Cw Being Ruined...

558 replies to this topic

#61 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

While you don't necessarily have to be in a unit per se, hopping on to your faction's Teamspeak hub and doing a quick LFG works wonders for your pugging experience.

Most, if not all, of the factions here have their Teamspeak hub server stickied to the top of their respective sub-forums.

Of course, bringing mechs that actually work and contributing more than 200 damage to your team's effort also works wonders for your pugging experience. Just saying.

#62 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostRedoxin, on 29 March 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

I agree here, premade vs pug is lame. What I dont get is why so many people like playing in groups. The few games I was grouped with a premade and we stomped them it was boring as ****. The solo grp vs solo grp games were so much more fun.
When I watched the stream of some CW group I even heard them say "hopefully it is a stomp". I just dont get how people can enjoy such non-competetive gaming no matter if on the pug or the premade side..

Because too many people out there care only about winning. These are the same types who download a Magic decklist, buy all the cards, and play it to stomp newbs at drafts and prereleases while acting like they are some sort of "superior player" for using somebody else's idea and then simply spending a bunch of money to copy it. This is followed up by avoiding as many real opponents and actual challenges as possible, which I guess is the new definition of "skilled" and "elite." No different than buying a pile of mechs with cash, copying the meta-builds, and then using your 12-man to seal club random PUG's in CW. It's a joke, and I'm surprised players like that can fit their egos in their mechs.

Imagine if this type of crap went on in football; we'd have self-declared "elite" teams beating up a mix of random fans chosen from the audience led by a few people who may have played football back in high school. And we'd be expected to believe that a game like that is a "true test of skill" and is somehow worth playing for either side. An idiotic concept like that wouldn't make it out of drunken Friday afternoon meeting, but comparable nonsense is everywhere in the gaming world since tools tend to flock together and defend their disgraceful behavior... while everyone else just leaves... as we're seeing in CW right now.

#63 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 29 March 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Because too many people out there care only about winning. These are the same types who download a Magic decklist, buy all the cards, and play it to stomp newbs at drafts and prereleases while acting like they are some sort of "superior player" for using somebody else's idea and then simply spending a bunch of money to copy it. This is followed up by avoiding as many real opponents and actual challenges as possible, which I guess is the new definition of "skilled" and "elite." No different than buying a pile of mechs with cash, copying the meta-builds, and then using your 12-man to seal club random PUG's in CW. It's a joke, and I'm surprised players like that can fit their egos in their mechs.

Imagine if this type of crap went on in football; we'd have self-declared "elite" teams beating up a mix of random fans chosen from the audience led by a few people who may have played football back in high school. And we'd be expected to believe that a game like that is a "true test of skill" and is somehow worth playing for either side. An idiotic concept like that wouldn't make it out of drunken Friday afternoon meeting, but comparable nonsense is everywhere in the gaming world since tools tend to flock together and defend their disgraceful behavior... while everyone else just leaves... as we're seeing in CW right now.

by and large true, but I also fault pgi primarily. As a game dev, they should KNOW this about human behaviour. \
despite what many think, its why mwll was, and was well on its way to be awesome, bec they understood the player always looking for the edge. They sought to mitigate that, and for the most part were very successful.

#64 Bwelt29

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 28 March 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Well, teams are the community. teams=CW.

Wrong PAYING members are the community. Not mega guilds with 200 plus players, or elite E-sport players that sink every minute into this game. It is the paying members that contribute in some financial way that keep the lights on at PGI and let this game to be further developed. If they turn out an inferior product then the money goes elsewhere just like in any business. If your paying players are not satisfied with the product you are turning out they invest their time and money else where and then all the free players get to enjoy a free to play game with nothing new. Just saying.

#65 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostPerfectDuck, on 29 March 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

I made some dumb pie charts that are very bad and highly opinionated. They depict what usually causes a player to win in certain games I'm familiar with.

