Petition To Flying Debris: When You Make All New Arts, Please Give Them Giant Final Fantasy/gundam Type Guns:

168 replies to this topic

#101 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

seriously guys forget our differences, we are all here because we want to speak about fixing this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Learn to stay together for a greater good, it's worth it for all of us.

#102 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:06 AM

I am seeing so much old footage of this game, and it looks so much better back then. Even the sounds have more punch to them. What happened?

#103 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Performance happened, or rather a lack thereof. Look at it from this perspective. People with high performance gaming rigs can be pushed to their knees by this game and PGI ist still rooting out performance issues that plague the game since Beta. Unfortunately, bug-fixes don't directly sell, so they have to keep making new Mechs and Maps to keep us players invested into the game.

I wish we didn't live in a world where practices like this are necessary just to stay afloat, but it is what it is...

EDIT:
Not sure about the audio. Maybe the people recording had better encoding? I don't think PGI did a lot of changes in that regard, but it could be they compressed them more heavily to keep the game files small.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 30 March 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#104 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:55 AM

View Poststjobe, on 29 March 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Yup. Just checked my copy of the original TRO:3025. No height listed.

A few interesting things were though:
* "Some 'mechs" are taller and heavier than the Atlas.
* The LRM20 fires four salvos of five missiles since they couldn't fit more than five tubes. How's that for "variable geometry", PGI?

The first and only Atlas - the red glowing menace that "really" did caused fear (i have seen guys running) hat those 5 Missile launchers - in the beginning - it did fire 4 salvos of 5 missiles - and everything was fine at this time.

#105 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

/signed

Assuming I haven't already signed. Then this is a double sign. Ands if not, assume my signature counts twice. I need to stop drinking so much.....

#106 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

Kristov (Uh, Pappy, you mean the BTU that's set for all players of BattleTech )

Sigh!!! So much time has passed in the MechWarrior IP in 20+ years I guess I cannot expect many to remember much at this point. BTU =(BattleTechUniverse League from TT and BattleTech spanned MechWarrior2-MechWarrio3 and closed when MechWarrior4 Vengeance was announced.It was the Largest Planetary League ever for the MechWarrior IP Base enrollment was at 300,000 player during it run and 80,000 active players.

MWL and NBT were born from BTU and PGI even today uses there CW Planetary maps based off of BTU league maps.I know the player figures I was a Admin of this league. I also know the numbers from NBT and MWL,VL,MWA,CBT,P2K,3025,BZ,and many other leagues from this IP's past either being a Admin,owner or being involved in financially supporting them.

But back on topic The reason I pointed out Hawken Vs MWO is Hawken has some unique quality's in there details on the mechs and there weapons.Also there weapons and damage animations are much better than MWO'S splash you blind type weapons and damage animations. Personally I hate the way PGI does animations in MWO its way over the top to much. And it redces the fps way to much also.

But I will still stick with Hawken for there cockpits with functions in the dash itself and no overlaid screens and there mechs detail.I will try to post a video of this.

https://www.playhawk...eos#k5zZda5bj00

https://youtu.be/k5zZda5bj00

You can see the mechs and weapons detail in the video and how much better the weapons and damage animation are compared to MWO'S splash blind you damage animations.

Edited by PappySmurf, 30 March 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#107 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hawken was good for a short time in early beta before they decided to drop the TTK to nothing and turn the game into a CoD clone with power armor. The artwork, however, has always been a strong example of overly cluttered and noisy art direction. Don't be fooled by the overuse of bloom and depth of field.

#108 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

I have to agree that hawken felt largely unimpressive. I registered to one of their CB events and grew bored of it after a few hours. It commited the biggest sin a game about big stompy robots shooting each other could ever commit: The robots felt neither big, nor stompy. And yeah I get they are more like power-armor, but the game certainly wants you to think that there's some power behind the things. But despite higher TTK than the average COD character (at that time), the robots didn't feel heavily armored. It just made the weapons feel weak and unremarkable.

The other thing was that the game lacked any sort of commitment. Die, respawn a second later, get back to exatly where you died in just a few seconds. Point capture or deathmatch feel void of any commitment or deeper tactical play when you kill the same guy with a pea-shooter 15 times and get killed by some other guys pea shooter just as often. Sure i admit, there were some moments that were genuenly interesting with someone trying to ambush us from above and I fire my rocket launcher in just the right angle to impact with an obstacle right next to his escape path, dealing a lot of (relatively speaking) splash damage.

