Everything you never wanted to know about Joysticks

324 replies to this topic

#1 RAINMANSlayer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

I played MPBT Solaris on Aol and Gamestrom and used a MS Sidewinder and loved it but they are not made anymore. So I am looking for a new joystick and wanted to know what you are using or plan on using.

#2 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

MS Sidewinder Precision 2 - unused, keeping it for MWO :) ( got it unused and still boxed at a car boot sale)

#3 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 28 November 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

MS Sidewinder Precision 2 - unused, keeping it for MWO :) ( got it unused and still boxed at a car boot sale)

I got one of these off of ebay for like 20 bucks shipped, But I ordered a Saitek X45 flight control system they are going for about 20 bucks and about 40 shipped.;)

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

CH Combatstick, Throttle, Pedals... been aching to use them for something newer than MW4 other than Wings of Prey :)

#5 Schnuffs

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCarver V

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Will the steel battalion controller work for this game, I hope so.

#6 Requital

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

closest I found to my sidewinder precision 2 pro is the logitech extreme 3d pro joystick. Not the same, but reasonably accurate and a similar layout. The quality is not as good I do not think, but it is decent for the price. I may go with something different with MWO, it will depend on their controls set up and how many extra features and controls are required VS previous MW games.

#7 Gunman5000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Saitek X45 myself, love the customizing and the dual joystick design

#8 Melvin

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIn the sticks, waiting for the snow.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. I think I paid ~$30 plus S&H. Decent stick and throttle set-up (not a world-beater by any means).

#9 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

I had a MS Precision Pro, unfortunately it broke years ago... I replaced it with a logitech, then quit playing Mechwarrior. Not a coincidence.
I need to find a better replacement before this game is released.

#10 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Saitek X52, it's a HOTAS setup, and usually retails for about $100.

#11 Slender Man

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

I wish they would try to get Thrustmaster or Saitek to make a double Joystick, or joystick set specifically for MWO. So many people would buy for sure.

#12 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

I am using a Saitek Aviator with Saitek Rudder Pedals.

I don't think there are enough people to justify the price in creating and marketing a custom Mechwarrior themed joystick.

It'd be cool, but it's a pipedream.

Edited by Silent, 28 November 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#13 WhiteTiger

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Postcapperdeluxe, on 28 November 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

CH Combatstick, Throttle, Pedals... been aching to use them for something newer than MW4 other than Wings of Prey :)

I've been meaning to pickup the throttle and pedals. How do you like them?

#14 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Saitek X52 here

#15 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

I just got a used MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 to replace the one that died on me after a decade of heavy use, paid about $50 for it.

I don't care for the force feedback, but the stick has a heavy, solid base and basically doesn't wear out. So far I'm enjoying it (way better than a mouse and keyboard for aircraft in Battlefield 3 and MW:LL)

#16 Razed In Black

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar. I need to have absolute control over every aspect of my mech

#17 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

View PostSlender Man, on 28 November 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

I wish they would try to get Thrustmaster or Saitek to make a double Joystick, or joystick set specifically for MWO. So many people would buy for sure.

I doubt that they would see a big enough market for a double joystick set. Besides, if you want two joysticks, you can buy two joysticks. The more modern games should be able to handle multiple controllers. If you want mirror image sticks, buy a couple of ambidextrous sticks. Saitek's AV8R (make sure you get a PC version, as they make them for consoles, too), or Thrustmaster's TM16000M could work. The Thrustmaster T.16000M is actually a pretty good value... it uses hall sensors, and can be configured to fit either hand.

Personally, I think a good HOTAS setup (ie. Saitek X52 or x52 Pro) makes more sense, but I'm not a BT fanatic. I'm more of a 'function over form' sort of guy. I may try adding in a set of rudder pedals this time around, but I don't know if my brain will wrap itself around that approach... a twisting stick just seems so efficient for torso twisting.

#18 RAINMANSlayer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

I am left handed so I might look into the Thrustmaster T.16000M, does anyone have one and able to give some reviews of it?

Thanks

#19 Rocketman

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm an old online flight sim guy and currently play a lot of FPS and MMOs online. The CH Products Pro Throttle has been a staple of mine for 15+ years - and it amazes me that people don't use this more for FPSs, but that's another story.

For my left hand, there is nothing that even comes close to the Pro Throttle. I use the index finger for the front/back movement, the middle and second middle finger buttons for strafing left/right and the pinky button for jumping, Then you've got three (three!) hat swiches for your thumb and a hat joystick on top of that (though I am skeptical as to whether this is EVER useful). Two of those hat switches are 4-way and one is 8-way. The 8-way is really only useful as a 4-way, though, because it's too tough to differentiate between the 45 degree spots. That's a total of 12 functions available for your thumb. I use the thumb controls for weapons functions and targeting. I'm hopeful that I can maintain those same basic movements and functions. because 15+ years of habit will be hard to break.

As for the rest, I'm going to have to see how the controls play out in the game to decide what I want to use. A multi-function joystick for the right hand is a possibility, but so is just a mouse. Again, until I see how the controls play out in-game I won't know (though the old Saitek with the twist action certainly would seem like a great model for torso twists - I know people used it on Gamestorm for that, but I never had any experience).

Barring a twist joystick, I think that rudder pedals are going to be a must for torso twisting. Any non-centering mechanism (e.g. keys on a keyboard) for this function will be a losing proposition.

#20 Hunter McGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Location#7 Hiring Hall Tower. 3, Harlech City, Outreach

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro seems to work great and it cost me $29.95 brand new less than a week ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users