My Avg Game Score Is ~160 - When Will I Be Put Into Right Psr Tier?

109 replies to this topic

#41 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

Average match score of 294 during this event. Now that it looks like its evening out, PSR seems to be working well for me.

I would suggest that you should look at your mech builds. You're probably not building them to your strengths.

#42 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

There is no matchmaking system that will allow every player to feel above average. Sorry. The new PSR system makes me feel like just another mechwarrior and that's ok, after 3+ years of scrub farming I feel like I am actually getting better again.

#43 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 July 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

I have a feeling that OP is gonna continue to have ****** streaks even after MM changes.

^^
Nailed it

#44 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

A lot of posters in this thread are totally missing the point.

Regardless of your skill level, MM should attempt to form balanced teams where everyone has an average score that's about the same, completely regardless of how good they are (better players play better players and thus don't actually score any better than bad players playing bad players).

OPs question appears to be "What is the appropriate average match score, assuming PSR has stabilized for you". If you routinely beat that average MM either can't find opponents for you or your in too low of a tier. If you do worse, same problem in reverse.
The question of course is what the "ideal" average match score would actually be, and that's a hard one to answer when we don't even know the formula.

#45 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostAEgg, on 29 August 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

A lot of posters in this thread are totally missing the point.

Regardless of your skill level, MM should attempt to form balanced teams where everyone has an average score that's about the same, completely regardless of how good they are (better players play better players and thus don't actually score any better than bad players playing bad players).

OPs question appears to be "What is the appropriate average match score, assuming PSR has stabilized for you". If you routinely beat that average MM either can't find opponents for you or your in too low of a tier. If you do worse, same problem in reverse.
The question of course is what the "ideal" average match score would actually be, and that's a hard one to answer when we don't even know the formula.

I don't think so if you read all the OP's posts. The OP has a play style that he desires that he is unable to find in *any* matches. They don't want to change/modify their play style and somehow the MM is supposed to find that style of match. It's not a MM problem.

As to the question of match scoring - if we go by the bar they have set for the Blood Money event the target match score is 150 (and with the new scoring breakdown it looks very similar to the previous 30 match score requirements - e.g. 300 damage with no other rewards is the required match score in both old and new systems).
I think it's a safe assumption that this target is a value that PGI data indicates the majority of people can reach on an average match and earn the rewards since it's supposed to be a fun thing not a competition thing. That tells me that this number would be near, or below what the floor value of an expected average match score should be.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 29 August 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#46 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 29 August 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

River City - is still extremely terrible map, even after update. It still lacks cover at the center of the map and promotes snipe-fests. The problem is in fact, that 80% of my builds - are brawler ones. Just because I hate camping and love brawling. I already mentioned this in other thread - this game doesn't have proper penalty for sniping and camping, such as much lower survivability, close range dmg penalty and lesser firing rates. This makes sniping builds viable in any situation, while brawler builds are gimped on most of the maps. Maps shouldn't be role-oriented, till role balance won't be fixed - maps should be balanced for any role. That means any map should have a way to get closer to snipers and LRMmers without being instantly torn apart.

I you were in a match, I won - then I won it due to other team being complete noobs to allow us cross the river.
Looking at your posts you seem to be having a few problems. Problem one is if you ar bringing brawling builts they are high DPS builds you should be getting good damage in a lot of games. The trick with brawling builds is to not take damage until the two teams get close together and the other mechs are already damaged. Then you can finish the game with your high burst DPS. But even doing this it will be a roll of the dice each game. Your team will have to be able to play part of it without your help. The map will have to give you a chance to get close etc.

Also if you want to run brawling builds they work better if you join a unit wanting to do the same thing. That way you can just push early as a unit and just run over many teams before they are even set.

Now if you insist in playing alone your best bet is to use a balanced build. Something with good range and good dps and good speed and good maneuverability etc. The matchmaker is not magic. You have to help it out a little. :)

#47 Balder Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 29 August 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Well... please make sure you aren't useing crap builds.
You should accidentally get 160 points using the T1->T3 mech builds.
http://metamechs.com...mega-tier-list/
If not... well....hrmmmm

That "list" is very amusing. Spider 5-D in tier 8.

