Marauder Builds

222 replies to this topic

#101 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

Mak's 5M

A little lower DPS than some builds but it has a very heavy alpha for how fast it is. I tend to wait with the assaults and, when they're having to sit back and cool down, I run in and dump all 45dmg on one target and get out. It does not fair well against lights.

#102 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

Here is my 5M:

8 DHS (2 in engine)
XL300
LBX-10 (3t ammo - case LT)
3ERLL
Max Armor

For PUGlandia this is a decent and fun mech. I do not get a lot of kills but I survive and soak up damage for the team and just keep plugging away, best I have done with this mech is over 1k damage in a Quick Drop.

Of the MADs it would be my go to mech to play and have fun, everyday!

Thanks,
Fulgar

#103 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 22 December 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

Good point, I'm probably just being paranoid about the crits since my damn Hunchback IIC loses one of its UAC10's if you look at it funny. Seriously, had someone rake my back last night, critted out both freaking UAC10s leaving the torsos intact. I was not pleased lol. Anyway, you rarely seem to lose an arm on a Marauder.

With the triple AC5 setup, do you find the bottom one hits terrain too easily? I briefly had one with the top guns on one group, and all three on cycle when really hosing someone down.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I kinda do, but I'm not used to the braking/acceleration of this mech to be able to crest properly in hill humping, and often overshoot it a bit. Takes a little getting used to.

What I've been MEANING to do, is to put the top two on one button and all three on another (the second one chain-fired, as that's ALMOST constant fire even WITHOUT an AC/5 cooldown module. The twosie is for hillhumping primarily--gives up 1/3 of the damage, but exposes the mech less and for a shorter time. The threesie is for stare-downs and peppering targets while not taking return fire. It's like a much heavier UAC/5 that never jams.

It hasn't been much of a problem, but that's primarily because I suck at this game.

#104 AesopTails

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

Here's my two favorite builds so far with the MAD series.

MAD-5M: 3x LL, 1x Gauss Rifle, STD295, 1 JJ. This is a good long range mech. I have also tried 3x ERLL in place of the 3x LL and they work as well. They're just a little bit too toasty for me though.

MAD-5D 5x ML, 2x ASRM 6's, STD325, 1 JJ. My close to mid range. It's not the best brawler, but it does ok at it. The huge side torsos and lack of CT weapons prevents it from being fantastic at it in my opinion. Not only that, but it doesn't have the nice structures quirks like the 3R does.

Speaking of quirks, I love the missile cooldown on this mech. Add in SRM cooldown modules, and you have a 32% cooldown on your SRM's if I remember right.

I don't like to run XL engines on my MAD's. I have taken out many MAD's by focusing fire on their ST's since they're so easy to take out.

#105 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 20 December 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

Might try these two out, Got something similar for my current 5M but I kept the stock XL which gets me killed far too often.

XL engine is workable on a marauder, you need to roll the damage across as many component you can.
But XL dead will still happen when faced with a good pilot.

I have also went back and tinker with the MAD-5D, and came back with a different beast.
Going from mid/short range brawler to all range support/brawler, I like to build multi-purpose mech with overlapping weapon range.
Now it carry
2xLRM10 w 3t ammo
4x MPL
1x LL
XL 325
16 DHS

It gets really toasty when I am in the ideal 250~300m range where I can use every weapon.
Most of the time the LRM and LL is doing most of the work, 4x medium pulse for when I ran out of ammo or getting face hugged.
JJ are great for bobbing to spread damage and make tight turn to draw on a circling light mech.

View PostLuscious Dan, on 21 December 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Considering this MAD-3R build, any thoughts?

I ran both the 4x LL and 4x LPL loadout before settling on my current built.
4x LPL build is devastating 1-on-1 but runs very hot when engaging multiple targets, with only the MGs to fall back on to cool down. I feel the biggest drawback to use the 3R as a brawler is the lack of jump jet for maneuvering and spreading damage.

The 4x LL MAD-3R have much better heat management, you free up 8 tonnes for more DHS. Have to remove the FF upgrade to get more space.

