Does Pgi Not Want Other Clan Mechs To Be Playable?

169 replies to this topic

#21 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostcSand, on 07 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Everyone so concerned with quirks and tiers and meta gaming they forget how to actually pilot a mech
SAD TIMES

Really?? So far everytime I've you on the other team I wreck you....Did you are really just go there?

Got it, bad mechs stay bad in your world......

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

If you have a defeatist attitude, then you will always be defeated.
If you can't shield with the left side, then that's a pilot issue - not a Summoner issue.
It's a 93kph 70T mech, the Prime variant has +30% Acceleration and Deceleration rate (pretty huge numbers)
It's easily one of the most agile heavy mechs in the game, if not the most and it easily keeps pace with many upper tonned mediums.

Do you not pay much attention to the forums?? There are 100s of posts and a few threads dedicated to the multitude of issues with the Summoner.

30% means nothing on a 70t mech with a heavy movement type, yes its not really agile when you look at the facts. It needs to be a medium(like the CTF) movement type but that damn PGI thought process that height determines movement type.....Minor quirks still wont resolve its cockpit to arm location when aiming. Example: on Thema, if you are located in F6(I think) and you are shooting across the way with the boxes underneath and to the left of your cross hairs, your left arm mounted weapons will still hit the boxes due to the cockpit location. If you wanted to only reveal your left arm, you cant aim because of the pillar blocking your view.

The inherit flaws of the mech require the quirks to be a bit over tuned.

Edited by mogs01gt, 07 April 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#22 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 07 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

30% means nothing on a 70t mech with a heavy movement type, yes its not really agile when you look at the facts..

You want facts?

<Archetype Type="Medium"
MinClimbAngle = "30.0"
MaxClimbAngle = "45.0"
CapsuleRadius="5.0"
CapsuleLength="3.75"
CapsuleGroundHeight="2.25" />

<Archetype Type="Large"
MinClimbAngle = "25.0"
MaxClimbAngle = "45.0"
CapsuleRadius="6.0"
CapsuleLength="2.25"
CapsuleGroundHeight="2.5" />

This is the difference.

A slightly larger capsule radius.

A slightly smaller capsule length.

5 degrees less min climb angle.

It travels 93kph, it has huge accel/deccel quirks, it has 5 jump jets.

5 degrees of min climb angle isn't a problem.

#23 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 07 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

Really?? So far everytime I've you on the other team I wreck you....Did you are really just go there?

:lol:

oh, you

Every time eh?

:lol:

#24 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 April 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

Correction, it has 5 HoverJets™.

One of the issues.

#25 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 April 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

Correction, it has 5 HoverJets™.

One of the issues.

Sure JJs need fixing, but the Summoner is one of the few mechs in the game that can actually poptart well.

The accel/deccel bonuses actually work well for that.

The Summoner has low slung arms, it has sparse hardpoints - these are real issues.

Agility is not one of it's issues.

#26 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 April 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Could always just nerf those two. And there you go. More reason to play your Summoner.

The one thing that should have done at the entire beginning of balance. But some were not willing to do this.

Everyone so concerned with quirks and tiers and meta gaming they forget how to actually pilot a mech

SAD TIMES

Piloting a mech is one thing, knowing that you bring trash in comparison is another. Why should one constantly want to gimp himself with a bad mech?

#27 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

I don't know why PGI has not unlocked JJ's and allowed us to upgrade to ES yet. That would definitely help the non holy trinity mechs be somewhat competitive so there would be more clan diversity. I guess they want us to just play those 3 mechs and thats it! The quirks are just not getting it done they don't have ANY meaningful impact on the combat performance of those mechs.

#28 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 April 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

You want facts?

<Archetype Type="Medium"
MinClimbAngle = "30.0"
MaxClimbAngle = "45.0"
CapsuleRadius="5.0"
CapsuleLength="3.75"
CapsuleGroundHeight="2.25" />

<Archetype Type="Large"
MinClimbAngle = "25.0"
MaxClimbAngle = "45.0"
CapsuleRadius="6.0"
CapsuleLength="2.25"
CapsuleGroundHeight="2.5" />

This is the difference.

A slightly larger capsule radius.

A slightly smaller capsule length.

5 degrees less min climb angle.

don't use facts, facts destroy people's perception.

#29 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:31 AM

I doubt they want them to be bad. It's a game, and every game ends up with things that just aren't good and leave the developers with the issue of pleasing whatever small number of fans those things have, or developing new content that might please everyone. PGI (like most companies) chooses the later because it makes more business sense.

Also, the Nova isn't bad. It's not great, but it isn't bad. It performs marvelously in its niche (being a 50 ton mech than can nuke down nearly anything else on the field). I honestly wish we had more mechs like the Nova. Not every mech has to be a superb all rounder like the Timber or the Tbolt. Mech's like the Nova and Atlas D-DC might not be amazingly awesome, but they all do something really well and in that thing they will always have some kind of use.

