431 replies to this topic

#81 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostDaZur, on 11 September 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

You kids crack me up... :rolleyes:

As per usual this community goes into convulsions with "any" change that doesn't immediately placate some sub-set of expectations.

I get you concerns... I really do. That said, I'm not sure what flavor of perfection you guys were expecting from a first-blush pass on this?

So long as this sort of thing is run on the test-server and we continue to have some semblance of input, I'm not quite prepared to run for the fallout shelter just yet...

"R-E-L-A-X" ~ Aaron Rodgers. ^_^

no the sky is falling it's the END OF DAYS

starring arnold

Edited by cSand, 11 September 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#82 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 September 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

Posted Image
Actually... Doing nothing would've been less of a let down.

I'm used to this.

Setting the bar lower consistently is an exceptional achievement.

#83 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 September 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I'm used to this.

Setting the bar lower consistently is an exceptional achievement.

Well, at least PGI is consistent at something.

#84 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 September 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

This PTS didn't just hurt my butt, it also hurt my soul.

I feel like a lesser human being for having witnessed and played with the changes on it.

The big fear is that it'll end up in live. The hope is it's just a foundation for mobility quirks and a new approach to sensors. I'm okay with that - just don't try to pretend it's about 'balance'. Just basic mech mobility quirks.

#85 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 September 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Why can't teh Donald just visit Vancouver and do his trademark thing with that one particular guy @ PGI?

Would anyone pay to see that?

I would buy MC for that, for sure.

The fact that they're rolling this out before the mythical Steam release is even more mind-boggling.

"Hey new players! You know nothing about this game, so we're just going to add an absolute fuckton of random quirks that make absolutely no logical sense so that you will be even more confused and intimidated by game mechanics! But don't worry, all those sensor quirks don't actually add any enjoyment to the game. They're just a fun tax."

Seriously, this is a spreadsheet warrior's worst nightmare. So much useless, pointless and absolutely unnecessary data to dig through and for what? Why would any mech not named Timber Wolf, Storm Crow or Dire Wolf need negative quirks?

#86 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,952 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

View PostInRev, on 11 September 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

I would buy MC for that, for sure.

The fact that they're rolling this out before the mythical Steam release is even more mind-boggling.

"Hey new players! You know nothing about this game, so we're just going to add an absolute fuckton of random quirks that make absolutely no logical sense so that you will be even more confused and intimidated by game mechanics! But don't worry, all those sensor quirks don't actually add any enjoyment to the game. They're just a fun tax."

Seriously, this is a spreadsheet warrior's worst nightmare. So much useless, pointless and absolutely unnecessary data to dig through and for what? Why would any mech not named Timber Wolf, Storm Crow or Dire Wolf need negative quirks?

hahaha

#87 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 September 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

Actually... Doing nothing would've been less of a let down.

The really sad part is how true that is.
I have no idea how any one of them could have looked at this and said "Yup, this is a good idea lets see what are insanely critical player base thinks about it."

There is absolutely no way it was/is going to go well with this sort of design and totally bypassing any weapons balancing on top of that. Not even if they were giving out free Marauders for everyone who tested it and tried to find something positive to say about it.

#88 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

View Postsycocys, on 11 September 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

Not even if they were giving out free Marauders for everyone who tested it and tried to find something positive to say about it.

Well, nobody would get the Free Marauders, because there's NOTHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS ---!
Not a single --- thing.

I felt less back-handed, when they added coolant flush and 3rd person view, even though they had stated that they'd never do that... (And that made me QUIT THE GAME for a year or so)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 12 September 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#89 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 September 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Well, nobody would get the Free Marauders, because there's NOTHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS SH*T!
Not a single f*cking thing.

There will be one (there's already a few justifying the changes.. not understanding what they currently have).

You understand that someone's "personal underhive" are making balance changes right?

#90 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

I think many of you are prematurely crying in the IS vs. Clan department:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 11 September 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

It is only after all of this happens that we look at the final balance gap between IS and Clan technology.