#106 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

Nothing special but her are the MADs I've been running;

MAD-3R
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...978482b3f27133a

I decided to focus on max armor vs firepower for my MADs considering how easy it is to get flanked. Wasn't planing on keeping the AC/5 but it does a good job keeping my DPS up while chain firing with the two PPCs. I could swap out the AC/5 for the a LB-10X easy but the ammo would be a little shallow without sacrificing a DHS or ML.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a5bda5f24bf740d

MAD-5D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b52a278ae01703d

Not the best brawler compared to my Thunderbolts but decent averaging 300-500 damage on a good day. Originally had a XL 340 for the engine, gave it speed and kept it cool but lost my side torso way too often to keep it. If you go with a XL, make sure you have some range weapons like a PPC or ER Large Lasers so you can keep your distance and to fire back at snipers. 9/10, I loss a side torso to a BH MAD with a Gauss.

MAD-5M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...968ddd2df7f68e8

I kept the XL because I liked the original weapon combo, dropped two JJ for ES gave me enough room for max armor and a extra MPL. Dropped the Case for a extra ton of ammo, placing the ammo in legs to minimize a engine hit. The XL still gives the MAD a glass jaw but the Alpha is so satisfying

#107 Manwue

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

I am running my 3Rs as Brawlers. One of them with 2 ER PPCs, 2 MPLs and 3 Machineguns and the other one with 4 MPLs, 1 AC20 and 2 MGs. With the AC-20 build I need to get close and personal, a bit risky against any assaults. But the one with the ERPPCs is wonderful. The PPC quirks are making a real difference I think.

I am running the 5M as a long range fighter with 2 AC2s 3 ER LLs, and 2 ML for backup. I am liking this one the best so far.

I am running the 5D as a multi-range machine, with 2 A-LRM15s, 2 LPLs, and 2 MLs (and a TAG). This seems the most versatile one. It is really dangerous at mid-ranges.

#108 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

With everyone raving about the PPC quirks of the 3R I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not seeing it. Two ERPPC, 2 ML, 3 MG. In five matched no kills and all of them were 100~150 dmg. Not for me I suppose.

#109 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

I've been running this MAD-3R

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e819b58dc1fef5e

I tried the XL engine in the marauder and discovered that it's not very much of a liability. This thing can roll damage like a champ, so the tradeoff is worth it for the increased firepower. Simply put, two PPC's and two Ac/5's crank out an impressive hail of fire, able to concentrate 30 points of damage on a single location in one salvo. And the medium lasers are there as backup weapons, I really only use them when combat is within 100 meters. (ERPPC's are too hot and I have no space to replace the Medium Lasers with heat sinks, so there we are.)

This thing is my new favorite mech.

#110 AesopTails

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

ScrapIron, you convinced me to try XL. And you're totally right, it does work. Posted Image

I've conjured up this build: MAD-3R. 2x ERPPC's, 1x Gauss and a XL325. I tried my best to take full advantage of the quirks of the 3R. And let me tell you, I am having a blast in this one. I don't do a lot of damage in matches. I do get alot of kills from the pin point damage. Every match has been 2-4 kills.

PPC's move so fast with the quirks, and I'm really digging the 726 optimal range for the Gauss Rifle. It syncs so well. I alpha 2-3 times, then I keep shooting the Gauss while I alternative firing between the PPC's.

#111 Psibelius

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

I've been playing a 3R with an XL350 and 4 regular PPC's with range/cooldown mods in CW, and it has been an absolute blast! Weapon groupings are for LA and RA, chainfire set to on for both, and you can pretty much keep on firing every second once you have someone in your sights without overheating.

I stay with the assaults, and position left/right slightly behind to provide fire support. With such a big engine, the 3R re-positions very quickly. The extra projectile speed provided by the quirk makes all the difference...

#112 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 23 December 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

It hasn't been much of a problem, but that's primarily because I suck at this game.

RAbbs, I'mma get this tattooed somewhere. Posted Image Tends to summarize a lot of my counter-meta build philosophy.

