so how soon can we expect clan technology? not interested in this game untill the clans come into the picture as I don't like this era mechs

177 replies to this topic

#81 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Clanspeak ... just ...

Posted Image

#82 River McCain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationTropical Paradise

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I for one am glad that MWO is launching prior to the Revival, it will let us actually do some roleplay.

Clan Jade Falcon launched the first of five major assualt waves on the Inner Sphere on March 20th, 3050 with attacks on 10 Federated Commonwealth planets.

I do not mind pretending to like Innersphere until then.

Edited by River McCain, 03 July 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#83 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostHunson Abadeer, on 02 July 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Clanspeak ... just ...

Posted Image

Read a few of the Clan based books. Clanspeak is entirely laid out and logical, you just have to get used to it first.

Here is a short primer-

Quiaff/Quineg = Query Affirmative?/Query Negative?, it's a rhetorical modifier, like saying "He is a bad guy, no?". People use this incorrectly all the time.

No contractions. Ever. Those are for freebirth surats.

Freeborn = Someone born from a mother and father. Considered lower caste and genetically inferior.

Trueborn = Genetically controlled warriors (some washout and become other caste members) of the Clan eugenics program. Considered highest caste.

Stravag/Freebirth/Surat = All curses/insults in the Clan vernacular.

#84 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have pretty much all of the TRO's, source books, &c. I am just not a fan of Clanspeak. For example, quiaff/quineg is just superfluous and unseemly at the end of a rhetorical question. I consider those along with stravag, surat, and other Clanspeak as the proverbial answer looking for a question. The Clans started as mysterious and nebulous, but they still needed to seem "different" once brought into the light.

Just my opinion, but the fabricated words have always taken away from the Clans in my view rather than adding to them. I'm sure that some oddball words could come into being in the 266 years between the Exodus and invasion, but I'm just not a fan.

View PostCanAm, on 02 July 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Read a few of the Clan based books. Clanspeak is entirely laid out and logical, you just have to get used to it first.

Here is a short primer-

Quiaff/Quineg = Query Affirmative?/Query Negative?, it's a rhetorical modifier, like saying "He is a bad guy, no?". People use this incorrectly all the time.

No contractions. Ever. Those are for freebirth surats.

Freeborn = Someone born from a mother and father. Considered lower caste and genetically inferior.

Trueborn = Genetically controlled warriors (some washout and become other caste members) of the Clan eugenics program. Considered highest caste.

Stravag/Freebirth/Surat = All curses/insults in the Clan vernacular.

#85 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 01 July 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Then I, Mechwarrior Rejarial, of Clan Wolf issue a circle of equals. My bid, my Timber Wolf. Do you accept this challenge? Quiaff?

aff, I accept your challenge rejarial of clan wolf. i will grant you the honor of choosing the field.

#86 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostCanAm, on 02 July 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Neg, Cik. There is no honor to be found in an honor duel with you. Challenging you would bring great shame upon me.

As an aside, it is not the Way of the Clans to be wasteful, even of freebirth coolant-jockeys like yourself.

you speak like a hound barks, offering empty noise and insult, poorly considered. if you will not back your assertion, i see no reason to pay it any mind.

#87 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

I had the arguement wth many a IS player when the clans where introduced... it is a matter of culture. the clans where not just created to be overpower boogymen...the style of warfare they use is naturally going to build a superior tech base, while the unlimited warefare of the IS will naturally blast them into the stoneages time and time again. as far as playability, one has to understand that the culture of the clans is one of bushido like honor in combat... if you do not play that as a clanner, you are just a powergaming munchkin who has no purpose in the game, and will receive no respect in it either. when i started playing MW2, I ended up having to explain the bachall process to the players on the public servers. the most commkon counterbid I heard was "no heat tracking, unlimited ammo?"... I found myself spending 15 minutes between each game on a soapbox preaching about knowing what game you are actually playing, and understanding the attached culture. within a year things had imprioved greatly, as we had about a dozen players who know anything about battletech or not, understood and enjoyed the gameplay the had been created by driving out the min-maxing twinks.

#88 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

hunson, swordbrother, things like clanspeak where fasa's way of developing slang for a fictional culture. it is no different than jive of the 70's, or shadowspeak of shadowrun, nei chummer? it does indeed serve no more purpose than adding color, and some of it was better thought out than others.

#89 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostCik, on 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

aff, I accept your challenge rejarial of clan wolf. i will grant you the honor of choosing the field.

I thought that if he issued the challenge you are suppose to pick the venue?

#90 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostSkylarr, on 02 July 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

I thought that if he issued the challenge you are suppose to pick the venue?

As an informal Trial of Grievance between two Warriors, the venue is mutually agreed on.
They have already (I assume) decided on fighting augmented.

