#17961 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostOdanan, on 15 November 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

The Black Lanner is a quite popular mech in MW:LL (like the next Clan assault mech, the Blood Asp) and is also one of the mechs added by Mektek to MW4:M.

I've thought the majority of the popularity for the Black Lanner was due to the fact it was one of the original clan invasion mechs. So more or less, people wanted it in the game largely for this reason. I saw models of it for MW:4 but wasn't really sure if it was an official add on mech for the game. Already knew it was in MW:LL, but so are a number of MW:4 mechs in that mod.

#17962 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

I think the Black Lanner is a solid choice. It will undoubtedly receive a wave of complaints for its low tonnage available for weapons, but for those who actually take the time to learn how to use the speed as a strength, much like successful Linebacker and Gargoyle pilots, will surely love this mech.

View PostArnold The Governator, on 15 November 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

I've thought the majority of the popularity for the Black Lanner was due to the fact it was one of the original clan invasion mechs. So more or less, people wanted it in the game largely for this reason. I saw models of it for MW:4 but wasn't really sure if it was an official add on mech for the game. Already knew it was in MW:LL, but so are a number of MW:4 mechs in that mod.

I can vouch that some of the excitement could be traced to the Battletech Card Game. There was some very nice artwork there and I have to say that I'm surprised that it's taken so long to get here. That being said, I am also surprised we don't have the Phantom, Pouncer, or Grendel yet either.

#17963 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 16 November 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I think the Black Lanner is a solid choice. It will undoubtedly receive a wave of complaints for its low tonnage available for weapons, but for those who actually take the time to learn how to use the speed as a strength, much like successful Linebacker and Gargoyle pilots, will surely love this mech.

I can vouch that some of the excitement could be traced to the Battletech Card Game. There was some very nice artwork there and I have to say that I'm surprised that it's taken so long to get here. That being said, I am also surprised we don't have the Phantom, Pouncer, or Grendel yet either.

Adding the Pouncer would basically give us the Adder pack triple-threat, right? I like my Adders, and Cougars are on my c-Bill shopping list. That'd be cool.

I know it's an off-beat choice, but I'd love to play the Horned Owl. A 35-ton humanoid ClanTech Battlemech? Yes please. Every other one is some sort of horizontal-torso design. It could be a monstrosity, sure. It has spammy hardpoints config for lasers, missiles, or MGs. Even with a Firestarter-style engine cap, it'd still be plenty fast enough.

It would also have an uncommon rounded-off look. I'd love to see how Alex integrated it's look into his style given that this would have a different look from the usual MWO rugged war machine.
http://www.sarna.net..._Owl_(Peregrine)

Sure, I'd love the 'Moth, Fire Falcon, LCT-IIC or COM-IIC, or a lot of other ideas folks have (I'd like the GRF-IIC, too if anybody cares).

But for a ClanTech light? Horned Owl please. I don't care if it makes me kinda hipster for wanting something relatively obscure.

#17964 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yep, the 2 Clan mechs I like the most right now are the Linebacker and the Gargoyle. I hope the Black Lanner and the Fire Moth Piranha will complete the list (curiously, the faster mechs in their weight bracket).

I can vouch that some of the excitement could be traced to the Battletech Card Game.

Posted Image Posted Image
You are completely right.

There was some very nice artwork there and I have to say that I'm surprised that it's taken so long to get here. That being said, I am also surprised we don't have the Phantom, Pouncer, or Grendel yet either.

The Turkina was amazing too.
Posted Image
And I love the little frog Fire Falcon (but we know that one is coming)
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 16 November 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#17965 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 16 November 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Adding the Pouncer would basically give us the Adder pack triple-threat, right? I like my Adders, and Cougars are on my c-Bill shopping list. That'd be cool.

I know it's an off-beat choice, but I'd love to play the Horned Owl. A 35-ton humanoid ClanTech Battlemech? Yes please. Every other one is some sort of horizontal-torso design. It could be a monstrosity, sure. It has spammy hardpoints config for lasers, missiles, or MGs. Even with a Firestarter-style engine cap, it'd still be plenty fast enough.

