20517 replies to this topic

#16521 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Here is a little breakdown of the Heros, as far as I can identify them:

Nova Cat: Nova Cats, Xi Galaxy formed from Cloud Cobra bondsmen. Their paintscheme is described several times: "Garish colors had been slapped on haphazardly and rows of glyphs had been painted down the sides of its legs. The thought of every 'Mech in Xi Provisional Galaxy painted in this same manner was revolting." (Path of Glory), or: "neon colors and ancient glyph symbols that can be very distracting" (FM:CS). I do not know the pilot though.

Nightstar: Wolf Dragoons, Delta Regiment (dusty gray), likely Shelly Brubaker.

Arctic Wolf: Wolves in Exile, Omega Galaxy (steel finish with bronze accents).

Osiris: no idea.

I must say I would have preferred Tancred Sandoval for the Nightstar since he had a notable part in the FCCW and this is a, well, FCCW Mech pack. (And his Robinso Rangers have a nice paintscheme, too!)

Edited by FLG 01, 04 June 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#16522 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 May 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Atlas though was never a true Brawler, even if that is what MWO converted it to. Also unlike the KDK, various Atlases have INSANE levels of Armor/Structure.

The classic Atlas was literally a collection of the short-range weapons of 3025 with a barely-capable LRM-20 launcher added as an afterthought so it'd be able to shoot something past 270 meters. And near maximum armor, with the purpose of smashing through things, planting your 100-ton boot in the enemy robots for good measure.

MWO took it even further by yanking the LRM in most builds and mounting even more SRMs for the classic assault tank.

#16523 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 January 2017 - 04:20 AM, said:

See, PGI is now "married" with the Mechwarrior franchise. When the MW5 crew finish their game, they will need to do something else.

I hope MW5 will be good enough to justify that.

#16524 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 June 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Here is a little breakdown of the Heros, as far as I can identify them:

Nova Cat: Nova Cats, Xi Galaxy formed from Cloud Cobra bondsmen. Their paintscheme is described several times: "Garish colors had been slapped on haphazardly and rows of glyphs had been painted down the sides of its legs. The thought of every 'Mech in Xi Provisional Galaxy painted in this same manner was revolting." (Path of Glory), or: "neon colors and ancient glyph symbols that can be very distracting" (FM:CS). I do not know the pilot though.

Nightstar: Wolf Dragoons, Delta Regiment (dusty gray), likely Shelly Brubaker.

Arctic Wolf: Wolves in Exile, Omega Galaxy (steel finish with bronze accents).

Osiris: no idea.

I must say I would have preferred Tancred Sandoval for the Nightstar since he had a notable part in the FCCW and this is a, well, FCCW Mech pack. (And his Robinso Rangers have a nice paintscheme, too!)

According to the faq the NSR hero is indeed based on Shelly Brubaker
https://mwomercs.com...08#entry5770608

As for Tancred, well he loses it but it would have been cool to have a Davion hero.

#16525 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 04 June 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

According to the faq the NSR hero is indeed based on Shelly Brubaker
https://mwomercs.com...08#entry5770608

As for Tancred, well he loses it but it would have been cool to have a Davion hero.

Well, good that my feeble knowledge on Dragoon lore did not fail me...

Anyway, bad choice. I mean I don't really care for from what faction a hero is. Davion, Steiner, ComStar, Wolf in Exile... But they are going to bring us the FCCW, not the Jihad or the Dragoon Civil War. And they release the Mech of one of the most important personalities of the FCCW, so obviously he should be the number one choice, regardless of his faction. (Technically they all fight for one Steiner-Davion or the other anyway... well, most do).
Had it not been for the FCCW setting, I would not mind Brubaker much. I would not like it either, but it would be ok. However in a FCCW setting, it should have been Sandoval.

(For those who are not yet 100% familiar with FCCW lore: Tancred Sandoval was heir to the Draconis March and Victor Steiner-Davion's most important ally in the Federated Suns-part of the FedCom during the Civil War. On the Allied side he is number three after Victor and Morgan Kell. He is an A-lister of BattleTech, featured in most important novels.)

And I know that he piloted stock NSR-9J. So did half of the heroes we have in game. That is no problem for PGI.

