BattleMech 4 - Dragon

324 replies to this topic

#161 Habokku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 23 November 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

I know this game is trying to stay canon, but doesn't the Dragon seem a little underpowered w/o it's Hgauss?

So you know, and I say this as an avid player of MW4: Mercenaries to this day: Mechwarrior 4 deviates REALLY hard from the lore and history of 'mech design, especially as far as weaponry goes on a vast majority of the 'mechs.

A dragon *could* carry a heavy gauss in theory, but you wouldn't have room for much of anything else beyond maybe a laser or two, if that, and would probably skimp on armor to boot.

This ain't your daddy's mechwarrior.

Don't compare this to any previous iteration of the franchise.

As for me: Thank you for the amazing treat and excellent reveal! I can't wait to see more!

Keep up the great work!

<S>

-Havoc
A.K.A. Habokku

#162 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

only thing i don't like is its useless claw, i thought they were "modernizing" things.

#163 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

That 'useless' claw should stay, so when physical combat is introduced it will become a formidable hand-to-hand opponent.

#164 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

View PostHabokku, on 23 November 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

So you know, and I say this as an avid player of MW4: Mercenaries to this day: Mechwarrior 4 deviates REALLY hard from the lore and history of 'mech design, especially as far as weaponry goes on a vast majority of the 'mechs.

A dragon *could* carry a heavy gauss in theory, but you wouldn't have room for much of anything else beyond maybe a laser or two, if that, and would probably skimp on armor to boot.

This ain't your daddy's mechwarrior.

Don't compare this to any previous iteration of the franchise.

As for me: Thank you for the amazing treat and excellent reveal! I can't wait to see more!

Keep up the great work!

<S>

-Havoc
A.K.A. Habokku

All I am saying is that this design seems outclassed by medium mechs around it's size (ie: canon bushwacker). Although not as heavily armored, the bushwacker carries far greater firepower and is just as fast as the Dragon.

#165 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm diggin it. Wish the gun arm was a bit more understated to emphasize the shoulders and LRM 'beer gut', but that's just me. As for the claw arms, and hands in general on redesigned battlemechs, I'd say keepem, even if they don't have a functional use! Hands/claws/manipulators are really integral in mainting a distinct silhouette for certain mechs - like the Crab (crab claws) or the Atlas (big fists). That's one thing I really disagreed with when it came to certain MW4 redesigns - replacing classy hands with modern-esque gun sheaths.

#166 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 23 November 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

All I am saying is that this design seems outclassed by medium mechs around it's size (ie: canon bushwacker). Although not as heavily armored, the bushwacker carries far greater firepower and is just as fast as the Dragon.

Yeah but remember the Bushwacker uses Star League tech like an XL engine and FF Armor to free up weight to add more weapons (and note that the XL engine does NOT help it's survivability much).

This Dragon is a succession wars-era model - you don't start seeing SL tech until the DRG-5N Dragon or the DRG-5K Grand Dragon.

Edited by The1WithTheGun, 23 November 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#167 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostThe1WithTheGun, on 23 November 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

Yeah but remember the Bushwacker uses Star League tech like an XL engine and FF Armor to free up weight to add more weapons (and note that the XL engine does NOT help it's survivability much).

This Dragon is a succession wars-era model - you don't start seeing SL tech until the DRG-5N or the DRG-5K Grand Dragon.

You do have a point. I wasn't around when the Battletech Series first launched, so I know very little about the Star League era. No offense agains the design, I do appreciate the detail put into the original Dragon.

#168 Aidan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 542 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

YEA !!! One of my favorite mechs.

FEAR THE DRAGON !!! ;)

#169 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Less firepower than a Centurion (AC/10 FTW !) but being faster does have it's applications for some.
Now if I can only pull that AC/5 for a PPC, moar heatsinks and patch back some armor........ ;)

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 23 November 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#170 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 23 November 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

Less firepower than a Centurion (AC/10 FTW !) but being faster does have it's applications for some.
Now if I can only pull that AC/5 for a PPC, moar heatsinks....