#113 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

I just picked up the Collector Pack last night. Performed a small revision to the 3R by switching it to Endo Steel, and upgrading the AC/5 to a UAC/5. I'm sure that there are some more significant tweaks out there, but I like how it plays so far. When I feel like spending the money, I'll upgrade it to Double Heat Sinks.

#114 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

Best MAD build i have tried was on the BH II, really simple.

1 x AC20
6 x ML (357ish optimum range with ML range mod on top of quirks for ML range)
full JJ's
300 STD engine.
3.5 tonnes of AC20 ammo

Beast.

Had a couple of 1000+ dmg games with this. Rolls damage like a boss with a STD and the JJ's help a lot in brawls. Its a great mech for brawling, killed so many wannabes today!

Edited by Fade Akira, 14 January 2016 - 02:07 AM.

#115 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Haven't tried these builds yet, seeing what everyone thinks?
MAD-5M
Currently running an LB10-X, 2 LPL and 2ML, not sure if I've even used that one much or at all, I'm about to find out.

MAD-3R
Currently running 4x ML and 3x AC5 to reasonably great effect, but toying with putting the AC5s onto the 5M for a longer ranged plinker and making this one a dedicated spray brawler

#116 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

This is my MAD-3R build. Really like it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf94fb58e9a21d1

#117 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

MAD-BOUNTY HUNTER II - AC20 + STD300
Not sure if something like this was posted before, but i think it looks quite good.
Alternatively you could rip out the AMS and shave off half a ton of armor to squeeze in 2 more DHS or one DHS and one JJ...

Whatever, this runs rather hot. I would do sparate weapongroups for the arms, each including the head laser to bypass ghostheat.

#118 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostAeon Veritas, on 20 January 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

MAD-BOUNTY HUNTER II - AC20 + STD300
Not sure if something like this was posted before, but i think it looks quite good.
Alternatively you could rip out the AMS and shave off half a ton of armor to squeeze in 2 more DHS or one DHS and one JJ...

Whatever, this runs rather hot. I would do sparate weapongroups for the arms, each including the head laser to bypass ghostheat.

Add a DHS and upgrade the Head Lazor to an MPL. That way you avoid Ghost Heat, and if you get de-torso'ed you've got just a little more firepower.

#119 gerOZ

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

BH-II cold run 56 Alpha
Close beast. Usage on first or second line. Recommend modules AC20 colddown and MPL range (attack distance ~300m).

5D lurm boat
Lurms on Marauder? Why not Posted Image Quirks + modules takes a very deadly boat. Be careful - 10 ton's lurms ammo depleted very fast Posted Image

5M crit reaper
Double LBX and JJ Posted Image

Enjoy Posted Image

#120 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostgerOZ, on 31 January 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

BH-II cold run 56 Alpha
Close beast. Usage on first or second line. Recommend modules AC20 colddown and MPL range (attack distance ~300m).

5D lurm boat
Lurms on Marauder? Why not Posted Image Quirks + modules takes a very deadly boat. Be careful - 10 ton's lurms ammo depleted very fast Posted Image

5M crit reaper
Double LBX and JJ Posted Image

Enjoy Posted Image

HB-II: I love it when (enemy) mechs skip leg day.

5D: I said it above, and to each their own, but LRM boats are more in the second or third line, especially when they've got 10 tons of ammo. You're more than likely going to be in indirect fire situations, which means, a) Artemis isn't useful and Posted Image you're not going to be taking that much fire. So while normally I abhor XLs in mechs 75 tons and up, there are exceptions and LRM boats are one such.

You can drop Artemis, and swap to an XL325 which will help with positioning and dealing with things that get to close. Then you can either upgrade the MLs to MPLs or add in a bunch of Jump Jets. I'd lean towards the MPLs, because, once you're out of ammo, they're going to have a bit more punch, which can be useful for a late game push, taking fire while more vulnerable teammates get the extra damage in.

Again, that's my preferred way to LRM. YMMV, etc, etc.

For the 5M, that's a little light on the ammo, isn't it?

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 31 January 2016 - 07:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users