Petition To Flying Debris: When You Make All New Arts, Please Give Them Giant Final Fantasy/gundam Type Guns:

168 replies to this topic

#81 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Kristov I would bet you 10,000 USD if MWO replaced the pay private matchmaker system WITH A NEW msn GAMMING ZONE CLONE AND MADE THE Matchmaking sytem like MechWarrior4 had with leagues MWO's population would go ballistic with all the new player and options and league websites ETC. just like MechWarro2-4 did.

I'd take that bet too, but I doubt you have the 10k. For starters, the MS Zone is dead and gone and it was a monumental undertaking that was NOT designed around just supporting the MW3/4 games, it was already around before them. I don't think PGI has the resources, money or abilities to make such a thing. Second, you are again relying on THIRD PARTIES to do things, the leagues. Do you have any idea how many people were actually IN those leagues? 10k was about the largest any of them ever got, NBT, I know about those numbers and it was always the largest of the leagues, planetary or just ladder. Some of you really do not have any clue how big the MW playerbase online really was, it was NOT the huge thing some of you imagine, never even close to it. They weren't 100s of thousands of MW2/3/4 players online, it just didn't happen, ever. If there had been 50,000 MW4 players online, MS would have found a way to keep them gaming with a stand alone Zone app, please note, they DID that with some games, MW4 was not one of them, it was not profitable enough to bother with.

And you really need to turn your graphics up or get another video card if you think MW4's textures after MekTek's redo are even remotely close to MWO's, they aren't even in the same country, much less ballpark.

#82 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

View Poststjobe, on 29 March 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

The oldest 'mech in the game:

Posted Image

And one of the nicest cockpits:

Posted Image

Just face it. Graphics-wise MWO is top-notch.

Let's not over sell it. MWO isn't ugly, but it's nowhere near top notch. I doubt many people would even guess it uses the Crysis engine.

#83 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

That cockpit does look nice IF! you looking down but in game it looks like this and it should look more like the cockpit you posted.Without all the overlaid screens everywhere.

Wait what? Are you seriously using a closed beta screenshot to argue from?

You don't think that's a little bit disingenuous?

Posted Image

Especially as I just posted a current screenshot (taken just a few hours ago, actually) one page back:

Posted Image

Also, that screenshot should give you enough to go on to see that your claim that MW4 'mechs were better detailed than MWO's is rather ridiculous. Here's the 'mech you posted, compare it to the one in the Panther cockpit screenshot above:

Posted Image

Nah, no difference, right? :rolleyes:

#84 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 29 March 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Let's not over sell it. MWO isn't ugly, but it's nowhere near top notch. I doubt many people would even guess it uses the Crysis engine.

Fine. Let me qualify my previous statement: "Graphics-wise, MWO is top-notch among 'mech games".

Better?

#85 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

Kristov (If there had been 50,000 MW4 players online, MS would have found a way to keep them gaming)

Trust me I was a MSN Gamming Zone Admin for MechWarrio3-4 until it closed down and I know there were 100,000 +active players on separate IP address playing 20+ leagues a month for 10 years on the Zone's 6 MechWarrior Lobby servers.

At one time BTU=(BattleTechUniverse) for MechWarrior was the largest League at over 80,000 plus registered active players I was a admin of 7 leagues and ran 2 leagues of my own for MechWarrio2-4.People in MWO do not even comprehend how large the TT/BattleTech/MechWarrior/MechAssault IP's were.

And PGI has no Clue how to rebuild this IP back to its glory days and when told they just ignore it like it never happened at all.

Gotta stop living in 2004.

#86 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostEldagore, on 29 March 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

MWO mechs:

the textures are not standard. SOme are still in 1k. Others have some 2k. There is a thread some place in general where some one had a nice chart showing this.

Basically, it was showing current while asking for some 4k for the high end users. Those textures are what makes MWO look like "meh" to one player while it looks like the best thing ever for robots for another. I am also solidly convinced not all graphics cards are displaying things equally, even amongst offerings from Nvidea. IMO, a lot of players have tweeked their rigs and the game shows it's potential to some and others are missing it.
assuming you haven't made any tweaks nor driver settings changes, the game looks the same. My old AMD 7850 looks exactly like Lordreds screenshots, for example.

And my system just saw a full reinstall, and has absolutely zero custom changes.

You can use sweetfx to change the colors and whatnot, but the textures displayed are the same assuming the same settings and possibly non-garbage laptop display adapters with too little vram.

Not all the mechs have the same texture resolution, but a 2k texture mech is a 2k texture mech for everyone.

#87 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

I wholely support this effort to get PGI to reverse this epic eff-up of the modeling.

