Petition To Flying Debris: When You Make All New Arts, Please Give Them Giant Final Fantasy/gundam Type Guns:

168 replies to this topic

#61 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

The looks of the Hawken bots was just something I didn't get into, they look like walking heaps of trash, not like precision instruments of death and destruction.

Kristov I agree the Hawken mech designs could have been more sleek and cool.But dam dude you have to agree there level of detail and realistic looking weapons and cockpit design it awesome.Plus the game is now more like playing MWO with way better game modes.

Sadly, love it or hate it, Hawken has pretty much always been leaps ahead of MWO. Content, presentation, execution were all significantly better over there. The game modes, from what little I played of them, were also more interesting in my mind. Still, I didn't get very into the game, not really sure why but I just was never really hooked by it. Maybe because I had already been in MWO for a long time.

I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between the size of Hawkens dev team and MWO's, but I'm reasonably sure at the very least that Hawken was a much better funded game. It got quite a bit of backing. And without the need to sell yellow skins for 500 bucks too..

Edited by Quxudica, 29 March 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#62 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Well Kristov go see for yourself after the last 6 months of Hawken patches yes the maps and mechs do look that detailed in game.And I have been a TT/Battletech/MechWarrior fan/player for 20+ years.And you right the original MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries mechs were not that detailed but the re-done mechs by Mektek were just as detailed as MWO mechs and that wasback in 2004-2009.

Flying dude should know he was a Mektek guy

Posted Image

Edited by PappySmurf, 29 March 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#63 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

Quxudica, they actually didn't do all that well, the game DIED and someone else has taken it over, might want to look up the new owners...lets just say...they aren't well known for their great games, just for buying them and killing them.

Pappy, you need to look at that pic you posted again. That is NOT a highly detailed model, that's a textured model missing most of the physical pieces in that other gray bot pic. That ground it's standing on and the walls behind it, flat, no details, that's just textures on the skins. That's how a lot of games do things btw, simple models with very detailed textures that MIMIC physical details, they don't actually exist. We even see it in MWO *gasp* in the landscapes and Mechs.

My models I made in 3d, I didn't make skins, I made the details as physical objects and simply set them to specific colors, extra graphics, like artwork, unit numbers, etc, were either special skins I made for specific pieces OF the Mech or I simply added them in during post processing, depending on what I was going for and where it was put on the Mech. Something big and complicated, like nose art stuff, I did post processing, it can be a royal pain to get a piece of artwork that stretches over 50 different pieces of a Mech to come out right when each piece is its own seperate entity.

#64 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

I think MWO 'mechs are plenty detailed. Remember, they're over twice as big as those Hawken mechas:

Posted Image

#65 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Another light fanatic here and I most certainly want huge guns on my lights. No one takes me seriously in my 2 PPC Jenner anymore! (Until I fire that is ;))

#66 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 March 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Quxudica, they actually didn't do all that well, the game DIED and someone else has taken it over, might want to look up the new owners...lets just say...they aren't well known for their great games, just for buying them and killing them.

Ah really? Well that's a shame. It's been a long time since I bothered with Hawken so I have no idea what it's like now. Still at the time I did check in they were certainly ahead of the curve in a lot of areas compared to MWO at the same time.

#67 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Quxudica IF! we could take MWO and mix in Hawkens good parts it would be fantastic.

But sadly MWO & Hawken suffer the same Social inept problems(no Social chat lobbys and player interaction) that MechWarrior2-MechWarrio4 had mastered long ago.

----------------------------------------
STjobe MWO mechs look good in the mechlab but they sure don't look like that picture in game? and I run 1600x900 on high full settings?

Edited by PappySmurf, 29 March 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#68 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 29 March 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

Ah really? Well that's a shame. It's been a long time since I bothered with Hawken so I have no idea what it's like now. Still at the time I did check in they were certainly ahead of the curve in a lot of areas compared to MWO at the same time.

Oh, they came out of the gate swinging, no two ways about that, HUGE PR budget and they spent it well. Sadly, the game just wasn't that good, so no one spent any money on it and it died. Hawken was stompy robot CoD, and that's just really not a good way to go about it.

#69 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hawken was stompy robot CoD, and that's just really not a good way to go about it.

Kristov DUDE lol Hawken is not like that now it is just like playing MWO with better game modes and it is not dead I play it all the time and there is a lot of players playing it now

#70 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

Quxudica IF! we could take MWO and mix in Hawkens good parts it would be fantastic.

But sadly MWO & Hawken suffer the same Social inept problems(no Social chat lobbys and player interaction) that MechWarrior2-MechWarrio4 had mastered long ago.

It's not just these games. A lot of games have steadily filtered out what used to be standard community options.

I cannot adequately describe in words how much I detest only having random matchmaking and not being allowed to create my own game rooms. It's so much more fun, and a lot easier, to engender a community when people can decide for themselves how long they wish to play together. Jump in a lobby, weed out bad apples with vote kick if it was even neccisary and potentially spend all night with roughly the same people. With matchmaker you may never see the same group of people again. Bleh.

Once upon a time I viewed random matchmakers to be the domain of console titles, not something you'd see in real gaming on pc. /sigh.

