143 replies to this topic

#61 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

The SMN, VTR, and QKDs except for the 5K have no role in this game then. Because it's the mechanics that make them useless.

The GRF and WVR are semi-useful in the role because they've been quirked up to a level that defeats the mechanics's penalty.

They have no role because YOU can't figure out how to use them properly? Well, hells bells boys, we'd best be packing up and getting on down the road, cause I'll bet dollars to donuts that there are a LOT of Mechs this guy can't use properly, which means they have no role and are useless!

Look man, just because YOU can't get your head around how things work doesn't mean they don't WORK, it just means you aren't doing things right. HUGE difference there, huge. I hated the Raven at first, useless Mech in my eyes, I could NOT make them work for anything. My CO in SRM, LOVES the Ravens, all of them, he can do things with them that is just amazing. Guess what my Light of choice tends to be these days...Raven. Once I figured out HOW it works best, well, what do you know, it IS a good Light Mech, even without JJ, it's a good Light for me. It took ME figuring out how to make ME work with the Mech, not the other way around.

And that is your problem, you are trying to make a Mech do something it's not capable of doing because YOU have a set vision on what you want and you picked a Mech that doesn't do that. You have to look at what the Mech is capable of and build for that. If that means you can't get what you wanted out of the Mech, then you picked the wrong Mech and need to find another one to work with, one that FITS your vision, because you are NOT going to force a Mech to perform in a way it's just not capable of.

#62 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 April 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

We could always use the MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries philosophy to loadout a mech.

Saw a let's play where someone wanted to take a Catapult with LRMs. Since arms were easy to shoot off, he stuck 6 or so launchers in the torsos to better keep the launchers protected. You can see how wrong that is.

In Mechcommander, put whatever you want in a mech. Just drag it in there as long as the tonnage is there, you can run it. You couldn't add JJs (you need a JJ version of the mech and all mechs had a JJ version).

I love MechWarrior Games and Mechcommander, but they did whatever the heck they wanted. I like the "more" TT approach even if it isn't perfect or has quirks or balance issues.
It becomes a Crusader more or less! :huh:

View PostMax Liao, on 09 April 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

Fixed that for you.

I know I'm playing a real time BattleTech game, cause Joe is never out of the cockpit and in a bar starting trouble! ;)

#63 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 09 April 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

The Spider is...what?

Look, if you cannot handle the heat in your brawler build when combined with JJing, MAYBE you should look at the real cause of the issue, YOU. Heat management is part of this game, your personal inability to manage your heat is not a failing or fault in the game, it's a failing or fault in your skill set that YOU can correct.

Instead of correcting this lack of skill, you want the game to remove the JJ heat totally, because..reasons...right?

Again, this game is NOT CoD, stop trying to make it CoD.

Dude, even if I agree with you, your spewing "COD!!!1111111" everywhere is highly hyperbolic at best. Stop it, and leave it for when people want to suggest "instant kill mech knifing to buff lights"

#64 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 April 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

I said it. And I said it cause sniping is a very very precise shot from a stable firing position. Thus Jumping and sniping are oximoronic. They cannot be done together.

You are right. See a MechWarrior, is the person in teh Mech. What do you do outside the Mech? What is your MechWarrior's hobbies? His history?

We are playing realtime BattleTech not MechWarrior.

Alright you win, from now on I will refer to it as "jumpshooting".

At this point you are arguing semantics. MechWarrior is a GAME SERIES of first person nature, that involves big robots from the BattleTech universe BASED LOOSELY on the BattleTech table top game. Why isn't this game called BattleTech Online then?

In any case, you are misunderstanding me if you think I want sweeping changes to go back to the way things were, but saying "you shouldn't shoot in the air because TT" is not applicable to this game.

My only opinion related to JJ heat, is that Class I JJs should be a bit cooler IMO, because they are much worse then all the rest, and perform badly, and weigh more.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#65 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostBurktross, on 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Dude, even if I agree with you, your spewing "COD!!!1111111" everywhere is highly hyperbolic at best. Stop it, and leave it for when people want to suggest "instant kill mech knifing to buff lights"

No, he's completely right. My skill level is why jumpbrawlers are pretty much extinct.

#66 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

**recycled arguments**

I'll leave it to you to explain how all past MechWarrior games followed TT rules to the dot. :rolleyes:

Lore is there for a reason. If you want generic random action mech shooter, Hawken is coming back. Don't get upset when a game toting "A BattleTech Game" tries to incorporate BattleTech elements where possible.

#67 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

At this point you are arguing semantics. MechWarrior is a GAME SERIES of first person nature, that involves big robots from the BattleTech universe BASED LOOSELY on the BattleTech table top game.

In any case, you are misunderstanding me if you think I want sweeping changes to go back to the way things were, but saying "you shouldn't shoot in the air because TT" is not applicable to this game.

My only opinion related to JJ heat, is that Class I JJs should be a bit cooler IMO, because they are much worse then all the rest, and perform badly, and weigh more.
If terminology is semantics then yes I am. And i will continue to do so. It is not applicable because the DEVs have allowed it, I will continue to state my opinion as I see it though Guzzler. ;)

#68 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 09 April 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Lore is there for a reason. If you want generic random action mech shooter, Hawken is coming back. Don't get upset when a game toting "A BattleTech Game" tries to incorporate BattleTech elements where possible.

