847 replies to this topic

#401 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Oh, if only it were that easy for me to do. As soon as I have money, again, I'll look into that, hehe.

#402 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationCity of Bochum, Planet Menke

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostIronhawk, on 05 May 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

I do not believe I have seen anyone do this one before... Figured that since it is the official icon for the forum, we might as well reverse engineer the complete design for MW:O.

Posted Image

EDITED: Longer sword and minor touch ups:

Posted Image

Adding a green on black version EDITED as per Adridos's and Hayden's (on DA) comments:

Posted Image

Adding a ceremonial version jpg file:

Posted Image

Hail to Sun-Tsu! Great work!!!
My question now is what can you make out of this (original) patch:

Posted Image

Do you and others see the difference?
And no, i´m not talking of the wrong positioning of the picture...
Everyone of you should know this.
For me this type of modern swordarm is the one i prefer...
Even type of sword looks cooler...

Edited by Stefano McCarron, 03 June 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#403 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Stefano,

Interesting challenge. I do see the difference. I have taken some liberties however and do hope you will enjoy the result. I have made the 'modern' arm mechanical, have made the blood a bit more graphic and have changed the short sword to an updated design following some research. Feedback is welcome.

EDIT: Rotation applied as per Stefano's feedback
Posted Image
EDIT: Alternate sword
Posted Image

Edited by Ironhawk, 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#404 Gunfighter 11

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

I think it would be a good thing to allow the ability to add your own unit insignias for a custom feel.. people have said girls are more about the aesthetics but people are into games which are customizable even as far as clan or unit insignias.. new units and clans pop up like no tomorrow and i think it would bring a new level of personal identity into the game.. as well as clans..

#405 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey! Nice!!!

Please turn the whole pic a bit, i know the photo of the patch was the same but it is wrong!
The triangle should have the position it normally has...
And the sword on the patchphoto seems to be more like a katana with the edge cut...
Would be nice too, to see the emblem with green marble look!

#406 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Alright, gang, I spent a bit of time trying to puzzle this out, but I didn't come up with something I liked. I have, however, put both of these up for a vote on the AU forums, and the one on the left has a unanimous following, with not one vote for the new one on the right...

Posted Image Posted Image

If someone would like to come up with a different version of this patch, or the original patch, from above in this thread, with these elements -perhaps a much better done Raven 'Mech- I would certainly entertain that. As for the lettering of the patch on the left, the top is Invisible Killer font, which I felt apropo for a recon element, and the bottom is MPBT 3025, normal. A bit more work could have been done on the Armageddon Unlimited at the bottom, but the Outriders Recon at the top really isn't that bad. As for the left patch being too busy... I'm not sure I can agree with that. It's certainly not as busy as many of the real-world military patches I've seen. :D

Anyway, if anyone has better work and/or a better idea, I would love to see it, please? However, not a completely new concept.

#407 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 03 June 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Alright, gang, I spent a bit of time trying to puzzle this out, but I didn't come up with something I liked. I have, however, put both of these up for a vote on the AU forums, and the one on the left has a unanimous following, with not one vote for the new one on the right...

Posted Image Posted Image

If someone would like to come up with a different version of this patch, or the original patch, from above in this thread, with these elements -perhaps a much better done Raven 'Mech- I would certainly entertain that. As for the lettering of the patch on the left, the top is Invisible Killer font, which I felt apropo for a recon element, and the bottom is MPBT 3025, normal. A bit more work could have been done on the Armageddon Unlimited at the bottom, but the Outriders Recon at the top really isn't that bad. As for the left patch being too busy... I'm not sure I can agree with that. It's certainly not as busy as many of the real-world military patches I've seen. :D

Anyway, if anyone has better work and/or a better idea, I would love to see it, please? However, not a completely new concept.

Cannot see them :P

ED: I can see them now! I think the biggest issue that I would bring up is the sheer number of colors, if you intend to make patches. Something Dhim and I discovered when he had patches made up for his unit is that multiple colors = higher costs. Anyway, back to the patches, I think I prefer the second one as it is less busy and more uniform in color.