But then, this little problem does not overshadow the excellent choice of the Mech itself. And I will paint it white anyway (ComStar and Arcturan Guards, respectively). Posted Image

Edited by FLG 01, 04 June 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#16526 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Tancred also piloted a Templar, though. It baffles me that we didn't get the Templar and Fafnir in the first Civil War pack. Now that the Nightstar is scratched off the list of mechs I want, my list is as follows:

Inner Sphere
Falconer
Templar
Longbow
Sagittaire
Viking
Fafnir

Clans
Black Lanner
Glass Spider
Blood Kite
Deimos
Savage Coyote
Blood Asp
Bane/Kraken

#16527 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 04 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Tancred also piloted a Templar, though. It baffles me that we didn't get the Templar and Fafnir in the first Civil War pack. Now that the Nightstar is scratched off the list of mechs I want, my list is as follows:

Inner Sphere
Falconer
Templar
Longbow
Sagittaire
Viking
Fafnir

Clans
Black Lanner
Glass Spider
Blood Kite
Deimos
Savage Coyote
Blood Asp
Bane/Kraken

The poll started after the Civil War pack announcement and there were many polls on the Mad Cat MK II and the Uziel dating all the way back in 2012!

Edited by Imperius, 04 June 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#16528 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 04 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Tancred also piloted a Templar, though. It baffles me that we didn't get the Templar and Fafnir in the first Civil War pack.

I have no idea why we did not get them. These two should have been the first.
Sandoval got its Templar from Ardan Sortek after his Nightstar was destroyed during the Battle of New Avalon. That was near the end of the war.

View PostImperius, on 04 June 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

The poll started after the Civil War pack announcement and there were many polls on the Mad Cat MK II and the Uziel dating all the way back in 2012!

I remember a poll just before we knew anything about the FCCW-timejump. It had totally erratic options, some from the Clan Invasion era (which was all we knew back then), some from later eras, and there was no rationale to those choices. Inexplicably, the Fafnir e.g. was excluded. I am pretty sure it could have won that poll.
It won the poll that was made after we knew about the FCCW.

Anyway, the Mad Cat MKII is a logical choice for a FCCW scenario because it was rather common in that era; Davion units used it quite regularly e.g. So there is no problem
Uziel and Annihilator however are different beasts. They were utterly insignificant during the FCCW and absolutely fail to represent the conflict. (The fact that they promise mediocre performance is not exactly helping either...).

This is another reason why I am more happy about the Escalation-pack. It actually includes IS units which had a notable role in the FCCW. The Nightstar e.g. was produced for the Loyalists by NST, and for the Allies by GM, thus found in the ranks for both. And, as said, its most famous pilot had a pivotal role in the FCCW.

Edited by FLG 01, 04 June 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#16529 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

So...Civil War 3!
I perdict....
IS
-Heavy
-Heavy/Assault

Clan
-Light
-Heavy/Assault

#16530 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I doubt we will see another IS assault soon (sadly so), since two of them are released in a row. I would love to be wrong, but there are some very good heavies waiting. There are fan favourites like Crusader or Thanatos, meta beasts like Falconer or Dragon Fire, cavalry Mechs like Excalibur or Flashman, and OmniMechs like Black Hawk KU (good) or Avatar (very bad).

To be honest, I would not mind two IS heavies next, one meta-unit and one nostalgia-pick.

#16531 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 June 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

Uziel and Annihilator however are different beasts. They were utterly insignificant during the FCCW and absolutely fail to represent the conflict.

That's not really fair to the Uziel. Lyran regiments didn't want it because it came from the Defiance Furillo plant and Davion regiments couldn't support it because of the long supply lines. Not only that, but it didn't go into general production until 3065, two years before the end of the Civil War.

#16532 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 June 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

I have no idea why we did not get them. These two should have been the first.
Sandoval got its Templar from Ardan Sortek after his Nightstar was destroyed during the Battle of New Avalon. That was near the end of the war.

I remember a poll just before we knew anything about the FCCW-timejump. It had totally erratic options, some from the Clan Invasion era (which was all we knew back then), some from later eras, and there was no rationale to those choices. Inexplicably, the Fafnir e.g. was excluded. I am pretty sure it could have won that poll.
It won the poll that was made after we knew about the FCCW.

Anyway, the Mad Cat MKII is a logical choice for a FCCW scenario because it was rather common in that era; Davion units used it quite regularly e.g. So there is no problem
Uziel and Annihilator however are different beasts. They were utterly insignificant during the FCCW and absolutely fail to represent the conflict. (The fact that they promise mediocre performance is not exactly helping either...).

