551 replies to this topic

#541 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

As someone running an hbk-iic-b a lot currently (leveling it), you don't run tag. Even in a LRM boat. Still get your own locks, but tag is unnecessary.

A second energy weapon is too important. Having only room for one, single slot E weapon is insufficient for not being useless.

ECM pretty much never cloaks whole teams anymore, and definitely doesn't at t3 and lower levels.

So, yeah, you don't need tag for locks, and honestly these days its more of a disadvantage than anything.

Did OP even have any weapons besides LRMs?

Posted Image

I'm running Artemis less and less these days (so I still take TAG) and having only a single energy point on a mech isn't as detrimental when you've got CLRMs that do damage under 180m. You would know better than me though...I don't have any IICs.

#542 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

The damage under 180m is highly overrated. You do half damage at 130m, inside there they do basically nothing. Even then, tracking speed is so slow that even close mediums are hard to hit and tend to avoid a lot of missiles anyways.

#543 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

PGI should implement a system similar to MW:LL. LRMs will follow their target, like Streaks, if TAG or NARC is on the target. PGI should also remove the AMS and NARC modules. They really should be baseline instead.

#544 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

As someone running an hbk-iic-b a lot currently (leveling it), you don't run tag. Even in a LRM boat. Still get your own locks, but tag is unnecessary.

A second energy weapon is too important. Having only room for one, single slot E weapon is insufficient for not being useless.

ECM pretty much never cloaks whole teams anymore, and definitely doesn't at t3 and lower levels.

So, yeah, you don't need tag for locks, and honestly these days its more of a disadvantage than anything.

For lurms target decay + adv sensor does wonders...

Ecm does nothing in the 90 to 250m window that adv sensor can counteract it...

I didn't even run tag even when the sliver was smaller before ecm nerf

#545 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 December 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

The damage under 180m is highly overrated. You do half damage at 130m, inside there they do basically nothing. Even then, tracking speed is so slow that even close mediums are hard to hit and tend to avoid a lot of missiles anyways.

Shows you how much I run CLRMs (I don't)...figured they were linear damage under 180m this whole time. My Clan Wave 1 mechs are pretty dusty.

View PostMycrus, on 29 December 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

For lurms target decay + adv sensor does wonders...

Ecm does nothing in the 90 to 250m window that adv sensor can counteract it...

I didn't even run tag even when the sliver was smaller before ecm nerf

I run TAG for the missile lock time decrease mainly, not the anti-ECM effects (for the most part).

#546 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 29 December 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Shows you how much I run CLRMs (I don't)...figured they were linear damage under 180m this whole time. My Clan Wave 1 mechs are pretty dusty.
yeah, its pretty much a logarithmic falloff. They still technically do damage (better than zero at 179m!) But it falls off so fast, its not reliable as close in support.

I run TAG for the missile lock time decrease mainly, not the anti-ECM effects (for the most part).
TAG certainly still has its place, but on the hbk in particular, not so much. The opportunity cost is too high. 2erml > 1erml+tag, easily.

#547 Karthathan

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

#548 Nastity Choblereaper

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Personally, I don't care for heavy and assault mechs that use lrms because, as some have stated, there is a tendency for their pilots to hang back and not share their armor. However, I am equally irritated by heavies and assaults that use PPCs and ERLLs for the same reason, but they don't seem to draw the same amount of animosity from the community at large.

Personally, I like to run brawler assaults, though I may have LL or LPL to be able to reach out and touch some distant targets. However, I always spend the pre-match time in the lobby reminding players to lock on to targets. Why? because some people don't do it. As an assault, I don't have the speed to reposition when the numbers aren't in my favor. So you can imagine the anger I feel when I find out that some members of my team knew that 6 enemies were coming around the left side (or wherever) but chose to NOT share that info with the team by locking on to at least one of them.

I've also seen some folks claim that being asked to hold locks is obnoxious because you are being asked to put yourself in danger for the team's benefit. Well, guess what? Every time you ask the heavies and assaults to push, you are asking them to endanger themselves for the team's benefit. Would you like those pilots to respond with "push your damn self?" Of course not, that is selfish and counterproductive. The same goes for responding to a request for locks with "get your own locks."

