50 replies to this topic

#1 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:11 AM

Hello fellow Mechwarriors,

I came to play and have fun and relax in MWO today, as always.

Found pug behavior (i don't like playing in groups. My bad, i know ;)) to be even more toxic than usual during a challenge: LRMs everywhere, people dissing each other, suicide runs.

Last challenge was bad, but this is even worse!

I really enjoy playing this game, but i guess I'll pass for this weekend.

I don't really want to spend about 10 hours (probably more) of this kind of gameplay to get an Adder.

I actually don't really want to spend one minute of my sparse free time in this hell hole.

In other games that I have played, challenges brought up the best of the game, making you feel like you were struggling for something with your teammates.
You had fun, because everyone was playing to their best, and you felt compelled to try and do the same.
At the end of the challenge, you often wanted to play more, because you had a great time!

Here, it seems like it just brings out the worst of the community.

I like the idea of challenges, and free stuff. But if i have to sacrifice fun and enjoyment of the game for it, i guess it's not worth it.

I think the problems come from 2 main things:

1- challenge formula: kills+assist+ (sometimes) wins. These bring the need to either play selfishly or go home with nothing. And if your team sucks, you might either not get assists, or not get a win (when that is important). So:
-you have to play like an ***hole.
-if your team sucks (or is made out of other ***holes) you are wasting your time.
Is it just me or something is really wrong?
Moreover, we all know that if something is "free", lots of players will set themselves the goal to get it at all costs. That's just human behavior, i guess.

2-short time limit: We all want to get it done. We have only 3 days to do it. No one is playing the game to have fun. We all are on a rush. "Gotta get points before it's too late."
And when you need 50 points, you know it is going to take forever to accomplish.
Moreover, if you have stuff to do (you know, real life? what most people have?) you probably have very little time to waste.
So most people does what it takes to accomplish the challenge as fast as possible, and as soon as it's done, feel completely burnt out, because little to no fun was had.

Is it worth it to have lots of players playing the game during challenges if this burns them out of the game?

Do you really want your players to feel like they are working a job?

I understand that some players might enjoy this, and think that as it's a challenge, it has to be "challenging". But I think there is a great difference between "challenging" and "busy work".

Even worse, is it a good idea to make the game terrible for who is not interested in the challenge? Lets say a new player comes to try the game in these days (in the weekend? how dare he!). Do you think he or she will ever come back? I sure wouldn't.

Is it that hard to find a challenge formula and time limit that dosen't turn players into rabid madmen?

In the meanwhile, I'll play something else. And one day on one of these occasions I might play something I enjoy more than MWO, and never come back (if you get what I mean).

#2 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

yeah can't denied this....did many facepalm today...omg lol

#3 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:19 AM

Sweet! Another solo queue event!

That means that not only do we get to hold the hands and wipe the chins of the new players, we're going to be plagued by people from the Group queue that don't understand why they have to carry so many new players.

Just like every other event in the solo queue.

#4 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:19 AM

Getting 50-80 points over a weekend in this challenge is just out of line except for guys camped in moms basement and nothing to do past take out the garbage.
For that reason I am not trying and just playing as normal.

I don't know about PGI, I think they have a sadistic streak. They do one good thing by removing the win requirement then jack the numbers up so you will go blind trying.

I haven't done the math but I wonder in average gameplay time how long it would take to get to the end of this in hours.

I will buy an Adder If I want that POS anyways.

Edited by Mudhutwarrior, 28 February 2015 - 03:20 AM.

#5 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

Chill

#6 Gray-Fox

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

I just get this premium time (3 points) and that's me done for the weekend. I can't be grinding this all day for a bad light :P.

#7 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:33 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 28 February 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

I haven't done the math but I wonder in average gameplay time how long it would take to get to the end of this in hours.

Hmm, a minimum of 50 matches, with let's say an average of 6 minutes length (an optimistic estimate) and 20 seconds queueing and waiting to begin matches.

50*(6+1/3) = 316 minutes = 5 hours and 16 minutes.

Chances are, if you're simply an average player, it'll be at least half again that long. Add the possibility of undergoing stomp streaks where you can't score a point, and longer matches, and twice that long isn't an impossibility. Add the 30 extra points to get all rewards, and it's at least a quarter again as long.

