Founders: how are you building your prime variants?

149 replies to this topic

#101 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

I have never really been able to make jumpjets work for me in previous mechwarrior titles so I would go with something along the lines of this

CPLT-K2 - Breaking the mold of the Catapult, the K2 model removes the LRM-15 launchers and replaces them with two PPCs which allow the Catapult to act as a direct fire support 'Mech and take a more active role in front line combat. The 'Mech has additional single heat sinks to help dissipate the added heat from the PPCs. The K2 also has two Machine Guns to deter infantry attacks. BV (1.0) = 1,052, BV (2.0) = 1,319[10]

I would remove the machine guns and jump jets replacing them with medium lasers/pulse lasers, heat sinks (depending on how hard it is to manage heat levels) or extra armour.

Heavy BattleMech Technical Readout

Type: Catapult Technology Base: Inner Sphere / 3075 Ruleset: Standard (5th edition) Tonnage: 65 Cost: 5,758,775 C-bills Battle Value: 1,332 Equipment Mass Internal Structure: Standard 6.5 Engine: 260 13.5 Type: Fusion Walking MP: 4 Running MP: 6 Jumping MP: 0 Heat Sinks: 18 [36] 8.0 Gyro: Standard 3.0 Cockpit: 3.0 Armor Factor: 211 12.0 Internal
Structure Armor
Value Head 3 9 Center Torso 21 31 Center Torso (rear) 11 L/R Torso 15/15 22/22 L/R Torso (rear) 8/8 L/R Arms 10/10 20/20 L/R Legs 15/15 30/30 Weapons and Ammo Location Crits Tons Medium Laser CT 1 1.0 PPC RA 3 7.0 PPC LA 3 7.0 Pulse Laser (Medium) LT 1 2.0 Pulse Laser (Medium) RT 1 2.0

BattleForce 2
MP Damage PB/M/L Overheat Class 4 3/3/2 - H Armor/Structure Point Value Specials 5/5 14 -

Catapult
Mass: 65 tons Chassis: Standard Power Plant: Magna 260 Fusion Cruising Speed: 43 kph Maximum Speed: 65 kph Advanced Motive: none Jump Jets: none Jump Capacity: none Armor: Ferro-Fiberous Cockpit: Standard Armament: Medium Laser PPC PPC Pulse Laser (Medium) Pulse Laser (Medium) Manufacturer: Inner Sphere Communications System: Standard Targeting & Tracking System: Standard

Edited by Hans Davion, 12 July 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#102 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Or perhaps this:

Heavy BattleMech Technical Readout

Type: Catapult Technology Base: Inner Sphere / 3075 Ruleset: Standard (5th edition) Tonnage: 65 Cost: 13,759,625 C-bills Battle Value: 1,287 Equipment Mass Internal Structure: Standard 6.5 Engine: 260 7.0 Type: Fusion XL Walking MP: 4 Running MP: 6 Jumping MP: 0 Heat Sinks: 14 [28] 4.0 Gyro: Extra-Light 1.5 Cockpit: 2.0 Armor Factor: 211 12.0 Internal
Structure
Armor
Value
Head 3 9 Center Torso 21 31 Center Torso (rear) 11 L/R Torso 15/15 22/22 L/R Torso (rear) 8/8 L/R Arms 10/10 20/20 L/R Legs 15/15 30/30 Weapons and Ammo Location Crits Tons Medium Laser H 1 1.0 Pulse Laser (Medium) LT 1 2.0 Pulse Laser (Medium) RT 1 2.0 LB 10-X AC LA 6 11.0 LB 10-X AC RA 6 11.0 Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 LA 1 1.0 Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 LA 1 1.0 Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 RA 1 1.0 Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 RA 1 1.0

BattleForce 2
MP Damage PB/M/L Overheat Class 4 4/4/2 - H Armor/Structure Point Value Specials 5/3 13 -

Catapult
Mass: 65 tons Chassis: Standard Power Plant: Magna 260 Fusion XL Cruising Speed: 43 kph Maximum Speed: 65 kph Advanced Motive: none Jump Jets: none Jump Capacity: none Armor: Ferro-Fiberous Cockpit: Small Cockpit Armament: Medium Laser Pulse Laser (Medium) Pulse Laser (Medium) LB 10-X AC LB 10-X AC Manufacturer: Inner Sphere Communications System: Standard Targeting & Tracking System: Targeting Computer

#103 Johnny Kerensky

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Type/Model: Catapult
Mass: 65 tons
Chassis: Hollis Mark II Standard
Power Plant: 260 Magna Fusion
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: 13 Tons
Armament:
4 SRM 6s
1 Large Laser
Ammunition: 3 tons SRM

I am considering changing this up, the brawling capability is certainly there but is 11 salvoes enough for a whole battle? With just the LL as a backup and the JJs stripped out I would be fighting on the same level as a light without the electronic systems and a bit less speed.