#30 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

View PostLord0fHats, on 10 April 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

I doubt they want them to be bad. It's a game, and every game ends up with things that just aren't good and leave the developers with the issue of pleasing whatever small number of fans those things have, or developing new content that might please everyone. PGI (like most companies) chooses the later because it makes more business sense.

Also, the Nova isn't bad. It's not great, but it isn't bad. It performs marvelously in its niche (being a 50 ton mech than can nuke down nearly anything else on the field). I honestly wish we had more mechs like the Nova. Not every mech has to be a superb all rounder like the Timber or the Tbolt. Mech's like the Nova and Atlas D-DC might not be amazingly awesome, but they all do something really well and in that thing they will always have some kind of use.

The Porblem is you need only one mech being the superb all arounder and suddenly all the others will be outclassed. But its hard with the TT legacy to put mechs in specific niches. Especially with how pug and group queue works, specialsied mechs have trouble with randomness determining their usefulness.

#31 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

If the timby and crow where nerfed off the bat, we probably wouldn't have quirks on every single chasis, just the ones that are inherently bad designs.

Also the only thing the summoner had going for it was it's agility and ability to roll dmg and last. Quirks that add to that are a waste.

#32 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 10 April 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:

The Porblem is you need only one mech being the superb all arounder and suddenly all the others will be outclassed. But its hard with the TT legacy to put mechs in specific niches. Especially with how pug and group queue works, specialsied mechs have trouble with randomness determining their usefulness.

Agreed and thats one of the long standing issues with the public que (but then again, I'm biased cause I want public que destroyed :rolleyes: )

#33 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

If you have a defeatist attitude, then you will always be defeated.

If you can't shield with the left side, then that's a pilot issue - not a Summoner issue.

The issue is that guass will kill the mech because CASE is bugged with guass explosions.

#34 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 10 April 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

The issue is that guass will kill the mech because CASE is bugged with guass explosions.

Fixed next patch.

#35 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:17 AM

Out of interest, most Clan mechs are always described as 'underperforming' - what are we comparing them to here?

Next to the Timber Wolf and Storm Crow, sure. The Summoner and Nova are underperformers. Next to any IS heavy except the Thunderbolt, does the Summoner really perform that badly? Honest question - only piloted one once.

It strikes me that before Clans were released, a CTF-3D with 4 Mlas, an AC/20 and JJ was a dangerous build. The Summoner can run that with 7 damage, 450m range MLas and 93kph speed. That's a pretty devastating build on paper, so what's stopping it from performing?

Edited by RavensScar, 11 April 2015 - 03:18 AM.

#36 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 April 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Could always just nerf those two. And there you go. More reason to play your Summoner.

and thus all Clans mech would be inferior to quirked IS Mech. Just like it was the case with the PPCBolt.

View PostRavensScar, on 11 April 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

Out of interest, most Clan mechs are always described as 'underperforming' - what are we comparing them to here?

Next to the Timber Wolf and Storm Crow, sure. The Summoner and Nova are underperformers. Next to any IS heavy except the Thunderbolt, does the Summoner really perform that badly? Honest question - only piloted one once.

It strikes me that before Clans were released, a CTF-3D with 4 Mlas, an AC/20 and JJ was a dangerous build. The Summoner can run that with 7 damage, 450m range MLas and 93kph speed. That's a pretty devastating build on paper, so what's stopping it from performing?

Clans Mech are harder to handle, but some really suck against all kind of mech. The Summoner is one of them. It can't handle his own heat even with only 2 weapon... Ironicly, that mech was famous because he could never overheat in the lore.

Edited by KuroNyra, 11 April 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#37 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:26 AM

The Summoner and Nova are underperformers.

My breakdown of clan mechs;

Top Performers

Timber; Probably OP, but I'm not really sure what can be done about it at this point without completely screwing it (which I don't want) or completely screwing the entire game balance (which no one should want).

Stormcrow; Probably OP, but again, not sure what to do about it. This thing is tanky as hell and loaded with firepower and it's freakishly fast for the tank and firepower it's toting.

Dire Wolf; I honestly think this mech is overrated. Yes. It brings a gak ton of dakka. But it is so freaking slow. It might dominate in PUG matches, but PUG matches are a cluster feth so who cares? Game balance shouldn't revolve around cluster feths. In actual comp games, it's just too slow. It doesn't twist well. It's huge and can't hug cover at all with its low hard points. It just imposes to many limitations on a team and a player. If a good plan is made it can work, but it's more work than just bringing a Stalker or a Banshee to the fight.

Hellbringer; I honestly believe the Hellbringer to be one of the most well balanced mechs in the game. Well balanced hard points, hit boxes, pod space, weight, etc. I play it and I just think "well PGI, you finally made something just right." It performs well in its role as a cover hugger with high hard points, or as a front line fire support mech. It brings ECM which is always good. Bit of a twisted lore irony; Screw the Summoner. Two Hellbringers perform really well together. Have one set ECM to disrupt and hang back sniping and the other set ECM to counter and run at the front with some Crows or Timbers and you've got a lethal assault lance. There's a significant amount of innate synergy between the three mechs (Crows, Timbers, and Bringers) that is a real boon to Clan imo.