View PostPaul Inouye, on 11 September 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

This brings us to today and the Public Test we are going to be running. The current PTS build comprises the first set of numbers in the database, and all of them are still open for tuning (drastically or only slightly, depending on metrics and your feedback).

Other than my comment above, please do continue.

#91 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

View PostDeathlike, on 11 September 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

There will be one (there's already a few justifying the changes.. not understanding what they currently have).

You understand that someone's "personal underhive" are making balance changes right?

The only thing positive, is that i'm POSITIVE that PGI has no --- clue what they're doing.

#92 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Let's just make a comparison of some of the logic involved in The New Sh- I mean PTS Quirkening.

We get the Enforcer who can't twist:

And then OMG IT SPINS! :

I won't even go into them actually finding ways to make LRMs even WORSE with sensor ranges and longer times-to-red-dorito.

#93 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

The worst part is just how much they --- hyped this --thing-- up, "Oh, it's coming, it's coming" and it CAME and it --- SUCKS

Edit: decided to reduce the amount of swearing i did.

#94 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:42 PM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 11 September 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Why the hell do I have to be the devil's advocate again... Oh well.

Great job, Paul! For the first time in MWO history I think you have nailed things spot-on. Yes, tweaks will happen, yes, changes will come and go, but what you did here is the best that could have ever been done. Weapon quirks were a nice idea but lets be frank, anything over 20% is game-breaking. I've spend over a decade in competitive online games and if you make huge bonuses to anything, people will build around those bonuses.

Some IS Mechs might require some buffing. Catapult comes to mind - not that I don't like his quirks but because I love the visuals of it and every buff to Catapult is a good buff. Besides that... well, nothing really. Good job! With TTK finally upped, perhaps there can be some competition now?

Anyway. I don't know how will this end but I very much like the way things are going now. That translates to +1 tier on my winter Clan package. Keep at it!

I have one major problem so far ...

These are the kinds of design decisions that should have been made at the start of the project, not when it is showing death throes. <smh>

#95 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

i am deeply insulted by the balance pass;
supposedly my mech is one of the mechs they are helping or trying to help with this;
it's turn to a piece of furniture in the test server;
they gave my fav mech hilarious negative quirks so i am a 80ton dire wolf

#96 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 September 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

The worst part is just how much they f*cking hyped this piece of f*cking sh*t up, "Oh, it's coming, it's coming" and it CAME and it f*cking SUCKS

But Sean Lang said on twitch that it was super good and that we would all love it and be super excited! Are you insinuating that he is an unreliable source of information?

#97 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:52 PM

Look, we need to try and see this as just a foundation for mobility balance and not think of it as actual mech balancing. If you try to look at it as too much or actual balancing of mechs you're going to get a sad. Sensor stuff has nothing, what so ever in any way, to do with balancing mechs. IW doesn't balance mechs as it is. Not even remotely, vaguely or approximately.

I sorta like the new sensor changes - puts more weight on individual skill and that's not bad since in a lot of ways it plays like everyone has ECM.

#98 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostInRev, on 11 September 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

But Sean Lang said on twitch that it was super good and that we would all love it and be super excited! Are you insinuating that he is an unreliable source of information?

Something says that the source may have thought the idea was great. We need more "yes men" after all.

#99 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostcSand, on 11 September 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

no the sky is falling it's the END OF DAYS

starring arnold

Quick!... Let's jump on the wild conjecture train, down a couple bottles of sweet..sweet angst and and dance around the fire beating our derision drums! ^_^

It's just not a party until someone clamors for Paul's head! :rolleyes:

#100 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 September 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Jesus...
Really shows how little they understand about the f*cking game's balance...

And its same about all others things they have to balance >>> MM, CW, hitboxe of new mechs, JJ exploit, LRMs boats, streak boats ( remember the mighty streak cat i got ratio 10 with it even when ecm come out it was still meta ) ECM, Active probe etc etc

It take them ages for balance one thing by one like lrms for example from closed beta during month maybe a year lrms were almost meta....

Edited by Idealsuspect, 11 September 2015 - 10:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users