Ptr Balance Test... What A Mess...

431 replies to this topic

#41 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

Why the hell do I have to be the devil's advocate again... Oh well.

Great job, Paul! For the first time in MWO history I think you have nailed things spot-on. Yes, tweaks will happen, yes, changes will come and go, but what you did here is the best that could have ever been done. Weapon quirks were a nice idea but lets be frank, anything over 20% is game-breaking. I've spend over a decade in competitive online games and if you make huge bonuses to anything, people will build around those bonuses.

Some IS Mechs might require some buffing. Catapult comes to mind - not that I don't like his quirks but because I love the visuals of it and every buff to Catapult is a good buff. Besides that... well, nothing really. Good job! With TTK finally upped, perhaps there can be some competition now?

Anyway. I don't know how will this end but I very much like the way things are going now. That translates to +1 tier on my winter Clan package. Keep at it!

#42 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostXetelian, on 11 September 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

There appears to be no weapon quirks.

Either fix the weapons now or put back some of those weapon quirks.

Correct there are no weapon quirks, only changes to tanking and mobility, which essentially resets balance to the clan invasion.

#43 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 September 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

Now to see if they actually live up to that promise.

Indeed.

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 September 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

Correct there are no weapon quirks, only changes to tanking and mobility, which essentially resets balance to the clan invasion.

And a shitload of arbitrary sensor quirks on absolutely everything...

#45 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 11 September 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

Fup, every game will have a meta OP thing, and players with a mind towards winning/comp will always "exploit" it for maximum performance...

But look how many variables these guys have to balance... trying to specify some sort of role to mechs at least gives us more ways to play.

To use an example of how terrible the meta is in this game vs other far more popular and competitive games, I was watching a HotS tournament a couple weeks ago and was astounded by the variety of heroes that were actually used. Yes, some heroes were auto-picks/auto-bans (Kael'Thas, Zeratul, Johanna, Uther) but there were very few heroes that were never picked. Even less meta heroes (like Gazlowe, Abathur and Raynor) were still picked by top 10 competitive teams.

Can you imagine a competent team in this game bringing a Commando, Locust, Vindicator, Kintaro, Myst Lynx, Panther, Zeus, or Catapult to an important tournament?

Metas exist, yes, but the gap between meta and trash in this game is so unbelievably wide that it is utterly unacceptable and nothing on the PTS looks poised to change that at all.

#46 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 September 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

And a shitload of arbitrary sensor quirks on absolutely everything...

Which translate to their rarely being a lock at all and a TON of friendly fire because of the red grid numbers over your team's heads. In three games I was cored by friendlies twice, at which point I put the lights down and am waiting 10+ minutes a game in a Timber.

Edited by Yokaiko, 11 September 2015 - 09:19 PM.

#47 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

What I don't get is why they'd add no structure quirks to the Battlemaster variant that has armor quirks right now.

Actually, scratch that, I think they forgot to put most of the Battlemaster positive quirks in because they are all red and negative.

#48 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

View PostElizander, on 11 September 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

What I don't get is why they'd add no structure quirks to the Battlemaster variant that has armor quirks right now.

Actually, scratch that, I think they forgot to put most of the Battlemaster positive quirks in because they are all red and negative.

Look at the Battlemaster 3M quirks and weep tears of sorrow for him. Look at him and weep!

#49 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

I think they're best off ditching this whole info-warfare thing entirely, since it's not at all a fun addition to the game, it's a hindrance, and it getting any focus at all is taking time and attention away from what matters.

Keep quirks, but reduce the extreme ones, work on more defensive and mobility/JJ quirks to balance out IS with clan, rebalance weapons themselves a bit, maybe add some module variety to the game, to further enhance customization.

What's in PTS right now gives me a headache just looking at mech summaries in the store, and does absolutely nil to actually change meta or game balance, besides knocking the IS out of the fight, and making sub-par mechs even worse.

#50 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 September 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

spot on perfect

#51 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 September 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

Look at the Battlemaster 3M quirks and weep tears of sorrow for him. Look at him and weep!

He's just too top tier meta right now. You saw it coming!

#52 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

This whole thing looks like nothing more than throwing IS back under the bus like day 1 of Clan release from a firepower perspective.

Clan weapons will still be more powerful, have more range.
Gauss PPC/laser vomit will still be the meta.

And what is worse, no word about weapon adjustments on either side of the fence.

IS weapons will be back to being hot as hell, their DPS will go down alot, while Clan firepower will be unaffected.

Edited by Mister D, 11 September 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#53 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Oh and I would love to have something to compare this to.

Posted Image

#54 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 September 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

Oh and I would love to have something to compare this to.

Posted Image

It looks like a military rank symbol?

#55 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 September 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

It looks like a military rank symbol?

Yeah, one would assume that is your tier ranking, but I have no idea what it means. i.e what rank is it?

Edited by Yokaiko, 11 September 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#56 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 September 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeah, one would assume that is your tier ranking, but I have no idea what it means. i.e what rank is it?

If I wasn't lazy, I would cut out that little symbol, and then do a Google image reverse-search to see what it turns up. But of course, I'm lazy. -_-

#57 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

Just based off the PTS I'm incredibly happy I didn't buy the IIC package. I was considering it with the 2 year perks, but after seeing their "balance pass" I'll for go a purchase.

I can't even bring myself to play MWO this weekend.

#ship_is_sinking

#58 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

I'd assume the green up arrow with Tier means you went up in tier, and the red down arrow means you go down...

But seeing as there's no PSR on the PTS, and PSR is still not shown, it's kind of pointless atm.

#59 Drasari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

is that not the point OP?

#60 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

It felt like they had had three ideas. Structure quirks. Performance quirks, either accel/decel quirks or Turn rate. Or not warranting any quirks. Then I think they they had a set of sensor quirks on a wall and threw darts at it. This is their idea of distinguishing variants. Not something cool like making the Awesome live up to it's lore reputation as a PPC Siege engine of death.

And this is coming from someone who generally tries to see things in a positive light. : /

I just hope they listen to feedback.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users