Petition To Remove "a Battletech Game" From Title.

364 replies to this topic

#101 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

View PostChronoBear, on 17 November 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

I guess time will tell. I feel as gamers we really missed out on a good change that could have lead to even more changes. The laser lock thing.... Oh well.

"Ghost Lasers" would create more problems than it would fix. The meta would shift back to PPFLD with PPC/Gauss/ACs and laser vomit would be much weaker. There really isn't a good reason to implement a convoluted mechanic as a band-aid for the current meta. After 1 month, the people that are complaining about the "meta" would be complaining about pinpoint front loaded damage killing them too fast.

#102 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 17 November 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

And given he owns the company and holds the MW License, those are his decisions to make. Just because those decisions don't meet your particular "expectations" of a MW title means nothing in the grand scheme.

It is obvious that Russ could see going in, he would never please everyone. It turned out to be a self fulfilling prophecy ffs. :)

If we left it to the "All knowing Armchair Devs" around here, we would not likely be playing MWO at all. So there is that... ;)

hmmm yes... good business practice.... focus on fickle low or no spending casuals... or retaining a solid player base of middle aged, middle classed willing to spend Whales.

#103 saKhan Steiner Lawl Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

#104 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostDracol, on 17 November 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Differance between now and then:
Then - Gyrok called for change in the system (what we r getting in Cw phase 3 by the way)
Now - Gyrok is calling the game none battletexh cauze the clan tech is nerfed to is levels

Clan v clan didnt cause him to want to quit. Clan tech on par with IS tech has. Therefore, it appears he cares more for clan advantage over clan lore.

View PostDracol, on 17 November 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Differance between now and then:
Then - Gyrok called for change in the system (what we r getting in Cw phase 3 by the way)
Now - Gyrok is calling the game none battletexh cauze the clan tech is nerfed to is levels

Clan v clan didnt cause him to want to quit. Clan tech on par with IS tech has. Therefore, it appears he cares more for clan advantage over clan lore.

Actually...we quit playing CW because it was fukt over the BS that was the mercs in CW.

Also, CW phase 3 is not getting what I called for either...

#105 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 17 November 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

No, there's a couple of chassis per weight class which are considered meta but the quirks made alot of old chassis good again. There will always be only a couple of chassis which are considered meta, that's the name of the game, but compared to pre-quirks alot of chassis are really viable these days, even if they aren't meta.

Meta is also tied to the available tonnage/podspace, hardpoints+hardpoint layout and hitboxes which often aren't easily balanced by the current quirk system.

Yes. You said exactly what I said. I never said meta. I said considered "good". I promise you that whatever the current meta is, there's a select few chassis in each weight class that are the "norm", not "good". I've never used meta builds (well now I see lasers are the current meta so my LL boats might finally get some kudos after 4 years). I have, however, used "good" chassis. Even with quirks you still have a select few chassis that are just generally considered flat out better than other chassis.
Quirks were around before I left. I've played with quirks. I've read and kept up with things (I just have no practical experience recently to comment on actual balancing of weapons and such). You get the exact same (and I do mean exact same) arguments you got 4 years ago.

If an issue persists for 4 years and it's a constant talking point on the forums and players (new and old alike) agree that something is "broken", then chances are it goes well beyond fanboyism, white knighting, trolling, etc.

There is and always has been a huge discrepancy in usefullness of mechs. Drop decks didn't help because you get one generic drop deck for every single type of mission. A very simplistic and easy way to see more variety in mechs and loadouts and drop decks? Alter drop deck weights based on mission type.

Going on an initial recon or harassment type mission? Great! Your drop deck for all 4 mechs is now 180 tons for attacker and xx tons for defender. Problem solved. You're always going to get metas within thouse boundaries, but by offering a variety of mission types and weight restrictions.

Want to help diversify more? That's also easy to implement. PUt weight class restrictions on the drop decks as well. The above example? Simply add in class restrictions.
180 tons and no assualts, limit one heavy mech, and no mechs that travel under 70/kph

See that? It's a very simplistic way to add more depth to just about every aspect of the game.

Want to stop "cheese" decks of 4 identical mechs? Add in a limitation of no duplicate chassis.

See how easy that was? See how simplistic i was? It required absolutely zero reworking of maps, mechs, weapons, balancing, the CW system, etc. The only thing it requires is a few lines of code to put in place different drop deck limitations.

Instead of 2 mission types?
You already have every game mode you need to increase mission types.
Planet A is owned 100% by Faction A.
Faction B wants to attack Planet A.
Faction B must first start with those "light" missions and successfully take xx% of planetary control before they can progress and launch "heavier" missions with heavier drop deck options.

Mission Example layout. Using the above example I'll show you how it would work from stage 1 and how the missions would progress.

