222 replies to this topic

#141 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

I use to run only standard engines but after seeing a unit m8 use XLs in a 5D and do quite well I switched to XL's. And you guys are right about no issues on XL vs ST engines. In fact I lasted longer than I ever had with least amount of health in an XL MAD 5D at 15%. All open all around at end of match but survived. The LPLx3 is nice with the MDPL backup. I put in a couple of Jump Jets so I can throw off their aim just a tad.

I use to run only standard engines but after seeing a unit m8 use XLs in a 5D and do quite well I switched to XL's. And you guys are right about no issues on XL vs ST engines. In fact I lasted longer than I ever had with least amount of health in an XL MAD 5D at 15%. All open all around at end of match but survived. The LPLx3 is nice with the MDPL backup. I put in a couple of Jump Jets so I can throw off their aim just a tad.

#142 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostLuminis, on 01 February 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

I'm toying with the idea of swapping the AC20 on my BH with a Gauss...

Same build as above otherwise. Gives me 30 shots with the Gauss and runs significantly cooler. I love the BH2 as a brawler, but with the range the MLAS can get on it, it almost feels like I'm selling it a little short by adhering to the AC20's range. It's going to resemble a midrange Gauss Vomit build I quite liked on my Timberwolf.

Thoughts?

Try AC10 in place of the AC20.

7x MLs and an AC10 is very a popular rig for the BH.

Edited by Boogie138, 10 February 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#143 Kinmundian

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec8b6f37c739c27

My build. Probably far from being perfect. Nearly 100 kills with it right now.

#144 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:03 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 10 February 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

Try AC10 in place of the AC20.

7x MLs and an AC10 is very a popular rig for the BH.

Yeah, that's what I've been running for a while and I'm liking it a lot.

#145 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

I've been having a lot of fun in this 5D build (I saw something like it elsewhere with an XL engine but I only run standards in my Marauders).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e8cea4bdcc0af09

STD 275, ERPPC, 4 MPL's, 2 LRM10's (ammo, armor, and heat sinks may not be exact)

As you approach hit with the LRM's and poke with that nice and high ERPPC. Then once you've cracked open the armor dine on that tasty internal structure with the 4 MPL's. It runs hot, but you aren't using the LRM's and MPL's at the same time. You just have to watch how often you fire the ERPPC at close range.

#146 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

I find difficult to create a competitive build for 5D... I like very much my 3R (STD 300, 3AC/5 and MLs), my 5M (AC/10 and MPLs) but I'm struggling with the 5D.
Right now I use a pretty stock build with 2 ERPPC and 2MPL in the arms and 1LPL in RT. My only mod was adding a couple of DHS and an AMS in the right torso. I find quite useless the SSRM2 in LT, I use it only against light mechs. Too much heat, too difficult to hit something far away with ERPPCs...
While I would like to have a mech with at least one ERPPC, I'm thinking to switch to a short range build swapping both ERPCCs and the SSRM2 for 2 x SRM4 and only MPLs.
Any suggestions?

Edited by invernomuto, 24 February 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#147 MaoutheGreat

• PipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

So far I'm only using the 3R and "Bounty Hunter II" and I'm pleased with both.

On the 3R I run a STD 300 with 2x AC/5 and 4x MLs. I tried it with 3x AC/5, but I ran way too hot, the AC/5 mounted lower on the torso 9 tines out of 10 wasted the shot, and I constantly ran short on ammo. In spite of only running 2x AC/5 my damage is 300+ and always get a few kills.

On the BH2 I run 3x LPLs and 4x MLs. The engine is a XL 300. The heat is atrocious on it. I've tried getting better reach with running 3x LLS and then 3x ERLLs, but I always ran out of slot space before I ran out of tonnage. My damage is normally 300+ and I hardly get kills due having to back off due to high heat.

Edited by MaoutheGreat, 24 February 2016 - 04:15 PM.

#148 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec8b6f37c739c27

My build. Probably far from being perfect. Nearly 100 kills with it right now.

Isn't a bit hot running with this build?

#149 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostMaoutheGreat, on 24 February 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

On the 3R I run a STD 300 with 2x AC/5 and 4x MLs. I tried it with 3x AC/5, but I ran way too hot, the AC/5 mounted lower on the torso 9 tines out of 10 wasted the shot, and I constantly ran short on ammo. In spite of only running 2x AC/5 my damage is 300+ and always get a few kills.