It's not the tool you use but how you use it. I tell folks all the time if You were given Bubba Watson's golf clubs do you think you'd play like him?

You can do all the "meta" builds you like, has almost zero impact on the battle outcome. A team of tier 2 folks in the worst mechs will destroy a lower tier team in the very best mechs. Why, because they practice and work hard at being good.

When you battle the best players and get beat and you don't learn something you're doing it wrong. Pay attention to detail, why is that mech not moving, why did he/she turn left instead of right, why did they go that direction, why is that mech not returning fire, why are they all bunched up so tightly, why when almost cored does that mech run to the back of the pack and a fresh one take it's place.

And finally, if was easy anyone could do it and it would not be as fun.... I'm sure there are hundreds of games out there that are "easier" to play.

#48 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

Try getting better

#49 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostBalder Shadow, on 29 August 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

That "list" is very amusing. Spider 5-D in tier 8.

It's not the tool you use but how you use it. I tell folks all the time if You were given Bubba Watson's golf clubs do you think you'd play like him?

You can do all the "meta" builds you like, has almost zero impact on the battle outcome. A team of tier 2 folks in the worst mechs will destroy a lower tier team in the very best mechs. Why, because they practice and work hard at being good.

When you battle the best players and get beat and you don't learn something you're doing it wrong. Pay attention to detail, why is that mech not moving, why did he/she turn left instead of right, why did they go that direction, why is that mech not returning fire, why are they all bunched up so tightly, why when almost cored does that mech run to the back of the pack and a fresh one take it's place.

And finally, if was easy anyone could do it and it would not be as fun.... I'm sure there are hundreds of games out there that are "easier" to play.

Pressing R will tell you what you need to know like 99 percent of the time.

Something I bet the op never does.

#50 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 29 August 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Two years and you still haven't raised your skills, or learned how to ulitize your team properly?

At this point you are a lost cause if you have been playing somewhat regularly for 2 years and still cant put out a decent kdr...who then cares if you are not willing to improve yourself?

On the other hand maybe you suck so bad at the game no one is low enough to be matched with you so they just go **** it and throw you anywhere? "shrugs"

Not helpful

View Postvnlk65n, on 29 August 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Try getting better

Also not helpful

#51 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 29 August 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

My avg game score is way too low now - just a little bit higher, then minimum viable one. That means, I'm still stuck in a wrong PSR Tier. How much time it will take for me to be moved into right PSR Tier? I've been sitting in ELO hell for about 2 years. I don't want to wait any longer.

View PostSarlic, on 29 August 2015 - 01:11 AM, said:

Then you are doing something wrong. :ph34r:

Maybe your should learn to rock the Atlas? I had been having horrid games and found that DWF's just are not fast enough to compete with the Tier I'm in. I'm somewhere in the middle, but rockin' the Atlas has gotten my avg score's up. The Whale was just a sitting duck. But I also build my Atlas' with a STD 360 so I kinda blaze across the battle field.

Sarlic has some great advice in his Atlas thread, read it, do it, profit........

#52 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostSolCrusher, on 29 August 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sarlic has some great advice in his Atlas thread, read it, do it, profit........

Speaking about the thread i am giving it another overhaul after the rebalance. Adding videos and GIFs.

No idea how the rebalance will turn out, but i noticed people want to see video's/GIFs more often then wall of text. Which make sense. A picture says more then thousand words.

Thanks though, much appreciated! Glad people like it.

Edited by Sarlic, 29 August 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#53 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

my event results right now: 50 games played, 345.38 average score, 28 the lowest score, 670 the highest one, most kills 6, most damage 1079 (i think, in a lost game btw, lost my last ammo with an arm, remained the last with no ammo and died), most team damage 112 (accidental, my personal record too), also i reached the half point of 'shredder' title, got more than 5000 destroyed components

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 29 August 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#54 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostSarlic, on 29 August 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Speaking about the thread i am giving it another overhaul after the rebalance. Adding videos and GIFs.