Faction B attacks planet in above scenario. Mission options available.
Skrmish
Recon
Hit and Run
Each of the above missions can net up to x % of the planetary control

Once Faction B has acquired 20% of a planet they gain access to the next tier of missions.
Beachhead
Forward operating post
Assault
Each of the above can net up to x% of the planetary control.

Once they hit 50% they gain access to the final tier
Capitol assault
Sabotage

Same as above. Each tier and mission type has a separate drop deck requirement. If the defending faction wins then they receive the net gain of planetary %.

Everything needed for every single one of those missions is already coded into the game. Capture points, timers, bases, base defenses, etc. That simple change and adjustment would add all the diversity you want.

Please note, all of the above examples are just that, examples. Please don't bother replying with specific details on numbers and such. All of that can easily be adjusted to ensure balance and diversity while increasing the depth of the entire game.

#106 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Well this has not been a BT game for some time due to changes made for various reasons. It has some resembelence though not complete. Generic feel is the result of certain decisions made (no 10 Clan vs 12 IS for example). Should have done the same as HB is doing, start with 3025, would have been more limited tech wise but balanced and could have focused more on balancing the little amount right than the larger amount they have now.

Speaking of, if they cannot balance what tech they have now, what makes you think they can balance a bigger tech load? Just because it is later more developed tech? Nope.

Clans do get some upgraded tech later too, not as much as IS but some.

While certain problems I can fault PGI and previously IGP for, I have to admit certain problems are on the players.

I am reserving MWO as a 'every now and then' game to play for the moment.

#107 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 November 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

I dunno.. Gyrok seems to keep thinking that a King Crab compares well to a Dire Wolf (even though that's totally crazy).

So... it's crying over spilled milk honestly.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db5d238bb49a658

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b193b1e25352db5

Please review max sustained DPS and talk to me about how they do not compare.

Please be able to speak intelligently about topics at hand. Also, KGC can run a STD engine there...not that it will be super relevant with arm mounted weapons...but survival is not an issue.

GG.

#108 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostGyrok, on 17 November 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Actually when you don't put an engine or any heatsinks in in, smurfy doesn't calculate sustained DPS and instead just displays the Max. Not that sustained DPS means much anyway.

Please be able to speak intelligently about topics at hand

GG

Edited by K1ttykat, 20 November 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#109 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostK1ttykat, on 17 November 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Actually when you don't put an engine or any heatsinks in in, smurfy doesn't calculate sustained DPS and instead just displays the Max. Not that sustained DPS means much anyway.

Please be able to speak intelligently about topics at hand

GG

The DW has 11.60 max sustained.

Build the KGC like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1d9c90d87776b6c

Since you are too damn lazy to look for yourself...let me hold your hand like a 2 year old and show you...

OMG! 10.96 sustained DPS with more speed, better twist speed, more focused fire, and every bit as much ammo...?

But...WTF?!?!? Clans OP???

Wake up moron. Do you need everyone to do everything for you? Do you live in your mother's basement?

Edited by Gyrok, 17 November 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#110 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Please be able to speak intelligently about topics at hand. Also, KGC can run a STD engine there...not that it will be super relevant with arm mounted weapons...but survival is not an issue.

GG.

All you did was confirm my point.

You don't build mechs with 0 armor and 0 ammo, and that's before you bother to put in an engine for the Crab.

Just stop before you prove my point further.

#111 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 November 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

hmmm yes... good business practice.... focus on fickle low or no spending casuals... or retaining a solid player base of middle aged, middle classed willing to spend Whales.

Who all apparently could run a gaming company and build a MW title better than those who are actually doing it. I will stick with those who "do" versus those who just "say they could do". Thanks.

#112 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 17 November 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

If we left it to the "All knowing Armchair Devs" around here, we would not likely be playing MWO at all. So there is that... ;)

Oh didn't you know that Gyrok is a game dev... so he knows everything... which is the only thing he left out of a typical Gyrok rant.

I would say Gyrok is the boy who cried Wolf, but I guess he is just the Wolf who cried wolf, he has done this so many times, no one in the forums cares what he says, and I a sure PGI cares even less.

Edited by TKSax, 17 November 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#113 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 17 November 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

In fact having a giant "QUICK PLAY" button is a deliberate FU to any game player ever. Someone hates video games is clear. I will remind that person that video games wouldnt be as advanced or as popular if other things had not already gone in the trash leaving little to no alternatives for people trying to have a bit a fun and not pushed into being hooked on drugs or alchahol or jail or worse. Big subject, but wake up and do the math. Video games are exactly where they are among other things because of this sort of thing.

Holy ****! What is your malfunction?

GG.

Are you really, like really, trying to argue that the KGC is more powerful than the DWF?

Does the KGC gauss vomit for 84 points of concentrated damage at 450m+ range? Does the KGC double tap UACs for a 100 damage burst? Does the KGC see as much competitive play as the DWF? The answer to each of these questions is a resounding no. You are absolutely embarrassing yourself.