Started using a similar build for my Mad-5M, 5X Med Lasers and 2X A/C 5. It's a great support mech and got a few kills on my first drop with the build but preforms a little weak in a brawl.

#150 MaoutheGreat

• PipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 28 February 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Started using a similar build for my Mad-5M, 5X Med Lasers and 2X A/C 5. It's a great support mech and got a few kills on my first drop with the build but preforms a little weak in a brawl.

Yeah I had trouble with that too and switched to an ac/20. I still have trouble in a brawl, but I can go toe-to-toe with any other heavy mech, but it's just way too hot and die from overheating as soon as I take out the enemy. I might try with an ac/10 and 4x MPLs and see if I get better results, if not I'll go back to the dual ac/5.

I run an ac/10 with 5x MPLs on the 5M, but haven't taken it out yet.

Edited by MaoutheGreat, 28 February 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#151 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostMaoutheGreat, on 28 February 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

I run an ac/10 with 5x MPLs on the 5M, but haven't taken it out yet.

Actually just tried that one as well, does descent damage though I always loss the AC/10 early in the battle. Not sure if the bigger barrel is a easier target or if I just have bad luck.

#152 MaoutheGreat

• PipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 28 February 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

always loss the AC/10 early in the battle. Not sure if the bigger barrel is a easier target or if I just have bad luck.

I think it's just the bigger target because the same happens with the ac/20.

I also just remembered about uac/5s, so I might try those out instead.

#153 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:55 AM

I started running XL engines on my Marauders. Had them lying around from other 'Mechs that are currently not in use, so I gave it a try. And I'm kinda pleased with the results. Granted, survivability takes a considerable hit, but the increase in speed, agility and firepower feels like a worthy trade-off to me. Running the MAD with engines near it's maximum rating feels quite different than what you're getting out of a 300.

First off, my MAD-5M.
I'd love to go for three Large Lasers instead, but I really dislike heaving my ACs in the right torso and my lasers on the left arm. Plus, two LPLs are more heat efficient. Caught a few people of guard with the amount of damage that thing can dish out before heating up.

Next in line, the MAD-3R.
The AC10 does get a nice boost from the increased projectile speed and range. 540 meters optimal with a range module is a decent backup to the ER PPCs, especially thanks to running relatively cool. While the PPCs provide excellent pin-point damage at long range (thanks to the 50% projectile speed buff), they're running quite hot when continually used. Switching to regular PPCs could definitely help with that but I wanted the long range capabilities. Might drop a few points of armour on the legs and half a ton of ammo to fit another DHS, but I did fine with it as is. I'm not used to the 3R running hot, though, as I ran it as a triple AC5 dakka boat previously Posted Image

And, finally, the BOOTY HUNTER II.
I essentially used the spare tonnage from going XL to upgrade two MLAS to LLAS and stuff more DHS in. That way, I've got a little more oomph and a little more reach. A 53 point damage alpha, the ability to at least deal some damage at 500 - 600 meters and the AC10's chill DPS all add up (even though it's a little low on ammo). I may not survive as long in a brawl as I did with a STD engine, but I'm much more likely to take the other guy down with me, too Posted Image

The biggest disadvantage to running XL Marauders, I feel, is not being able to tank damage with a dead left arm and side torso. It's easy enough to twist and align your torso to channel incoming damage to the hit box you want it to go to, but that's not quite as good as deadsiding. Still worth it, though Posted Image

Edited by Luminis, 02 March 2016 - 05:56 AM.

#154 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

In my 5D i am running 3 LPL and 2 SRM6 with a STD270. It's a good mech, a tad slow but I think it maintains 62kph.

Even if it gets shouldered, it still has 2 LPL or 1 LPL and 2SRM 6, and at the end of a fight that's still a good complement.

I really struggled with this build... for a while I ran an XL with 2PPC, 1 LPL, and 2 SRM6 for a while and got varied numbers... I tried lots of different builds trying to make use of the top high mount point, but with only 1 energy there it's kinda hard to do.