I don't think that having four SRMs and loading them with a total of three tons of ammo actually works in the game. :D
You need to load at least one ton of ammo into each one of them and the standard four medium lasers are better for close range and they cost nothing in ammo either.

#104 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostDeathman Kenshi, on 12 July 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

If they do not allow multiple weapon slots
It would than make downguning useless in some cases or at least cut down customisation options considerably resulting in one or two working builds for most mech variants.

Yes, that is exactly the intention. You can't buy one 'Mech and do everything with it. If you want a laserboat, you need to buy a 'Mech that comes with lots of energy weapons from the get-go. You can then change the energy weapons that are present, but you can't add autocannons.

If you have 21 free tons and only 3 energy hardpoints on the entire Mech, you don't get to add 21 medium lasers. You do, however, get to add 3 PPCs.

View PostDeathman Kenshi, on 12 July 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

You are wrong on this one
Its 3% of structural damage
You do not see enemy armor and when you are taking %of his "life" you are actually doing damage to internal structure as armor is already destroyed or penetrated

Erm, no. Absolutely not.

Armor and internal structure are both displayed on the HUD, and even LRMs must first chew through the armor.

The person you quoted IS wrong, however, on his assumption that an entire volley will only do 3% damage. That's completely made-up. Each LRM that hits does 1 point of damage, and what percentage that takes off the enemy depends on how much armor the enemy has and how many LRMs hit. It's entirely possible for a 2xLRM15 volley to blast a Cicada's side torso clean off with damage to spare, if you are lucky (although, it is much more likely that the damage is spread out over multiple sections).

View PostJohnny Kerensky, on 12 July 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I don't think that having four SRMs and loading them with a total of three tons of ammo actually works in the game. :D
You need to load at least one ton of ammo into each one of them and the standard four medium lasers are better for close range and they cost nothing in ammo either.

Actually, it was stated somewhere that you can in fact make do with less ammo slots than weapons. You just run out faster. Check the Q&A's or the Ask The Dev sessions.

It's entirely possible to run four LRM15 off of 1 ton of ammo, but you'll only be able to fire them twice.

Edited by Der Zivilist, 12 July 2012 - 07:37 AM.

#105 VK4502B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

#106 Mu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

The default Catapult is pretty good. Most of my options for reconfiguration could only happen if they allow the use of endo steel, and if it doesn't require a specific variant.

I'd probably try out a short range version with two SSRM-2s and 4 MPLs.

#107 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

For the catapult i'll ditch the JJ's for more armor and ammo, and maybe ditch the lasers for more launchers if i can

on previous MW games i've made builds that had 50% more armor than the prime variant with more LRMs too and i really enjoyed those

i guess it depends on how many kills you can get with the amount of ammo you pack on there. no one wants to run dry with 10 guys left on the other team, but if i can put enough on it to get me through 2/3's of the match i'm fine with no jumpjets and no other weapons but LRMs

#108 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostMu, on 12 July 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

The default Catapult is pretty good. Most of my options for reconfiguration could only happen if they allow the use of endo steel, and if it doesn't require a specific variant.

I'd probably try out a short range version with two SSRM-2s and 4 MPLs.

Endo-Steel just takes up an equipment slot. From what I've read so far from the devs Endo-Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, ECM, BAP, Heatsinks are all just considered equipment and do not require special slots. Jump jets on the other hand probably are handled the same as weapons. We've seen no confirmation on this though.

There has only been mention of Ballistic, Missile, and Energy slots on Mechs. So if you wanted you could load all that stuff on at a Cat if you had enough critical locations.

#109 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have two thoughts for the Hunchback:

First, a build to work with a fire support lance - U-AC/5, Large Laser, Medium Laser, TAG, max armor, and 5/8 movement - durable, good range and damage profile, and again TAG to call down support LRM fire:

Hunchback HBK-5A

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3050

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 250 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
1 Large Laser
1 Ultra AC/5
1 Medium Laser
1 TAG
1 Guardian ECM Suite
================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultra AC/5 RT 1 5 9.00
Large Laser LT 8 2 5.00
TAG LT 0 1 1.00
Guardian ECM Suite LT 0 2 1.50
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
@Ultra AC/5 (40) RT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 5

Then the other, is just making the Hunchback into a more mobile killing machine, while again being supported by indirect fire via TAG - AC/20, two Medium Lasers, TAG, ECM, and 5/8/5 movement via an XL engine, and still nearly max armor (note that this build stuck one AC/20 crit in CT, so may not work in MWO, but this is the general idea):

Hunchback HBK-5X

Mass: 50 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3050

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 250 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor w/ CASE
Armament:
1 Autocannon/20
2 Medium Lasers
1 TAG
1 Guardian ECM Suite

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAG HD 0 1 1.00
Autocannon/20 CT/LT 7 1/9 14.00
Guardian ECM Suite RT 0 2 1.50
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
Medium Laser LA 3 1 1.00
@AC/20 (15) RT - 3 3.00
Free Critical Slots: 3

#110 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have another Question :

It's possible to removed the dual LRM 15 and to put a dual PPC on the Catapult C-1 or it's just possible on the K2 ?