#71 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Once upon a time I viewed random matchmakers to be the domain of console titles, not something you'd see in real gaming on pc. /sigh.

YA dude I totally agree with you.MWO could have been MechWarrior4 on steroids with Hawken detail + so much more.But people with limited vision should stick to making fishing games.No insult intended PGI devs should have paid Gabe Newel to design MWO.

#72 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

STjobe MWO mechs look good in the mechlab but they sure don't look like that picture in game? and I run 1600x900 on high full settings?

You know what? I think they do:

Posted Image

(Sorry for the picture composition, just snapped a screenshot while fighting)

#73 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hawken was stompy robot CoD, and that's just really not a good way to go about it.

Kristov DUDE lol Hawken is not like that now it is just like playing MWO with better game modes and it is not dead I play it all the time and there is a lot of players playing it now

No offense, but you seem to also think those models are super high detail, so I'm gonna go with my initial impressions of Hawken. I'm aware another company is currently working on it, I'm also aware of their track record, so I'm good without trying Hawken again. The story and the game play just doesn't appeal to me, and that actually matters to me. CoD has great gameplay, I mean it wouldn't be such a HUGE seller if it didn't, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't appeal to ME except for the Zombie mode.

Quxudica, game lobbies like MW...uhm, NONE of the MW titles actually had those things, you do realize this right? Those were all done via 3rd party software, Kali, GameSpy, the MS Zone, not the games themselves. That's why MW3 and MW4 are pretty much DOA for online play, they don't HAVE anything like that built in, it's why MekTek couldn't make the free version of MW4 with it's prettier textures live for long, there's nothing in the GAME that does that.

I'm trying to think of a game that does that natively and I'm drawing a blank. Oh, League of Legends has it. And drawing a blank again...sorry, I'm not just aware of a lot of games that do this natively. MMOs usually have a chat system, but that would be about the closest thing, and MWO is getting that in play, we've got the Faction chat for CW, which is a start. But the actual Lobbies and all, yeah, never been in a single MW game natively.

#74 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 March 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Quxudica, game lobbies like MW...uhm, NONE of the MW titles actually had those things, you do realize this right? Those were all done via 3rd party software, Kali, GameSpy, the MS Zone, not the games themselves. That's why MW3 and MW4 are pretty much DOA for online play, they don't HAVE anything like that built in, it's why MekTek couldn't make the free version of MW4 with it's prettier textures live for long, there's nothing in the GAME that does that.

I'm trying to think of a game that does that natively and I'm drawing a blank. Oh, League of Legends has it. And drawing a blank again...sorry, I'm not just aware of a lot of games that do this natively. MMOs usually have a chat system, but that would be about the closest thing, and MWO is getting that in play, we've got the Faction chat for CW, which is a start. But the actual Lobbies and all, yeah, never been in a single MW game natively.

I honestly have no idea if other Mechwarrior games had dedicated servers or user lobbies as I never played those games online. However almost every shooter dating back to even the late 90s had such systems. Hell I played games on my PS2 that had dedicated servers and user creatable game lobbies, some even had official house rules systems the host could set up. Hell the original Battle.net, as janky as it was, had them for Diablo 1.

I think my first real run in with pure random match maker was Halo 2, and I've detested it ever since.

#75 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Wut? Mektek's mechs didn't look half as good as MWO'S. You want to make an assertion like that, you post the screenshots to prove it.

And, yeah, MWO mechs look exactly the same on the field as they do in the mechlab (color filters for some worlds notwithstanding).

#76 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 29 March 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

After my centurian hit that with its ac 20 the clean up would have to be done with a vacuume.

so many shell traps.....

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

----------------------------------------

LordRed's Perfect screenshot thread pretty much says otherwise.
http://mwomercs.com/...eenshot-thread/

#78 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 29 March 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Stjobe that snapshot looks good but it is one of the newer mech a lot of the older mechs and weapons just look weird to me but I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. But I think the cockpits could use some more detail and layout along with some of the plainer mechs being redone and detailed more.

The oldest 'mech in the game:

Posted Image

And one of the nicest cockpits:

Posted Image

Just face it. Graphics-wise MWO is top-notch.

#79 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Wintersdark if you have the last Mektek mod installed like I do and go over to GameRanger and play and take some screens of some of the mechs you will see there very close to what the early MWO mechs look like Of course the Mektek mech designs and details were ahead of there time graphics wise so with all the new computers and video cards they look a lot better than they did back in 2009.

Next time Iam over playing MechWarrir4 on gameRanger I will get some screens of a few versions of flying dudes mechs.

#80 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

MWO mechs:

the textures are not standard. SOme are still in 1k. Others have some 2k. There is a thread some place in general where some one had a nice chart showing this.

Basically, it was showing current while asking for some 4k for the high end users. Those textures are what makes MWO look like "meh" to one player while it looks like the best thing ever for robots for another. I am also solidly convinced not all graphics cards are displaying things equally, even amongst offerings from Nvidea. IMO, a lot of players have tweeked their rigs and the game shows it's potential to some and others are missing it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users