal

Wait, did I miss something?

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 October 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#5368 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

The only problem is that, in 2 years I'll already be entrenched in Star Citizen or another game.

Not trying to bring the thread down but, just like Odanan, MW:O's lost a lot of it's luster for me.

I still want to see awesome 'mech concept arts though!

Wait, did I miss something?

apparently, yes. The Launch commentary and the CW MErcs reveal in announcements.

#5369 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I saw the Community Warfare - Association but don't remember seeing anything about Wolf's Dragoons.

#5370 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 07 October 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

I saw the Community Warfare - Association but don't remember seeing anything about Wolf's Dragoons.

he mentioned them several times. An example being to unlock membership in the Dragoons you need to obtain max loyalty in all 5 main houses, etc.

#5371 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 October 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

he mentioned them several times. An example being to unlock membership in the Dragoons you need to obtain max loyalty in all 5 main houses, etc.

Which I hope was just a drunken mistake, I mean way to break immersion, I can't even picture you not under a Steiner flag.

There must be a more elegant way to grind the unlock then being a continuous house jumper. ;)

#5372 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

I don't have trouble jumping factions. Jeez, I would probably fight less my comrades Free Worlders fighting for another house.

#5373 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostAmsro, on 08 October 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Which I hope was just a drunken mistake, I mean way to break immersion, I can't even picture you not under a Steiner flag.

There must be a more elegant way to grind the unlock then being a continuous house jumper. ;)

Remember dude, he is talking about Mercs. I may be a Steiner loyalist, but I am also a Mercenary, so I go where the contract takes me, though as a Merc I have the freedom to say no to ones that bother me. Those fighting specifically for House Factions will have a different "life tree" to follow. After all, how would a House Army loyalist become a member of a Merc corp like Wolfs Dragoons in the first place, if he only fought for the flag of his fathers? I would imagine that your loyalty stuff would unlock memership to units like the Sword of Light or Genyosha or Otami, etc. Davions would likely be unlocking the Davion Guards, Steiners into Skye Jagers and Lyran Guards, and Liaos into Warrior Houses or Death Commandos.

As for Mariks? They spend all their time fighting each other anyhow, so I don't see the issue, there.

Also, think about with the Dragoons how they initially made their name, by working fo 5 years each for each of the Great Houses in succession. (Except Steiner, because our intel support sucked so bad they took an early out. Just one reason I am actually an ardent Davionist, despite my name)

#5374 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 07 October 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

After listening to Bryan talk about Wolf Dragoons in the recent Community Warfare reveal, I was thinking how epic it would be if PGI launched a new project when they add the Wolf Dragoon mercenary unit to the game...

Project Wolf Dragoons
New Hero BattleMechs: Flea, Hoplite, Imp, Annihilator

Posted Image

Wolf Dragoons getting 2 assaults? Out of coolness factor I'd go with the imp but I believe the majority of the community would want the annihilator.

Given the Master Unit list of mechs for the wolfs Dragoons using unannounced chassis I'd go with:

Firestarter, Hoplite, Grasshopper, Annihilator

#5375 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostButane9000, on 08 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Wolf Dragoons getting 2 assaults? Out of coolness factor I'd go with the imp but I believe the majority of the community would want the annihilator.

Given the Master Unit list of mechs for the wolfs Dragoons using unannounced chassis I'd go with:

Firestarter, Hoplite, Grasshopper, Annihilator

but the Hoplite is just..... bad. I'm sure Alex could do something to salvage the art, but the mech itself is just bad in every conceivable way. In fact, aside from a handful of Assaults, pretty much ALL o fth eDragoon 3025 exclusive mechs and their upgrades are just bad.

I like the thought of the Imp though.
Posted Image
(still gotta finish this guy)

And then they can add a "Zeta Battalion" reinforcement package with the Annihilator and Shogun (unless they have a Marauder II ready)
Posted Image

#5376 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 October 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

As for Mariks? They spend all their time fighting each other anyhow, so I don't see the issue, there.

LOL

#5377 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

If MW:O sticks around until then (and while the devs do happen to cause more issues than one would like to see, I've seen way bad devs survive for longer), you'll definitely not abandon it completely. As long as there are big stompy BTech robots to shoot, the game will always have a reserved space on the PC. Uniqueness gives some games ridiculous life-spans (MW4, anyone?).

Plus, chances are that by then, SC will face some issues with the bar it's said it's going to achieve. No matter how much anyone from backers through devs to even simple onlookers like myself wish otherwise (since, it's now essentially a dream-game with every single feature you ever wished for being promised... who doesn't like those except for people who aren't designing, but actually working their ***** off to build it? ;)).

#5378 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 07 October 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

I don't think it has come very far at all. No new weapons, one extremely crappy alternate game mode and a few maps. If you project the rate of progress into the future it is not promising.

#5379 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

unless one looks at the core of the game, the mechanics, stability, etc, which are all miles ahead where they were when Open Beta started. Content? Comes with time on any F2P. If your back end is utter garbage, the content doesn't matter. It took them some time, but the back end is pretty dang solid now.

That said, Ui 2.0 could drop tomorrow, the CW could exceed all expectations and the Clans arrive next week and still 75% + of forum posts would be complaining.

#5380 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 October 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I don't think it has come very far at all. No new weapons, one extremely crappy alternate game mode and a few maps. If you project the rate of progress into the future it is not promising.

They have the chance to give new life to the game with the Community Warfare (if done right) and to kill it with the Clans (if done wrong). I must say I'm not very optimistic with the Clans, tough... ;)

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users