551 replies to this topic

#501 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

No volts. They've just found more long-winded and convoluted ways to say it in an effort to look respectable while doing it.

Edited by Kjudoon, 29 December 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#502 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostExtremist Pain, on 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

MechWarrior is a team game. Im not sure where this belief that supporting your team is too much. For example, i was just asking for locks in a game and i was told to get my own locks. Im sorry if asking for a contribution is too much, but if you dont feel like being a member of the team, dont play a team based game. You think you can win this game without my help, go ahead and try. Ill enjoy watching you fail.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

ALRIGHT, I get it. You're gonna be a game-changer in that LRM boat. And IN REAL LIFE, indirect fire support of maneuver is a MUST-HAVE. THIS IS NOT THAT. THIS IS A GAME. The game has developed such that, at the moment, sitting back at comfortable distance to spam LRMs at non-line-of-sight targets is A.) NOT team work, and B.) WASTEFUL expenditure of LRMs.

A.) While the LRM 'boat' is sitting in the rear with the beer, the other mechs on that team are eating a lot of damage. If they face the same volume of fire, then for each mech not facing that fire, the ones facing it take about 8% MORE of it. Your buddies appreciate it. They didn't NEED that armor, anyhow.

B.) Non-line-of-sight typically means a longer flight time for the missiles, means more time to get behind cover, means less opportunity for the missiles to actually HIT the target. Those missiles are a valuable, limited resource. It'd be nice if you could make sure they're gonna hit their target before you cut them loose. Good ol' R&R costs, had we disposed of that easily-abused 75% rule, would probably fix at least this one thing, but that's water under the bridge...

Look, I used to like to 'scout'. No one else liked that I scouted, of course. I'll happily blow a 40,000 CBill UAV RIGHT OVER TOP OF the enemy, having to get WAY too close for comfort to place it well, and sometimes getting killed for it, so the friendlies know where the enemy is and can direct LRMs at them. I die, I go to spectate from my team's LRM boat, and what do I see? NO ROUNDS OUT. You've got to be f****n' KIDDING me! I DIED to get you that target-rich environment, and you're gonna chill back here with your thumb up your ***? AWESOME...

So, I dropped that s**t like a bad habit. F**K that. Don't need it. GET YOUR OWN F***ING LOCKS, or I WILL accept the team damage penalty and leg your boat...

#503 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

Rabbbi, dude. Have a snickers.

#504 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

Okay, so maybe I won't LEG the boat. Sorry. Not myself when I'm hungry...

But IS PPC to the back at 40m is still cool, right?

#505 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

I dislike LURM boats far less than I dislike those gonad-lacking Gauss snipers sitting back at map edge.

Having said that as a brawler if I had a CBill payout for everytime I lost back armor to incoming friendly missiles I'd have been able to buy a couple free mechs by now.

So:
Gauss Snipers = higher coward quotient
LURM Boats = more FF damage to teammates

Pick your poison.

#506 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 29 December 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

Rabbbi, dude. Have a snickers.

#507 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

If you expose yourself as little as possible to LoS return fire from the enemy, because it is dangerous, why in the name of frack would you expect, or force, an allied LRM carrier, who has to without helpful "Locks" to have to do it if they don't have to?

Press "R" you wusses and get with the program already. ;)

P.S. Assuming that ALL LRM carrying Mechs sit back @900m is simply a BS excuse for not being a Team player. :(

#508 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 29 December 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

If you expose yourself as little as possible to LoS return fire from the enemy, because it is dangerous, why in the name of frack would you expect, or force, an allied LRM carrier, who has to without helpful "Locks" to have to do it if they don't have to?

Press "R" you wusses and get with the program already. Posted Image

P.S. Assuming that ALL LRM carrying Mechs sit back @900m is simply a BS excuse for not being a Team player. Posted Image

TRUE. And to the OP's credit, I did eventually read further to where he (HE, right?) stated that he stays with the big pack and pulls his share. THAT is good, and it is NOT the typical "LOCKS PLZ" LRM boater behavior that we love to slam around here. KUDOS!

That said, if you're in the pack, and you need the PACK to get your locks, then you're not really IN the pack, are you? Maybe, maybe not.