But guys -
COMPLAINING ABOUT IT IN HERE WILL DO NOTHING!

This is PGI's steam and rage release safe room. Complaining in here hides it from the wider general public / market / potential customers.

You want this looked at? Paste the ugly mechs on their Facebook page. Twitter. Etc.

/psa

Edited by Hillslam, 29 March 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#88 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

View Poststjobe, on 29 March 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

The oldest 'mech in the game:

Posted Image

And one of the nicest cockpits:

Posted Image

Just face it. Graphics-wise MWO is top-notch.

IDK dude, this latter day Mektek mech is pretty cutting edge!
Posted Image
and this one
Posted Image
and this
Posted Image
SMH

#89 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

MW4 looks awesome and nostalgia doth bloom. However after playing again after 10-15 years, I laughed more than I played.

#90 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

I believe in putting armor on my weapon systems.

Bring back big guns.

#91 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Also,
Bishop you just love to play twist the truth I guess you just had a bad childhood.I said Some of the Mektek mech designs and graphics were almost as good as MWO mechs and that was back in 2009? DUDE its 2015 MWO mechs should be a bit more detailed. And the cockpits should be a bit more realistic with integrated functions in the dash assembly's not overlaid screens.
-----------------
Eldagore is probably right the Game Optimizations up until a few months ago were very unstable so it might be just differences in video cards computers and drivers.
I haven't seen so much goal post moving as you do in a thread since... Well, I don't think I have. So, props for that, I guess.

#92 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 March 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

well, in this case, because I am using light mechs as an example, so bringing up Assault Jock stupidity would be somewhat out of context.

As for MEdiums? We are the few, the proud, the enlightened. We understand the game as it SHOULD be. ;) :ph34r:
(jk....jk....keeps you panties unbunched folks!)

Mediums OP! Nerf!

#93 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

Aw come on B, our mechs aren't using long barreled, high velocity, high accuracy tank guns...they wouldn't be viable on an upright anthropomorphic mech...we have snub nosed, short-barreled guns for good reason. Plus, the caliber of gun used look small on a 15m tall weapons platform.

And energy weapons just don't need super long barrels, no real benefit for the trade-offs inherent in long barrels.

Edited by CocoaJin, 29 March 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#94 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 29 March 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

That IS a fair and valid point, PGI doesn't push the engine, but again, this goes back to the CB and people complaining that it was pushing their systems TOO much. There are a majority of people playing this game on systems that do not support it at all, much less at the high end specs really needed for PGI to push the graphics as far as they could. And I don't mean just your vidcard, this game is very highly CPU reliant, it's an issue with the CryTek engine, always has been, it's even an issue with Star Citizen currently, SLI/Crossfire support is in, but it's got no appreciable effect on performance to date, they've been working on it too, it ain't an easy thing to fix, blame CryTek, like the netcode, it's their fault and others are trying to fix it cause they haven't bothered(Star Citizen also has problems with the netcode, working on it as well).

Uh, Pappy, you mean the BTU that's set for all players of BattleTech TT games, which also has a section, hardly used I might add, for the MW video games? 80k people on that, sorta low really I would think, I'm sure there's a lot more people out there that actually love and still play BTech and the video games. MW2 and it's sequels sold over $70m dollars worth after all, MW3 was ok on sales, enough for MS to do MW4 a year later and it supposedly had the most sales including it's sequels/add on packs, and I know that the Zone had around 100,000 unique MW4 players, but unique just means a seperate login, many people had multiple logins however, rather common due to leagues or getting themselves banned(happened a lot). 80k playing a MW video game league, no, that didn't happen, 10k was the largest NBT ever recorded, and it was the largest of the MW leagues, it even covered MegaMek players, so that 10k wasn't JUST MW video gamers. Funny, there's another person who claims they worked for the Zone who said there were millions of MW4 players. You guys might want to get together and compare notes for future reference, yeah?

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 29 March 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Aw come on B, are mechs aren't using long barreled, high velocity, high accuracy tank guns...they wouldn't be viable on an upright anthropomorphic mech...we have snub nosed, short-barreled guns for good reason. Plus,the caliber of gun add sold look small on a 15m tall weapons platform.

And energy weapons just don't need super long barrels, no real benefit for the trade-offs inherent in long barrels.

sure they is.

Most important one of all: They look cooler. B)

#96 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 March 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

That IS a fair and valid point, PGI doesn't push the engine, but again, this goes back to the CB and people complaining that it was pushing their systems TOO much. There are a majority of people playing this game on systems that do not support it at all, much less at the high end specs really needed for PGI to push the graphics as far as they could. And I don't mean just your vidcard, this game is very highly CPU reliant, it's an issue with the CryTek engine, always has been, it's even an issue with Star Citizen currently, SLI/Crossfire support is in, but it's got no appreciable effect on performance to date, they've been working on it too, it ain't an easy thing to fix, blame CryTek, like the netcode, it's their fault and others are trying to fix it cause they haven't bothered(Star Citizen also has problems with the netcode, working on it as well).