StarCraft2 80% mental abilities - srsly man? like really? :rolleyes:

#66 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostKyp Durron, on 28 March 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

This weekend I was playing CW when we experienced multiple 12 mans, including the all light/all assault combos, among others.

After being in several rounds of this, I noticed comments from some of the guys who were playing CW for their first times saying things like "I think I'll just opt out of this CW thing" and "Is this the way it always goes?"

PGI needs to implement some sort of changes. Something to avoid the light rush in the opening waves, and perhaps limiting groups to less than 12 in CW, or placing larger groups into a different queue. When a 12 man goes up against a team of all pubs, it's a slaughter.

No.
The real solution is make it end game content where one must be end game relevant and be part of a unit. Not to reduce size of units lawls. Pugs should be in the pub queue honing their skills and acquiring the mechs and mods required to become end game relevant.
As CW's is now, it is unrewarding, boring and lacking in showing who the good are from the bad, all I see are first week pugz in trial mechs running around being bad, and the high membership clans just flooding queues winning by numbers as opposed to skill, and they know this to be true some clans prior to cw's glory were being stomped on the regular in 12 man battles...and you know this is fact. Now they all talk as if they were good or something lawls.
Anyhow, I await the day when we get a CW's modeled more like wot where skill is rewarded and being in a unit is a necessity not a luxury. Would like to also see more unit/player control of the strategic movements and the like.

#67 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Tactics are OP, nerf tactics.

#68 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

"These are the same types who download a Magic decklist, buy all the cards, and play it to stomp newbs at drafts and prereleases while acting like they are some sort of "superior player" for using somebody else's idea and then simply spending a bunch of money to copy it. "

^^^ This. The 2 things that are turning me off CW (and CW is the ONLY reason I came to MWO) are:

1) long wait times for drops

2) a bunch of keyboard commandos that get off on stomping inexperienced pugs and then trash-talking them in comms.

#69 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Awesome!
There was so much interest and good sportsmanship this weekend that I hope they have more events like the current "Prove your Allegiance" again and soon. There was zero wait time for me dropping against the Dav Rats!
Way to generate interest in CW!
Good job.

#70 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:21 PM

I take great umbrage over this.
Here with the 3rd Takata Lancers we do not engage in any "pubstomping" or trashtalking. We have a house rule in place against spawncamping (enmies are off limits till their feet hit the deck and they are ready to fight). Earlier on, we had a GB team beaten down to their last few mechs, we offered them one on ones, so they had a chance of getting kills and earning points too.
Everyone else isn't "just leaving" groups like us are staying thank you.

ENOUGH of the anti-group hate brigading people.

#71 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

It's interesting that the people I see using the kind of terms such as 'elite', 'real', 'being superior', and 'egos' are the ones who slam others for what is most important to themselves. Indeed, those who seem to find fault in others for this kind of behavior are the ones most looking for it in their own games and who scream the most when they don't get it.

Speaking as a non-competitive player (I am extremely anti-e-sport for any MWO modes outside of Solaris, as anyone who has followed my posts will know) who is part of an established Unit, I can say that the reason I will stomp -anyone- is because I expect them to do their best in the game, and to expect me to do likewise. I won't give them anything less than my best, because that would be showing disrespect to their abilities and worth as players. If they truly are getting stomped, then it wouldn't be made any better if I 'go easy on them because they just aren't worth my full effort'. Further, the 'stomp' only occurs when one team is so badly outplayed that they -deserve- to be stomped, and should expect and accept such a result from their own performance.

Even if they are beaten, a team that works together will put up a credible fight, and go down doing damage to the enemy team or making a credible swing at the objectives. One that doesn't even do noticeable damage or more than a token attempt at the objectives has clearly either failed to act as a team or chosen extremely poor tactics for the situation, and must accept the blame for such a one-sided outcome.