This is another reason why I am more happy about the Escalation-pack. It actually includes IS units which had a notable role in the FCCW. The Nightstar e.g. was produced for the Loyalists by NST, and for the Allies by GM, thus found in the ranks for both. And, as said, its most famous pilot had a pivotal role in the FCCW.

I'm not going off canon just what people have been asking for for a long time. It's summer the way you keep people playing games in the summer is try to offer what they can't refuse Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 04 June 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#16533 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostImperius, on 04 June 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

I'm not really mad about the Mad Cat MkII or Uziel, both of those mechs were on my want list. That said, if you want to show off the new tech, there aren't better mechs than the Fafnir and Templar. The Fafnir is a mech designed around a pair of HGRs and the Templar is both THE IS Omni and the most notable platform for the LGRs.

In the same vein, the Blood Asp is a mech designed around Heavy Lasers and ATMs, although as an Omni that doesn't mean a whole lot.

EDIT: The Longbow, Fafnir, Templar, and Blood Asp are mechs I'd throw money at the screen for. I passed on the first Civil War pack because, while I liked two of the mechs in it, I just wasn't that excited for them.

Edited by Fyrwulf, 04 June 2017 - 08:49 PM.

#16534 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 04 June 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

I'm not really mad about the Mad Cat MkII or Uziel, both of those mechs were on my want list. That said, if you want to show off the new tech, there aren't better mechs than the Fafnir and Templar. The Fafnir is a mech designed around a pair of HGRs and the Templar is both THE IS Omni and the most notable platform for the LGRs.

In the same vein, the Blood Asp is a mech designed around Heavy Lasers and ATMs, although as an Omni that doesn't mean a whole lot.

I wanted the Fafnir too check the poll lol you can see my votes. I voted for the Owens too and we got that. I agree with you and I'm sure they are on Civil War 3 pack Posted Image At the same time there really was no Fafnir threads and The Arisen worked hard to sway people to get the mech in the game. So I'm glad he got it. I even told him I would support the mech after the Fafnir, but PGI gave it to him and I have no issues with it.

Still kinda sad no Blood Asp though... It's even Paul Inouye favorite mech. He must not have the pull that we think he does. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (Don't delete my **** Paul :P ) Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 04 June 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#16535 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 04 June 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

That's not really fair to the Uziel. Lyran regiments didn't want it because it came from the Defiance Furillo plant and Davion regiments couldn't support it because of the long supply lines. Not only that, but it didn't go into general production until 3065, two years before the end of the Civil War.

Fair or not, the Uziel was a rare sight during the FCCW. We have many, many RATs revealing typical force compositions, and even the RATs in FM:U (set just after the FCCW ended, 3067) do not list the Uziel.
It became more important later on, but again: we are not dealing with a Jihad-update. This is the FCCW and the Uziel is a very poor representative of this conflict.

#16536 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 June 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

Fair or not, the Uziel was a rare sight during the FCCW. We have many, many RATs revealing typical force compositions, and even the RATs in FM:U (set just after the FCCW ended, 3067) do not list the Uziel.
It became more important later on, but again: we are not dealing with a Jihad-update. This is the FCCW and the Uziel is a very poor representative of this conflict.

Not trying to argue with you here.

I think it sucks PGI doesn't seem to care about lore.
I also think it's great PGI listens to the community and brings in mechs we beg for from time to time.

MW5 mercs im pretty much already screwed unless I mod the game and put in my Mad Cat MK II or they release it as DLC like I suggested. Wait for my big write up. My idea is to have MWO feed mechs into MW5 as DLC packs and you get a discount or for free (possibly depending on level of pack bought) if you've already bought the Mech Pack. Then after its all added MWO would pretty much be completely ported over to Unreal Engine 4. Drop the camos though...way to much work unless it's an easy port.

#16537 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 June 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

So...Civil War 3!
I perdict....
IS
-Heavy
-Heavy/Assault

Clan
-Light
-Heavy/Assault

Let's see the other MW4 mechs:

- Chimera (IS, 40 tons. Pros: iconic MW4 look; was in MW:LL. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant)
- Hellspawn (IS, 45 tons. Pros: Great basic variant. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant)
- Argus (IS, 60 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage, unique looks. Cons: only 2 doable canon variants)
- Thanatos (IS, 75 tons. No doable variant - all have C3)
- Templar (IS, 85 tons, omni. Pros: Looks good, it's one of the few good IS omnimechs, great selection of omnipods. Cons: dangerous XL engine locked, no omni tech for IS in the game yet)
- Longbow (IS, 85 tons. Pros: one of the old Battletech unseens. Cons: assault missile platform)
- Fafnir (IS, 100 tons. Pros: iconic MW4 mech. Cons: vulnerable profile, only 2 doable canon variants)
- Hauptmann (IS, 95 tons, omni. Pros: good selection of variants. Cons: very slow locked speed)