#91 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, I get why FASA went there. I just never liked the effect. Too many Clanners come across as pointlessly pompous rather than honorable and noble. I can tolerate the ingrained intolerance of trueborn versus freeborn, but I think FASA inadvertently played into the munchiness of the munchiest of the munchkins. I guess it boils down to Clanners seeming too one-dimensional for my tastes. You rarely meet the Kerensky sort, who are pragmatic and more calculating, but there seems to be an infinite supply of Frat Boys in Space beating their chests.

As the Hagakure says, "Concerning martial valor, merit lies more in dying for one's master than in striking down the enemy."

It is fairly easy to be "honorable" when you know that you hold practically all of the advantages from the start.

View PostSOGNeon, on 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

hunson, swordbrother, things like clanspeak where fasa's way of developing slang for a fictional culture. it is no different than jive of the 70's, or shadowspeak of shadowrun, nei chummer? it does indeed serve no more purpose than adding color, and some of it was better thought out than others.

#92 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

"You rarely meet the Kerensky sort, who are pragmatic and more calculating, but there seems to be an infinite supply of Frat Boys in Space beating their chests"

Indeed there is a problem in that many "clanners" do not understand the culture they are playing... within the culture of the clans even there is a spread from blood thirsty warriors to introspective visionaries. each clan has it's overall cultural personality, and what we see most often these days perhaps belongs in the crusader clans. if you look at many of the games out there they tend to encourage that agressive alfa male personality... indeed if you look at the first summerset strikers, Star Colonel Nicolai Malthius of Jade Falcon is so driven by this mindset that even his subordinate Star Captain Kristine Redmound notes he is acting unclan like and bringing dishonor. at the other end of the spectrum, clan nova cat and the draconis combine eventually settle their differences, and even to an extent become allies toward the end of the clan war. IIRC, the conflict between novacat and DCMS was finally settled with a flip of a coin as novacat elders with thier deep belief in mysticism believed that certain omans where urging them to find a peaceful solution to the invasion.

Jade Falcon: crusading clan
Wolf: crusading clan
Ghost Bear: space vikings who should get along with rasalhague...started off as a crusading clan, but we later discover they are secretly wardens
smoke jaguar: super agressive crusading clan we will be doing the clans a favor when we whipe them out.
nova cat: introspective warden clan
snow raven: would rather send some trade caravans to the inner sphere than this whole invasion nonsence... no profit to be found in ticking off would be clients<G>

I am afraid I do not recall the status of many of the others off hand... I would have to dig out my clan books
hells horses
snow hellions
blood spirit
cloud cobra
coyote
diamond shark
fire mandrill
goliath scorpion
star adder
steel viper

the warden clans basicly hold to Kerensky's vision that they will serve as the star league had to protect humanity... the crusaders on the other hand have strayed fropm Kerensky's path in that it became their belief that humanity needed to be protected from itself, therefore should be conqured and brought into the clan way by force if nessicary.

unfortunatly they appeal to the type a personality due to the nature of the waste nothing mindset they have helping them develope a greater level of technology. this technological advancement is understandable if you look at our own history. unfortunatly it is the player who misuses the culture and most often maligns the name of the clans.

#93 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostCik, on 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Strana Mechty.

#94 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, I have always liked the core concept behind the Clans, and I loved reading the fluff about the invasion. Even the Crusaders were interesting in theory, but some players just get too caught up in the pomp and circumstance. The fluff is full of politicking, arguments, and broader character development. Too many Clanners distill all of that down to one-dimensional caricatures.

Clan character development all too often is just being kept in the same test tube too long. Otherwise, the vast majority always seem to have Bloodnames and are next in line to be Khan of their Clan.

;)

View PostSOGNeon, on 02 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Indeed there is a problem in that many "clanners" do not understand the culture they are playing

#95 Walter Soebchak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

This takes one of the top prizes in the dumb forum post topic awards.

#96 Wolfclaw

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostBoondoxSaint, on 27 June 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

haha im using the inner sphere names cause figured most would only recognize those names........... the selection of mechs in this game as is atm is meh....wheres the raven at least? i'd scout it up in a raven. Having to pay 120$ for all 4 at launch is pretty ridiculous. ..... and really how many medium laser boats are there going to be? cause srsly thats all you will see in a month or so and complaints about gauss plas boats....

Do us all a favor and go away...you have no clue what you're talking about.

#97 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

Ah...another of those ones...

#98 Rhyshaelkan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

RTFM

Sad when people will ask a question answered just three posts above the one they just made.

#99 XvDraxvX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts
  • LocationEscondido CA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I just want my Mad Dog :-(

I have so many missiles to give!

#100 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

I say we have 10 years without any clans or clantech just to give the developers time to properly balance the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users