It has nothing to do with how 'elite', 'superior', or 'real' I am. I could care less about things like that, or where I stand on any leaderboards or stats sheet. None of that is in the least important to anyone with a shred of self-respect. It's all about putting my best performance forwards and expecting the other players with me to do the same. It's about achieving the objectives of the battle, not how many kills I got personally. It's about how well I supported my team, not how well I supported my own ego.

CW is about teamwork, tactics, and objective warfare. If a player isn't willing to be part of all three, then they must either accept that they will very likely fail badly against teams that are organized and willing to do so, and/or that they might be better off in the solo-side of the game with the Public queue.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 29 March 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#72 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostArchSight, on 29 March 2015 - 02:04 AM, said:

OMG, it has to be all about team vs team because a person said so. Now explain to me why there shouldn't be a solo player mode when there is a market out there for it?

*I* did say so, I didn't make up this game's rules. PGI said so and it's their project.

Why should there be a solo player mode when the game was design to interact with a large variety of people both on the same and opposing side? Again, this isn't Pokemon where nor chess where one person decides how the various creatures/pieces are going to deploy. It's 12 different people against 12 other different people (what in the world is "solo player" about that?).

Edited by Novawrecker, 29 March 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#73 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 29 March 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

I take great umbrage over this.
Here with the 3rd Takata Lancers we do not engage in any "pubstomping" or trashtalking. We have a house rule in place against spawncamping (enmies are off limits till their feet hit the deck and they are ready to fight). Earlier on, we had a GB team beaten down to their last few mechs, we offered them one on ones, so they had a chance of getting kills and earning points too.
Everyone else isn't "just leaving" groups like us are staying thank you.

ENOUGH of the anti-group hate brigading people.

Easy there, I don't think the post was aimed at all groups, just the sorts of people who draw groups together for the sake of beating the system. As you yourself said, your groups' honour is the only thing stopping them from spawncamping, and while that's admirable of you, it's not stopping those without the honour to recognise the game mode is broken.

#74 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 29 March 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

IS AC20 turrets... that'll show them little light rushers.

SSRM6 Turrets

#75 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 29 March 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

No need to start splitting hairs... There is a solo queue where you join without a group. Sure you play with a team but you join without one. Solo queue is there for players who wish to drop without a group. Group queue is there so solo players don't have to fight groups and then we have CW.
The reply my previous text got sounded like CW should be changes to better suit pugs because there is a weekend challenge. That is just silly. Sure CW could be made suit pugs better but these changes should not hurt organized groups. The name of the game should be teamwork.

I split the hair's because you said, "there was a game mode created for solo players in mind". My post clarified there isn't one. There is only a solo que in the match maker. That had to be corrected because it wasn't true. There's a difference between having a game mode that caters to solo play instead of group play. It's the design of the mode with the design of the combat mechanics causing a requirement of co-operation to successfully meet the objective.

I don't remember stating CW should be changed to suit pugs. It could be from someone else's post or you thought of it yourself. I remember stating "The game will be far better off if it had game modes that were designed for solo playing. This game has more solo player's then groups and whole 12 premade teams. If the game wants to be successful it should have single player or game modes that cause player's to fight alone". It doesn't specify Community warfare. It's stating that there should be a solo game mode because there is more player's that play solo.

View PostNovawrecker, on 29 March 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

*I* did say so, I didn't make up this game's rules. PGI said so and it's their project.

Why should there be a solo player mode when the game was design to interact with a large variety of people both on the same and opposing side? Again, this isn't Pokemon where nor chess where one person decides how the various creatures/pieces are going to deploy. It's 12 different people against 12 other different people (what in the world is "solo player" about that?).
Yup, PGI said so that's why I said a person instead of specifically saying you said so. You said it was "principally" which is an adverb for acting like a chief. I assume you've meant "in principle". Principles are chosen to be accepted or not accepted. There's no fact that the game wont work if it doesn't follow a specific principle. If that were true it wouldn't be a principle anymore. It's just what PGI said what they were going to do. It doesn't mean they can't change what their doing.