Edited by Leiska, 17 November 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#114 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 17 November 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Who all apparently could run a gaming company and build a MW title better than those who are actually doing it. I will stick with those who "do" versus those who just "say they could do". Thanks.

and when the blind follow the blind, both will fall into a pit......

It's not a matter of "knowing how to code a game better".

It's a matter of not being blind to the game bleeding players, and the desperate scrambles and changes to MM to compensate for lack of playerbase.

But by all means, keeps up the blind faith.

#115 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostSandpit, on 17 November 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

If an issue persists for 4 years and it's a constant talking point on the forums and players (new and old alike) agree that something is "broken", then chances are it goes well beyond fanboyism, white knighting, trolling, etc.

I don't think perfect balance is achievable and I don't demand it and I also think some mechs will *always* have a hard time finding a niche. PGI should do(..and I think they are really trying..) their best to smoothen these (performance)curves out and maybe some of us should give up the thought that each mech can/will be equal.

Your follow-up was kinda interesting, though, because I said something similar in a different thread(2nd part, starting with birds eye view): http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4828529

Not sure if you were replying to that, partly. I guess so. Your idea is just this, tho: Play the same game modes within new loadout boundaries hence shifting the meta to a different set of mechs for this particular scenario. So, in a exemplary nutshell, playing Skirmish but only with Lights. Sounds like fun. Very simplistic, just like you said.

Not that your idea is without merits, I WOULD prefer it to what we have now.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 17 November 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#116 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

I dunno why, but this whole post just made me chuckle.

#117 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 17 November 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

So, umm, are you guys always that negative? Would you prefer 80% of the chassis to be complete crap while the other 20% is played by 90% of the population? Or do you want to feel at least useful in the majority of chassis?

No, most of of have become bitter since putting in money to a game promised to be a role warfare, not my fathers MechWarrior, Battletech based game.

Many of the most bitter are people who have been here since the start. Click my name and look at the url for my profile. Notice the 25, this is the fact is was so zealous of the game I am the 25th registered user on these forums. So no, I was not this bitter. It was the fact the Clans got ignored, and was more of a money grab to a fan base that did not have a MechWarrior based on the Clans since MechWarrior 2... Which was and still is a fantastic game, o go back and beat it every few months... I have become better due to them taking the minimal effort to make a game, and a core game mode with minimal effort... I use to be the person telling bitter players to just wait a year, they need time to develop the game... What have we got? Clan Mechs that cost more, that are balanced with the less expensive inner sphere tech, and a faction that has steeped lore that was effectivly thrown to the wind just so they could get more money... I am all for business and them needing to pay the Dev team... But honestly, they would make a crap ton more if they kept the game Battletech and not stompy robot shooter online. They think it is all too much for new players to absorb... Like you know, Ghost heat... That gets almost no explanation to a new player and a system that makes little sense.

I said before and I will say it again, and in the future. They had many viable options to introduce Clan, not OP Clan Mechs, but a superior Clan Mech with restrictions based around the clan flavour... Want to get a point, tpp damage dealer gets the point. You got the last shot, good for you but you do not get the points as you did not do the core of the damage. In a world where we have games with ridiculous achievements that you have to spin around 5 times, throw a grenade in the air, catch it and throw it to kill someone... They could not code a different flavour for the clan faction?

As they could have given inner sphere, mercenaries and Clans each their own flavour, like the said they were planning during their fabulous beta 2.0 launch party last September.. But instead I am still using lances on the game screen..

Minimal viable product with minimal viable effort to maximize profits off a fan base that has not had a game in a decade... Then less effort for a lesser product to maximize profit in a faction that has not had a game represent them since late 90s.

#118 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 November 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

I dunno why, but this whole post just made me chuckle.

You actually read all of it? :o

#119 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostGyrok, on 17 November 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

Since you are too damn lazy to look for yourself...let me hold your hand like a 2 year old and show you...

OMG! 10.96 sustained DPS with more speed, better twist speed, more focused fire, and every bit as much ammo...?

Wake up moron. Do you need everyone to do everything for you? Do you live in your mother's basement?

Gyrok there are a lot of things to consider in a mech besides sustained DPS (in which case the DWF is still higher). Burst DPS matters in more situations than max sustained DPS. Mech hitboxes and hardpoint locations also matter. The KGC has all of it's armament in low slung arms. Most of the DWF ballistic hardpoints are in the torsos and have a much easier time with convergence and shooting over low cover.

Of course, you didn't consider any of these things because you are Gyrok and IS mechs are OP. I'm sorry Clan mechs aren't as OP as you want them to be but don't be a cuntwaffle Gyrok, more balanced gameplay will retain more players.

Edited by pwnface, 17 November 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#120 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 November 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

All you did was confirm my point.

You don't build mechs with 0 armor and 0 ammo, and that's before you bother to put in an engine for the Crab.

Just stop before you prove my point further.

View PostGyrok, on 17 November 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users