Edited by Hayden, 04 June 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#408 Bullet Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

Here's several different insignia for the Windbourne Highlanders, the emblems for the regiments are not final, the main unit insignia isn't quite yet either, but it seems to be the dominant design:

Windbourne Highlanders Merc Corp. Insignia:

Posted Image

1st Highland Banshees: (1st regiment)

Posted Image

2nd Highland Banshees: (2nd regiment)

Posted Image

Redcap Raiders: (3rd regiment)

Posted Image

Edited by Bullet Magnet, 04 June 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#409 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostBullet Magnet, on 04 June 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

Here's several different insignia for the Windbourne Highlanders, the emblems for the regiments are not final, the main unit insignia isn't quite yet either, but it seems to be the dominant design:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice stuff! Really well done! :D

#410 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostBullet Magnet, on 04 June 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, really well done!

#411 Gunfighter 11

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

Wow i wish i could figure out how to put mine on here.. is Pretty B.A.

#412 Gunfighter 11

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Posted Image can you do anything with this

Edited by Gunfighter 11, 04 June 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#413 Gunfighter 11

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

Posted Image how about this one

Posted Image or this one...

#414 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I did a search and couldn't find it... has the Pitcairn Legion been done yet? It is a badass unit with a badass history (think sorta like the A-Team). They are easily one of the coolest canon units most of you probably haven't heard about. I have yet to see a version of their insignia in color. Could sure use it:
Posted Image
http://www.sarna.net...Pitcairn_Legion

Edited by MagnusEffect, 04 June 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#415 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

hehe, Hayden, that's one of my least colorful patches, hehe. You've seen the AU standard, you recolored one for me, hehe. Well, I'm working on something of a hybrid of the old patch and the new, and I'll see what I can do with it. My problem is, I don't like how the Raven turned out, I don't have GIMP installed since the crash, anymore, and I'm not keen to attempt to use it, again, since it didn't work the first time... PSD files do not work in GIMP as they do in PS, and the VERY limited transparency settings in PhotoImpact 4 are high-tolerance, so there's really no way to get something just right. I'll deal, but the Raven in the meantime doesn't look very good.

#416 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 04 June 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I did a search and couldn't find it... has the Pitcairn Legion been done yet? It is a badass unit with a badass history (think sorta like the A-Team). They are easily one of the coolest canon units most of you probably haven't heard about. I have yet to see a version of their insignia in color. Could sure use it:
Posted Image
http://www.sarna.net...Pitcairn_Legion

Your picture seems to be the symbol of the Outworld Alliance...
combined with the FedSun Sword...
Shouldn´t be difficult to build.
Here a coloured help:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Stefano McCarron, 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#417 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I know Hayden has a really nice Outworlds done up somewhere in here...

#418 Aidan Ramsdell

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Can the Blazing Ace's patch be done? It's a merc company (My company) and I think that a reboot is in order.

EDIT:
Does anyone know how to post an image? 'Cause I can't get it up on here...

Edited by Aidan Ramsdell, 07 June 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#419 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Ok, gonna do a few insignia pieces... first one is something I'm rather proud of. Paladin Brewer, who has been active in the DC community, requested that I whip up a revision the of the insignia for his "9th Sword of the Dragon". After about a week of back-and-forth work, I transformed his insignia from this:
Posted Image

...to this:
Posted Image
We literally went through three major iterations of design proposal before we settled on this. I feel rather satisfied with the results.

ED: OWA's Pitcairn Legion!
Posted Image

Kincade's Rangers
Posted Image

ED: More to come.

Edited by Hayden, 26 June 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#420 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

;)
I wrote it some where sometimes the choice of a faction could only be caused by a picture - and i wouldn't be surprised when a bunch of new not affiliated players are no rushing to joint the 9th SL* - outstanding work

(*) - me not me hate Snakes

Edited by Karl Streiger, 14 June 2012 - 02:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users