Uh, Pappy, you mean the BTU that's set for all players of BattleTech TT games, which also has a section, hardly used I might add, for the MW video games? 80k people on that, sorta low really I would think, I'm sure there's a lot more people out there that actually love and still play BTech and the video games. MW2 and it's sequels sold over $70m dollars worth after all, MW3 was ok on sales, enough for MS to do MW4 a year later and it supposedly had the most sales including it's sequels/add on packs, and I know that the Zone had around 100,000 unique MW4 players, but unique just means a seperate login, many people had multiple logins however, rather common due to leagues or getting themselves banned(happened a lot). 80k playing a MW video game league, no, that didn't happen, 10k was the largest NBT ever recorded, and it was the largest of the MW leagues, it even covered MegaMek players, so that 10k wasn't JUST MW video gamers. Funny, there's another person who claims they worked for the Zone who said there were millions of MW4 players. You guys might want to get together and compare notes for future reference, yeah?

apparently, it's much easier to simply speak out of one's sphincter, lol.

#97 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 March 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

apparently, it's much easier to simply speak out of one's sphincter, lol.

Well, I won't go QUITE that far, the Clan Trueborn in me, we don't like to be that direct ;)

I am sure he was just mixing up the number of MW4 drops played on the Zone over the course of 10 years with the number of actual players, quiaff?

And I am sure he was just trying to point out that there is a small and hardcore group of BattleTech lovers who use the BTU site to coordinate their games, quiaff?

Surely, any miscommunications were entirely on our end, we simply did not understand what was told to us, quiaff?

Couple of years playing the Loremaster of a Clan, these things, they stick with one, and come in rather handy in the real world when one is the head of a department and needs to tell the CEO just what kind of silly fool they are and how they can go away, without ever saying anything that can be pointed out as an insult, demeaning, or derogatory in any way, all while being extremely polite and keeping a straight face.

I highly recommend it for anyone who needs these skills, customer service, management et al, OH so awesome to have at hand! No contractions, it shows proper respect for the language and the art of communication and it makes one think before one opens one's mouth. No direct insults, that is crass and demeaning to both you and your opponent. No vulgar language, proper respect of the language and art of communication is very important after all, and it keeps one from saying what one really feels and getting fired on the spot, or punched, or both at the same time.

#98 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 March 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Well, I won't go QUITE that far, the Clan Trueborn in me, we don't like to be that direct ;)

I am sure he was just mixing up the number of MW4 drops played on the Zone over the course of 10 years with the number of actual players, quiaff?

And I am sure he was just trying to point out that there is a small and hardcore group of BattleTech lovers who use the BTU site to coordinate their games, quiaff?

Surely, any miscommunications were entirely on our end, we simply did not understand what was told to us, quiaff?

Couple of years playing the Loremaster of a Clan, these things, they stick with one, and come in rather handy in the real world when one is the head of a department and needs to tell the CEO just what kind of silly fool they are and how they can go away, without ever saying anything that can be pointed out as an insult, demeaning, or derogatory in any way, all while being extremely polite and keeping a straight face.

I highly recommend it for anyone who needs these skills, customer service, management et al, OH so awesome to have at hand! No contractions, it shows proper respect for the language and the art of communication and it makes one think before one opens one's mouth. No direct insults, that is crass and demeaning to both you and your opponent. No vulgar language, proper respect of the language and art of communication is very important after all, and it keeps one from saying what one really feels and getting fired on the spot, or punched, or both at the same time.

Mmmmmm. Much wisdom to be gleaned from this post.

#99 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

The thing is....anyone putting a 7 ton ppc on a 35 ton or less mech should know full well what that gun is gonna look like.. it damn well SHOULD be ridiculous looking and OTT.

That's half the point of even doing so in the first place.

Giving every other mech Weeny Guns so the lights don't feel so bad about their small jimmies....that's not fair. And it sure as hell isn't going to sell mechs.

#100 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

View PostMavairo, on 29 March 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

The thing is....anyone putting a 7 ton ppc on a 35 ton or less mech should know full well what that gun is gonna look like.. it damn well SHOULD be ridiculous looking and OTT.

That's half the point of even doing so in the first place.

Giving every other mech Weeny Guns so the lights don't feel so bad about their small jimmies....that's not fair. And it sure as hell isn't going to sell mechs.

kind of the point of the post, yes?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users