That would be the DRG-1G Grand Dragon. Or, if you like the advanced tech (ER-PPC and double heat sinks), the DRG-5K Grand Dragon.

About the Centurion: note that the Dragon has 50% more long-range firepower, more ammo, more armor, and is faster than the Centurion - meaning the Dragon, barring a lucky shot, can pick apart the Centurion at it's leisure.

Edited by The1WithTheGun, 23 November 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#171 Galaxy613

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUSA, VA

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

They seem to have forgotten to link to the fullsize Ortho picture, here it is:
Posted Image

#172 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

I think that they are attempting to point out that two medium lasers, an LRM10, and an AC5 is substantial firepower for a 60 ton 'Mech in this era. If that is a viable battlefield model, I say more power to them. Imagine being combat effective in a Hornet, or a Javelin.

#173 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 23 November 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

That 'useless' claw should stay, so when physical combat is introduced it will become a formidable hand-to-hand opponent.

that's when I stop playing, it would completely change Mechwarrior dynamics. IMO it would add way to much sci-fi to a simulator first game :/ but who knows after all we get to level up now too, it may be like you suggest inevitable. I hope not.

#174 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostFresh_Meat, on 23 November 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

that's when I stop playing, it would completely change Mechwarrior dynamics. IMO it would add way to much sci-fi to a simulator first game :/ but who knows after all we get to level up now too, it may be like you suggest inevitable. I hope not.

Just look and say that isn't cool.
Posted Image

#175 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

lol its very cool i just dont think its very feasible in a sim ;) thats also my fav. mech getting smashed in the face!

#176 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Cool mech!

BTW, being that November has a FIFTH Wednesday, will we still get our weekly fix of developer love? Maybe a bonus "fragment"? ;)

#177 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

View PostFresh_Meat, on 23 November 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

lol its very cool i just dont think its very feasible in a sim ;) thats also my fav. mech getting smashed in the face!
And that's sort of the point... don't knock it until you try it. :D

Fave 'Mech, eh? Well, okay, that's a bummer, but getting smashed in the face by an Atlas can happen to the best of us.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 23 November 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#178 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

View PostThe1WithTheGun, on 23 November 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

That would be the DRG-1G Grand Dragon. Or, if you like the advanced tech (ER-PPC and double heat sinks), the DRG-5K Grand Dragon.

About the Centurion: note that the Dragon has 50% more long-range firepower, more ammo, more armor, and is faster than the Centurion - meaning the Dragon, barring a lucky shot, can pick apart the Centurion at it's leisure.

No XL engines for me please.
As a merc outfit, i don't want to pay through the nose for 1 of those.

Anyway the 1G is a factory fit. But I will cull the MLAS for another heatsink.

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 23 November 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#179 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

You'd think that they'd make a Grand Dragon variant that kept the 5/8 movement profile without the XL engine, but it seems that all of the modern Grand Dragon variants all use the 360XL.

Also interesting is the Grand Dragon gets a lower arm actuator for the PPC arm, unlike the regular Dragon that just has an upper arm actuator. I wonder if the in game model will display this too, if they include the Grand Dragon.

#180 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 November 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Also interesting is the Grand Dragon gets a lower arm actuator for the PPC arm, unlike the regular Dragon that just has an upper arm actuator. I wonder if the in game model will display this too, if they include the Grand Dragon.

Here is picture, and I don't see lower arm actuator
Posted Image
And here stats:

Right Arm
1 Shoulder
2 Upper Arm Actuator
3 Lower Arm Actuator
4 AC/5
5 AC/5
6 AC/5

1 AC/5
2 -Empty-
3 -Empty-
4 -Empty-
5 -Empty-
6 -Empty-

Looks like dragon art (like many others) does not enough coincide with TT rules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users