Oh its possible to implement all of those elements! Do you want them? If I wanted them I would go play table top, but I like the MechWarrior FPS game.

#69 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

No, he's completely right. My skill level is why jumpbrawlers are pretty much extinct.

Agreeing for different reasons, at least. :wacko:

#70 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Alright you win, from now on I will refer to it as "jumpshooting".

At this point you are arguing semantics. MechWarrior is a GAME SERIES of first person nature, that involves big robots from the BattleTech universe BASED LOOSELY on the BattleTech table top game. Why isn't this game called BattleTech Online then?

I like the "loosely" part of that. PGI should actually take that adverb and run with it a little more in several departments.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 09 April 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#71 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 April 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

If terminology is semantics then yes I am. And i will continue to do so. It is not applicable because the DEVs have allowed it, I will continue to state my opinion as I see it though Guzzler. ;)

Yeah I shouldn't have said semantics, I don't know why I did. But like my edit says, I will call it jump shooting from now on. Because you are right, if it was jump sniping, then it would always result in headshots.

Oh, and all MechWarrior devs have allowed it, the only place it isn't allowed is TT. If your opinion is that this MechWarrior game alone should not allow it, then I disagree with your opinion :)

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#72 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostMizeur, on 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

No it was the folks who complained because Jump Sniping was supposed to be OP. Which wasn't ever my argument against the tactic mind you.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Oh its possible to implement all of those elements! Do you want them? If I wanted them I would go play table top, but I like the MechWarrior FPS game.

And if it doesn't stay somewhat true to the TT game, it would not be MechWarrior.

#73 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostBurktross, on 09 April 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Actually...I'd love to be able to knife a Mech, melee would be fantastic, and yeah, you could instakill with melee, so...not a CoD move there. Now, if we got dogtags or something when we did that..yeah, CoD move ;)

Trying to remove the mechanics that make combat MORE than just jumping around and firing, that's trying to make this game like CoD, or Battlefield or Quake or Unreal, take your pick of the FPS genre games where combat consists of nothing but those things. And that's what he's asking for because the heat of using JJ is impacting his ability to DO just that, jump around and fire. Pretty much on target there I think.

And your skill level leaves a LOT to be desired Mizeur if you can't manage to deal with heat so badly that you want it removed.

#74 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Of course not. This is *supposed* to be a BattleTech FPS Shooter (or something along those lines). Obviously that means concessions where necessary, but still in adherence to the lore where possible. This thread is griping about jumpjet heat. Something in lore, now incorporated in the game.

As in all things heat related, if you decide to field a mech that you cannot manage, the fault is on you. Not the game.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

And if it doesn't stay somewhat true to the TT game, it would not be MechWarrior.

Also this.

#75 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

The only time where JJ heat makes the least sense is when you have a sub-250 engine with multiple JJs locked in.

I mean, the Mist Lynx is the greatest example of how one never walks out of Mordor alive.

JJs manage to overheat you... it's a great self-suicidal tool.

I'd still rather have Hoverjets™ be more useful than the Mist Lynx's greatest enemy.

#76 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 09 April 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Of course not. This is *supposed* to be a BattleTech FPS Shooter (or something along those lines). Obviously that means concessions where necessary, but still in adherence to the lore where possible. This thread is griping about jumpjet heat. Something in lore, now incorporated in the game.

As in all things heat related, if you decide to field a mech that you cannot manage, the fault is on you. Not the game.

Also this.

Okay yeah I think you and I have crossed arguments with someone else, because I agree with JJ heat (just think Class I JJs have too much for how they perform), and I don't have a problem managing heat.

#77 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Actually...I'd love to be able to knife a Mech, melee would be fantastic, and yeah, you could instakill with melee, so...not a CoD move there. Now, if we got dogtags or something when we did that..yeah, CoD move ;)

Trying to remove the mechanics that make combat MORE than just jumping around and firing, that's trying to make this game like CoD, or Battlefield or Quake or Unreal, take your pick of the FPS genre games where combat consists of nothing but those things. And that's what he's asking for because the heat of using JJ is impacting his ability to DO just that, jump around and fire. Pretty much on target there I think.

And your skill level leaves a LOT to be desired Mizeur if you can't manage to deal with heat so badly that you want it removed.

A light instant killing anything in melee? Maybe with a cockpit shot, but not otherwise.
Also, just because those games have jumping, doesn't mean if MWO adopts heatless jumping it will be COD or Quake. That's like saying it's like COD or Quake because we have ammo and crosshairs.

#78 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

I've almost overheated while JJ'ing and shooting off my ERPPC's a few times....then all of the flashing Critical Heat warnings incited me to do it less often...problem solved.

Pushing the spacebar less often, and more deliberately will probably solve this user side problem.

#79 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 April 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Okay yeah I think you and I have crossed arguments with someone else, because I agree with JJ heat (just think Class I JJs have too much for how they perform), and I don't have a problem managing heat.

Then I dunno what we're arguing about, but was fun!

#80 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 April 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Well regarding shooting in the air, I am unaware of a MechWarrior game that has not allowed it.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users