It's tougher than just "Press 'R'", y'know. And yeah, I know you know. And now you know that I know that you know. Etc. You've got to have that target for a few seconds for that LRM mech to even get a lock, and longer yet for the missiles to get to target. It's FINE if, say, you're a sneaky little scout mech, chillin' where no one sees you, and can just call out targets all day. NOT so cool if you're trying to stay in the pack AND stay alive AND win trades. You've got to roll out, take your shots, and roll back into cover while the next guy rolls out. AND, the other team's players, if they're not COMPLETE newbs, are doing the same thing. So, it's a little more complicated, unless you happen to WANT to die in 10-12 seconds so that LRM mech can get some more damage.

Or, y'know, whatever.

Still, AWESOME SAUCE if the mech with the lurms is sharing the pain and staying closer to the fight. That's how it should be in MWO...

#509 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 29 December 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I WILL accept the team damage penalty and leg your boat...

and get banned because I WILL report you and laugh

#510 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

LRM boats are not nearly as irritating as all the wanna be snipers in this game. I say irritating because usually the most aggressive teams win in public matches and you can't get sniper types to move closer than 700m to the enemy. Light mech pilots that only want the speed to zip around and stay alive the longest are even more irritating. Those guys who will tack another 5 minutes onto a match when the score is 11/0 against them. They run off on their own and hide and pop out only to try and get a kill when a mech is heavily damaged. Usually they do nothing but waste other peoples time. Then there are the brawlers who want to leg hump enemy mechs to death blocking anyone else from doing damage and crying a river when they take team damage. There are players with poor play styles in every role.

Fact is that LRMs are most effective under 400 meters with a direct lock on the target but they are the only indirect fire in the game and indirect fire is effective. If you find yourself stuck away from your team against multiple mechs you better lock and hope someone is going to send you some support or you are going to get torn apart real quick.

#511 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Am I reading this right? Are people arguing against getting (and holding) locks? All in the name of 'LRM boats should be playing the way I think they should.' Oooo...how unreasonable of a team mate to ask you to get a lock! Never mind that getting a lock is the equivalent of saying 'hey, look over hear...it's really important.' Never mind that just the threat of a flight of LRMs on the way are generally enough to pin or push back the enemy. None of that is as important as making someone else go and play the way 'you' think they should. No, I don't think an LRM boat sitting back at 900 to 1000 meters is them being a team player, but neither do I think expecting them to be within 300 to 400 meters of the enemy is reasonable. I would rather have their missiles than nothing at all...and if I don't get a lock, nothing at all is what I will get.

Seriously, people. Stop thinking you know better than anyone else and that your job is to teach (read: force) others to play 'your' way. Asking for locks is not such a big burden. It's a lot easier than trying to force someone to play the way you think they should.

NOTE TO SELF: After to reading through the posts from the 'get you own locks' crowd' I understand so much better why teams fall apart and a match that should have been won is lost.

#512 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostSupersmacky, on 29 December 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

No, I don't think an LRM boat sitting back at 900 to 1000 meters is them being a team player, but neither do I think expecting them to be within 300 to 400 meters of the enemy is reasonable. I would rather have their missiles than nothing at all...and if I don't get a lock, nothing at all is what I will get.

Seriously, people. Stop thinking you know better than anyone else and that your job is to teach (read: force) others to play 'your' way. Asking for locks is not such a big burden. It's a lot easier than trying to force someone to play the way you think they should.

NOTE TO SELF: After to reading through the posts from the 'get you own locks' crowd' I understand so much better why teams fall apart and a match that should have been won is lost.

Noone should ask for locks, it should be one thing that you do automaticaly.
Knowing where the enemy is, where they move and how many are there helps in winning.
Removing a gauss or legging a lite helps in winning, but you cant do it without locking the enemy and seeing its paperdoll.
If you have an open torso you hope that your allys mark the enemys, it helps you using the moment to fire your weapons without dying, it helps winning.
Even a lazy lrm boat that sits 900m can make that dakkomonster take cover and not firing, but the boat-pilot dont know what he would have done if te has fighted at 300-500m. Dont *****, explain him why staying at the battleline can make him doing much better and winning more. He dont know it better ...

Edited by Galenit, 29 December 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#513 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hehe... No kidding.. to me locks have nothing to do with LRM's anyway...

Best teams i am on... People trade off locks!!!! TARGET HOTEL Atlas just over a ridge.. one guy peeks, and locks, and blasts.. and drops back.. Another guy from another angle, as the first guy is twisting and backing up, grabs the lock.. and does two things..

Holds the Lock, AND the targeting info it has gathered...

I can't tell you how many games i have dropped a lock on "HOTEL" only to come back and re-grab it as someone else is twisting, or ducking.. and then we move on to the next target...