It would also have an uncommon rounded-off look. I'd love to see how Alex integrated it's look into his style given that this would have a different look from the usual MWO rugged war machine.
http://www.sarna.net..._Owl_(Peregrine)

Sure, I'd love the 'Moth, Fire Falcon, LCT-IIC or COM-IIC, or a lot of other ideas folks have (I'd like the GRF-IIC, too if anybody cares).

But for a ClanTech light? Horned Owl please. I don't care if it makes me kinda hipster for wanting something relatively obscure.

Horned Owl... I'm curious to see what Alex Iglesias would do with it.
Posted Image
And it was in MW2 (GBL), so it must count for something.

#17966 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostOdanan, on 16 November 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

Horned Owl... I'm curious to see what Alex Iglesias would do with it.
Posted Image
And it was in MW2 (GBL), so it must count for something.

Likewise. I actually geeked out enough to tweet @ Alex about the same notion.

Even the line art's interesting, which isn't always the case. Sometimes it's a mess visually, but not so much here.

Posted Image

I wonder if this concept was "inspired by another franchise." It seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Edited by Virlutris, 17 November 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#17967 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

I feel a sneeze coming on....*ZZZZAKUUUU!!!*

excuse me

#17968 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 17 November 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Likewise. I actually geeked out enough to tweet @ Alex about the same notion.

Even the line art's interesting, which isn't always the case. Sometimes it's a mess visually, but not so much here.

Posted Image

I wonder if this concept was "inspired by another franchise." It seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Posted Image
No wonder they had to change it over time...

#17969 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostOdanan, on 17 November 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

No wonder they had to change it over time...

That's no Zaku, boy....

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 17 November 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#17970 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 17 November 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

That's no Zaku, boy....

I won't argue because I know nothing about Gundam.

#17971 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostOdanan, on 17 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

those are brain cells you have saved for something better. Which is pretty much anything. (Unless we are talking about the 08th MS team, which is the only one worth a darn)

#17972 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 November 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

those are brain cells you have saved for something better. Which is pretty much anything. (Unless we are talking about the 08th MS team, which is the only one worth a darn)

Gundam has several good series but obviously not everyone will be a fan. Personally I think anyone who is a fan of mechs should watch some gundam. Iron blooded orphens, 00, Thunderbolt or Unicorn are probably easier to get into than some older ones but 8th ms is quite excellent.

View PostOdanan, on 17 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

It is a Zaku, he's just quoting. Plus Bishop is a Macross fan (as I recall)

#17973 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

So, the Black Lanner Early Adopter Rewards expire in November, 30th and December 1st we will probably see a new mech. Which mech it will be?? Place your bets!

- I renew my bet in the Fafnir.

Posted Image

#17974 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostOdanan, on 22 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

So, the Black Lanner Early Adopter Rewards expire in November, 30th and December 1st we will probably see a new mech. Which mech it will be?? Place your bets!

Posted Image

That thing is so dam ugly. It looks more like a pleasure robot built to take a pounding from a group than a real battlemech. What do the speed holes on top and the wings on its arms do? I can't imagine it's very aerodynamic :P

#17975 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

#17976 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 22 November 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

That thing is so dam ugly. It looks more like a pleasure robot built to take a pounding from a group than a real battlemech. What do the speed holes on top and the wings on its arms do? I can't imagine it's very aerodynamic Posted Image

I guess the speed holes help dissipate the heat that Heavy Gauss Rifles would realistically generate (TT's zero heat Gauss is a lie) and the arm wings could be to help block fire from hitting those gigantic side torsos...probably won't accomplish much in that case though.

#17977 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 17 November 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

That's no Zaku, boy....

View PostBrain Cancer, on 22 November 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Wow.

#17978 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostOdanan, on 22 November 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Wow.

It's old haha, like 70s old.

#17979 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 22 November 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

It's old haha, like 70s old.

Like much of the playerbase, although it's 1980s for the first Gundam stuff over here.

#17980 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostOdanan, on 22 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

To be honest that resemblance looks like it is straight out of Star Wars. Looks like a walking Old Republic era vessel.

Still don't think they'll already bring another 100t assault. IS has had 2 assaults in a row - one being a 100t - with the civil war tech. With the Hellspawn being a medium coming up next month my bet would be on a light (Arctic Fox please).

I could do with an Argus tho.

Edited by Gasoline, 23 November 2017 - 08:34 AM.

65 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 65 guests, 0 anonymous users