I've already stated why there should be a single player or game modes that cause player's to fight alone. History of all mechwarrior game's catered to solo players with single player which Mechwarrior fans have played. Those MechWarrior fans are still around. The other reason is that their are more solo player drops into a multiplayer team based mode instead of group or full 12 premades. Increasing the quality of the experience of the solo player's that are dropping can keep more player's playing longer instead of concentrating on the lower number of groups and premades. It affects everyone as a individual that includes player's in groups and premades when they are not dropping together.

Edited by ArchSight, 30 March 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#76 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostViges, on 29 March 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

StarCraft2 80% mental abilities - srsly man? like really? :rolleyes:

I never actually played Starcraft 2, I was just a really big fan of watching the GSL back when it was Tasteless, Artosis and Wolf casting. I understand that for average players, a lot of it comes down to rock-paper-scissors and cheesing but at the very top of the competitive scene, players had to know and study their opponents, choose their play-style accordingly and then really try to outwit and out-think their opponents. Truth be told I probably should have put more 'skill' on that pie chart because of the sheer amount of both micromanaging and macro-managing it takes to play but at the time I was lumping all of that under mental ability.

#77 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostArchSight, on 30 March 2015 - 12:21 AM, said:

... their are more solo player drops into a multiplayer team ...

This, by the very definition, makes this a non-solo game. You pretty much set up the point yourself.

#78 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

I'd like to see videos of 12-mans being rude over chat while spawn-camping a PUG team, because out of bundles of recent CW matches, I've never seen it at all. Not one time. And I'm a pretty big turbonerd, I play this game maybe 1/3 of my free-time away from work and sleep.

#79 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

ladies,

I think the event was great- drew hundreds into CW that never tried it, or like me- a 2 year veteran, disgusted with it.

I hope once the weekend event passes, many are still interested in playing. A decent wait time, followed by intense 20-30 minute game play really intrigued me. Honestly, I didn't realize there were two new maps, CW and all info about it was dead to me (I played a dozen drops when it came out, even begged old friends who quit months ago to come back, they left again, I said screw it, PugLife)

Lots of work is still needed, some way to optimize the maps and rid the field of dead mechs, maps need some tweaking saw a couple get stuck here or there...but, Finally I'm seeing potential.
I see myself playing more CW than pugs, if this keeps up.
ELO dropped me into mostly decent players along with the FranticFew who would back shoot, spray weapon fire trying desperately to get one kill.
Mostly good tho', only won a few times, but raked in the cbills/xp for my time spent.
Couple of crappy mechs I used for filler, were rewarded with a share of xp to help finish off that last module etc.
Overall, the event drew me back in, and I'll likely stay...unless it returns to my experience when it first started, with 6-12 man drops of the likes of Lords who spend the entire time taunting and running their yaps.
Smart money tricks solo players into staying. There will always be MORE solo players than squads-

I hope the devs, powers at be read this, instead of expecting us to open twitter accounts and kiss ass in order to be heard.

And lastly, those who think CW should be team only, not for the solo player........just LOOK at all the events in the last couple of months, targeted almost entirely at pug solo ques

Where do you think the money is? yeah...solo players, PGI knows this- accept it, figure out how to make it work...or...brokebackmech

#80 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 29 March 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Easy there, I don't think the post was aimed at all groups, just the sorts of people who draw groups together for the sake of beating the system. As you yourself said, your groups' honour is the only thing stopping them from spawncamping, and while that's admirable of you, it's not stopping those without the honour to recognise the game mode is broken.

True enough, but the anti group rhetoric is getting out of hand.
And I'm getting mighty tired of the same voices spewing it over and over.

"Don't bite your nose off to spite your face" applies to this, and any discussion revolving around people who deliberately solo in a multiplayer environment. Blame is constantly leveled at the "groups" yet the solution to the "problem" seems to be so utterly abhorrent people would rather carry on moaning and vilifying others, rather than just partake themselves.
It's just utterly, totally mad.

Edited by kamiko kross, 30 March 2015 - 03:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users