The end of the game comes.. and its a roll or maybe its like the other day, when it finished 12-8 or 12-10.. and all because

AS A TEAM WE SHARE HOLDING LOCKS!!!!! Get it through your heads people.. this is how holding a lock works.. You don't always need to do it solo.. How do people NOT get this?

#514 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostExtremist Pain, on 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

MechWarrior is a team game. Im not sure where this belief that supporting your team is too much. For example, i was just asking for locks in a game and i was told to get my own locks. Im sorry if asking for a contribution is too much, but if you dont feel like being a member of the team, dont play a team based game. You think you can win this game without my help, go ahead and try. Ill enjoy watching you fail.

when i run missile boats i don't ask people to stick their necks out into the open for me, i just take locks when i get them, if none are coming then i'll stick my own neck out. and geez, that must be why i lose all the time...your greatness isn't there

#515 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 29 December 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

P.S. Assuming that ALL LRM carrying Mechs sit back @900m is simply a BS excuse and propaganda used by players who got called out for being a dbag and have found out that they aren't nearly as "popular" or supported in apublic forum as they thought they would be so it's used to shift focus off what was really being said and creates strawmen out of thin air so that they can still be "right" in not "holding locks"

FTFY :P

Am I reading this right? Are people arguing against getting (and holding) locks? All in the name of 'LRM boats should be playing the way I think they should.' Oooo...how unreasonable of a team mate to ask you to get a lock! Never mind that getting a lock is the equivalent of saying 'hey, look over hear...it's really important.' Never mind that just the threat of a flight of LRMs on the way are generally enough to pin or push back the enemy. None of that is as important as making someone else go and play the way 'you' think they should. No, I don't think an LRM boat sitting back at 900 to 1000 meters is them being a team player, but neither do I think expecting them to be within 300 to 400 meters of the enemy is reasonable. I would rather have their missiles than nothing at all...and if I don't get a lock, nothing at all is what I will get.

and now you see where the term tryhard comes in ;)

#516 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

Tryhard at this point seems to include "trying at all"

#517 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 29 December 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

Tryhard at this point seems to include "trying at all"

nah, it's come to encomass anyone who "dares" to rustle jimmies in the solo queue by being a heathen and suggesting any strats, tips, etc. to other players in the eyes of "I'm a solo player and you're not the boss of me" type players. ;)

Those are the ones I just mute and keep talking to the rest of the team usually.

#518 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 29 December 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

nah, it's come to encomass anyone who "dares" to rustle jimmies in the solo queue by being a heathen and suggesting any strats, tips, etc. to other players in the eyes of "I'm a solo player and you're not the boss of me" type players. ;)

Those are the ones I just mute and keep talking to the rest of the team usually.

Yep. That's what I mean though. They are trying to win. Putting forward effort. The other types are just showing up. Occupying space. Irrelevant readshirts. They want to win because they showed up, not because they put in the effort.

Edited by MischiefSC, 29 December 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#519 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Its funny, I have been having fun in my LRM 60 Hunchback IIC, and I have never had to ask others for locks. I either get them anyway as is the nature of the game, or I have LoS taking advantage of the tighter grouping when I have TAG on target. If you aren't moving with your team, you are doing it wrong. If you have to rely on your team to get your locks, you aren't moving with your team.

Do LRM boats expect direct fire mechs to stand out in the open to hold a lock for the LRM boat to hide and shoot LRMs? Why on earth would you expect that? And then you have the gall to tell them that they aren't being team players because they aren't putting you on their back and carrying you? Man... some LRM jockeys sure are an entitled folk.

#520 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 29 December 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Its funny, I have been having fun in my LRM 60 Hunchback IIC, and I have never had to ask others for locks. I either get them anyway as is the nature of the game, or I have LoS taking advantage of the tighter grouping when I have TAG on target. If you aren't moving with your team, you are doing it wrong. If you have to rely on your team to get your locks, you aren't moving with your team.

Do LRM boats expect direct fire mechs to stand out in the open to hold a lock for the LRM boat to hide and shoot LRMs? Why on earth would you expect that? And then you have the gall to tell them that they aren't being team players because they aren't putting you on their back and carrying you? Man... some LRM jockeys sure are an entitled folk.

They problem is that you're an elitist tryhard who hates LRM players for their freedom and doesn't understand real teamwork. Clearly you'll never be that good with LRMS. They're hard mode anyway. Go back to your scrub tier laser vomit and ruin the game for all the real players.

I think I got all the BS spergrage glurge in that. I miss anything?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users