#155 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

I finally got around to giving the Bounty Hunter a try. Started with this...gauss is pretty much unusable now, isn't it? I didn't mind it so much in the past, but with all the new mechs out since the added charge up mechanism, it is really unwieldy. I remembered you guys in this thread though so I trashed the Gauss and wentwith an AC/10 instead...and then I cried all over again realizing that an LB-10/X could allow for an extra heat sink, but because PGI we end up cluster rounds only instead of having the option to switch.

#156 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

I cant make the MAD-5M to work with any build. I have tried with AC20 + medium lasers, AC10 + 2xLPL +2xMPL, Gauss + medium lasers and some other mixes I have seen on this thread. Either feels it runs tad too hot or that I cant really do much damage.

With AC20 I was struggling a lot due to its short range, very low projectile speed and heat. With gauss there is no heating problem but the firerate feels very low.

On MAD-5D I have 3xLPL + 2MPL. It feels quite strong and definately the best of the builds I have tried so far due to having just lasers which I can use to pinpoint the damage on a certain area, but its boring as hell to use.

With MAD-3R I was thinking about using PPC's and Gauss or AC10, but I just dont feel its gonna be all too great for me.

I have very little experience with IS mechs overall and the only other IS mech I have is the Jagermech. And I have to say after using the Jagermech JM6-DD quite a lot with triple UAC5 + 2 medium lasers all builds I have tried with the Marauder so far has felt like a massive downgrade. I mean its either short range with good damage (laser build) or long range with not so good damage. On Jagermech I get very good damage on both short range and up to 600 meters! Plus I can keep shooting with it forever without overheating...

#157 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

^ As I was complaining above I cant make the MAD-5M to work with many setups I went throught. But I think I finally found something that is actually quite good:
https://dl.dropboxus...er%20MAD-5M.jpg

Seems I had to take a bit of the Jagermech route to make it work. Posted Image You get nice 600 meter effective range from double UAC5's so you are a good help when sniping while still being very effective at brawling range. I would even say that these two UAC5's are far better at close range than a single AC20 or even double LB-10X (<-- yeah tried that one too) because of their superior DPS. Not to mention they run way cooler than AC20 and have much faster projectile speed...

Since the UAC's are high mounted and close to your cockpit it makes it good for hill poking. Sure UAC's jam time to time and it might be a very bad thing when it happens on a brawling situation, but by holding down the trigger you can prevent that from happening.

When you need to finish someone off or when you know you only have a limited window to shoot your opponent you can start spamming it and if it doesn't happen to jam you get a crazy damage burst.

One alternative would be to remove the 2xMPL and have 5xML instead (with one additional heatsink), but I feel it runs bit too hot.

#158 Vossiewulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo, CA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

This film was recently discovered in a long-lost archive, and is of interest since other data indicates the vehicles shown were called Marauders- possibly the first vehicles so named.

It appears to be pre-spaceflight and therefore well before the development of practical energy weapons and fusion reactors, so everything you see in the video is actually powered purely by chemical reactions. Also, the few missiles (mostly called "rockets") of this period lacked guidance and were dumbfire weapons with limited range and application.

These vehicles seem to be early non-guided bombers, dropping explosives from high altitudes to minimize risk of ground fire, which itself was unguided.

In any case, should be of interest to any mechwarrior who enjoys history.

Air Force (?) - England (?) - 1940-1945 B-26 Marauder Operations

#159 Infinite Freedom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a79f81c34d5376

#160 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:01 PM

MAR-3D(S) Francis Drake

Elite'd, 300Std, 4x ML, 2x LB-X10 (5t / 100 shots), AMS, Endo, DoubleHeatsinks, Modules: Radar deprevation / LB-X reload / LB-X range / Seismic

I've been running this 3R(S) build I was at first considering a rather ridiulous build just to mess about. But after a while I found it out to be rather fun to play with by detecting how tanky the MAR can be. I survived way more brawl situations way longer than I expected and although it's really not a pinpoint sniper type of weaponry you can dish out crude and brutaly. Firing the LBX in chain-fire you can dish out a round every second and with 5t of ammo (100 shots) you can sustain LBX fire over a significant amount of time without compromising your ammo too much and 4 ML are a neat fallback weapon. Since I packed also additional Double Heatsinks I very rarely experience unmanageable heat issues.

I choose the name for the fact that Francis Drake was a(n) (in)famous "pirate" and "marauder" and having equipped this boat with huge cannons really left me no other choice ;-) The Phraken camo was finally just the icing on the cake.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users