#111 Siegwald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

From what little we know this won't be possible.

Otherwise it would be meaningless to have the two variants in game.
Especially as the skill tree requires you to play through all base variants for getting the Elite status on a given chassis.

#112 Wolftrap

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

Gonna stick with normal config...I like it...it does damage...plan of using other mechs sooner rather then later so not dumping alot of cbills config mech I don't mind playing stock

#113 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

going to try and fit 10 more missiles total on the catapult.

I will certainly be going for lrm 20's on the stalker, that's for sure. baby has the potential to be a heavy duty support boat. lrm 20's on the arms, medium pulse lasers on the torso or maybe an ac/20 in there somehow.

an lrm 20 on one arm and an ac/20 on the other? with two ppc in the torso? nah getting off track here talking about the stalker but i digress

I'm going full support boat with the catapult. lrm 20's, some junk from radioshack, and 2 medium pulse lasers at least if its even possible. Oh my goodness if I could get inferno lrm's that would just make my day. nothing makes your enemy panic like discovering all countering the missiles did was cover themselves in flammable goop.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 13 July 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#114 DeclanH

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

I haven't read all the replies so apologies if someone has said the same, but I am going to spec all of my mechs as if they were Urbanmechs until i can get a real one to play.

But really I haven't looked into it much yet as far as variants, I will screw around with different specs and end up with a totally handicapped mech that can barely walk and has lasers pointed inwards or some crap and then finally smarten up and do some homework.

#115 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

View PostSiegwald, on 13 July 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

From what little we know this won't be possible.

Otherwise it would be meaningless to have the two variants in game.
Especially as the skill tree requires you to play through all base variants for getting the Elite status on a given chassis.

But it's possible to put dual PPC on the torso if we removed the 4 medium laser ?

#116 DoctorJest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationBourne, UK

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'm on the fence at this point in time - my Founders mech is (subject to change) a Catapult but I have yet to decide how I really want to alter it, if I go for Missile weapons or Energy, or a mix.........and then I constantly berate myself for selling all my BT TT Rulebooks when in a financial pinch as I can't remember half the construction rules and so forth...... :lol:

I would hope an official Mechlab is in the offing to make all the speculation into a certainty.

#117 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

I hope too for an official mechlab because where we are new, we are lost with so many weapons :S.

#118 Zoghak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

View PostKyoshim, on 13 July 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

But it's possible to put dual PPC on the torso if we removed the 4 medium laser ?

yes this should be possible. i was thinking about this config for my founders catapult:

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 260
Heat Sinks: 15 [30]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 104 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 200/211

PPC-LT
PPC-RT
SRM4-RA
SRM4-LA
2xMedium Pulse Laser CT

2tons SRM4 LT
CASE LT

edit: maybe i could exchange the PPCs for 2 Large Pulse Laser. this should be more effective against fast mechs, i am a terrible gunner anyway :lol:

Edited by Zoghak, 13 July 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#119 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostZoghak, on 13 July 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

yes this should be possible. i was thinking about this config for my founders catapult:

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 260
Heat Sinks: 15 [30]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 104 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 200/211

PPC-LT
PPC-RT
SRM4-RA
SRM4-LA
2xMedium Pulse Laser CT

2tons SRM4 LT
CASE LT

ok thanks but i saw in this screenshoot : http://mwomercs.com/...ab-screenshot-2

We can't put a PPC on the LT and the RT so we can put 1 Medium laser on the LT and 1 on the RT and put 2 PPC on the CT but i don't know if we able to put 6 critical slots on the CT because with engine and the Gyro, it's possible, we have not enough critical slots :S.

#120 Zoghak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostKyoshim, on 13 July 2012 - 03:29 AM, said:

ok thanks but i saw in this screenshoot : http://mwomercs.com/...ab-screenshot-2

We can't put a PPC on the LT and the RT so we can put 1 Medium laser on the LT and 1 on the RT and put 2 PPC on the CT but i don't know if we able to put 6 critical slots on the CT because with engine and the Gyro, it's possible, we have not enough critical slots :S.

why does this show that we can not mount a ppc in the left torso? it has 2 energy hardpoints

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users