So-So Mechs

Nova; I don't think the Nova under performs per se. it does what it does really well. It's just that what it does is not generally as good as a more versatile mech like the Stormcrow. Just bringing a Nova cause lul why not, is likely to result in lots of hit and miss performances based on the dynamics of whatever map/team you end up in. That's not a problem with the Nova, but with the structure of PUG que. Nova's perform infinitely better in comp teams where a plan is actually made that suits their use. That said. I do think the Nova could afford being a little faster and it would be an all round good mech imo. It has a wide profile with easy to hit hit boxes and could have afforded being slightly smaller.

Ice Ferret; The Ice Ferret is the only real 'Light Mech' the Clans have right now and it honestly does pretty well. It can twist like a beast, it packs a good punch for its weight, and it's fast as hell. Unfortunately the Ice Ferret has nice bulky legs for shooting at. That said, I think the Ferret doesn't really need any help. If it were to get anything, I'd downgrade its engine so that it can have a little more weight for heat sinks/more flexibility in non-laser load outs.

Kit Fox; Kind of by default the only workable Clan Light (the other two are straight up bad). It performs a lot like a Raven really, only it's significantly slower and doesn't have nice high weapon hard points.

The Maddog (because I forgot it lol); The Maddog has the same issue as the Catapult imo. It isn't that the Maddog is bad, it's that the Maddog is designed to boat a weapon system that isn't very good in current game balance (LRMs). Just too hit and miss to use imo, plus heaven forbid you're using Clan LRM's and anyone on the enemy team has AMS. Be prepared to be worse than mediocre.

The Bad

Warhawk; The Hawk's biggest problem imo is that its hard points are too focused on its arms. This forces a significant limitation on its ability to effectively carry firepower. I know it has people who love it, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it's bad. It can't effectively carry the firepower an assault needs. Throw in it's low slung arms and big barn sized profile, and the Warhawk is honestly just bad. Not just in comparison to a Timber (it's closest in game relative Clan side) but in general. It needs some hard points on it's torsos other than missiles and a single CT energy point to really be good (a little more workable weight wouldn't hut either, switch the Ferro for Endo).

Gargoyle; It's ugly as sin. Less subjectively it has the same problems as the Warhawk (hard points focused on its arms) only its tall as hell with even lower slung hard points. It's honestly a bigger, less armed, and jetless Nova. I see no reason to ever use it with the Nova around. It needs torso hard points.

Summoner; To answer your question "so what's stopping it from performing" the straight answer is horrible hit boxes. Much like the Ferret, the Summoner can really twist its torso, which would be a boon if it's hit boxes weren't so blowupable. It has very limited hard point options and is undergunned for a 70tonner. Taken from MetaMechs, compare This (or This) to This, This, or This. It's outclassed not just by the Hellbringer and Timber, but by a host of IS heavies that can match or exceed its firepower and tankiness. It's just straight up bad. It needs better hitboxes. It needs more hard points to play with.

Mist Lynx; Its arm hit boxes are huge, and all its gear is in its arms. It isn't funny how easily the Mist Lynx is reduced to a weaponless stick.

Adder; Hard locked Flamer (Really PGI? Really?). Its slow. This game has zero need for 'support fire light mechs'. If you want support fire, bring a medium or a heavy. It's just too slow for its armor, especially when it has limited hard points. The Kitfox can at least bring ECM and play the role of poor man's Raven.

The Bad mechs imo, are not just bead because other Clan mechs are better. They're also just straight up bad. The Warhawk is most screwed by Meta. Something that big that can't hill hug is never gonna be that great. Many of the worst Clan mechs also are (for some reason) given very few hard points to work with or hard points in less than stellar locations and have bad hitboxes. These are problems shared by many IS mechs, and are not unique to Clans.

I don't really expect this to be fixed.

Edited by Lord0fHats, 11 April 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#38 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 April 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

Piloting a mech is one thing, knowing that you bring trash in comparison is another. Why should one constantly want to gimp himself with a bad mech?

Why would someone want to play with a "crutch"?

#39 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

Clan AC spread damage oh and by the way that Summoner doesn't carry a single non-hardwired heatsink for lasers that generate 150% of the heat of the IS mlas.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f1497b77570f032

You can add two heatsinks if you lose the TC and cut a 1/2 ton of ammo and 1/2 ton of armor. Note the 33% heat efficiency.

So in short, it will overheat, quickly/
Alpha is frankly crap,
All hitscan
Ammo dependant,

It moves I guess, but the build lacks punch, I'd literally do better with a Wolverine and a similar loadout.

#40 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

SAD TIMES

MWO really doesnt feel like a Mech game, more like CoD in robot suits with really long TTK....or really short, idk....but a Mechwarrior game? hardly.

MW2, 3 and 4 all felt like Mech games. MIssions, campaigns, progression, salvage. Mechcommander series felt like a mech game, salvage, pilot progression, economy, buying, selling mechs......had alot more depth.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users