- Hellhound (Clan, 50 tons. Pros: iconic looks. Cons: the iconic look form MW4 is completely different of the Battletech lore)
- Black Lanner (Clan, 55 tons, omni. Pros: can look very good, plenty of good variants, very fast, ECM + MASC, was in MW:LL. Cons: not much room for non-laser weapons)
- Canis (Clan, 80 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage and hardpoint locations. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant, not a well know mech)
- Blood Asp (Clan, 90 tons, omni. Pros: iconic looks, was in MW:LL; the meta mech. Cons: none?)

Mechs from MW3:

- Firefly (IS, 30 tons. Pros: lots of variants, ECM. Cons: didn't carry on to MW4; would be too similar to the Osiris?)
- Owens (IS, 35 tons, omni. Has locked single heat sinks)
- Strider (IS, 40 tons, omni. Has locked single heat sinks)
- Champion (IS, 60 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage, unique looks, lots of variants. Cons: a name that will bring confusion in MWO; somewhat similar to the Dragon; didn't carry on to MW4)
- Avatar (IS, 70 tons, omni. Pros: many variants, was in MW4 and MW:LL. Cons: a little too slow and vulnerable with the locked XL engine)
- Sunder (IS, 90 tons, omni. Pros: many variants, was in MW4. Cons: locked big XL engine, very vulnerable profile)

From MW2 and MW2:M:

- Fire Moth (Clan, 20 tons, omni. Pros: super iconic Clan mech that fills a gap - 20 tons - the Clans don't have yet. Insanely fast. Cons: technical problems to bring a so fast mech to the game)
- Rifleman IIC (Clan, 65 tons. Pros: fills a role the Clans don't have optimized yet - sniper with very high mounts. Cons: IICs are not as charming as new designs)
- Warhammer IIC (Clan, 80 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage. Cons: one more Clan assault and less charming than new designs)
- Stone Rhino (Clan, 100 tons. Pros: iconic looks. Cons: one more Clan assault mech)

And some other Battletech classics:

- Wasp (IS, 20 tons. Pros: in lore, the most common mech in IS; has dozens of canon variants; is one of the most iconic unseens; it's a good alternative for the Locust. Cons: PGI just released an IS light mech)
- Stinger (IS, 20 tons. Can be replaced by the Wasp in looks and role)
- Crusader (IS, 65 tons. Pros: many variants; armed to the teeth; one of the most iconic unseens. Cons: humanoid in a rather crowded 65 tons weight bracket)
- Charger (IS, 80 tons. Pros: variants for all flavors. Cons: bad reputation due to some poor stock variants)

- Bane (Clan, 100 tons. Pros: interesting profile; the definitive ballistic boat. Cons: one more Clan assault mech; never featured in any computer game)

And some new classics/favorites, according with the recent poll:

- Hollander II (IS, 45 tons. Pros: was in MechCommander 1 and 2, in a MW4 mechpack and MW:LL. More work space than the Hollander light mech. Cons: a Hunchback with 5 fewer tons)
- Men Shen (IS, 55 tons, omni. Pros: was in MechCommander 2; best IS omnimech in ages; good variants; can look like a beefed Raven. Cons: it's an IS omni, so PGI will have to implement some changes in the MechLab)

The mechs I think PGI should/will bring next:

- IS: Chimera, Argus and Fafnir (safer MW4 goodies); Men Shen and Templar (if biting the IS omni bullet); Wasp, Crusader and Longbow (for the old school BT fans).
- Clan: Blood Asp (for the meta); Black Lanner or Hellhound (for the newer fans); Fire Moth, Rifleman IIC and Stone Rhino (for the nostalgic).

Edited by Odanan, 06 June 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#16538 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:13 AM

Pretty confident the Fafnir and the Blood Asp are in the next pack.

#16539 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

They can always do something with the C3 to make it function in some form in MWO

#16540 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostCK16, on 05 June 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

They can always do something with the C3 to make it function in some form in MWO
The only way that is happening is if PGI removed automatic target sharing and bound it to C3.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users