But, perhaps there is a simple misunderstanding here. Perhaps folks don't realize that when someone says "please hold locks" they don't mean "stand directly in front of the enemy and let him destroy you so that I can fire missiles," they actually mean "I am capable of providing long range indirect fire support so please lock on to the enemy at your discretion." That sentence, however, takes a while to type or say, so instead of hogging the mic or filling the teamchat with a wall of text, they abbreviate it to "please hold locks."

And finally, to the people who claim that all the good pilots are already locking on to the enemies whenever they can, I would like to say: yes, but the less experienced pilots aren't; and the only way less experienced pilots will learn is if the more experienced pilots give them helpful advice. Advice like "please hold locks."

So, from an assault pilot who hates using lrms, I leave these final words: "Don't be a moron. Please hold locks. At your discretion."

#549 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostNastity Choblereaper, on 23 April 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

Personally, I don't care for heavy and assault mechs that use lrms because, as some have stated, there is a tendency for their pilots to hang back and not share their armor. However, I am equally irritated by heavies and assaults that use PPCs and ERLLs for the same reason, but they don't seem to draw the same amount of animosity from the community at large.

Personally, I like to run brawler assaults, though I may have LL or LPL to be able to reach out and touch some distant targets. However, I always spend the pre-match time in the lobby reminding players to lock on to targets. Why? because some people don't do it. As an assault, I don't have the speed to reposition when the numbers aren't in my favor. So you can imagine the anger I feel when I find out that some members of my team knew that 6 enemies were coming around the left side (or wherever) but chose to NOT share that info with the team by locking on to at least one of them.

I've also seen some folks claim that being asked to hold locks is obnoxious because you are being asked to put yourself in danger for the team's benefit. Well, guess what? Every time you ask the heavies and assaults to push, you are asking them to endanger themselves for the team's benefit. Would you like those pilots to respond with "push your damn self?" Of course not, that is selfish and counterproductive. The same goes for responding to a request for locks with "get your own locks."

But, perhaps there is a simple misunderstanding here. Perhaps folks don't realize that when someone says "please hold locks" they don't mean "stand directly in front of the enemy and let him destroy you so that I can fire missiles," they actually mean "I am capable of providing long range indirect fire support so please lock on to the enemy at your discretion." That sentence, however, takes a while to type or say, so instead of hogging the mic or filling the teamchat with a wall of text, they abbreviate it to "please hold locks."

And finally, to the people who claim that all the good pilots are already locking on to the enemies whenever they can, I would like to say: yes, but the less experienced pilots aren't; and the only way less experienced pilots will learn is if the more experienced pilots give them helpful advice. Advice like "please hold locks."

So, from an assault pilot who hates using lrms, I leave these final words: "Don't be a moron. Please hold locks. At your discretion."

please dont necro a thread from 4 months ago

#550 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

When I play an Lrm equipped mech, I skirt the battle and take targets of opportunity. If the team I am with locks targets while doing their thing, I put our more missiles and cause more enemy targets to flinch. If the team is a bunch of morons, I'll find a straggler and take him out. Then I'll find another and do it again. Either way, my team usually wins, one way gets me more kmdd etc... the other way ensures that more of my team survives to the victory screen. Really all depends on how ******** my team mates are. Smart team mates hit r, dumb ones don't.

#551 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

View PostExtremist Pain, on 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

MechWarrior is a team game. Im not sure where this belief that supporting your team is too much. For example, i was just asking for locks in a game and i was told to get my own locks. Im sorry if asking for a contribution is too much, but if you dont feel like being a member of the team, dont play a team based game. You think you can win this game without my help, go ahead and try. Ill enjoy watching you fail.

Don't be a scrub.
You can shoot LRMs from 300m. You don't need to cower behind your teams armor. Get your own locks.

#552 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 23 April 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

please dont necro a thread from 4 months ago

I'm going to close this as well... and a verbal warning to anyone else that necros a thread from here on:

You will be given a warning from now on, as you should know and understand the CoC when you post, even if it is your first post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users