If you want to compare Hawken to something though, take a look at Titanfall. It succeeded in making the big robots feel big and powerful in comparisin to the human players. You also have you Jack of all trades bod, a fast Striker and a super-heavy tank that all have some bulk to them, but the Striker will be able to dash circles around a tank to avoid return fire, the tank will try to cut into your path for a powerful melee attack and the jack will keep its distance, trying to use its weapons at optimum range. it makes them feel unique, despite ther not being that much difference between them (as all can use the same weapons and modules to the same extend, so the prime differences are durability, mobility and melee strengh). Pilots are fairly decently banaced against the titans, as they can jump on them and use a maintenance hatch to destroy internal electronics, destryoing the Titan, but the titan can also use anti-infanty equipment such an infantry and sensor-killing smokefield and a rapid-fire chaingun which is very useful in hitting fast moving targets, but less effective against Titan armor.

From a tactical perspective, both games lack the same degree of agency you see in MWO, but imo Titanfall defenitly trumps Hawken in terms of Robot stompyness. Which of the games you prefer visually is of course debetable, but I think MWO does well in capturing the spirit of the TT material.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 30 March 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#109 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 30 March 2015 - 03:06 AM, said:

I am seeing so much old footage of this game, and it looks so much better back then. Even the sounds have more punch to them. What happened?

Whiny players with Legacy Computers not understanding why the game was running on their Pentiums and 10 year old Soyo Pro Dragons. Supposedly they were withholding their "vast disposable income" from MWO because of it...though one would have to ask, if they had so much disposable income..why were they running Piece of Crap Legacy rigs, still?

#110 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

View Poststjobe, on 29 March 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

The oldest 'mech in the game:

Posted Image

And one of the nicest cockpits:

Posted Image

Just face it. Graphics-wise MWO is top-notch.

Except for that pilot suit texture, yeesh. Upres that thing PGI! Also while we are on that subject, I would pay MC for Urbanmech pajamas on my pilot.

#111 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 March 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Whiny players with Legacy Computers not understanding why the game was running on their Pentiums and 10 year old Soyo Pro Dragons. Supposedly they were withholding their "vast disposable income" from MWO because of it...though one would have to ask, if they had so much disposable income..why were they running Piece of Crap Legacy rigs, still?

I can throw about 20 dollars a month at the game but I can't afford a new graphics card willy-nilly. I want to buy one eventually, but MWO keeps eating into my dispoasable income.

#112 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 30 March 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

Except for that pilot suit texture, yeesh. Upres that thing PGI! Also while we are on that subject, I would pay MC for Urbanmech pajamas on my pilot.

only if they come with fuzzy bunny (or surat, for clans) slippers!!!!!

#113 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 March 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Oh, god, I missed this post entirely the first time through, had to scroll back when you mentioned the locust.

That's badass.

And so would be, one assumes, that HUGE weapons HITBOX. LOL! ;)

#114 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Don't care. You carry a BFG, you should have to carry an easily identifiable BFG hitbox, too.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 30 March 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#115 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostEldagore, on 29 March 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

There are different manufacturers of the same weapon.

HOWEVER, we do not get the variables associated with those different manufacturers.

THEREFORE it logically should be the same weapon model on all mechs, no scaling whatsoever. Basically, we get one single PPC in the game out of a dozen manufacturers, on all the mechs. The pictures with LOLMEGABUSTER should actually be what we get.

EDIT: Or, tiny tiny lolsmall PPC on a Banshee.

Given the current "BALANCE" ****-storm raging across the MWO Forums, now would not be the best time to add more "variables" just because...reasons. ;)

P.S. Besides, more weapons with different specs just get whittled down to the "TOP 3 in each Class" and then the rest get garaged. Same as so many of the original Mechs folks bought so long ago. Keep quirking Mechs, then maybe we can quirk weapons after that. In 3055 perhaps. LOL!

#116 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 30 March 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

Given the current "BALANCE" ****-storm raging across the MWO Forums, now would not be the best time to add more "variables" just because...reasons. ;)

P.S. Besides, more weapons with different specs just get whittled down to the "TOP 3 in each Class" and then the rest get garaged. Same as so many of the original Mechs folks bought so long ago. Keep quirking Mechs, then maybe we can quirk weapons after that. In 3055 perhaps. LOL!

3058-60. at least. Still have much to do in training PGI on how to use the Quirk system well, and look at the whole picture whilst so doing. I often feel the quirks are made in the same void that Scaling is done, where the only concern becomes "how do i make this build uber-barney!", oh 75% rof increase sounds jolly good, look at how fast it mows down non moving mechs in the testing ground....make it so! Oh wait...you mean it's not balanced? :o

#117 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

as it should be. Big gun is big, and as such is a larger target. I see no problem here.

#118 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 30 March 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

as it should be. Big gun is big, and as such is a larger target. I see no problem here.

Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 30 March 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#119 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 30 March 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

I'd throw another $20-$50 at MWO to get the ability to customize my pilot....

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 March 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

The MWO one is still undersized... they'd make it almost the size of the Atlas...

#120 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

bigger guns naow

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users