No idea how the rebalance will turn out, but i noticed people want to see video's/GIFs more often then wall of text. Which make sense. A picture says more then thousand words.

Thanks though, much appreciated! Glad people like it.

It's a great guide, I read it a long while back before you had all the pretty stuff in it. Anyways I re-read it yesterday and decided to Rock my Atlas' all night and my CBills went up.

I apparently suck with Clan tech, I can't get Timbers nor Whales to work well. Though I have thought about a new way to make a Timber a brawler so it just may work for me. Guess I'm really a brawler and not a Long Range damage trader. So I'll see what I can do to make a Brawling Timber sometime.

#55 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostAEgg, on 29 August 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but PSR is still new. I imagine that it may take hundreds of games before you move down or up. OP may just be stuck in the wrong tier, and it may take another hundred subpar games before he drops to an appropriate level. I think I lucked out with an appropriate PSR/Tier to start out. I'm getting much better games than with Elo.

Regarding brawling, virtually every game eventually ends in a close range melee. The trick for a brawler is to survive until the range closes. I've been playing a lot of ENF-4P brawler, and I'm fine so long as I stick close to the fatties. At some point the range gets <400m and that's when I start shooting.

#56 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

The system is either broken, or designed to suck.

I have not had a truly "good" game in 2 weeks. Most are rollovers (12-1 through 12-4). Those that aren't are usually because of groups on both sides that don't work together, or because someone decides to do the objective and the match ends long before most mechs are killed.

Prior to the change, I averaged in the 250 - 350 per match for damage. I was usually in he top half of my team for score, but rarely in the top 2. My K/D ratio hovered around 0.98. Not great, but not horrible.

Now? My K/D ratio has dropped 0.94. I average 150 or less in damage. I have about 1/2 my matches that I never even break 100 for damage. My time to be killed in a match is either under 2 minutes, or I'm alive until the match ends. I almost never clear the magical 150 score. I also never see the old friends I used to meet up against in matches. Mechs that I had set up as old standbys that ALWAYS got good damage numbers (not meta, but consistent good performers) in I now find myself turning in double digit damage scores with.

I'm contacting PGI with a complaint on this. I like the game, and I have put quite a bit of money into it, but if they cant fix the matchmaker I may have to quit. Its no longer enjoyable.

#57 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 29 August 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Well... please make sure you aren't useing crap builds.

You should accidentally get 160 points using the T1->T3 mech builds.
http://metamechs.com...mega-tier-list/

If not... well....hrmmmm

I almost closed that page when I saw the Summoner listed as tier 3 :blink:

Warhawk tier 5 and Mad Dog tier 6? Who makes this s**t up?

Edited by Kyocera, 29 August 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#58 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostSolCrusher, on 29 August 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Though I have thought about a new way to make a Timber a brawler so it just may work for me. Guess I'm really a brawler and not a Long Range damage trader. So I'll see what I can do to make a Brawling Timber sometime.

6-7 mpl?

#59 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostBalder Shadow, on 29 August 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

That &quot;list&quot; is very amusing. Spider 5-D in tier 8.

The entire point of a tier list is that personal skill is taken as a constant.. durr

#60 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

View PostKyocera, on 29 August 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

I almost closed that page when I saw the Summoner listed as tier 3 :blink:

Warhawk tier 5 and Mad Dog tier 6? Who makes this s**t up?

that tier is imo vague, but generally... summoner is only 'bad' comparing to hellbringer and timber and even then, it's more agile than they and is the most agile and fast clan heavy; meanwhile mad dog cannot really do anything which crow, timber or helly couldn't do better (yeah, including lurm-, srm- and streakboats) and on top of that it's very missile oriented and is meh with lasers and dakka having only arm hardpoints... i disagree that warhawks are placed so low though, they are a pretty good assault albeit rather squishy

anyway that list is a good place for some build references and ideas, not as a tier list

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users