#8 AThousandD

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:33 AM

Two things are painfully obvious to me:

1) Removing the win requirement has dissolved any semblance of teamwork that may have remained during these challenges. I found myself doing basically suicide runs, because playing smart and conservatively is certainly out of order; you need big alphas and aggressive rushing, lest your kills are stolen - should you die, doesn't matter, as long as you score that kill. There've been joke builds geared toward ridiculous single-alpha kills and this makes playing a repulsive proposition (Direstars, Quad-Gauss whales, I've heard of octo-AC5 Crabs?)

No, it has made the gameplay a brutal FLD Alpha-fest, that limits pilot skill in favour of one-shot pony cheese. Seriously, I'm rarely one to complain during these events - but this one definitely broke the camel's back.

2) PGI are evil sadists. Throwing such a gruelling event hot on the heels of last week's grind - those people hate your personal life. Or are trying to make a point about personal responsibility. Or both.

The only winning proposition is not to play, really.

#9 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:43 AM

A certain score would (and maybe a win condition) would have been far better.
Killing Blows just cater to suicide runs and huge alpha builds

#10 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

It's nice giving the weekend of premium time, that's useful to a lot of players. Anyone playing 10+ hours after that for nothing more than consumables and either a few bonus C-bills or a commitment to buy two more bad mechs is beyond my understanding. I guess it's something for the teens with nothing better to do.

#11 Linkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

yes, ty for the events, but, how about one that is doable by those who don't have all weekend to grind matches.

Match score minimum works well I think, so stop with the kill and x crap, encourages kill stealers or suicides...

#12 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

Revel in it if only for one weekend...

#13 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

"A Battletech game".

I'm seeing so many idiotic matches today.... that really I'm wondering what this gamestyle has to do with battletech.

Quite normal in a kill-stealing weekend, but everyday rule with steam coming :D

Quite sure I'm going to drop with my unit only, if this will be the trend of common pug matches....

#14 Linkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

View Postsneeking, on 28 February 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

Revel in it if only for one weekend...

Except these type of events keep repeating...

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

I only play the Challenges as I normally do. So if everyone else is changing let em. PGI does need to come up with a Challenge for the CW Que though.

#16 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:02 AM

I remember Warthunder giving away premium planes which are compared to mwo actually even cheaper. You had to do 600-1000 kills. Over 10 days or so. Free to play games love to make you grind and evenually suffer.

And dont forget. Pgi wants you to play the hole weekend to increase the playerbase during the weekend. So a 5 games win challenge wouldnt be nice for pgi

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 28 February 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#17 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 28 February 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

"A Battletech game".

I'm seeing so many idiotic matches today.... that really I'm wondering what this gamestyle has to do with battletech.

Quite normal in a kill-stealing weekend, but everyday rule with steam coming :D

Quite sure I'm going to drop with my unit only, if this will be the trend of common pug matches....
Actually these contest show the problem of MWO: it is shallow.Battletech is about battlefield and a kind of mid-to-large warfare which include objectives. MWO on the other hand is always an "arena" match which is more or less a deathmatch. Objectives are secondary at best.

#18 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 28 February 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

Actually these contest show the problem of MWO: it is shallow.Battletech is about battlefield and a kind of mid-to-large warfare which include objectives. MWO on the other hand is always an "arena" match which is more or less a deathmatch. Objectives are secondary at best.

QFT.

Anyway unit/group drops are less crazy brainless.
But, puglandia is ok as goldmine: my adder to sold is coming fast :P

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 28 February 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:

Hello fellow Mechwarriors,

I came to play and have fun and relax in MWO today, as always.

Found pug behavior (i don't like playing in groups. My bad, i know ;)) to be even more toxic than usual during a challenge: LRMs everywhere, people dissing each other, suicide runs.

In the meanwhile, I'll play something else. And one day on one of these occasions I might play something I enjoy more than MWO, and never come back (if you get what I mean).

At least get the 3 points and log off to bank the 3 Day Premium Time. It is worth it.

#20 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 28 February 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

I remember Warthunder giving away premium planes which are compared to mwo actually even cheaper. You had to do 600-1000 kills. Over 10 days or so. Free to play games love to make you grind and evenually suffer.

And dont forget. Pgi wants you to play the hole weekend to increase the playerbase during the weekend. So a 5 games win challenge wouldnt be nice for pgi

Pretty clear that PGI wants to increase player base, preferring a "quantity" over "quality" game.

And I must admit, in weekends like this one, I can see why Vassago plays group/unit drops only...

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 28 February 2015 - 04:39 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users